Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Complete muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

walshb wrote: »
    They were embarrassingly out of place....

Part of the reason the show didn't work for me was there was no chemistry between the two leads....

How could a sex scene be in place.

About the chemistry between them, I don't think you got the whole show or their relationship if you thought there was no chemstry between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

murpho999 wrote: »
    How could a sex scene be in place.

About the chemistry between them, I don't think you got the whole show or their relationship if you thought there was no chemstry between them.

There was no real chemistry between them....similar to Jon Snow and Blondie from GOT...Bland and dull.

Conall needed to be a little more assured....stumbling and mumbling his way through the show didn't cut it...

And he is meant to be some literary scholar?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There was no real chemistry between them....similar to Jon Snow and Blondie from GOT...Bland and dull.

Conall needed to be a little more assured....stumbling and mumbling his way through the show didn't cut it...

Yes, a literally scholar, which can be quite solitary, who is socially awkward in certain situations, so it's not that unusual.

Your summation of Connell shows once more how you didn't get him or the show's premise.

Fail to see what GoT has to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

They were embarrassingly out of place....

Part of the reason the show didn't work for me was there was no chemistry between the two leads....

No chemistry? Whatever about having an opinion that the show was bad their chemistry was undeniable. I'm afraid you are in the vast minority there with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

There was no real chemistry between them....

But that's his character: he can't articulate his deeper emotions.
    The show wasn't intended as a 'how-to' guide to successful human behaviour and happy, standard relationships.

Also, your point about him being a literary scholar isn't really relevant to your point about him being unable to articulate his own feelings and emotions. It's hardly unusual for someone with that personality type to bury themselves in literature.

I'm not going to come at you for not liking the show, but honestly it might be time to let it go and move on!

dee_mc wrote: »
    The show wasn't intended as a 'how-to' guide to successful human behaviour and happy, standard relationships.

Also, your point about him being a literary scholar isn't really relevant to your point about him being unable to articulate his own feelings and emotions. It's hardly unusual for someone with that personality type to bury themselves in literature.

I'm not going to come at you for not liking the show, but honestly it might be time to let it go and move on!

That point has been discussed here at length. Why cant people understand that sometimes really intelligent people can be odd? I have met people like this, academically brilliant but socially awkward. People who can write outstanding pieces of literature but cannot talk to others in the same way. Also for a person who disliked the show so much they did not only waste 6 hours watching it but are spending a lot of time on a forum discussing it. Go on Walshey admit it, you liked it.

That point has been discussed here at length. Why cant people understand that sometimes really intelligent people can be odd? I have met people like this, academically brilliant but socially awkward. People who can write outstanding pieces of literature but cannot talk to others in the same way. Also for a person who disliked the show so much they did not only waste 6 hours watching it but are spending a lot of time on a forum discussing it. Go on Walshey admit it, you liked it.

My comment of it being pretentious and boring was a feel I got after it all.

But I am glad I watched it...maybe I was being overly harsh...

I did enjoy parts of it....it's not like all 6 hours hurt....

But do you ever finish something and at the end think, what was its point? I got that vibe from this..

And, are they Normal People? Doesn't seem so to me....two misfits..

And I only have spent time discussing it because of a claim that was made, a childish type claim of why did you watch it if you didn't like it...

Well, I had to watch it before I realized I didn't really like it......

Intelligent people can be odd....we all know this....I just didn't buy it with Conall.

It lacked a bit of oomph for me.......

And I am beginning to think that you are either Sally Rooney or someone close to her........It's like you are "fighting" any negative points being presented.....

dee_mc wrote: »

Let what go?

I will bow out if for some reason this thread only allows positive appraisal of the show, its characters, its dialogue etc.....

So, is the thread only for positive appraisals?

It had positives too. It was interesting in parts, intriguing in parts. I just felt it kind of died the second half....

murpho999 wrote: »

Fail to see what GoT has to do with it.

I never said it had anything to do with it...

I compared the chemistry between Conall and Marianne to Snow and Blondie for GOT.....Bland and dull.....It was a just a comparison that was similar for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Normal People is the latest fad for people to seem "cool".

The reverse is also true. Anytime something becomes popular, there are always a certain amount of people who will dislike it just to be contrarian.

I'm not saying that this is the case with you, or that people can't legitimately dislike it, but it undeniably happens.

Rothko wrote: »
    The reverse is also true. Anytime something becomes popular, there are always a certain amount of people who will dislike it just to be contrarian.

I'm not saying that this is the case with you, or that people can't legitimately dislike it, but it undeniably happens.

Very true

I don't think NP is that type show

I thing loads watched it and simply gave their honest views on it...

I don't believe it's the type show that you have to be almost seen to be watching and like......

Like say, GOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you think there was no chemistry between the leads in this you just dont have a clue about drama or acting, sorry.

My comment of it being pretentious and boring was a feel I got after it all.

But I am glad I watched it...maybe I was being overly harsh...

I did enjoy parts of it....it's not like all 6 hours hurt....

But do you ever finish something and at the end think, what was its point? I got that vibe from this..

And, are they Normal People? Doesn't seem so to me....two misfits..

And I only have spent time discussing it because of a claim that was made, a childish type claim of why did you watch it if you didn't like it...

Well, I had to watch it before I realized I didn't really like it......

Intelligent people can be odd....we all know this....I just didn't buy it with Conall.

It lacked a bit of oomph for me.......

And I am beginning to think that you are either Sally Rooney or someone close to her........It's like you are "fighting" any negative points being presented.....
    Thargor wrote: »
    If you think there was no chemistry between the leads in this you just dont have a clue about drama or acting, sorry.

This statement here; " And, are they Normal People? Doesn't seem so to me....two misfits.."

Tells me he didn't really get the whole point of the show. They were two misfits yeah, thats actually the point. No one understood them like they understood each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

I gotta agree with Walshb. This show didn't do anything for me. Was connall meant to have autism or something or did Paul mescall just over act the whole awkward part of the personality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mescal just scored an Emmy nomination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

He'll also be staring in "The Deceived" later this year.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0713/1152964-new-sneak-peek-of-paul-mescal-starring-thriller-series/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lucky fecker rumoured to be "courting" (yeah, I went there!) the gorgeous and uber-talented Phoebe Bridgers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

And he is one of actors leading the British Emmy nominees ... according to the Daily Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8569081/Emmy-Awards-2020-Jodie-Comer-Paul-Mescal-Olivia-Colman-Brian-Cox-lead-British-nominees.html

Daisy Edgar Jones was very unlucky not to score a nomination. She was fantastic in Normal People

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭brian_t

He'll also be staring in "The Deceived" later this year.
    That starts on Monday on Channel 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Daisy Edgar Jones was very unlucky not to score a nomination. She was fantastic in Normal People

I thought she was amazing. I've no idea who the nominees are but I really should watch them if there's better out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She was as good as Paul Mescal IMO, maybe even slightly ahead of him (and he was brilliant).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Synode wrote: »
    I thought she was amazing. I've no idea who the nominees are but I really should watch them if there's better out there

She was great, and her accent was spot on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Strazdas wrote: »
    She was as good as Paul Mescal IMO, maybe even slightly ahead of him (and he was brilliant).

She really was, but didn't seem to blow up quite as much as Mescal did. I think he had more stand-out scenes too which it's easy to hang an Emmy nomination on (that therapy scene). Must be slightly awkward for her, even though I'm sure she's thrilled for him etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes, I think the therapy scene is what edges out Mescal's performance over Edgar-Smith's. Tbh I doubt you'll see many, if any, better acting performances this year, it really was a remarkable scene. Still can't believe he's mostly only done theatre work before Normal People!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Daisy Edgar-Jones gets a golden globe nomination for her role in Normal People, but not Paul Mescal. Would've thought it would be the other way around to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Daisy Edgar-Jones gets a golden globe nomination for her role in Normal People, but not Paul Mescal. Would've thought it would be the other way around to be honest.

Delighted to see Daisy Edgar Jones getting the nomination, am getting tired of seeing her play second fiddle to Paul Mescal. Don't get me wrong, it was an outstanding performance by Paul, but it very much took two of them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭Acosta

This will disappoint whoever RTE have charged with writing click bait articles about anything remotely related to Paul Mescal for the past 8 or 9 months.

• Advertisement

Acosta wrote: »
    This will disappoint whoever RTE have charged with writing click bait articles about anything remotely related to Paul Mescal for the past 8 or 9 months.

Tbf not just RTE, but the whole Irish media. Can't help wondering if Mescal will become a bit typecast. The Connell role seemed to really suit him well.

Advertisement