Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Stheno wrote: »
    How many people on this thread who used work in offices but can now work from home would continue to do so for say three months if it was suggested?

I was WFH for a day or two a week before this anyway. It's been enjoyable to have lunch with my family and get to see them more. However, been extra calls, meetings, and work load it's the busiest I've ever been and I would work long enough hours anyway.
    A mix would still be my preferred option though. Yes, VCs are good but there's nothing like getting actual face time with people.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

JRant wrote: »
    I still can't wrap my head around why he is seen to be doing such a great job.

PPE for health care workers - fail
    Protecting the elderly - fail
    Adequate testing - fail

That's 3 massive failures alone and himself and Leo need to be held to account for all of them.

It was clear at the beginning that they had no plan going into these phased restrictions and it's also clear they haven't the foggiest on how to get the country out of them.

I suppose himself and Leo have been clear and concise in what they've been saying, when people want instructions and answers from politicians. When you see Boris and Donald being a bit all over the place it made our politicians look good.
    I personally think it's OTT the praise being lavished on them, SH is just a mouthpiece for civil servants and medical experts, and Leo is just reading out some scripts saying we have to stay indoors and what have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Officials in Spain believe 15 in every 16 cases go unreported

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-04-08/spain-to-test-30000-families-for-the-coronavirus.html

Please sweet Jesus be true

Undetected rather than unreported.
    Many people report symptoms but don't pass a threshold for testing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Forever if it was allowed :pac:

Getting more done and finding it more peaceful. Not a fan of our large open plan office rammed with people.

I think it will be supported by government as part of a gradual lifting of restrictions

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Been a big believer of this for a while now, worldwide. I'd say the vast majority are showing no symptoms at all.

First thing we have ever agreed on on this subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

First thing we have ever agreed on on this subject.

No hugging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

KiKi III wrote: »
    So who do you think should be making the decisions? (Third time asking)

The decisions cannot just be medical based, economic sensibilities have to be considered. Whether that is uncomfortable for people is irrelevant. Feck all point in trying to save people to lose thousands in the coming years because of an economic wasteland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The main reason that medical care workers are testing positive in such high numbers is because they are actually testing them.

It's not just because they are catching it in Hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

The decisions cannot just be medical based, economic sensibilities have to be considered. Whether that is uncomfortable for people is irrelevant. Feck all point in trying to save people to lose thousands in the coming years because of an economic wasteland.

Based on her last post, the only reply you are going to get is "oooh, ooooh, ahhhhh.'

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Maud Flanders stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I mean, yes, but a lot of people are getting through this by enjoying a few more drinks than usual. I'm not a big drinker but I've been having a glass with dinner fairly regularly and it's stopping me going completely insane.

It's also probably not great for alcoholics to have a forced withdrawal - I saw a doctor talking about this on TV the other day. Maybe one of the reasons they haven't been forced to close?

This ties in with a point I made earlier about how a point comes where the populace stop listening to experts.

I suppose himself and Leo have been clear and concise in what they've been saying, when people want instructions and answers from politicians. When you see Boris and Donald being a bit all over the place it made our politicians look good.
    I personally think it's OTT the praise being lavished on them, SH is just a mouthpiece for civil servants and medical experts, and Leo is just reading out some scripts saying we have to stay indoors and what have you.

Boris and the Donald is a very low bar to set. I haven't gotten the impression of them being clear and concise at all. They both just parrot the same buzzwords and catchphrases about acting on medical advise. If these restrictions are to be extended then let people know in good time. I don't care if it's 2 weeks or a month but they can't keep drip feeding information out to the public. Make a call and go with it. If we leave it up to some medical panel we'll be shutdown till a vaccine appears.

Maud Flanders stuff

It will prevent excess alcohol consumption leading to long term illness and reduce the risk of people sustaining injuries from incidents which can happen due to an excess of alcohol in the system, if someone falls due to that then it will take up the use of the emergency services who have better things to do that look after people who get pissed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

They should close them tomorrow night holy thursday for old time sake, then look at the que's for stockpiling booze for an indefinite amount of time 9.59.

Offies are only open due to the panic buying it would cause to close them. Its nothing to do with an essential service or keeping moral up, its just basic common sense.

Boris and the Donald is a very low bar to set. I haven't gotten the impression of them being clear and concise at all. They both just parrot the same buzzwords and catchphrases about acting on medical advise. If these restrictions are to be extended then let people know in good time. I don't care if it's 2 weeks or a month but they can't keep drip feeding information out to the public. Make a call and go with it. If we leave it up to some medical panel we'll be shutdown till a vaccine appears.

That's a tactic. If they came out and said we'd be locked down for 3 months, people would revolt. Doing it a bit at a time is easier for people to digest and get used to.

It's also probably not great for alcoholics to have a forced withdrawal - I saw a doctor talking about this on TV the other day. Maybe one of the reasons they haven't been forced to close?

With the restrictions on movement we're withdraw from a lot of activities that kept us sane, so sacrifices have to be made during the pandemic...

It will prevent excess alcohol consumption leading to long term illness and reduce the risk of people sustaining injuries from incidents which can happen due to an excess of alcohol in the system, if someone falls due to that then it will take up the use of the emergency services who have better things to do that look after people who get pissed..

Not many drunks in A&E at the moment.

With the restrictions on movement we're withdraw from a lot of activities that kept us sane, so sacrifices have to be made during the pandemic...

I'm not being rude, but do you know what alcohol withdrawal is actually like? It's no joke, and has a high chance of requiring hospital resources.

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    They should close them tomorrow night holy thursday for old time sake, then look at the que's for stockpiling booze for an indefinite amount of time 9.59.
    Offies are only open due to the panic buying it would cause to close them. Its nothing to do with an essential service or keeping moral up, its just basic common sense.

Close them this weekend, the amount of people i've seen buying slabs of cheap booze, who are going to sit at home and drink all day..
    It will lead to an increase in alcohol related violence in the home also.

I'm not being rude, but do you know what alcohol withdrawal is actually like? It's no joke, and has a high chance of requiring hospital resources.

If someone is that bad then surely they would be receiving treatment from their Doctors already?
    You can't just say that people should keep boozing as a treatment for alcohol withdrawal, just doesn't make medical sense...

Have we seen a spike in this over the past 3/4 weeks. By all accounts A&E departments are almost empty

Bathtub Gin time so.

That's a tactic. If they came out and said we'd be locked down for 3 months, people would revolt. Doing it a bit at a time is easier for people to digest and get used to.

Oh I'm sure it is. Now imagine you were a small business owner trying to keep a company alive under that kind of never ending continuations. It's an impossible way to run a country. People will adjust easier when they can put some longer term planning in place for their own actions. Right now we haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Been a big believer of this for a while now, worldwide. I'd say the vast majority are showing no symptoms at all.

Here's something I just looked at

USA
    Cases: 426,659 Deaths: 14,632

Spain
    Cases: 148,220 Deaths: 14,792

Italy
    Cases: 139,422 Deaths: 17,669

See the massive difference between the US and Italy and Spain? There is no way with respect to the US they are so superior that they are keeping their rate so low in relation to the others

That means there has to be far far more infected out there

Have we seen a spike in this over the past 3/4 weeks. By all accounts A&E departments are almost empty

We haven't but never waste an opportunity to impose your agenda , values on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

lbj666 wrote: »

Some, of the cloth, would say it brings your morals down....
    And they should know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Stheno wrote: »
    How many people on this thread who used work in offices but can now work from home would continue to do so for say three months if it was suggested?
    Wouldn't be surprised if the government encourage the WFH to continue for another month or two even as restrictions are lifted
    It makes sense until you spend about 10 seconds thinking of the unintended consequences of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Here's something I just looked at

USA
    Cases: 426,659 Deaths: 14,632

Spain
    Cases: 148,220 Deaths: 14,792

Italy
    Cases: 139,422 Deaths: 17,669

See the massive difference between the US and Italy and Spain? There is no way with respect to the US they are so superior that they are keeping their rate so low in relation to the others

That means there has to be far far more infected out there

I'd say you could multiply the official numbers by at least 10 worldwide probably even multiples of that. I'm not even adverse to the thinking that's its been in the community for months now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement