Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fisgon wrote: »
    Connall, Marianne and a special guest.....

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0626/1149930-normal-peoples-connell-marianne-have-divine-reunion/

Loved this. Laughed out loud at the bit with the chain..... :):D

Those trio should enter Eurovision :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

You seem to be getting muddled up with numbers. I think if you do a quick internet search the average running time of each episode was 30 minutes so the total running time was 6 hours. It's ok to admit you made a mistake, nobody is going to question your education or what type of math you learned in school. It happens.

*Maths :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,677 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You seem to be getting muddled up with numbers. I think if you do a quick internet search the average running time of each episode was 30 minutes so the total running time was 6 hours. It's ok to admit you made a mistake, nobody is going to question your education or what type of math you learned in school. It happens.

Ok, so the 10 hours is cleared up..

Settling on 6

You haven’t answered my question, though.

Do you think anyone who watched a show, film, listens to an album, reads a book and comes away with a poor review to be weird? Because they should have stopped watching, listening or reading?

Normal People was 12 episodes. After 6 I was really wondering the point of it, and where it was going. I finished it out to find out.

Surely I am not the only person to watch it all and have a poor review?

Are we all weird because we finished it, yet thought it was not good?

Have you ever watched and finished something of similar duration and came away thinking that was not at all good? Or do you always stop before you finish these things?

lord and you thought Normal people was boring ? there's a juxtaposition or a load of bolloxposition here , I smell both .

Not with you...

lord and you?

Is there meant to be a comma here somewhere?

As in: Lord, and you......?

Are you referencing The Tiger King?

I get that you quoted me, but can you post it again, maybe? It’s reading funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

And the award for the most pointless argument on the Internet goes to..

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    And the award for the most pointless argument on the Internet goes to..

Agreed.

Simple: ok, you didn’t like it is all..

As opposed to: I find you/it weird because you watched it and didn’t like it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I watched the first 20 min of Will Ferral's new movie "Eurovision" last night. I usually like him but this movie just wasn't doing it for me so I switched it off after 20 min. Wasting another 1.5 hours on for me would've been just weird.

I put watched the first 20 min of Will Ferral's new movie "Eurovision" last night. I usually like him but this movie just wasn't doing it for me so I switched it off after 20 min. Wasting another 1.5 hours on for me would've been just weird.

Do you regularly leave the cinemas as well?

Dunkirk: utter crap. Watched it in cinema. Was I weird for watching it and thinking it was utter crap when I finished it? Should I have realized this earlier and left the cinema?

I thought a better position as regards NP would be like a discussion..

Something like: “ok, you thought it was pretentious and boring. Why? Was it the script, character portrayal, realism, setting?“

Not, you’re weird for watching something that in the end you found pretentious and boring..

Not everyone is weird who finishes a show or series and comes away thinking it was not good..

We can’t all rate and like everything we see and view and experience..

And no, we don’t all automatically switch off and put down..it’s a bit more nuanced than that in certain situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

I put watched the first 20 min of Will Ferral's new movie "Eurovision" last night. I usually like him but this movie just wasn't doing it for me so I switched it off after 20 min. Wasting another 1.5 hours on for me would've been just weird.

Same here. In the past I persisted with books and films which I wasn't enjoying and it wasn't worth the effort. If something that's meant to entertain you isn't doing that, why would you bother? I abandoned Game of Thrones because it wasn't for me and I've no regrets. I also managed to restrain myself from repeatedly telling the peeps in the GoT forum that their beloved TV series is pants. Different strokes for different folks.

Tork wrote: »
    Same here. In the past I persisted with books and films which I wasn't enjoying and it wasn't worth the effort. If something that's meant to entertain you isn't doing that, why would you bother? I abandoned Game of Thrones because it wasn't for me and I've no regrets. I also managed to restrain myself from repeatedly telling the peeps in the GoT forum that their beloved TV series is pants. Different strokes for different folks.

I get this.

Plenty of times I have given up on movies and shows.

But, are you weird if sometimes you don’t? You finish it through to find out, maybe hoping? Then at the end you rate it poor. Is that weird? I would have thought that everyone e has had these experiences..

With NP, although after 6 eps I was thinking it boring, I was still wondering how they ended up, what was the issue with her past, her mother and brother...Do Connal and Marianne get back together and all that..

So I watched to find out...

Surely my negative appraisal is not the only one on this thread?

I have not read many pages, but I wonder how many here rated it poor..

• Advertisement

Just on this: I gave up on the wire after three episodes. Found it boring..

Seems I should have stuck with it...

A lot of shows can be slow and even painful in the beginning, and really kick off and ignite...

NP was ok at the start, interesting, intriguing...

I was wondering where it would go and what would happen. After 6 eps in I felt it tedious and boring.

Should I have stopped there? Or was me thinking that it could reel me back in not a possibility?

Is it weird of me to watch the final 6 episodes?

I watched the final 6 and felt it just dragged stuff out. Bland scenes, next to no chemistry or oomph with the leads. Connall was an absolute drip. Although his breakdown scene was very believable..

The sex scenes were just silly. Only put in to excite and reel in the audience. Childish stuff..

Soooo moving on, it seems there won't be a sequel to normal people for quite some time. There is talk of production starting on Rooney's other book "conversations with friends". Haven't read this book, what do you think this one will be like? Will it be as big a hit as normal people or a let down. It'll be difficult for any show to follow normal people given it's acclaim.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

walshb wrote: »
    *Irrelevant extended waffle*

What did your 17 year old niece think of it?

What did your 17 year old niece think of it?

Not sure what you are getting at here, but I don’t think you are looking for any kind of honest and reasoned debate...

Over and out..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Why is people getting so defensive if people watched it all and came to the conclusion that they didnt like it.

I watched it all and just liked it but was waiting for the last two episodes to pull it out of the bag and it just didnt do it for me.

Connel just got on my nerves in the end and i think they could have done it all in Sligo and a break in Italy and it would have been done for me with a few more of their home friends involved.

Daisy Edgar Jones was amazing and Paul Mescal was good.

tipptom wrote: »
    Why is people getting so defensive if people watched it all and came to the conclusion that they didnt like it.

I watched it all and just liked it but was waiting for the last two episodes to pull it out of the bag and it just didnt do it for me.

Connel just got on my nerves in the end and i think they could have done it all in Sligo and a break in Italy and it would have been done for me with a few more of their home friends involved.

Daisy Edgar Jones was amazing and Paul Mescal was good.

Exactly..

Ridiculous..

I rated it bad..

And I am labeled weird because of this. I should not have finished it because after it I rated it bad...that view to me is weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Exactly..

Ridiculous..

I rated it bad..

And I am labeled weird because of this. I should not have finished it because after it I rated it bad...that view to me is weird..

Normal People is the latest fad for people to seem "cool".

Like when the rugby team are going through a good spell. Or when Derry Girls was meant to be the greatest show ever.

Remember quinoa?

Each to their own, and I can see why people loved it. But it wasn't for me, and it isn't a crime to not enjoy it either. I have never seen such rage towards people who had a different opinion on a tv show before.

Exactly..

Ridiculous..

I rated it bad..

Nobody rated anyone "weird" for rating the show bad so that statement is delusional. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. what some found weird, odd or hard to understand was that you didn't like the show but wasted 6 hours watching it so please don't tell lies. You're getting quite tedious now regrading this. I think I'd speak for most in this thread when I suggest you give a reasonable analysis of why you didn't like it and forget about how weird it was you watched all of it. Lets move on please.

Nobody rated anyone "weird" for rating the show bad so that statement is delusional. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. what some found weird, odd or hard to understand was that you didn't like the show but wasted 6 hours watching it so please don't tell lies. You're getting quite tedious now regrading this. I think I'd speak for most in this thread when I suggest you give a reasonable analysis of why you didn't like it and forget about how weird it was you watched all of it. Lets move on please.

I didn’t waste 6 hours..

Why are you continually peddling this bull? The first few episodes were fine. I had no real issue. From episodes 7-12 is where I felt it was going nowhere. Pointless. Repetitive and boring..

I overall rated it bad.

You’re extremely arrogant here labeling people (or it) weird because they didn’t like a show like you did..or weird because they happened to finish a show that they then rated poorly.

Moving on now...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Soooo moving on, it seems there won't be a sequel to normal people for quite some time. There is talk of production starting on Rooney's other book "conversations with friends". Haven't read this book, what do you think this one will be like? Will it be as big a hit as normal people or a let down. It'll be difficult for any show to follow normal people given it's acclaim.

I've read that book.
    I could see it as a film but not a series.
    There are 4 main characters in it, totally revolves around them.
    There are no sub characters, like your Jamie, Lorraine, Mrs Sheridan etc.
    I couldn't see how that would work over a series. I wouldn't like it anyhow.
    They would have to write in a few secondary characters for TV imo.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

fisgon wrote: »
    Connall, Marianne and a special guest.....

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0626/1149930-normal-peoples-connell-marianne-have-divine-reunion/

Loved this. Laughed out loud at the bit with the chain..... :):D

wow, that just perfectly fitting for Irish comic relief. Complete and utter unfunny shįte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

But you finished it? It took you 6 hours of viewing to come to that conclusion? Why did you torture yourself for 6 hours? Most people would realise that they thought it was "a load of pretentious crap" after watching 2 or 3 episodes and turn it off but it took you all the way to the end of 6 hours of viewing. I find that a bit weird personally.

Jesus you've a lot personally invested in what other people think of a television programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

wow, that just perfectly fitting for Irish comic relief. Complete and utter unfunny shįte.

It's only Words :)

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Jesus you've a lot personally invested in what other people think of a television programme.

Nah sorry you're way off there I don't personally invest in anything on an Internet forum, how about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Mother of jaysus this thread has become painful

Synode wrote: »
    Mother of jaysus this thread has become painful

Like the show!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: omg this thread. This show. Quit the bickering the lot of you. Stick to chatting on the show, less of the needling and bludgeoning of points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mod: omg this thread. This show. Quit the bickering the lot of you. Stick to chatting on the show, less of the needling and bludgeoning of points

Can you kindly point out at any post or point where the show has not been mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭LushiousLips

Walshb......just say it, you were only there for the sex scenes ;);)

• Advertisement

Walshb......just say it, you were only there for the sex scenes ;);)

They were embarrassingly out of place....

Part of the reason the show didn't work for me was there was no chemistry between the two leads....

Advertisement