Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Looking forward to the sequel 'Abnormal People and Murder They Wrote' where Connell and Marianne do a Bonnie and Clyde after a relationship hiatus. Connell has decided to ditch the chain, renounce Trinity and become a cannibal and Marianne goes along for the feast.

'I Don't Know, Maybe That's Normal?"

Jessica Fletcher then appears and says in a strong Cork accent:"It's Not boi"

People might not be able to connect Normal People and Murder She Wrote as a crossover and say it doesn't fit, and that it's not like this with other TV shows, but i think they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

What was with all the English at Trinity? Even the unseen lecturer heard in the opening scene with Connell there had an English accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,623 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What was with all the English at Trinity? Even the unseen lecturer heard in the opening scene with Connell there had an English accent.

Attempt to make it relevant and popular in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

"Spoke out" - I don't think it's great either but lol.
    I never quite understood college culture. Wearing crap clothes, going to a crap nightclub instead of paying a cover charge on a decent one, walking rather than spending 2 quid on a bus etc etc. Really would never have been my scene.
    They're broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I never quite understood college culture. Wearing crap clothes, going to a crap nightclub instead of paying a cover charge on a decent one, walking rather than spending 2 quid on a bus etc etc. Really would never have been my scene.

Trinity Students liked this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't think I was the target audience and I didn't really care about the story or characters, but I can't think of any Irish production that was better acted, directed, and produced. I find I can't buy in to Irish TV a lot of the time with terrible acting and accents, this set a new bar. I know the same people are making another TV show of one of her books, I'll def give it a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

What’s with all the assumptions made further up the thread about Trinity?

It’s a public university. You can go there on exactly the same basis as UCD, UCC, NUIG, UL, DCU or anywhere else. Your fees are state supported and if you’re on low income, you’ll get the same SUSI grants as anyone else.

You apply through the CSO and the university won’t know who you are beyond a points score. So there’s absolutely no possibly whatsoever that it’s exclusive or only open to the well to do.

Being in the middle of city centre Dublin, it’s also been the handiest university for many people from relatively less well off parts of the city too.

But I really just get fed up with this “Trinners” talk. It’s not some private, fee paying stuck up South Dublin school. It’s the complete opposite: a public university with open and equal access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

As someone said previously, UCD seems like the more "stuck up" one (obviously I don't mean every student).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I know the same people are making another TV show of one of her books, I'll def give it a watch.

Sally Rooney’s first book is called ‘Conversations with friends’. I read it recently. It was fine at the start, but the narrative quickly became very repetitive. To be honest, I only finished it out of obligation.

However, as you say, I think the ‘Normal People’ team will do a good job adapting it for TV. There’s enough material in the book to craft it into a decent screen play.

I’ve seen the actors they have cast for the lead roles. My only disappointment is that they are mostly established American and British actors, although I think a new young actress from Cork has been cast. What I liked about ‘Normal People’, was the fact that it opened up careers for two fresh talents (Paul & Daisy). I guess with the almost inevitable international success, more established actors wanted in on this project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hamachi wrote: »
    Sally Rooney’s first book is called ‘Conversations with friends’. I read it recently. It was fine at the start, but the narrative quickly became very repetitive. To be honest, I only finished it out of obligation.

However, as you say, I think the ‘Normal People’ team will do a good job adapting it for TV. There’s enough material in the book to craft it into a decent screen play.

I’ve seen the actors they have cast for the lead roles. My only disappointment is that they are mostly established American and British actors, although I think a new young actress from Cork has been cast. What I liked about ‘Normal People’, was the fact that it opened up careers for two fresh talents (Paul & Daisy). I guess with the almost inevitable international success, more established actors wanted in on this project.

It is usually the money providers wanting to reduce risk, in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭golfball37

I don't think I was the target audience and I didn't really care about the story or characters, but I can't think of any Irish production that was better acted, directed, and produced. I find I can't buy in to Irish TV a lot of the time with terrible acting and accents, this set a new bar. I know the same people are making another TV show of one of her books, I'll def give it a watch.

It was shot in Ireland with Irish director but fairly sure it was a British production.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It was ordered and funded by the BBC & Hulu but produced in Ireland. The budget will always have a massive impact on the quality of the end product so an RTE funded/Irish produced version of the show would have been very very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It was ordered and funded by the BBC & Hulu but produced in Ireland. The budget will always have a massive impact on the quality of the end product so an RTE funded/Irish produced version of the show would have been very very different.

And produced by Irish people. The outside broadcaster provides all the funding but use mainly Irish crew to produce the series (it would actually be extremely expensive to bring in hundreds of British production members and base them in the country for months).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hamachi wrote: »

Is it still set in Ireland? We aren't gonna have Americans and British pretending to be Irish are we? I know people will say that Daisy did an exceptional job at the Irish accent and I agree but would be a real turnoff for me if the accents were dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is it still set in Ireland? We aren't gonna have Americans and British pretending to be Irish are we? I know people will say that Daisy did an exceptional job at the Irish accent and I agree but would be a real turnoff for me if the accents were dodgy

Someone mentioned, Murder She Wrote, further up. Saw an Oirish episode of it the other evening. Decided to watch it, for the fun. Harmless and simple for a TV episode but would grate in a higher level production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’m almost certain it will be filmed mostly in Dublin, with some of the action switching to France. If they are faithful to the book, a significant amount of filming should happen in Trinity.

All I know is that three of the four protagonists will be played by non-Irish actors. Have no idea how authentic their accents will be. Daisy was exceptionally good; best I’ve ever heard in fact. As you say, I’m dubious that the next batch of actors will be as credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mescal has won a Bafta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I see that this series is now up for FIFTEEN IFTA nominations. Not that these mean anything anyway.

Am I alone in think thing that this programme is one of the most overhyped in many many years? Personally I thought it a load of boring mono-syllabic dross.

When will it die?? These are 2021 IFTA awards for a series shown in 2020 that was made in 2019?? Will it still be receiving award nominations in 2030??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Doodah7 wrote: »
    These are 2021 IFTA awards for a series shown in 2020?

Submissions must be first screened in Ireland or internationally within the Awards period between 1st February 2020 and May 31st 2021

https://ifta.ie/awards/rulesandguidelines.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement