Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well the OH finished it, and I think I didn't concentrate much on the last 2 episodes.
    Simply not for me.

It took you 6 hours of watching time to realise it wasn't for you? I watch one episode possibly two at a push to decide if I like a show or not. I'd never waste 6 hours on a show that I thought wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mescal is getting Emmy buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Connell and Marianne are coming back to our TV screens.

RTÉ will air a special episode of Normal People this Friday, June 26, to raise funds for Comic Relief.

https://irishtatler.com/news/normal-people-more-episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Me and the missus finished this last night, was surprised she'd not read the book as shes an avid book reader unlike myself who might read a couple on holidays and thats it.

We really enjoyed it, the struggle of relationships of immature youths, the struggle of finding your place in the world,
    the spark between them was fantastic, you could feel it everytime they met after being apart the connection was ever present, the end realisation that they both had helped each other grow into who they are today,

it just resonated with us both, how comfortable they seem to make each other feel, After the last episode herself was in bits. But the best part was how we both realised how much as a couple ourselves how comfortable and good friends apart from husband and wife we are (we're married 17yrs together over 20)

Brilliant allround in our opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Connell and Marianne are coming back to our TV screens.

RTÉ will air a special episode of Normal People this Friday, June 26, to raise funds for Comic Relief.

https://irishtatler.com/news/normal-people-more-episodes

It was excellent!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Rfrip wrote: »
    It was excellent!

how long was it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Connall, Marianne and a special guest.....

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0626/1149930-normal-peoples-connell-marianne-have-divine-reunion/

Loved this. Laughed out loud at the bit with the chain..... :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,677 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Finished this last week..

What a load of pretentious boring crap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

walshb wrote: »

Then why did you put up with 10 hours of it?

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »

I finished it. Then gave my verdict..

Do you have to stop watching a series because it doesn’t float your boat that much?

I never said I didn’t at all have an interest in it.

They are only 25 minutes episodes. Hardly torture..

Overall verdict: pretentious nonsense..But I still wanted to finish it out to see how it ended..

An overall verdict comes from an overall experience.

It’s not like watching say episode after episode after episode of Mrs. Browns Boys, which you know is absolute crap, and will be every time.

Normal people is a story told over a number of episodes..

But you finished it? It took you 6 hours of viewing to come to that conclusion? Why did you torture yourself for 6 hours? Most people would realise that they thought it was "a load of pretentious crap" after watching 2 or 3 episodes and turn it off but it took you all the way to the end of 6 hours of viewing. I find that a bit weird personally.

But you finished it? It took you 6 hours of viewing to come to that conclusion? Why did you torture yourself for 6 hours? Most people would realise that they thought it was "a load of pretentious crap" after watching 2 or 3 episodes and turn it off but it took you all the way to the end of 6 hours of viewing. I find that a bit weird personally.

It’s a bit silly me having to explain this. And I find these type replies lazy. “Turn off the channel, or stop watching.”

So you are miffed that I could finish something and come to a verdict that is not at all glowing?

Overall verdict: pretentious and boring..It’s not like this verdict hit me like a bolt out if the blue. The overall verdict is formed after a while..

It’s only 12x25 mins episodes. Hardly a lifetime..

There was parts that had me interested..I was wondering during it where it was going to go, and what would happen. So, why would I turn it off during it?

Not like every minute was pretentious and boring..

Overall means I assessed it after all of it..

You never watch a film or series and at the end thought, that was boring or pointless? You saying you have to switch off early?

How is it weird to finish something and then have a verdict that it wasn’t good?

Same for albums or books I have read and listened to. Not everything one finishes has to be then classed as good or great, and worthy of finishing..Sometimes you stick with something to see. To then determine it as an overall piece. 300 page novel. Do you stop because after 50 pages you aren’t gripped?

Do people need to walk out of the cinema during a three hour film, if after it they thought it wasn’t good? How does this work?

Have you ever watched a series, read a book, listened to an album and after completion thought that was not at all good? You saying everything you competed had to be classed as good?

The show didn’t do it for me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

It was nice too see how tortured they are these days when they can do what they like & are exposed to everything

10 hours? What math did you study in school?

It’s a bit silly me having to explain this. And I find these type replies lazy. “Turn off the channel, or stop watching.”

So you are miffed that I could finish something and come to a verdict that is not at all glowing?

Overall verdict: pretentious and boring..It’s not like this verdict hit me like a bolt out if the blue. The overall verdict is formed after a while..

It’s only 12x25 mins episodes. Hardly a lifetime..

There was parts that had me interested..I was wondering during it where it was going to go, and what would happen. So, why would I turn it off during it?

Not like every minute was pretentious and boring..

Overall means I assessed it after all of it..

You never watch a film or series and at the end thought, that was boring or pointless? You saying you have to switch off early?

How is it weird to finish something and then have a verdict that it wasn’t good?

Same for albums or books I have read and listened to. Not everything one finishes has to be then classed as good or great, and worthy of finishing..Sometimes you stick with something to see. To then determine it as an overall piece. 300 page novel. Do you stop because after 50 pages you aren’t gripped?

Do people need to walk out of the cinema during a three hour film, if after it they thought it wasn’t good? How does this work?

Have you ever watched a series, read a book, listened to an album and after completion thought that was not at all good? You saying everything you competed had to be classed as good?

The show didn’t do it for me...
    Not me no, I watch a show for one episode two max and decide if I will give it the rest of my time. Why would I continue if I didn't like it. You posted "what a load of pretentious crap" Maybe you ought to have posted " Overall I thought it was a load of pretentious crap but in parts I was interested but continued watching for 6 hours anyway"

The show didn't do it for you and it took you all the way till the end of 6 hours of viewing to realise that?

An easy mistake to make.12 episodes 30 min each is 6 hours of viewing. Maybe the poster thought the episodes were 50 min long which is 10 hours of viewing. They made a mistake and you jump on and make a jibe about their intellect and what math they studied at school. Thats not cool, especially coming from a person who gives 6 hours of their lives to a show that they think is "a load of pretentious crap" I'd be more worried about that type of person than someone who makes a simple mathematical error.

Not me no, I watch a show for one episode two max and decide if I will give it the rest of my time. Why would I continue if I didn't like it. You posted "what a load of pretentious crap" Maybe you ought to have posted " Overall I thought it was a load of pretentious crap but in parts I was interested but continued watching for 6 hours anyway"

The show didn't do it for you and it took you all the way till the end of 6 hours of viewing to realise that?

Where did I say it took me till the end to realize?

I watched till the end...Half way through I felt it was pretentious and boring.

Overall verdict was pretentious and boring...Sure, there were parts I was fine with. Not every minute of it was pretentious and boring.

You seem offended that someone could watch it all and then not rate it.

Are you telling me that it is odd/weird to watch a series, long film, listen to an album, read a book and come away rating the experience as bad..?

That we must stop, put down, look away as soon as we feel it’s not really doing it?

An easy mistake to make.12 episodes 30 min each is 6 hours of viewing. Maybe the poster thought the episodes were 50 min long which is 10 hours of viewing. They made a mistake and you jump on and make a jibe about their intellect and what math they studied at school. Thats not cool, especially coming from a person who gives 6 hours of their lives to a show that they think is "a load of pretentious crap" I'd be more worried about that type of person than someone who makes a simple mathematical error.

Whatever..

Huge difference between 10 hours and 5 hours..

Episodes are 25 mins duration..

So 5 hours of a story/programme spread over 12 episodes, that overall I rated as pretentious and boring...

The poster had a pop at this view, wondering why I watched it; not realising that the view was an overall view after viewing the whole show..

It wasn’t like a bolt hit me saying “this is pretentious boring nonsense. Time to switch off.”

And why would you “worry” about that type of person?

Missing the point here. Why did you put yourself through it? I'm out after 2 or fewer these days, if it's awful. Yeah, 10 was a quick calculation off a 45-50m show as another poster civilly observed.

• Advertisement

Missing the point here. Why did you put yourself through it? I'm out after 2 or fewer these days, if it's awful. Yeah, 10 was a quick calculation off a 45-50m show as another poster civilly observed.

Well, I was 5/6 eps in and asking the wife, what’s the actual point of this? Where is it going..

There were only 6 eps left. 2.5 hours...

So, I thought I’d see where it went...

Why on earth do you think I should have just switched it off?

Can people not watch a series through, and then give a verdict on it? Good, bad, ugly?

For the record: it wasn’t torture for me to watch it. Not like I was hurting.

I got to the end just fine, and decided that the whole show was pretentious, boring and kind of pointless...

I was intrigued to see how it ended.

Have you ever watched a show/series and at the end thought it was poor, and that you didn't enjoy it?

Or do you only ever watch and finish things that work out well, as in that you come away liking them?

Where did I say it took me till the end to realize?

I watched till the end...Half way through I felt it was pretentious and boring.

Overall verdict was pretentious and boring...Sure, there were parts I was fine with. Not every minute of it was pretentious and boring.

You seem offended that someone could watch it all and then not rate it.

Are you telling me that it is odd/weird to watch a series, long film, listen to an album, read a book and come away rating the experience as bad..?

That we must stop, put down, look away as soon as we feel it’s not really doing it?

No, I'm not offended one bit. Takes an awful lot more than that to offend me. I just find it very strange that someone could get past 2 episodes never mind halfway through a show, decide they didn't like it and keep going.

Well, I was 5/6 eps in and asking the wife, what’s the actual point of this? Where is it going..

There were only 6 eps left. 2.5 hours...

So, I thought I’d see where it went...

Why on earth do you think I should have just switched it off?

Can people not watch a series through, and then give a verdict on it? Good, bad, ugly?

For the record: it wasn’t torture for me to watch it. Not like I was hurting.

I got to the end just fine, and decided that the whole show was pretentious, boring and kind of pointless...

I was intrigued to see how it ended.

Have you ever watched a show/series and at the end thought it was poor, and that you didn't enjoy it?

Or do you only ever watch and finish things that work out well, as in that you come away liking them?
    Not any more. If a series doesn't engage me in the first two episodes I just won't stick around. I've lost far too many wasted hours on threadbare or uninteresting material down the years. I liked this although I preferred the Abrahamson batch to the second half.

No, I'm not offended one bit. Takes an awful lot more than that to offend me. I just find it very strange that someone could get past 2 episodes never mind halfway through a show, decide they didn't like it and keep going.

2 episodes?

I am not with you

Do you respond to anyone who comes away and says something they saw or listened to or watched was poor with the "why did you keep watching/listening?"

Take The Tiger King. Circa 5-6 hours in duration. I really liked it...

I have friends who thought it was poor....

I didn't reply with the kind of pathetic "Why did you keep watching it?"

Maybe, like me, they felt they would see it through, as there wasn't much in it, to see where it went.

I certainly won't be rushing to watch season 2 of Normal People if there is one....But switching off after 5-6 episodes because I was feeling it to be pretentious and boring would be silly. There was only 2.5 hours to go

Now if there were 6-7 hours to go, I'd probably have said enough....

Not any more. If a series doesn't engage me in the first two episodes I just won't stick around. I've lost far too many wasted hours on threadbare or uninteresting material down the years. I liked this although I preferred the Abrahamson batch to the second half.

Fair enough. I get you here

But, there was a slight difference with Normal People....the whole country was on about it, and I knew the episodes were short and sweet.....hence I stuck with it....

Then gave my verdict.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

there's two types of people when it comes to books and films. those that will realise something is sh*t shortly after starting it and they bin the book or turn off the film and those that will see it out no matter what. I'm in the bin and switch off camp

however, this is exceptional because of the amount of bollocks in terms of publicity that this got in terms of excessive ridiculous adulation and was rammed down our throats at a time where we were literally locked into our houses, so I'd say a lot of people who thought it was rubbish saw it out. I did, I didnt think it was good and I didn't like or enjoy it but it didn't offend me or piss me off and it was instantly forgettable.

Another reason why some people might see it out is because of the locations and seeing Dublin and the West on screen in a fictional drama which we don't often get to see. I watched the beginning of Far and Away over xmas which is one of the worst films I've ever seen but I was in West Kerry for new year where it was filmed.

Whatever..

Huge difference between 10 hours and 5 hours..

Episodes are 25 mins duration..

So 5 hours of a story/programme spread over 12 episodes, that overall I rated as pretentious and boring...

The poster had a pop at this view, wondering why I watched it; not realising that the view was an overall view after viewing the whole show..

It wasn’t like a bolt hit me saying “this is pretentious boring nonsense. Time to switch off.”

And why would you “worry” about that type of person?

Actually it was 6 hours not 5 hours. Easy enough to make a mathematical error.

Actually it was 6 hours not 5 hours. Easy enough to make a mathematical error.

The episodes were circa 25 mins in duration..

12x25 is 5 hours....

And breaks were circa 5 minutes per episode...

Anyway, I got the boring feeling circa 6 episodes in...

I then decided to finish it to see where it went..

For me, it went nowhere...but at least I saw it through...

It’s not like a a sitcom that goes on and on and on...you either like these and stick with them, or watch a few eps and hate them, and leave them..

Normal People is a story over 12 episodes. Following a story. You get to end of the story and you make a call on what you experienced..

Correction: circa 28 mins duration...5.5 hours or thereabouts

And you thanked Higgins post, yet he/she too didn’t like it at all, but finished it. Is that weird as well?

The episodes were circa 25 mins in duration..

12x25 is 5 hours....

And breaks were circa 5 minutes per episode...

Anyway, I got the boring feeling circa 6 episodes in...

I then decided to finish it to see where it went..

For me, it went nowhere...but at least I saw it through...

It’s not like a a sitcom that goes on and on and on...you either like these and stick with them, or watch a few eps and hate them, and leave them..

Normal People is a story over 12 episodes. Following a story. You get to end of the story and you make a call on what you experienced..

Correction: circa 28 mins duration...5.5 hours or thereabouts

And you thanked Higgins post, yet he/she too didn’t like it at all, but finished it. Is that weird as well?

You seem to be getting muddled up with numbers. I think if you do a quick internet search the average running time of each episode was 30 minutes so the total running time was 6 hours. It's ok to admit you made a mistake, nobody is going to question your education or what type of math you learned in school. It happens.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

2 episodes?

I am not with you

Do you respond to anyone who comes away and says something they saw or listened to or watched was poor with the "why did you keep watching/listening?"

Take The Tiger King. Circa 5-6 hours in duration. I really liked it...

I have friends who thought it was poor....

I didn't reply with the kind of pathetic "Why did you keep watching it?"

Maybe, like me, they felt they would see it through, as there wasn't much in it, to see where it went.

I certainly won't be rushing to watch season 2 of Normal People if there is one....But switching off after 5-6 episodes because I was feeling it to be pretentious and boring would be silly. There was only 2.5 hours to go

Now if there were 6-7 hours to go, I'd probably have said enough....

lord and you thought Normal people was boring ? there's a juxtaposition or a load of bolloxposition here , I smell both .

Advertisement