Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yawn!:pac:

Thank you for such insightful commentary. Never give up ;)

Lisha wrote: »
    It’s in the book . Pretty much exactly as the tv show. Especially the photo shoot. To me it felt wrong in the book too.

I got the feeling they were looking for media attention - it’s already a mass market fodder type of show, it didn’t need to go even more down the 50 shades of grey route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Thank you for such insightful commentary. Never give up ;)

Why thank you, my 17 year old niece finds your posts boring, repetitive and lacking any kind of insightful critique. You're most welcome.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I got the feeling they were looking for media attention - it’s already a mass market fodder type of show, it didn’t need to go even more down the 50 shades of grey route.

So you have watched as far as episode 9? Or are you basing your latest analogy on absolutely nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You've made it perfectly clear that you dislike the show and consider it cheap fodder; that's totally fine. You're entitled to hold that opinion, even if you do repeat it ad-nauseam.

However, instead of focusing on the negatives, here are two broader positives to consider:

1. It captures a uniquely Irish milieu and brings a slice of Irish culture to an international audience, who would otherwise never experience it. This may drive future tourism to the country. Given the economic catastrophe we are facing, anything that has the potential to generate revenue in post-pandemic Ireland is something to be celebrated, right?

2. The show will act as a launch pad for Daisy Edgar Jones and Paul Mescal. Surrounded with the right guidance, their careers are likely to go stratospheric. These are two young people in their early 20s starting out in life. I'm sure a reasonable person such as yourself can get behind them and wish them well, right?

• Advertisement

Hamachi wrote: »
    You've made it perfectly clear that you dislike the show and consider it cheap fodder; that's totally fine. You're entitled to hold that opinion, even if you do repeat it ad-nauseam.

However, instead of focusing on the negatives, here are two broader positives to consider:

1. It captures a uniquely Irish milieu and brings a slice of Irish culture to an international audience, who would otherwise never experience it. This may drive future tourism to the country. Given the economic catastrophe we are facing, anything that has the potential to generate revenue in post-pandemic Ireland is something to be celebrated, right?

2. The show will act as a launch pad for Daisy Edgar Jones and Paul Mescal. Surrounded with the right guidance, their careers are likely to go stratospheric. These are two young people in their early 20s starting out in life. I'm sure a reasonable person such as yourself can get behind them and wish them well, right?

I’d tip Daisy EJ to go well in hollywood, not so much Mescal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I’d tip Daisy EJ to go well in hollywood, not so much Mescal

Funnily enough I would be the opposite. I'm not thinking A List but if he (Or she) pick the right project off the back of this they could do very well for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Joe Duffy will be busy tomorrow after those scenes.

I think people should be complaining more about the amount of people smoking in it. Disporportionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I don't know, it could be set anywhere. If they didn't have the music video style visuals the major take away from it would be it's f*****g grim out west unless you are secretly intellectually gifted or rich. Sweden made Ireland look dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Hrududu wrote: »
    "...right so 50 units of product X, and 20 of product Y...ha that reminds me of Normal People...do you watch Normal People? You don't ah you're not missing much. I thin...my niece thinks, she's 17, my niece. She thinks its like Neigh...no Home and Away in Ire...no wait. Home. And. Away. On. The Wild. Atlantic. Way hahahahhahahahaha isn't that gas? Oh yeah sorry you said you don't watch it...well don't bother. Its ****e. I don't watch it. Cause nothing happens. And it has this fella in it...no I wont be much longer. This fella, and he's supposed to have gotten 600 points in the leaving....but he like, can't string a sentence together....sorry Oh yeah 100 units of Product Q right right...But like everyone loves it. And I HATE when people love something that I don't so I...Oh yeah, grand grand. Well hope all is well. I'll call again next week or maybe the week after because I think thats what bi weekly means...right...good luck..good luck."

That is called taking an order over the phone. You fail 'Sales 101'. I deal with sales reps a lot and all of them at least try to build up a rapport. Same as when getting your hair or nails done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Have to say, the acting from that Kildare lad when he was talking to the psychiatrist this week, was absolutely fantastic. It was so believable. If a Hollywood actor had scenes like that he would be up for Oscars. It’s hard to believe this lad is so inexperienced acting wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I don't know, it could be set anywhere. If they didn't have the music video style visuals the major take away from it would be it's f*****g grim out west unless you are secretly intellectually gifted or rich. Sweden made Ireland look dull.

A few scenes of snow made Sweden look great and Ireland grim?

I'm not buying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    The 3-4 shots of a snowy suburban street and a generic photography studio made Ireland look dull?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Thargor wrote: »
    The 3-4 shots of a snowy suburban street and a generic photography studio made Ireland look dull?

Ironically, most of the ‘Sweden’ scenes were actually filmed in Dublin, specifically St Pat’s in Drumcondra.

The only scenes actually filmed in Sweden were the drab, snow-covered suburban streets and final scene where Marianne walks on the frozen lake, which is admittedly impressive.

A couple of posters are beyond ridiculous at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I haven't read the book but I'm reading Conversations With Friends.
    I cant overcome the lack of quotation marks around dialogue.
    What's that about?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I have been a skeptic of the show, but I thought the suicide episode tonight was superb.

I unfortunately lost a friend to suicide at around the same age as Connall, and they captured that feeling of "what if" and the different stages of grief pretty much spot on. Went into a similar spiral as Connall for a spell too but thankfully got through it.

I would agree with a previous poster that his acting during the therapy scene was excellent. Best episode of the series by a mile, in terms of emotion and accuracy.

The previous episode with BDSM and that was contrived nonsense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I haven't read the book but I'm reading Conversations With Friends.
    I cant overcome the lack of quotation marks around dialogue.
    What's that about?

The Normal People book is in the same format. It definitely takes some getting used to, it’s a very unusual style of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The Normal People book is in the same format. It definitely takes some getting used to, it’s a very unusual style of writing.

I don't know if I'd like the book so, Susie.
    If I hadn't loved Normal People on the screen, I don't think I'd hack any of her books.

To thine own self be true

RTE need to fcuk off with the trailers revealing all the major plot points of the next episodes aswell, what is the point? People arent going to switch off after watching it this far, it doesnt need promotion when its all over everyones social media and feeds anyway.

Do you notice aswell that even on the most hyped series since Love/Hate they can barely fill an ad break with any actual paying ads? Its 90% promos for Normal People/Marty Morrisey/Covid-19 stuff, Id say they must have a major hole in their finances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,347 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SusieBlue wrote: »

I like the absence of quotation marks or unnecessary punctuation. Flows better and the prose looks better with a familiar structure. Appreciate that’s subjective though - can see how it wouldn’t be for everyone.

Really enjoyed both books, would probably never have read either if it wasn’t for watching the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

murpho999 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy will be busy tomorrow after those scenes.

I think people should be complaining more about the amount of people smoking in it. Disporportionate.

Or maybe just not bother their hole complaining at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I have been a skeptic of the show, but I thought the suicide episode tonight was superb.

I unfortunately lost a friend to suicide at around the same age as Connall, and they captured that feeling of "what if" and the different stages of grief pretty much spot on. Went into a similar spiral as Connall for a spell too but thankfully got through it.

I would agree with a previous poster that his acting during the therapy scene was excellent. Best episode of the series by a mile, in terms of emotion and accuracy.

The previous episode with BDSM and that was contrived nonsense though.

Agree with all of this.

The Sweden one was the weakest so far but the second one had me in tears. Sadly I'd say there isn't a man in Ireland who can't relate to that episode, they handled it really well.

Strangely I can''t remember RTE ever touching on the subject in drama too often.

Reading between the lines, it would seem Robb was terrified of the prospect of a dead end job in a dead end town for life. One of the friends mentioned the fact he was getting into fights.

Bit of trivia. The actress who plays Connells girlfriend Helen is Aoife Hinds, the real life daughter of Northern Ireland actor Ciaran Hinds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Agree. My two cents - the production team gambled it would garner media attention so went with it

Your 2 cents?? :pac:

Must have contributed more than a fivers worth at this stage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Reading between the lines, it would seem Robb was terrified of the prospect of a dead end job in a dead end town for life. One of the friends mentioned the fact he was getting into fights.

Bit of trivia. The actress who plays Connells girlfriend Helen is Aoife Hinds, the real life daughter of Northern Ireland actor Ciaran Hinds

I looked her up and was really surprised to find out she didn't grow up in Ireland. I think her posh Dublin accent is really spot on. Apparently she grew up between England and France...never would have imagined that. Either there's an amazing dialect coach working on the show or her and Daisy Edgar-Jones must have some ear for accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I can see why that’s confusing. That Christmas party scene isn’t depicted in the book; it’s a deliberate insert in the TV series.

When Marianne breaks up with Jamie after the summer in Trieste, he starts spreading rumors about her, particularly about her sexual proclivities. It’s probably not obvious from the show, but Jamie is a ‘big man’ on campus, so these rumors spread far and wide. This trashed her reputation all around Trinity.

Basically, all of her ‘D4’ friends take Jamie’s side and pretty much cease contact after she moves to Sweden. The only exception is Joanna who stays in close contact. The last time Peggy appears directly in the book is the day Marianne is packing for Sweden. She pretty much implies that she is aligned with Jamie and that the friendship is over.

Marianne learns of the rumors circulating about her from Joanna. There’s an exchange where Joanna mentions that she was never really friends with that crowd and only tolerated them for Marianne’s sake. Marianne also asks Connell if he ever sees Peggy et al; he replies that he doesn’t and wouldn’t have anything to say to them anyway.

Hopefully, that clarifies it a little. I guess they were trying to convey that the friendship had disintegrated and that the upper-class crowd were slating her behind her back.

This isn’t an entirely unrealistic scenario. I think I mentioned this before, but you often have a much smaller, closer group of friends graduating vs. the wider, more superficial circles in the first couple of years.

ive never read the book , i never heard of the book before this series or sally rooney , even i could spot the kind peggy was a few weeks back , D4 clique member who would drop an outsider like a hot potatoe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Agree with all of this.

The Sweden one was the weakest so far but the second one had me in tears. Sadly I'd say there isn't a man in Ireland who can't relate to that episode, they handled it really well.

Strangely I can''t remember RTE ever touching on the subject in drama too often.

my other half described the episode set in sweeden as " ponderous "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Looking at the Denny sausage ad, can say this fella has a real presence for comedy roles also. He is just so natural in similar way that Fr Ted Crilley and Fr Douglas Maguire could deliver genius comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Voodoorasher2

Did anyone notice that Connell’s Ford car has 666 in its reg number? The Swedish bf didn’t look err, very Swedish.

Advertisement