Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

pj9999 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who found Normal People only… alright? Dragged out convos like this: I’m taking yer one to the debs. Ok grand. Is that ok. Ya tis. Ok so.
    Or
    Have you got a condom. I do. Good. Will I put it on. Ok go on so good man. Thanks. Will I ride you now. Ok go on so I will take off my clothes. ok.

And herself’s bossy brother didn’t even get the comeuppance I was looking forward to at the end.

Because that's what passes for passion in Ireland and some people, sadly, can relate to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Way I see it it was the modern equivalent of This Life. A phenomenon in its time but won't date particularly well.

Ah Cmon,dont diss This Life

Watched the repeat a few months ago and still thought it was quite good,and a lot more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I watched it to see Daisy in the nip. Worked for me. :D

I watched it to see Daisy in the nip. Worked for me. :D

Tell the truth,it was Mescall in the GAA shorts that got you there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

I watched the first 10 minutes of it and it looked like a pile of shìte so I turned it off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

milehip wrote: »
    That's what boils my piss! Normal People from the West of Ireland don't have access to Italian Villas or go to Trinners.

Loads of normal people from the West of Ireland go to Trinity. Sure it's the same price as any other university.

And if you meat some other's with more money than you in college then you might get a chance to visit some nice places.

Also Ireland's a fairly wealthy country. It's not that far from "normal" whatever that means to have a holiday home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

tipptom wrote: »
    Tell the truth,it was Mescall in the GAA shorts that got you there in the end.

id shudder to think what seeing him out of the shorts did so?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

enda1 wrote: »
    Loads of normal people from the West of Ireland go to Trinity. Sure it's the same price as any other university.

Might interest some to know that there were 103 students with Sligo addresses in 2016, the last year that such information was published. If it were in proportion with the census population, you would expect 132. But that doesn't account for age demographics (rural counties tend to skew older).

50% of Trinity's Irish students were from outside Dublin, which probably confounds most people's stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

And if you meat some other's with more money than you in college then you might get a chance to visit some nice places.

Also Ireland's a fairly wealthy country. It's not that far from "normal" whatever that means to have a holiday home

Exactly! If you get in (and not all courses are hard to get into in TCD), it's no more expensive than any other college in the country. I'd actually consider UCD to be the most likely university to find rich students based on its location.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

fvp4 wrote: »
    Sure, nobody from the west of Ireland has ever gone to Trinity.
    As a working class west of Ireland broad who went to TCD, this is news to me. I wasn’t particularly out of place in college either. Lots of culchies attended when I did. And working class Dubs. The Dub contingent was mostly from the leafy middle class suburbs but not overwhelmingly so.

Yeah but the basic gist of my post was that Normal people usually go to GMIT and Santa Ponza
    only Special people get to Trinity et al, the show should have been called Special People!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I'd actually consider UCD to be the most likely university to find rich students based on its location.

This is definitely true. I’m from the Whest too and went to UCD. Very many of the students there were from south Dublin feeder schools. I found it a bit alienating at first until I found my own tribe.

I had a friend in Trinity at the same time and met his group of college friends a few times throughout our college years. I found them all pretty sound, even the south side poshies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

In real life connell or whatever his name is would be a party guy. Surrounded by fellow meat heads.

Marianne would be rather more plain. And if she was better looking ...as she is in the tv series....she wouldn't be so hung up on connell.

And if they did hang up it would be a rather superficial thing ..they have zero in common.

TBH i don't know many jocks who want to be english majors. They are into management or finance.

Plus if marianna was bullied and he stayed silent ...he would look like a cuckhold ...it would make you wonder if he is as secure and popular etc. Its not very ...'manly' or 'sexy'.

Plus what do these two have to talk about???? Zilch....i don't think this would be as deep or life changing romance as people think...its just hormones.

The whole sadomachism thing with jamie is just ....for the love of god. And her claiming to like it etc.. .does the girl have no cop on ..i thought that was really irresponsible writing...and just a rip off of 50 shades.

This is where it gets the MOST realistic.....after suffering years of physical abuse from men ..getting her nose broken etc ......connell FINALLY decides to save marianne ....like yeah ...i mean that is the message women need ...that your knight in shining Armour will rescue you ...NAH HONEY you have to rescue yourself sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

It was scenic and the actors had nice clothes, that was all it had going for it! Really didnt get the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Really didnt get the hype.
    Same ...Not sure why someone didn't point out some of the assumptions and themes were erm ...not healthy though. Not in a censoring kind of way ..but like erm ...your ex probably won't save you from domestic abuse love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Never watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

the credit had to be given to Lenny Abrahamson.

it wasnt the story or the acting .He creates this great escapism when you watch his stuff esp 'Adam and Paul' and 'What Richard did'. you feel really immersed in the world he creates.

Itreally takes you back to undergraduate days. best times of your life that you want to remember. Even 6th year in school was brilliant. id say there are hundreds of trashy romantic books like Normal People novel. And the actors werent that good.

Itreally takes you back to undergraduate days. best times of your life that you want to remember. Even 6th year in school was brilliant. id say there are hundreds of trashy romantic books like Normal People novel. And the actors werent that good.

I was bemused by the buzz around Normal People as a novel. It was proclaimed as the first great expression of the millennial generation and long listed for the Mann Booker prize. I read the book and was pretty underwhelmed.

However, to be fair to Sally Rooney, it’s neither trashy nor romantic. It’s a decent character exploration that deep dives into the interior lives of both protagonists. It also captures the lives of two young people at a very formative time.

I thought the TV adaptation was superior to the book. As you say, that’s mostly attributable to the artistry of Lenny Abrahamson and Alice Birch. I disagree on the caliber of the acting. I thought both leads were very good, particularly Daisy Edgar-Jones. I’m sure that both actors have bright futures ahead of them.

Incidentally, I recently read Sally Rooney’s first novel ‘Conversations with friends’, which is currently being adapted as a TV series. I didn’t particularly enjoy the novel and struggled to complete it. Let’s hope her future work continues on an upward trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Hamachi wrote: »
    I was bemused by the buzz around Normal People as a novel. It was proclaimed as the first great expression of the millennial generation and long listed for the Mann Booker prize. I read the book and was pretty underwhelmed.

However, to be fair to Sally Rooney, it’s neither trashy nor romantic. It’s a decent character exploration that deep dives into the interior lives of both protagonists. It also captures the lives of two young people at a very formative time.

I thought the TV adaptation was superior to the book. As you say, that’s mostly attributable to the artistry of Lenny Abrahamson and Alice Birch. I disagree on the caliber of the acting. I thought both leads were very good, particularly Daisy Edgar-Jones. I’m sure that both actors have bright futures ahead of them.

Incidentally, I recently read Sally Rooney’s first novel ‘Conversations with friends’, which is currently being adapted as a TV series. I didn’t particularly enjoy the novel and struggled to complete it. Let’s hope her future work continues on an upward trajectory.

i never thought the acting was bad, just going on the hype and reviews you would think the acting was amazing. Daisy was good but not brilliant. that kildare fellow i thought to be very wooden. maybe the blankness was the character and thus it was good acting.

That fellow Lenny is doing Sally Rooneys first book adaptation. Should be good . id say her manager got straight onto Lenny after success and normal people and begged him to adapt her first book.

that kildare fellow i thought to be very wooden. maybe the blankness was the character and thus it was good acting.

He was capturing an intelligent, but taciturn Irish country guy. Anybody who grows up outside Dublin has met this archetype more than once.

Paul Mescal delivered a good performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Was there loads of ridin' in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭elefant

fvp4 wrote: »
    I liked the depiction of Connell, ignoring the major plot hole on him not playing sports at college.

This has been mentioned a few times in here, but it would be very common for GAA players not to bother with joining a university team.

Third level GAA barely registers on most people's radars, to the point where I doubt most close followers of the sports would even know who recently won a Sigerson or Fitzgibbon cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Very plodding a bit like one of those arty French films too slow for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

elefant wrote: »
    This has been mentioned a few times in here, but it would be very common for GAA players not to bother with joining a university team.

Also relevant is that he committed himself to academics while at Trinity, having been afraid to show it at school (so he's not the typical GAA jock). And he had what appeared to be quite bad anxiety and depression.
    mariaalice wrote: »
    Very plodding a bit like one of those arty French films.

I don't entirely agree, but I would say that a slow 'arty French film' that jumps to mind is Blue is the Warmest Colour, which to me felt much 'realer' and not so emotionally manipulative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It was a good show, probably way over hyped due to the initial lockdown and something different but I also don't doubt RTE created that "sex, oh my God, Joe" furore to get it out there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Are rural properties in Italy all that expensive? Probably not. And you know, there’s wealth in the country, as in the city. You generally find that solicitors might have been born into wealth or inherited money.

Have a look at Ireland’s richest TDs.

Likely bought in the 70s or 80s for a song.

Third level GAA barely registers on most people's radars, to the point where I doubt most close followers of the sports would even know who recently won a Sigerson or Fitzgibbon cup.

Yeh but why wouldn’t a lonely guy who was fit and an an ace player for his school at least join some kind of kicking a ball about for fun club or informal grouping. Not necessarily the top level inter university team, although surely he would give that a try to begin with. Maybe the book was different but he was portrayed as being a talented player.

Even indoor soccer or whatever. How many sporting types into team football give up all exercise at university?

I played indoor football at university and I’m a mediocre player at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That was my issue with it also. I couldn't understand why she was at the local school. Especially how her mother came across.

Maybe that's why they had all the money.

Could be the mother didn't like Marianne. The villa and the house in Dublin weren't bought for her, she happened to be able to use them.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Likely bought on the 70s or 80s for a song.

Italian properties are a song now. Sell your 1 bed in Dublin and you can get a villa.

I don’t buy that she would go to a fee paying school. Where exactly?

• Advertisement

I didnt see this as a plothole either.

A lot of talented players in their school years do not continue it on for various reason but i think it was evident that he was in a downwards spiral with anxiety and depression and it was something that he didnt want to or was able to get back in to.

Advertisement