Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

7 Bafta TV award nominations

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pj9999

Am I the only one who found Normal People only… alright? Dragged out convos like this: I’m taking yer one to the debs. Ok grand. Is that ok. Ya tis. Ok so.
    Or
    Have you got a condom. I do. Good. Will I put it on. Ok go on so good man. Thanks. Will I ride you now. Ok go on so I will take off my clothes. ok.

And herself’s bossy brother didn’t even get the comeuppance I was looking forward to at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It got us through the first lockdown.

For that alone it deserves an award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

should this not be in tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It wasnt perfect but at times it was wonderful tv.

The episode in the Italian villa was excellent.

Really brought me and a lot of watchers back to their undergrad days... whether that was 1990s Dublin or 1960s Cambridge.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Normal Sheeple

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It wasnt perfect but at times it was wonderful tv.

The episode in the Italian villa was excellent.

Really brought me and a lot of watchers back to their undergrad days... whether that was 1990s Dublin or 1960s Cambridge.

That's what boils my piss! Normal People from the West of Ireland don't have access to Italian Villas or go to Trinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Very poor. Should be called poor people. And then we could have another thread giving out about poor people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

milehip wrote: »
    That's what boils my piss! Normal People from the West of Ireland don't have access to Italian Villas or go to Trinners.

Ok maybe not their own Italian villa but lots of Normal People over the years from the west of ireland have gone to Trinity or on hols in an Italian or French villa. Its one way of being Normal.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

I enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Tubbercurry is like the D4 of County Sligo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

West of Ireland solicitors dont own those kind of big properties in Italy , that was very unrealistic , her family were obviously well off but that made them look like the Smurfits

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

I hated it, gave up three episodes from the end. What drove me crazy was the hype, its the princess Diana funeral of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    West of Ireland solicitors dont own those kind of big properties in Italy , that was very unrealistic , her family were obviously well off but that made them look like the Smurfits
    Lots of it is unrealistic. And boring as f*ck.

And boring as f*ck.

Some people like boring stuff. I mean ...to them its not boring. To me it was a borefest also. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

Bubonic wrote: »
    I hated it, gave up three episodes from the end. What drove me crazy was the hype, its the princess Diana funeral of Ireland.

Lot of hype alrite, good to see a Irish production do well

Lot of hype alrite, good to see a Irish production do well
    It was ..and internationally!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Don't know. Never saw it. It looked like a load of ****e though, if that helps?

KungPao wrote: »
    Don't know. Never saw it. It looked like a load of ****e though, if that helps?
    It was well acted ..well shot ..and well produced ..

But ...boring.

See trouble is even good writing can be boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Normal Sheeple

Formal peep hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Hated by right wing idiots.
    I'm suprised it's taken this long for an AH thread criticising it :)

Sure, nobody from the west of Ireland has ever gone to Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

It was a fad.

It's not a show that will be remembered. Although yer man connell is doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

My issue is that it’s celebrated for its groundbreaking portrayal of the nuances in ordinary relationships, but the reality is that it (particularly the adaption) is the story of one young man’s abnormal emotional dysfunction and the dreadful effect it has on his girlfriend. Paul Mescal plays Connell as someone recovering from a traumatic brain injury.

Hated by right wing idiots.
    I'm suprised it's taken this long for an AH thread criticising it :)
    ??

I'm left wing.

And erm i am too smart to be intelligent ;)

Are rural properties in Italy all that expensive? Probably not. And you know, there’s wealth in the country, as in the city. You generally find that solicitors might have been born into wealth or inherited money.

Have a look at Ireland’s richest TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Watched about 30 mins of it. Wasn't for me. I appear to be in the minority...

fvp4 wrote: »
    Are rural properties in Italy all that expensive? Probably not. And you know, there’s wealth in the country, as in the city. You generally find that solicitors might have been born into wealth or inherited money.

Have a look at Ireland’s richest TDs.
    Solicitors don't have a TD salary. Most solicitors don't inherit wealth. I know many of them. They are not wealthy people. And they don't have cleaners.

Apart from that the characters were ....not well developed.

Connell ....in real life would have been considered an oddball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

West of Ireland solicitors dont own those kind of big properties in Italy

LOL

Solictors in the west of Ireland are very "comfortable" (i.e. well capable of fleecing their 'clients').
    Legal fees are the same all over Ireland.
    Their cost of living is also very low compared to the pale.

• Advertisement

I liked it. What was unrealistic was his loneliness in college. Connell would have just played sports and picked up friends that way.

I see him as the wish fulfilment of the writer - the jock with a heart. The vulnerable jock.

Nevertheless the acting, camera work were top notch.

Advertisement