Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

KiKi III wrote: »
    You're right. It can't, and it won't. Public policy isn't decided by that Boards thread. Don't be freaking yourself out over something that's blatantly not going to happen.

You have agreed with my point.

I’ll not freak out, have you seen Mr Holohan’s latest approach.

Those guys have no plan is the issue, so I’ve a funny feeling he’s posting somewhere on that thread to support the white flag fanatics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The sooner restrictions are lifted the better but I fear its a long way off

Well it mightn't be for the better if they are lifted soon, that's the thing. Could totally overwhelm healthcare and cause lots more vulnerable to die and get sick.
    I just have to hope that the people in charge are listening to experts in this field, which I assume they are, because none of us know what the best course of action is now economically and from a health perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ITman88 wrote: »
    Ah FFS.

Not a plan in the world.

At some point, someone somewhere in Ireland needs to suggest an economic assessment.

Media loving doctors will not preform that economic assessment.

Your man is a Doctor, he's going to give the view of this from his angle. Other voices will come into play as the initial crisis subsides. A bit of patience required right now until we reach the initial peak of this.

In the meantime upscaling the ability of the health service to deal with any subsequent increases and effective treatments becoming available will determine the ability of as much of the economy as possible to get back into full operation.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Your man is a Doctor, he's going to give the view of this from his angle. Other voices will come into play as the initial crisis subsides. A bit of patience required right now until we reach the initial peak of this.

Thing is they won’t consider an economic assessment until its far to late.

We don’t have a track record of foresight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Those guys have no plan is the issue, so I’ve a funny feeling he’s posting somewhere on that thread to support the white flag fanatics

Holohan didn't say "lockdown for 18 months".

He said the truth, that they can't put a timeline on it right now. That doesn't mean it's going to go in indefinitely, it means he can't give you the timetable you so desperately want right now.

It would be wrong of him to give the country false hope and say "Restrictions lifted in 4 weeks and we'll all be grand by the summer holidays" even though that's what some people really want to hear.

Right now, every government department is planning for a number of scenarios. And their plans are changing on a daily basis because the situation is changing on a daily basis.

I understand that a lot of people are having trouble dealing with this level of uncertainty, but you'll have to learn to live with it for the next while. It's literally your only option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Take this nonsense to conspiracy theory forum. The man is far too busy to be interested in an online forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not the man's job to plan for the future, he's there to deal with what's happening now and to minimize losses.

That's his brief, future planning and acceptable risk etc are for others, he can only advise.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

jmayo wrote: »
    Well officially China is doing ok.
    And they are saving the world now selling them PPE and test kits.

Never mind that the PPE is substandard and sometimes nearly half the test kits are faulty.

It's the thought that counts.

Just to lighten the mood and to make all those stir crazy anti-lockdowners feel better, county yourself lucky you don't live in Turkmenistan.

The current leader, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow, once a dentist and head of dept of health which carried out his predecessors bright idea to close all rural hospitals and only have them in the Capital city and major regional towns.
    The plan was centralisation of services.
    The HSE hierarchy would have loved his plans on creation of centres of excellence. :D

Berdimuhamedow (I dare anyone to pronounce it) is a bit of an old totalitarian but he is very very popular getting 97% of the vote. ;)
    He writes books, songs and does a bit of DJing.

Now to be fair he reversed some of the weird changes of his predecessor, Saparmurat Saparmurat Niyazov, who makes him look like a paragon of sanity.
    Not alone did Niyazov close hospitals, he chopped pensions of 100,000, forced people to read and study his autobiography which led to people being examined on it in interviews for state jobs.
    And his biggest claim to fame was his idea to rename the days of week and months of year after family and terms in his autobiography.

Now old Niyazov did have some good ideas.
    He banned lip syncing at concerts and who could argue with that.
    He banned dogs from the capital, no more dog shyte on the footpath.
    He banned smoking in public and in government offices, and he banned chewing tobacco.
    He banned news reporters and presenters from using makeup while on TV.
    He outlawed opera and ballet.
    He banned the Turkmen word for bread and named it after his mother.

Nice he showed his appreciation for his mother.

Corona would seem to be the least of the issues facing Turkmenistan's population. :(
    Didn't he put a tax on beards too?
    If you have seen Dark Tourist on Netflix, there's an episode where he goes there, it's a crazy weird place, the capital is like some weird Las Vegas in an alternate universe.

This all sounds amazing
    giphy.gif

salmocab wrote: »
    Take this nonsense to conspiracy theory forum. The man is far too busy to be interested in an online forum.

It was obviously sarcasm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It was obviously sarcasm!

Well not obviously but apologies anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd be very surprised if the current level of restrictions were eased in anything less than a month, either in the UK or Ireland. I'm not expecting to see any different until well into May, and even then it'll be limited and staggered reopenings, IMO.

I'd be very surprised if they help current restriction levels for another month. Can't see that happening. No one knows so it's futile guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

The restrictions have changed some lives more than others.

We have 850k on the unemployment benefit.
    Who may/may not have a job back.

Hotels and tourism has 11m visitors last year. That’s not coming back this year.
    Airlines will collapse by May/June ending cheap travel.

Sport/concerts relies on disposable income. Those who kept jobs have disposable income built up, 850k have not. Premier league clubs are under unbelievable financial strain, and they are built on fans using disposable income to attend matches/buy merchandise.

We are not living with Covid, we are static, and it appears we will remain static for some time.

People are have been driven to a state of hysteria by the media and have lost all confidence to stand beside a stranger.

Airlines won't collapse! Not the major ones anyway, they (like banks) are too big and important to fail.

People want to live their lives and the economy will come back gradually. Even people who have lost their jobs and will be short on funds will still go to the cinema or out for an ice cream on a sunny day.

And those who will have saved a fortune during the shutdown months will be back out spending once we're back!

Thing is they won’t consider an economic assessment until its far to late.

We don’t have a track record of foresight

They? who are they exactly?

I disagree. I don't think for one minute that they (if you mean all the powers that be in this country and in wider EU and Europe) are not considering other aspects of this. It's not in anyone's interests to run down economies.

Surrender monkeys is the phrase your reaching for there ITman. Listen to Trump, he's got lots of quips and soundbites that you need.

It's literally your only option.

Exactly, I have no option, the restriction’s are now law, being enforced by Gardai who have undertaken 5 weeks training in Templemore.

Is that the actions of ministers who are applying a calculated approach to this crisis?

They? who are they exactly?

I disagree. I don't think for one minute that they (if you mean all the powers that be in this country and in wider EU and Europe) are not considering other aspects of this. It's not in anyone's interests to run down economies.

Other countries are considering the complete assessment of economic vs healthcare.
    Italy and Poland looking at easing restrictions this week to restart economy.
    Our approach is wait and see.

We have a unique population and it requires a unique approach.

This virus affects mostly over 65s of which Italy has 15m.
    We have 600k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Surrender monkeys is the phrase your reaching for there ITman. Listen to Trump, he's got lots of quips and soundbites that you need.

"Coronavirus is just a liberal hoax to stop me from getting re-elected" is my favourite.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Other countries are considering the complete assessment of economic vs healthcare.

We have 600k.

Our approach is to try to get to the other side of this initial peak and then assess the situation and wider implications.

We need to get the timing right and it's not just about older people it's about managing the situation so that the health service doesn't become snowed under.

Thankfully panic merchants like you aren't in charge pressing the panic button prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

We have 600k.

What do you think the Departments For Finance, Business and Enterprise, Employment and Social Protection, Foreign Affairs and An Taoiseach are all focused on right now?

Their entire staff are focused on managing the current crisis and scenario planning for the future. They can't tell us what the plan is until they know which scenario plays out.

Do you honestly think these thousands of civil servants are just sitting on their hands going "ah sure, we'll wait and see".

They're hard at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Well it mightn't be for the better if they are lifted soon, that's the thing. Could totally overwhelm healthcare and cause lots more vulnerable to die and get sick.

Yeah that could happen but we have greatly increase capacity

Like you say we don't know

Sure apparently we were meant to be at 15,000 cases by end of March according to Leo

Restrictions are apparently working and are not meant longterm

Even Harris has admitted this

Restrictions since March 12th to Easter Sunday is 32 days

Add the expected 2 weeks that's 46 days

Add further two most people expect bringing us to 10th of May that's 60 days

60 days of not seeing family, friends and for those in relationships not living together

• Advertisement

Our approach is to try to get to the other side of this initial peak and then assess the situation and wider implications.

We need to get the timing right and it's not just about older people it's about managing the situation so that the health service doesn't become snowed under.

Thankfully panic merchants like you aren't in charge pressing the panic button prematurely.

Our approach is cripple the economy and slightly prolong lives.

The thing is the restrictions might have jack all effect on the numbers admitted to ICU, and it may be much more to do with sparse population and over 14m less vulnerable people.

You can be assured the restriction will be credited with the reduction in deaths etc by people overjoyed by the restrictions.

Stira stairs Shelia’s joy will be short lived when her benefits get cut however

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    60 days of not seeing family, friends and for those in relationships not living together

I'm currently the only family member in Ireland right now, parents and brother in different countries with no way of getting back if they wanted.
    Can't see friends either or partner, we don't live together. But Jasus it's a few weeks of your life, we'll manage.

Do you honestly think these thousands of civil servants are just sitting on their hands going "ah sure, we'll wait and see".

They're hard at work.

Ah FFS Kiki I’m after spitting out my coffee with that statement

Even if we opened everything up tomorrow, the economy is still a basket case with no one wanting to go out, and the rest of the world being in shutdown.
    This isn't solely down to the Irish Government's approach to the situation, it's a global economy and a global problem, so whatever we do here won't make much of a difference anyway, our GDP will be way down and unemployment skyrocketing.

The thing is the restrictions might have jack all effect on the numbers admitted to ICU, and it may be much more to do with sparse population and over 14m less vulnerable people.

You can be assured the restriction will be credited with the reduction in deaths etc by people overjoyed by the restrictions.

Stira stairs Shelia’s joy will be short lived when her benefits get cut however

Seriously you need to chill out with this carry on, no one is overjoyed with restrictions. You sound totally paranoid when you go on with that stuff.

"Stira stairs Sheila" :pac: You should start writing these quips down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there are way less cars on the road since this extra clamp down. I dont have an issue with that, I think building should get going again. Stay strict on clamp down and needless trips, causing spread of virus. Building going again will increase spread, but at least its putting huge amounts back into employment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'm currently the only family member in Ireland right now, parents and brother in different countries with no way of getting back if they wanted.
    Can't see friends either or partner, we don't live together. But Jasus it's a few weeks of your life, we'll manage.

You need to think about people less fortunate than ourselves who are locked down in awful circumstances.

Childline and domestic abuse helpline calls have increased +25% in volume over the past few weeks.

A lot of people suffering quietly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Seriously you need to chill out with this carry on, no one is overjoyed with restrictions. You sound totally paranoid when you go on with that stuff.

"Stira stairs Sheila" :pac: You should start writing these quips down.

People find themselves in the strangest situation they have ever encountered in their lives, what gives you the right to tell anyone how they should act?
    If their comments irritate you why not scroll by?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

You need to think about people less fortunate than ourselves who are locked down in awful circumstances.

Childline and domestic abuse helpline calls have increased +25% in volume over the past few weeks.

A lot of people suffering quietly.

Absolutely

Major damage being done

Elderly parents getting older without seeing family and in despair

Children without school

30% of the country out of work#

People afraid to talk to each other and suspicious minds

No proper testing

Empty hospitals - where is the crisis?

Rule by diktak based on TV broadcasts. Is this for real.

Did the govt or CMO consult the over 70s before locking them in ? or the public? Democracy or authoritarian rule it sure seems like the latter

And worst is the total absence of any questioning by any politician , only one I heard was Brendan O Connor on RTE last Sat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there are way less cars on the road since this extra clamp down. I dont have an issue with that, I think building should get going again. Stay strict on clamp down and needless trips, causing spread of virus. Building going again will increase spread, but at least its putting huge amounts back into employment...

Buy some logo to satisfy your needs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement