Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

John Bishop tells the story of how, when he was younger acting, in one scene he had to kiss a girl, a well known actress, who he really fancied. He focussed on the job, he was wearing a tracksuit and a 'result' became obvious. The actress was very amused.

Why is Marianne's brother such an embittered asshole?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Why is Marianne's brother such an embittered asshole?

Possibly a result of having an abusive plank for a father. And his broken mother lets him away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Before tonight I had watched to episode 5.
    After seeing it all, it is over hyped and depended on the nude scenes to sensationalise it. Take that out and it was nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It reminds me of the film Boyhood. Meanders along, seeing the central characters grow up, but feck all actually happens in the film itself.

Beautifully shot alright, but lacking punch. Very much over-hyped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Only people who seem to rate this show are British and Irish college girls aka fiat 500 twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Lisha wrote: »
    Possibly a result of having an abusive plank for a father. And his broken mother lets him away with it.

And is quite ugly and quite thick and doesn't have the opportunities Marianne has, so he resents her for being attractive and intelligent. One of those people who blames everyone but himself for all his woes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Is this just not My so called Life with sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

ted1 wrote:
    I always enjoy playing slot the location with Irish shows. Shankill and Killiney being used for Dublin and Sligo scenes

St Pats college also lookin well for some of the Sweden college scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

Too much hype about this series. Most of which is mainly attributable to the sex scenes.

The story line is bland and most of the characters are boring. However, saying that, it is probably one of the main reasons why I think I’m drawn to it. Just like those characters, most of us viewers are ‘boring’ individuals and live bland lives.

I really enjoy the early connection we have made with both of the main actors. I think most people including myself find aspects of their lives which are relatable to ours. Also, the series places a heavy emphasis on the feelings of each character, a technique which also draws in viewers. I’m looking forward for next weeks episode.

• Advertisement

Its probably gone that bit over the top for me this week. The neverending Connell/Marianne story is getting a little bit boring. Its over-reliant on sex scenes too. I'm not being prudish about them or anything but im not quite sure whats the actual point of them at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I find this whole TV depiction very unrealistic, where is the security guard telling them to move on for drinking cans on the Pav lawn?

I find this whole TV depiction very unrealistic, where is the security guard telling them to move on for drinking cans on the Pav lawn?

Can you not do that? Pretty sure you could when I was there. Sure where else would you drink your warm can of Tuborg?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Can you not do that? Pretty sure you could when I was there. Sure where else would you drink your warm can of Tuborg?

You could for a while Lainey, but then if they didn't like the cut of your jib, they would try to move you on. Maybe they could tell I was a Belfield rascal with fake dubes . all I wanted to do was enjoy the fine sunshine and high flying cricket 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its probably gone that bit over the top for me this week. The neverending Connell/Marianne story is getting a little bit boring. Its over-reliant on sex scenes too. I'm not being prudish about them or anything but im not quite sure whats the actual point of them at the same time.

Demonstrating unabashed youthfulness and trying to navigate lust versus love when you're young. I thought the scenes were fantastically tender and I'm a guy in my 40s. I actually felt a cross between jealousy and homesickness wishing I could be that age again and fix some of the stupid things I did on girls. One girl in particular......

Very evocative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

This was probably the least believable part of the whole series for me.
    She says she enjoys her life there, but does she? She's totally cut off from her family, some friendships have dissolved, her college lifestyle is over. Would it not be more realistic to go with the person you love and have an adventure in New York? Is it more than she wants Connell to grow as a person on his own? And maybe her too?

The ending......didn't read the book BTW.
    Marianne in encouraging him to go. I think she consciously believes it would be better for his personal growth, if he went alone, without her as an emotional crutch. She would probably love to go, and stay with him, but she is putting his needs first. Again the director is trying to show us the depth of her love for him with this selfless act.
    She can see he is right on the edge of pushing through the shyness, self doubt and anxiety that has plagued him for years. She is strong, confident and wise enough to know that if it's meant to be they will be together again. The nature of this type of university appointments is temporary, and they both know that.

How some people this series is just about the sex is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

It's an engrossing drama about relationships. I'm finding it hard to fault really. One of the better things we've seen on TV in recent years. It's also a drama for a higher intellect, so no wonder it irks the Joe Duffy crowd, who cannot see beyond the sex scenes.

Cal4567 wrote: »
    It's an engrossing drama about relationships. I'm finding it hard to fault really. One of the better things we've seen on TV in recent years. It's also a drama for a higher intellect, so no wonder it irks the Joe Duffy crowd, who cannot see beyond the sex scenes.

I’m enjoying it but not sure it’s for a “higher intellect”. It’s no “The Virtues”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wonder if there should be a separate thread for people watching week by week on RTE, it's a bit of a minefield going through this thread trying to avoid spoilers

I’m enjoying it but not sure it’s for a “higher intellect”. It’s no “The Virtues”.

It's interesting that you compare them - Stephen Graham's performance (in The Virtues) was heartbreaking - I had never known a tv series to have had such a deep impact on me.
    But, Paul Mescal is certainly in the same league - the story itself may not be as devastating, but the depiction of human frailties is very much on a comparable level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Only people who seem to rate this show are British and Irish college girls aka fiat 500 twitter

That would be “fiat 500 Twatter”..

but I digress... something different, something new, something alternative, probably why I enjoyed it... I am sick of looking at Housewives as there is F*** all on American TV.

Cal4567 wrote: »

I don't know if it's about intellect. More emotional intelligence and empathy. There's a sizeable minority of people who downright don't seem to get any of the subtleties or emotion in it at all. I can't fathom how anyone could watch this series and think it was boring or pointless, but if all you're seeing is the plotline itself, then maybe you would think that?

The sex scenes barely even registered for me. They could take them all out and it wouldn't make an enormous difference to the story or how the series makes me feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I don't know if it's about intellect. More emotional intelligence and empathy. There's a sizeable minority of people who downright don't seem to get any of the subtleties or emotion in it at all. I can't fathom how anyone could watch this series and think it was boring or pointless, but if all you're seeing is the plotline itself, then maybe you would think that?

The sex scenes barely even registered for me. They could take them all out and it wouldn't make an enormous difference to the story or how the series makes me feel.

If it is discussed on Liveline today, it will be all about the nudity as that is all it had to get media attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Andrew00 wrote: »

And me, a fifty-something Irish dad, with no particular connection to the characters (rural GAA hero?), though I did go to Trinity a long, long time ago - but as an evening student, so there was no social scene.
    Not far along enough in the book yet but does it mention how Connell's family paid for Trinity on a single mothers wage. I presume he got a grant and would this be an issue in college? Do affluent student look down on poorer student who receive grants?
    He is shown as working two different jobs - waiter in Dublin and in the fuel station at home.

It's interesting that you compare them - Stephen Graham's performance (in The Virtues) was heartbreaking - I had never known a tv series to have had such a deep impact on me.
    But, Paul Mescal is certainly in the same league - the story itself may not be as devastating, but the depiction of human frailties is very much on a comparable level.

I’d have to completely disagree, I don’t think they’re at all comparable performances.

It’s good and I will see it to the end I just don’t think it is as some people have suggested “the best thing they’ve ever seen on TV”. I only started watching it on Tuesday having caught up on the RTE Player. I made the comparison to “My so called Life” because at times it (For me) was a bit angsty teen in dire need of perspective. I wouldn’t be lacking in either intellect or emotional intelligence either:

That being said I am enjoying it and regretting I didn’t read the book first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bit the bullet and watched the whole series . Acting was decent but following the timeline was a bit confusing

Few scenes should of went a different way. Doesn't paint Trinity students in a good way (all rich posh twats)

Overall decent series bit underwhelming at times

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Marianne suppose to be sex mad, a nympho :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭NSAman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Marianne suppose to be sex mad, a nympho :p

Typical Young wan from de country, let loose on the city... all too common!

ted1 wrote: »
    I always enjoy playing slot the location with Irish shows.
    Shankill and Killiney being used for Dublin and Sligo scenes

Thats fair enough, but i find alot of irish dramas probably waste a couple of minutes every episode with random shots of dublin before each scene.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Demonstrating unabashed youthfulness and trying to navigate lust versus love when you're young. I thought the scenes were fantastically tender and I'm a guy in my 40s. I actually felt a cross between jealousy and homesickness wishing I could be that age again and fix some of the stupid things I did on girls. One girl in particular......

Very evocative.

Fair enough. I think the acting is excellent and the shooting is absolutely brilliant....the storyline is probably realistic but i suppose im finding the whole story is become a little bit tiresome with the whole back and forth. There is undoubtedly loads of couples like Connall and Marianne out there. I suppose there is only so much of their story that appeals to me.

Advertisement