Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't agree about Sarah Greenes casting.
    The point is she acts the part of a mom to a teenager.
    It's realistic she could be a young looking mom, after all, she supposedly had Connell as a teenager herself.
    But the chemistry between them, you would easily believe she is his mother.

As I said, her performance is good. Just if people are complaining about ages that's the only one that is a bit questionable. No one outside Ireland will be aware of that more than likely and I doubt they would notice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭robwen

Marianne resembles a younger Maggie Siff to me from Billions & Sons of Anarchy fame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Enjoying it so far, wasn't sure after the first two episodes last week but it has perked my interest now that they have moved on to college, although the secondary school stuff was done really well. The portrayal of the different characters in Trinity is done really well, it's not the most exciting thing to watch but it is so well done and realistic which is what has me enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

It's what I feared really - when a series gets such plaudits and acclaim the begrudgers have to come out in force. Welcome to the internet

Sadly I just see this thread becoming completely unreadable over the next few weeks

So far we've seen some say the characters are too young, others the actors are too old, others the actors are too young and too old- or something... actually I give up!

If it wasn't that it would be something else. People really are so miserable in this day and age

The real coup de grace though is criticising the casting of a 35 year old in a 35 year old's role... It's just about funnier than those who would seem to rather they cast two different lead actors to just play 3 episodes. Enough said

In fairness the majority who dislike it have given valid reasons which are perfectly understandable. There's always a few though

Good publicity + positive acclaim + large coverage = large scale internet begrudgery in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The only unrealistic thing I've seen so far is the Leaving Cert student sitting at home on a random Tuesday evening, close to exams time, and drinking a can of Bulmers with his mam, while watching TV!

• Advertisement

Enjoying it so far, wasn't sure after the first two episodes last week but it has perked my interest now that they have moved on to college, although the secondary school stuff was done really well. The portrayal of the different characters in Trinity is done really well, it's not the most exciting thing to watch but it is so well done and realistic which is what has me enjoying it.

Yep episode 3 is where it really picks up.

Such a Shame about that nob in the nightclub as she was really starting to come out of her shell and was enjoying her night. Who knows what would have happened had her night not been cut short?

It was all set up for Connell in school the week after. His relationship has basically been revealed, it's clear everyone has put 2 and 2 together after taking her home, and it's his chance to take the high ground and make it 'public'.

But in typical teenage style after his panic attack in the bathroom , he strolls out as if nothing has happened, puts on a front to the group again and to cover up he asks the pretty school bitch to the Debs - it's the completely realistic reaction from an anxious teenager, and although we wish we could give him a royal kick up the arse , I think anyone who went to school in rural Ireland can completely relate to him!

I think it's a really well portrayed episode.

Your man coming out and just casually dropping in his knowledge of the relationship too - and the face on Connell when he does!!

Also when Karen scolds him "what's she ever done to you?" and his response "what's she done to Waldron is the question"! :D

Jeepers I could feel Connell's awkwardness when attending the party.

Having to turn up sober on your own, basically not knowing anyone, having nothing in common with anyone there - such a difficult situation.

His isolation in his new environment is portrayed brilliantly.

Also having the pint with his immature friend from school back home, was quite clear that it was all a bit laboured - and a bit of a subtle indication of regrets from his time in school being spent mainly on shallow associations.

You genuinely get the sense that his actions around the Debs caused him great distress for quite some time and by that stage he's caught in a storm of wanting to distance himself from that period and the events of his final school year but also being unable to attach himself to anyone in his new environment. His one constant of course being Marianne

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Id deffo gping to give it a go but if you arent a country gaa kinda person would you understand it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

FitzShane wrote: »
    The only unrealistic thing I've seen so far is the Leaving Cert student sitting at home on a random Tuesday evening, close to exams time, and drinking a can of Bulmers with his mam, while watching TV!

Not as uncommon as you think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

bigpink wrote: »
    Id deffo gping to give it a go but if you arent a country gaa kinda person would you understand it

I have two English friends who loved it. Neither has Irish roots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

bigpink wrote: »

I think secondary school politics, first kiss, first love, mental health issues and the awkwardness of the first few weeks in college are universal issues that everyone can relate to. I also think Irish people can relate more to it and country people who made their way to college in Dublin maybe a little more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

The casting absolutely ruins what should be an outstanding production. Bad casting takes away all credibility to make it a reasonably serious situation for both the main leads. How is Connell`s mam supposed to act seriously with that set up. Sarah Greene is an outstanding actor but this role and its casting makes it impossible for her. She was brilliant in Dublin Murders as well

Its the fault of the casting director especially and to an executive extent the producer and director

Dreadful, no one can take it seriously in my house without groaning and laughing its so pathetic

Drifter50 wrote: »
    The casting absolutely ruins what should be an outstanding production. Bad casting takes away all credibility to make it a reasonably serious situation for both the main leads. How is Connell`s mam supposed to act seriously with that set up. Sarah Greene is an outstanding actor but this role and its casting makes it impossible for her. She was brilliant in Dublin Murders as well

Its the fault of the casting director especially and to an executive extent the producer and director

Dreadful, no one can take it seriously in my house without groaning and laughing its so pathetic

I found this show by mistake. Never heard of the book or seen a trailer. 100% had no idea what I was turning on. I watched all of it in about two days and not once did it cross my mind that they were the wrong age. I enjoyed it for what it was a well produced, well acted show. I was also fooled into thinking Marianne was Irish in real life which is a testament to how well she played the part. Some people just need to get out of their own way and they'll enjoy it more. I will wait a few months and go back and watch it again, thats how much I enjoyed it. Also thought the music was really good and not just the songs some of the piano pieces etc.

Drifter50 wrote: »

How old an actress would you have cast for the role of his mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

What a load of auld guff.
    Boring as hell.
    Won't be watching any further.

Zzzzzzzz

Rodin wrote: »
    Boring as hell.

Zzzzzzzz

Ignorance is bliss.

I dont think Sarah Greene even looked especially young in it, she looked a tired and old 35. She hardly looked like she did in Dublin Murders; they aged her and she looked like a woman who worked hard and struggled all her life as a single parent. I dont see any issue with it at all.

As for Mescal, he would be 22/23 at the end of the story, and he's 24 IRL. Not sure why people are getting so annoyed about this.

I'm guessing most of the criticism is from people who actually don't know the characters' backgrounds from the book (ie the actual characters' ages), and are assuming that every family on these shows should be 'conventional' with Connell's mother being a 50 odd year old stereotypical Irish mammy with shorter hair and a strong rural accent

Shock horror - people have children in their teens. In my own year in school (yes in real life) one of my fellow students had a single mother 16 when she had her, and another was born when her parents were 17. In my brothers year three of his classmates had kids by the time they did the leaving cert - the 2 girls had to drop out in 5th year

Owen farrell the rugby player's parents were 16 when they had him. There was a woman in the Apprentice a few years ago who had a child at about 15

Are people really so naive to think that sex is not widespread amongst teenagers? and yes - accidents happen!

Some people seem to take some extremely trivial things very seriously when watching things like this. Is it really a big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I binged the whole series in one night. Don't think I've ever been as emotionally impacted by a TV show.

It was the perfect storm of all these universal themes we can all relate to like teenage peer pressure, young / first love, that self-identity struggle we all have as we move into adulthood and maybe change environments with a new college / work life, depression, the grief of suicide, communication issues that we can all experience in relationships. And add on top of that a world-class director, astonishing acting and a uniquely Irish setting that made it so nostalgic for me personally.

My only fear now is that these two actors will get so much exposure from the success of the show that they'll end up being "Hollywood"-ised and going the route of shyte blockbusters and movie / TV projects that are far inferior to the material they had to work with in this show, but that's probably inevitable and sure fair play to them.

I think the real hero of this whole series is Lenny Abrahamson, he really knows how to captivate the viewer in his visual storytelling, his use of silence, attention to detail, close-ups etc is incredible and makes me want to watch everything he's ever directed to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

gp1990 wrote: »
    Some people seem to take some extremely trivial things very seriously when watching things like this. Is it really a big deal?

I think they've lowered themselves to that because there isn't anything else to give out about. The usual low hanging fruit (dodgy accents, wooden actors,ridiculous Irish stereotypes) are absent from this so now we're down to whining about the actors' ages.

Loved this show the acting was great bar one fella. I thought the small lad her friend/boyfriend in Italy couldn't act the egit. The rest of the acting was really good but I thought he was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Ah come on now
    Sarah Greene is 35 and an outstanding actress. She is a single girl and Yes, she could pass for 28/30. The 2 leads are supposed to be 18-22 if timelines work. The male lead Paul must have a hard paper round if he is 24, he could pass for 28/30 easily. Fair enough Daisy could pass for 19, her real age is 21. What about all the schoolmates, take a look at them, they are not teenagers or anywhere close.The guy from Fair City is 26 and even Rachel looks like her mum`s sister

A good casting director will take all these issues and find actors to fit the roles, not the other way around, thats why the shows credibility is wrong

Yes, the show is good but it could have been outstanding, thats the pity

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

bitofabind wrote: »
    I binged the whole series in one night. Don't think I've ever been as emotionally impacted by a TV show.

It was the perfect storm of all these universal themes we can all relate to like teenage peer pressure, young / first love, that self-identity struggle we all have as we move into adulthood and maybe change environments with a new college / work life, depression, the grief of suicide, communication issues that we can all experience in relationships. And add on top of that a world-class director, astonishing acting and a uniquely Irish setting that made it so nostalgic for me personally.

My only fear now is that these two actors will get so much exposure from the success of the show that they'll end up being "Hollywood"-ised and going the route of shyte blockbusters and movie / TV projects that are far inferior to the material they had to work with in this show, but that's probably inevitable and sure fair play to them.

I think the real hero of this whole series is Lenny Abrahamson, he really knows how to captivate the viewer in his visual storytelling, his use of silence, attention to detail, close-ups etc is incredible and makes me want to watch everything he's ever directed to date.

Can't really see either actor ever working outside arthouse type stuff tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

gp1990 wrote: »
    Jeepers I could feel Connell's awkwardness when attending the party.

Having to turn up sober on your own, basically not knowing anyone, having nothing in common with anyone there - such a difficult situation.

His isolation in his new environment is portrayed brilliantly.

Also having the pint with his immature friend from school back home, was quite clear that it was all a bit laboured - and a bit of a subtle indication of regrets from his time in school being spent mainly on shallow associations.

You genuinely get the sense that his actions around the Debs caused him great distress for quite some time and by that stage he's caught in a storm of wanting to distance himself from that period and the events of his final school year but also being unable to attach himself to anyone in his new environment. His one constant of course being Marianne

I think you described it really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Rodin wrote: »
    Boring as hell.

Zzzzzzzz

cant disagree with that, i dont think there making enough of connal now ben nhe loner and marianne being the popular one switch around.

will watch the rest as OH is watching

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Have watched up to episode 4 and loving it so far. It's so unbelievably accurate, right down to the types of people you'd meet at Trinity. Even Marianne's English flatmate reminds me of a girl I knew in college. I thought it portrayed the small mindedness of many Irish secondary schools perfectly.

My (English) flatmate was a bit confused about why someone as pretty and cool as Marianne wasn't popular and I tried to explain that that was kind of the point. Nobody actually thought she was ugly or pathetic, she just didn't fit in, and didn't try to fit in, and that made them all extremely uncomfortable. That kind of personality might have been popular in a London school but being like that in rural Ireland would be like social suicide. It's all about GAA and whatever is mainstream, and I thought the show portrayed that really well. It also showed how Marianne wasn't totally a victim - she was very rude and aggressive to the teacher in the first episode, and she was openly snotty and superior acting at times, and really not very likeable at all, and to me that stopped it being too much of a cliché of 'shy girl gets gets bullied'.

The only thing I haven't liked so far was that the age thing is a bit jarring - your man who plays Connell could easily be 30+. He's very old looking for 24. Others have said the mam looks too young to be his mam and I don't agree - I think she also looks very old for her age. She could easily be in her forties rather than 35. Was she maybe aged with make up for the series? I noticed in the first episode that the actress playing Marianne wasn't really Irish, as the accent seemed to slip a bit between different regional accents (even getting a bit Nordie at one point) and the English accent slipped out a little bit, but I think I just have an ear for this stuff. It was overall pretty convincing, and I thought her performance was brilliant.

Can't wait to see the rest now...trying to skim my eyes over a few spoilers in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think Connell looks like hes in his early 20s, no idea where anyone's getting 30 from.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus it's just brilliant really. Beautifully shot, cast is excellent and it's so relatable - though I personally would pick from strands of either characters on that score. Looking forward to next week already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

AdamD wrote: »
    I think Connell looks like hes in his early 20s, no idea where anyone's getting 30 from.

He has very deep frown lines and just way more wrinkles than you'd expect at that age. He looks far older than he is, IMO. I had a boyfriend like that in my early twenties, who looked a decade older than he was. Led to some weird and awkward situations where people thought he was a bit of a creep for dating a much younger woman (I was actually a year older than him!)

Have watched up to episode 4 and loving it so far. It's so unbelievably accurate, right down to the types of people you'd meet at Trinity. Even Marianne's English flatmate reminds me of a girl I knew in college. I thought it portrayed the small mindedness of many Irish secondary schools perfectly.

My (English) flatmate was a bit confused about why someone as pretty and cool as Marianne wasn't popular and I tried to explain that that was kind of the point. Nobody actually thought she was ugly or pathetic, she just didn't fit in, and didn't try to fit in, and that made them all extremely uncomfortable. That kind of personality might have been popular in a London school but being like that in rural Ireland would be like social suicide. It's all about GAA and whatever is mainstream, and I thought the show portrayed that really well. It also showed how Marianne wasn't totally a victim - she was very rude and aggressive to the teacher in the first episode, and she was openly snotty and superior acting at times, and really not very likeable at all, and to me that stopped it being too much of a cliché of 'shy girl gets gets bullied'.

Yep you have it in one

Think she's more portrayed as not making the effort and dressing 'plainly' than actually being physically unattractive

As can be seen when she makes the effort in the nightclub, even the nastier lads from the popular group acknowledge she scrubs up well.

But the definition of good looking from the perspective of teenagers is based on much more superficial and shallow aspects than natural beauty

Also its clear in the nightclub scene that she's coming out of her shell after a drink or two, so I don't get the criticism some have that she suddenly becomes a social person the minute she hits college. The college crowd are just much more on her level than the school clique

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »

Yep and even still, people can tend to look far older or younger than they actually are - its fairly normal :confused:

Things like regular exposure to sunlight can cause slightly ageing skin, heavy drinkers/smokers, stress etc. can add years to people's complexions and then you have sportspeople that might be bulkier than the average person and this can add a few years, or the likes of jockeys who are so skinny they look way younger than they are - and so on

It reminds me looking back that there was a guy in my year in school about 6"5 and 17 stone and when he was 17 he'd go down to the shop and buy fags for all the smokers - not once was he asked for id despite them having a notoriously strict policy, the manager was well known as a complete stickler in general, my cousin of 30 was id'd a few times in there :D

That's life - sure how on earth is Tadhg Furlong below 30!!

Advertisement