Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

brutes1 wrote: »
    Absolutely

Major damage being done

Elderly parents getting older without seeing family and in despair

Children without school

30% of the country out of work#

People afraid to talk to each other and suspicious minds

No proper testing

Empty hospitals - where is the crisis?

Rule by diktak based on TV broadcasts. Is this for real.

Did the govt or CMO consult the over 70s before locking them in ? or the public? Democracy or authoritarian rule it sure seems like the latter

And worst is the total absence of any questioning by any politician , only one I heard was Brendan O Connor on RTE last Sat
    Instead of covid-19 how about calling it 'covid-1984' instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

People find themselves in the strangest situation they have ever encountered in their lives, what gives you the right to tell anyone how they should act?
    If their comments irritate you why not scroll by?

I'm commenting on him and others (you included) that keep saying there are some who are secretly enjoying the restrictions and that is informing some of the decision making and attitudes on the wider implications of this. They're not, get that out of your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I'm currently the only family member in Ireland right now, parents and brother in different countries with no way of getting back if they wanted.
    Can't see friends either or partner, we don't live together. But Jasus it's a few weeks of your life, we'll manage.

Good that you're well able to cope

Others in similar circumstances to you are not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Good that you're well able to cope

Others in similar circumstances to you are not

It seems to me the vast majority of people are coping, of course it's harder for some though. I think you're all underestimating people anyway, people have dealt with far worse. Anyway we don't really have a choice, we have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

I think you're all underestimating people anyway, people have dealt with far worse.

Exactly, we have dealt with far worse than Covid without shutting the country down and entering a police state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ITman88 wrote: »
    Exactly, we have dealt with far worse than Covid without shutting the country down and entering a police state.

Hardly a police state, people are out everywhere. We've been asked to stay home and go out only for exercise or go to the shops, you're exaggerating. And it's not permanent, a couple of months probably at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

The US are saying that they expect to hit peak on Sunday. If true, it suggests that we are not being told the truth here in Ireland. I would love to see the stats excluding the nursing homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

you obviously never lived in a police state...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

polesheep wrote: »
    The US are saying that they expect to hit peak on Sunday. If true, it suggests that we are not being told the truth here in Ireland. I would love to see the stats excluding the nursing homes.

Truth as regards to what?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A lot of people are coping also on the assumption that this is a temporary one off event to "flatten the curve".

As soon as chatter about lengthy lockdowns begin you will start to see a lot of slippage and people starting to lose the run of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/

If people are saying they don't beleive what China are reporting, they certinaly won't be believeing what the US is reporting.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If there’s anyone not telling the truth I would be a lot more suspicious of their government than ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I'm commenting on him and others (you included) that keep saying there are some who are secretly enjoying the restrictions and that is informing some of the decision making and attitudes on the wider implications of this. They're not, get that out of your head.

I'll take the time to respond to you once more. Firstly I have used the phrase lock down fetishist once and my only reference to those that seem to enjoy same.
    My situation is quite benign actually rural house on an acre of land 1O miles from nearest town. So getting out for a run/walk twice a day no issue. Few neighbours some distance from me. Still working and will be eventhough I'm on a week's leave next week. My work is essential.
    I don't presume to tell others how they should feel or use asinine comments like 'suck it up'.
    As I said dislike a comment scroll on by, a tactic I use with the majority of yours.
    Now it's a discussion forum people are entitled to voice their thoughts if you have issues with that maybe a different outlet would suit better.
    Feel free to reply but I will however be using my already explained tactic of scrolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭bladespin

The US is following a different dynamic to Ireland for a multitude of reasons, govt policy, population density, geography etc etc, don' try to figure out our stats on their model.

Also, I'd suspect our politicians are a lot more honest and open than the US govt.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

salmocab wrote: »
    If there’s anyone not telling the truth I would be a lot more suspicious of their government than ours.

I wouldn't. There are far more people in the chain over there, which makes hiding the truth very difficult. Here, on the other hand, we have a record of concealing the truth that is second to none.

People won’t take much more unless we get an indication tomorrow of when life can begin to get back to normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wouldn't. There are far more people in the chain over there, which makes hiding the truth very difficult. Here, on the other hand, we have a record of concealing the truth that is second to none.

Well each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If we are 2 weeks behind Italy we are due to reach our peak tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

brutes1 wrote: »
    Absolutely

Major damage being done

Elderly parents getting older without seeing family and in despair

Children without school

30% of the country out of work#

People afraid to talk to each other and suspicious minds

No proper testing

Empty hospitals - where is the crisis?

Rule by diktak based on TV broadcasts. Is this for real.

Did the govt or CMO consult the over 70s before locking them in ? or the public? Democracy or authoritarian rule it sure seems like the latter

And worst is the total absence of any questioning by any politician , only one I heard was Brendan O Connor on RTE last Sat

Do you have any idea what is going on in the world today?

Before the crisis, what was your view on the quality of life of elderly people in the community?
    How do you feel about those in direct provision who have experienced for years similar to what many are now experiencing for a few weeks?
    What about those trying to raise children in hotel rooms?
    Or what about disabled people who experience restricted access and movement throughout society constantly.
    Or what about the caregivers who for years have felt that they have been ignored and left unsupported to look after vulnerable family members.

I would expect that someone with the above thoughts would have long been a champion for human rights and isn't just using this situation to shout about conspiracy theories and throw accusations at the government.

• Advertisement

More scaremongering.

The language used “could” “may”.

The media are loving this, click bait tripe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Our approach is cripple the economy and slightly prolong lives.

The thing is the restrictions might have jack all effect on the numbers admitted to ICU, and it may be much more to do with sparse population and over 14m less vulnerable people.

You can be assured the restriction will be credited with the reduction in deaths etc by people overjoyed by the restrictions.

Stira stairs Shelia’s joy will be short lived when her benefits get cut however

This comment says it all about your attitude. The old and those with illnesses are collateral damage. Is that right?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Truth as regards to what?

The peak. If the nursing homes are isolated and their figures discounted, I believe the stats would show that we have already passed the peak. We are not being given an open and honest breakdown of the stats for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

To be blunt and honest with people, the restrictions that are in place are not going to be lifted tomorrow, we're going to have to keep at it.”

"What we're hoping to be able to do is show people what the journey looks like....if we keep at this for another couple of weeks, where does it bring us, what does success look like?".

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/simon-harris-restrictions-that-are-in-place-are-not-going-to-be-lifted-tomorrow-993132.html

I wont be holding my breath that they know what the journey will be like

It would definitely help people to know the plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The lockdown Fetishists will be delighted- another business down the drain. Soon there won’t be much left to go to bar supermarkets and nothing to spend
    https://www.businesspost.ie/companies/debenhams-to-put-its-irish-arm-into-liquidation-49b98491

Do you have any idea what is going on in the world today?

Before the crisis, what was your view on the quality of life of elderly people in the community?
    How do you feel about those in direct provision who have experienced for years similar to what many are now experiencing for a few weeks?
    What about those trying to raise children in hotel rooms?
    Or what about disabled people who experience restricted access and movement throughout society constantly.
    Or what about the caregivers who for years have felt that they have been ignored and left unsupported to look after vulnerable family members.

My view is those groups need a prosperous economy to fund the necessary support’s required to provided a reasonable standard of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Sconsey

...I have used the phrase lock down fetishis...I don't presume to tell others how they should feel or use asinine comments.

In the same post!

The peak. If the nursing homes are isolated and their figures discounted, I believe the stats would show that we have already passed the peak. We are not being given an open and honest breakdown of the stats for a reason.

So your saying these restrictions are unnecessary?

This comment says it all about your attitude. The old and those with illnesses are collateral damage. Is that right?

No, but as per my last comment, the old and those with illness, need a prosperous economy to provide funding to the supports need to maintain a quality of life for those groups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

My view is those groups need a prosperous economy to fund the necessary support’s required to provided a reasonable standard of living.

Cool. Hope to see you posting in support of improved conditions and benefits for these groups when this is all over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement