Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

You should definitely tell your imaginary niece that. And while you're at it, tell your 22-year-old cousin, if she exists, that you've been regaling strangers on the internet with imaginary conversations that you've definitely had with her to back up your shit interpretation of a television programme that you don't get. You should tell your 'customers' and 'clients' the same thing, if they exist, which they don't.

I thought that was the best one. Like who'd be talking to customers and clients about a tv show in a work environment :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I thought that was the best one. Like who'd be talking to customers and clients about a tv show in a work environment :pac::pac:

Unless it did happen and they all had no choice but to agree with him just to get him off the phone.

Anyway, I've shown his posts to my entire family, my friends, customers and colleagues and every single one of them thinks he's talking bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Tork wrote: »
    I wonder how much domestic abuse went on in Marianne's home? Her brother certainly seemed to have picked up the mantle of abusive male in that house. I wonder was their mother afraid of him?

It was admirable that Connell didn't beat the living daylights out of Alan after he assaulted Marianne. At the time I was hoping he'd put him through the wall but I'm glad now that he didn't. It made him an even better person for not using his fists.

If I remember correctly, in the book she says that her father hit her. In the tv show she says "no" when asked about this. I wonder why they decided to change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If you missed the fact that Marianne's mother is an abusier you didn't understand the show at all.

I understood the show and the source material perfectly fine thanks; I simply disagree with your interpretation.

As above, I never said that she is neither abusive nor negligent in her role as a parent. This is clearly the case given that she allows Alan to behave in a disgusting way towards his sister.

As another poster points out, there is clearly some love there, albeit expressed in a pretty detached manner. It’s far more nuanced than branding the mother a ‘monster’. My view is that this merits further exploration if these characters are ever re-visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Only other niggle I had was the way in which Marianne's family were presented as heartless monsters, I would've liked this to have been fleshed out a bit more.

40 seconds or so showing the brother at hard graft would have sufficed.

Not a massive issue, it was easy to assume this but should've with the benefit of visuals, but he could have easily just been a rich layabout playing computer games all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I watched episodes 9 and 10 last night on the BBC. Both were a tough watch and really showcased the acting of the leads. Marianne said before that her father never hit her, whether thats true or not is up for debate. But living in that house has reverberated down through her life. Would she really be suggesting a submissive/dominating relationship if she didn't have the childhood she had?

And Connell after Rob's suicide was heartbreaking. The scene in the counsellors office where you could see him trying to keep it together as long as he could was excellent. The scene where he went to the funeral and Rob's dad shook his hand and kept saying "Good man Connell, I hear you're doing great things in Trinity." Was so realistic it was rough. I think we've all gone up to shake hands and someone in the family has said some pleasantry, but you can see them reeling. Its the little things like that that.

I felt bad for poor old Helen. She could never compete.

Derek's still a dick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

If I remember correctly, in the book she says that her father hit her. In the tv show, she says "no" when asked about this. I wonder why they decided to change this.

If she is being truthful about that, maybe they thought it was laying things on a bit too thickly. Didn't someone mention that in the book, the brother spat on her rather than the suds we saw in the show? Even with those parts toned down, we can still see that Marianne's family isn't the supportive, loving one that Connell has. From the little we saw of her mother, I can't quite figure out what's going on with her. She seemed to be doing enough parenting to make it look like she's doing the right thing but there's not a lot of warmth there.

Hrududu wrote: »
    I watched episodes 9 and 10 last night on the BBC. Both were a tough watch and really showcased the acting of the leads. Marianne said before that her father never hit her, whether thats true or not is up for debate. But living in that house has reverberated down through her life. Would she really be suggesting a submissive/dominating relationship if she didn't have the childhood she had?

And Connell after Rob's suicide was heartbreaking. The scene in the counsellors office where you could see him trying to keep it together as long as he could was excellent. The scene where he went to the funeral and Rob's dad shook his hand and kept saying "Good man Connell, I hear you're doing great things in Trinity." Was so realistic it was rough. I think we've all gone up to shake hands and someone in the family has said some pleasantry, but you can see them reeling. Its the little things like that that.

I felt bad for poor old Helen. She could never compete.

In the book her father did physically abuse/hit her

Tork wrote: »
    If she is being truthful about that, maybe they thought it was laying things on a bit too thickly. Didn't someone mention that in the book, the brother spat on her rather than the suds we saw in the show? Even with those parts toned down, we can still see that Marianne's family isn't the supportive, loving one that Connell has. From the little we saw of her mother, I can't quite figure out what's going on with her. She seemed to be doing enough parenting to make it look like she's doing the right thing but there's not a lot of warmth there.

Like a lot of family relationships they can be complicated and never quite what they seem on the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

absolute ****e and only talked about because it's set in ireland

• Advertisement

Dayjur wrote: »

Have you been talking to your 17 year old niece and 22 year old cousin as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dayjur wrote: »

This is exactly the type of comment i hear far more regularly when chatting to ppl as part of my client work

You should definitely tell your imaginary niece that. And while you're at it, tell your 22-year-old cousin, if she exists, that you've been regaling strangers on the internet with imaginary conversations that you've definitely had with her to back up your shit interpretation of a television programme that you don't get. You should tell your 'customers' and 'clients' the same thing, if they exist, which they don't.

Ok......so i am slow to reply to this as it’s verging on abuse but yes,They do exist.

For some reason ppl reporting negative opinions on this show seem to “trigger” irrational anger among the shows devotees.

Psychologists would have a field day once restrictions are eased up and they can interview such ppl as to why they lash out!

Since you ask, i work as a sales rep mainly servicing the east midlands north Kildare and south/west dublin county. Due to the current circumstances I have been asked to ring each store on a weekly and bi weekly basis to keep up client relations and also take orders. If you are still dubious about this go back through my post history over the past 5 years. Happy reading

This is exactly the type of comment i hear far more regularly when chatting to ppl as part of my client work

That account only registered a couple of days ago... did you make a new account so you could get someone to agree with you? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭A Consonant Please Carol

Jaysus, normal people is right...

Since you ask, i work as a sales rep mainly servicing the east midlands north Kildare and south/west dublin county. Due to the current circumstances I have been asked to ring each store on a weekly and bi weekly basis to keep up client relations and also take orders.

"...right so 50 units of product X, and 20 of product Y...ha that reminds me of Normal People...do you watch Normal People? You don't ah you're not missing much. I thin...my niece thinks, she's 17, my niece. She thinks its like Neigh...no Home and Away in Ire...no wait. Home. And. Away. On. The Wild. Atlantic. Way hahahahhahahahaha isn't that gas? Oh yeah sorry you said you don't watch it...well don't bother. Its ****e. I don't watch it. Cause nothing happens. And it has this fella in it...no I wont be much longer. This fella, and he's supposed to have gotten 600 points in the leaving....but he like, can't string a sentence together....sorry Oh yeah 100 units of Product Q right right...But like everyone loves it. And I HATE when people love something that I don't so I...Oh yeah, grand grand. Well hope all is well. I'll call again next week or maybe the week after because I think thats what bi weekly means...right...good luck..good luck."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Ok......so i am slow to reply to this as it’s verging on abuse but yes,They do exist.

For some reason ppl reporting negative opinions on this show seem to “trigger” irrational anger among the shows devotees.

Psychologists would have a field day once restrictions are eased up and they can interview such ppl as to why they lash out!

Since you ask, i work as a sales rep mainly servicing the east midlands north Kildare and south/west dublin county. Due to the current circumstances I have been asked to ring each store on a weekly and bi weekly basis to keep up client relations and also take orders. If you are still dubious about this go back through my post history over the past 5 years. Happy reading

*phone rings*

"It's him again..."

"Who?"

"Yer man, that rep who's always going on about that television programme"

"Normal People?"

"He's far from normal..."

"No, I mean the television programme... Normal People?"

"Sorry yeah, that's the one. How do I get rid of him?"

"For God's sake, just agree with him... and buy whatever he's selling"

"But we don't need..."

"Just buy it!"

Good sales technique, in fairness. That's what my beautiful wife thinks anyway. My beautiful wife, who definitely exists. Sorry, I have to go... she wants me to have sex with her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I thought BBC pace was excellent last night. Sweden episode was good but it was the following one really was a tough watch but equally unmissable. The aftermath of the suicide was really excellently done and I'll say again what I have said a number of times in the Thread while Connels character is a little questionable at times and i'm not sold on the whole mumbling genius thing but he's as good an actor as I have seen on TV this last year.

I was really confused about the Trinity Blonde girl (her name escapes me) at the Christmas party. Was that scene explained better in the book? I thought that they were friends and she started off at the thinly veiled conversation to piss him off..... Just seemed very much out of left field

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Using spoilers as I don't think these episodes have been aired on RTE yet.
    The Sweden episode and nose dive into BDSM was not my favourite part of the series. Felt suddenly a bit 50 Shades, and while I know the construct was around her majorly low self-esteem, I just didn't drink the kool-aid on that relationship at all.

The portrayal of suicide, depression and in particular that therapy scene are I think what this series will be remembered for in 10 years' time. I can't recall ever seeing those incredibly complicated issues portrayed so accurately, movingly and painfully on TV before. I really think that episode and that scene will not only win the series and Paul Mescal international awards, but will help so many people personally too. Particularly young men. I sat in silence for about ten minutes after it aired. It reminded me of so many male friends, relatives and it resonated in a deeply personal way for me too. Astonishing film-making, acting and script-writing from all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Yes for me the therapy scene was amazing. Very realistic. The heart break of the father saying good man’ to his son’s friends was so real and moving.

Even when I read the book I hated the bdsm stuff. I get that she was so damaged that she felt worthless but I felt it went too far.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    I was really confused about the Trinity Blonde girl (her name escapes me) at the Christmas party. Was that scene explained better in the book? I thought that they were friends and she started off at the thinly veiled conversation to piss him off..... Just seemed very much out of left field

I can see why that’s confusing. That Christmas party scene isn’t depicted in the book; it’s a deliberate insert in the TV series.

When Marianne breaks up with Jamie after the summer in Trieste, he starts spreading rumors about her, particularly about her sexual proclivities. It’s probably not obvious from the show, but Jamie is a ‘big man’ on campus, so these rumors spread far and wide. This trashed her reputation all around Trinity.

Basically, all of her ‘D4’ friends take Jamie’s side and pretty much cease contact after she moves to Sweden. The only exception is Joanna who stays in close contact. The last time Peggy appears directly in the book is the day Marianne is packing for Sweden. She pretty much implies that she is aligned with Jamie and that the friendship is over.

Marianne learns of the rumors circulating about her from Joanna. There’s an exchange where Joanna mentions that she was never really friends with that crowd and only tolerated them for Marianne’s sake. Marianne also asks Connell if he ever sees Peggy et al; he replies that he doesn’t and wouldn’t have anything to say to them anyway.

Hopefully, that clarifies it a little. I guess they were trying to convey that the friendship had disintegrated and that the upper-class crowd were slating her behind her back.

This isn’t an entirely unrealistic scenario. I think I mentioned this before, but you often have a much smaller, closer group of friends graduating vs. the wider, more superficial circles in the first couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Who’s Derek?

Qrt wrote: »
    Who’s Derek?
    The pal back home? Possibly misheard and he's called Eric?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Lisha wrote: »
    Yes for me the therapy scene was amazing. Very realistic. The heart break of the father saying good man’ to his son’s friends was so real and moving.

Even when I read the book I hated the bdsm stuff. I get that she was so damaged that she felt worthless but I felt it went too far.

Yeah....it seemed very awkwardly thrown in there, with little context. She basically says Jamie is into it and when Connell asks if she is too, she says yes. It seems to just come out of nowhere. Had she had an interest in it before? Was she really into it or just doing it for him? Did it come from some kind of trauma? It was the one thing in the series I found unrealistic and a bit silly. Not that she had this kink, but that it seemed so random.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

The pal back home? Possibly misheard and he's called Eric?

Yeah, think it's Eric. Absolute d1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The BDSM stuff reminded me of one of those cheesy films from the late 80s, early 90s that you'd catch on MGM Movies or something. Was only missing the sax solo in the background. That was a creative misstep I reckon.

Agree. My two cents - the production team gambled it would garner media attention so went with it

Agree. My two cents - the production team gambled it would garner media attention so went with it

Yawn!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It’s in the book . Pretty much exactly as the tv show. Especially the photo shoot. To me it felt wrong in the book too.

• Advertisement

It’s in the book . Pretty much exactly as the tv show. Especially the photo shoot. To me it felt wrong in the book too.

Same here. Really disliked it. Instead of going down the contrived BDSM route, Sally Rooney could have used the change of location to explore how a vulnerable person reacts to a new environment.

It could go one of two ways. Totally transformative in improving mental health and sense-of-self or cause them to spiral even further into a cycle of self-loathing. This plotline added little to the book or show.

Advertisement