Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I never heard of the book and am really enjoying the series.
    Just a very real storyline, acting is good and Marianne's /Daisy's accent is spot on.

I watched episode 5 last night, and am almost* tempted to listen to Joe Duffy's Liveline next week, just to hear the commotion...
    Naked man with full frontal nudity, upset viewers who can't remember how to use their remote control to switch off, and no doubt a lot of people who've never experienced passion and are just downright jealous.

*almost but probably not.

And re: ages, my son is 20 and was never ever asked for ID as a late teen, he always looked older and could grow a full beard from 17.
    His older sister still gets asked at 23, she's quite petite.

Nobody's experience of anything will ever be the same.
    Thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

One part of the show that really frustrated me, maybe someone can explain...
    When they're in college and Connell needs to go back home to Sligo for the summer as he can't get work...why was this such a big deal?! They are only 2 bloody hours away from each other...and it's only for the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

sheroman01 wrote: »
    One part of the show that really frustrated me, maybe someone can explain...
    When they're in college and Connell needs to go back home to Sligo for the summer as he can't get work...why was this such a big deal?! They are only 2 bloody hours away from each other...and it's only for the summer!

I think it was more about their communication issues kicking in than the actual logistics of the situation itself.

Like,
    Connell was afraid of being vulnerable and asking Marianne if he could stay with her, and the whole thing got overblown in his head. My take was it was hard for him in that moment to be vulnerable and honest about the fact that he couldn't afford to stay in Dublin and was sort of at her mercy, his pride kicked in and he sort of pre-empted any rejection by saying "I suppose you'll want to see other people", which of course Marianne took as him breaking up with her.

I thought it was a really good example of how our anxieties and fear of rejection can really play out in our relationships and lead to all sorts of heartbreaking misunderstandings. It reminded of one of my big breakups a few years ago actually and how we were so hurt by one another that we were barely able to hold a conversation at the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Will there be second series? It looks like it's already a huge hit and usually when that happens they try to milk it. Will Sally Rooney write a second book? Not sure how I'd feel about that, would it ruin it?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Promised myself I'd not watch ahead of the scheduled tv times...watched eps 3 and 4 yesterday from Monday night and had to continue onto 5 and 6 last night. Just my point of view but in ep 3 I dont think Connell is portrayed as being as socially outcasted in college as much as some people were saying he was? I dont know maybe Im wrong. After watching ep 6 last night and all I could think of was "aaaarrgghh what the hell is up with these two?!". Cannot wait to see ep 7 later on via iplayer. (Please dont say what happens!!) Not much of a tv head and never really get drawn into series but this Has. Got. Me. Hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Promised myself I'd not watch ahead of the scheduled tv times...watched eps 3 and 4 yesterday from Monday night and had to continue onto 5 and 6 last night. Just my point of view but in ep 3 I dont think Connell is portrayed as being as socially outcasted in college as much as some people were saying he was? I dont know maybe Im wrong. After watching ep 6 last night and all I could think of was "aaaarrgghh what the hell is up with these two?!". Cannot wait to see ep 7 later on via iplayer. (Please dont say what happens!!) Not much of a tv head and never really get drawn into series but this Has. Got. Me. Hooked.

It's more in his own head, isn't it? People in that episode were fairly kind and sound to him, but he felt he didn't fit in with them. I know I felt like a duck out of water in Trinity, not being from the same kind of background most others were from. It can be massively alienating. I almost felt like everyone else had some secret language or code and I wasn't in on it. I can't say anyone was unkind but I just felt so incredibly out of place, like Connell does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Is there somewhere we can now watch all the episodes instead of waiting for it to air on RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

BBC iPlayer and Hulu

Is there somewhere we can now watch all the episodes instead of waiting for it to air on RTE?

BBCiplayer but you'll need a VPN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

I think Hulu does too (I've never used it). The BBC iPlayer is very good at detecting that you're using a VPN though so maybe Hulu might work better?

Tork wrote: »
    I think Hulu does too (I've never used it). The BBC iPlayer is very good at detecting that you're using a VPN though so maybe Hulu might work better?

Hasn't detected mine for over a year now.

Is Hulu available in Ireland? I thought it was US only.

Is Hulu available in Ireland? I thought it was US only.

It is and BBCiplayer is only available in the UK, hush hush, wink wink.:D

My firestick gives me channels to make me smile.

Isn't Peggy the most unPeggy-like-Peggy you've ever seen?
    If you've ever met a Peggy, you'll know what I mean!

(Please don't sing the above ^^^)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

It's more in his own head, isn't it? People in that episode were fairly kind and sound to him, but he felt he didn't fit in with them. I know I felt like a duck out of water in Trinity, not being from the same kind of background most others were from. It can be massively alienating. I almost felt like everyone else had some secret language or code and I wasn't in on it. I can't say anyone was unkind but I just felt so incredibly out of place, like Connell does.

You're right, it is in his head. Theres a bit in the pool, episode 6 I think, where what most would deem a very simple question puts him on the verge of a panic attack, and sets in motion a lot of the bad things that follow. Likewise with the debs. He suffers badly from anxiety and makes huge issues out of small things - though I dont doubt that Trinity is pretty daunting for someone from a rural background.

It is and BBCiplayer is only available in the UK, hush hush, wink wink.:D

I tried to join Hula but it wont accept Paypal from outside the US. Can you pm me detials on how to get these services in Ireland please? Mind you only if its easy as I'm a bit of a technophobe with regard to these things;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nice article here on the wardrobe, when people have clothes on, in Normal People.
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2020/may/06/why-normal-people-has-the-makings-of-a-fashion-classic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This is hands down the most relatable, authentic, emotional series I’ve watched in ages. I loved the book too but the way the story was portrayed really struck a cord with me.
    I felt every struggle and setback and comeback with them both. I can’t directly relate to some of their experiences, yet I could identify with everything they were going through in some way or another.

It gave the weirdest (in a good way) sense of nostalgia.
    It made me want to go back to my teenage self and give her a hug, and it evoked feelings of guilt in me for times where I didn’t stand up for the Marianne’s I came across during my formative years.

I think the portrayal of Connell’s character in particular was just flawless. At the risk of spoiling it for others who may not have watched ahead, I’ll just say that his character development is extremely important in a country where there’s still unfortunately a stigma around mental health issues.
    I knew so many lads like him growing up, afraid of their own feelings, unwilling to commit. It was all about the lads & the GAA and they would do nothing to jeopardise their standing in either circle.

It’s easily the best, most realistic Irish show I’ve ever seen. My emotions were so heightened I had a lump in my throat for most episodes & I shed a few tears too.
    I think the story is told now though, and another series would spoil it.
    I hope the two main leads get the recognition they deserve for their superb performances & enjoy continued success from the platform this will build for them.

Also, the silver chain Connell wore through the series now has its own fan page on Instagram. It currently has just under 50k followers which I think is hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It’s easily the best, most realistic Irish show I’ve ever seen. My emotions were so heightened I had a lump in my throat for most episodes & I shed a few tears too.

Same. It's been more than a week since I watched it and I'm still thinking about it. A friend texted last night and said "I'm kind of not OK since I watched it" and I get it - it brings up a lot of stuff for people. Past heartbreak, nostalgia, previous pain they've gone through, mental health struggles, especially in these heightened times. The reality of love and relationships and how messy and complicated they are, how people can love each other and hurt each other because that's what humans do.

I read last night that Lenny Abrahamson and all of his Normal People production crew are going to direct the adaptation of Sally Rooney's debut novel Conversations with Friends too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

bitofabind wrote: »
    Same. It's been more than a week since I watched it and I'm still thinking about it. A friend texted last night and said "I'm kind of not OK since I watched it" and I get it - it brings up a lot of stuff for people. Past heartbreak, nostalgia, previous pain they've gone through, mental health struggles, especially in these heightened times. The reality of love and relationships and how messy and complicated they are, how people can love each other and hurt each other because that's what humans do.

I read last night that Lenny Abrahamson and all of his Normal People production crew are going to direct the adaptation of Sally Rooney's debut novel Conversations with Friends too.

very true my head was in a jock after it , brought up alot of stuff from the past. Its the past though :) , I normally would run a mile from series like this , but this was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

SusieBlue wrote: »
    This is hands down the most relatable, authentic, emotional series I’ve watched in ages. I loved the book too but the way the story was portrayed really struck a cord with me.
    I felt every struggle and setback and comeback with them both. I can’t directly relate to some of their experiences, yet I could identify with everything they were going through in some way or another.

It gave the weirdest (in a good way) sense of nostalgia.
    It made me want to go back to my teenage self and give her a hug, and it evoked feelings of guilt in me for times where I didn’t stand up for the Marianne’s I came across during my formative years.

I think the portrayal of Connell’s character in particular was just flawless. At the risk of spoiling it for others who may not have watched ahead, I’ll just say that his character development is extremely important in a country where there’s still unfortunately a stigma around mental health issues.
    I knew so many lads like him growing up, afraid of their own feelings, unwilling to commit. It was all about the lads & the GAA and they would do nothing to jeopardise their standing in either circle.

I think the story is told now though, and another series would spoil it.
    I hope the two main leads get the recognition they deserve for their superb performances & enjoy continued success from the platform this will build for them.

Also, the silver chain Connell wore through the series now has its own fan page on Instagram. It currently has just under 50k followers which I think is hilarious :pac:

Excellent summary. For anyone who is willing to give this show a chance, or at least watch it with an open mind, will likely fall in love with it, or at least appreciate it. From a male perspective, I connected with so many aspects of the show, particularly Connell. It's so refreshing to see a show like this from an Irish perspective (and so beautifully shot and produced).

"I can’t directly relate to some of their experiences, yet I could identify with everything they were going through in some way or another. " - this reminds me of a lovely scene between Connell and Marianne where he says "Yeah, that's weird....but, I understand it". I dunno, that line stuck with me, really showed his vulnerable side and how compatible they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I concur with the lat few posts - this wasn't something I would typically watch, don't know why I did really, probably just a passing curiousity.

I watched it all over the weekend. It really hit home. I am not sure why, possibility because it resonated with my own experiences during my late teens/early twenties. Once I was drawn into it, I was fully entangled in the highs and lows of their relationship. The impact was quite profound, unlike any other TV series I have seen. It really got me thinking about past and present relationships and friendships.

The depiction of secondary school was laser-accurate. That sneering slagging atmosphere. Walking the minefield of maintaining peer group respect. Pandering to the rules of the shallow game of social acceptance.

Watching it again with my wife, she's going through the same rollercoaster ride. Even with the benefit of hindsight I am still on edge! Spotting several nuances which I hadn't picked up first time around.

0lordy wrote: »
    I concur with the lat few posts - this wasn't something I would typically watch, don't know why I did really, probably just a passing curiousity.

I watched it all over the weekend. It really hit home. I am not sure why, possibility because it resonated with my own experiences during my late teens/early twenties. Once I was drawn into it, I was fully entangled in the highs and lows of their relationship. The impact was quite profound, unlike any other TV series I have seen. It really got me thinking about past and present relationships and friendships.

The depiction of secondary school was laser-accurate. That sneering slagging atmosphere. Walking the minefield of maintaining peer group respect. Pandering to the rules of the shallow game of social acceptance.

Watching it again with my wife, she's going through the same rollercoaster ride. Even with the benefit of hindsight I am still on edge! Spotting several nuances which I hadn't picked up first time around.
    The biggest compliment I can give this show is that I watched it again. I have never done that before. And yes there are several things you miss the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Tork wrote: »

expressvpn works

expressvpn works

I can confirm that. The free ones are terrible. I tried several before I found the one you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Omg that scene where Connall asks her if she'd be embarassed if her friends in Dublin found out they were together in secondary school :(:( Actually one of the saddest scenes I've ever watched,was in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

wakka12 wrote:
    Omg that scene where Connall asks her if she'd be embarassed if her friends in Dublin found out they were together in secondary school Actually one of the saddest scenes I've ever watched,was in tears

Pure karma for him wasnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Didn't think much of this, but only half way through. I know its probably not aimed at me though. It seems to be written for a particular audience. It is atmospheric and observant but story and character development is poor IMO. It comes across to me as very contrived. The main Marianne story seems to be just the tired cliche of the dowdy, un-charasmatic and socially awkward girl who no one likes. All of a sudden, however, the whole world realises how amazing she really is. But there's no journey or major transforming event apart from a new wardrobe and look. The world just flips on its head, she becomes the popular one who gets the guy. The story completely skips this journey from awkward and excluded girl in school to popular and desirable woman in college. She disappears from school and her world magically transforms.

None of the male characters are really likeable. Almost all are one dimensional, either egotistical arseholes or sensitive, insecure white knights. There seems to be no fathers on the scene who might sit awkwardly in the middle.

I thought the storyline where the mother goes off on her son and loses all respect for him for breaking up with a one night stand was totally OTT and unrealistic, even though the mother would have known Marianne from working at her house. It only seemed to further the totally unique unappreciated and 'amazingness' of Marianne.

I saw a headline praising its handling of consent when in reality it expertly avoids any complexity. She is practically ordering him to get undressed and later have sex with her but he keeps 'double checking'. If the book/TV show really wanted to explore consent it could portray the more likely and thorny scenario where each are unsure of what the other person is really comfortable with and where words, intentions and actions don't match perfectly like they do here. All it really says about consent is that even if she is totally sober and practically demanding to go further, the male should put in place all the obstacles and formalities.

Will see how the story develops but the pacing is so slow and tedious I might not make it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Didn't think much of this, but only half way through. I know its probably not aimed at me though. It seems to be written for a particular audience. It is atmospheric and observant but story and character development is poor IMO. It comes across to me as very contrived. The main Marianne story seems to be just the tired cliche of the dowdy, un-charasmatic and socially awkward girl who no one likes. All of a sudden, however, the whole world realises how amazing she really is. But there's no journey or major transforming event apart from a new wardrobe and look. The world just flips on its head, she becomes the popular one who gets the guy. The story completely skips this journey from awkward and excluded girl in school to popular and desirable woman in college. She disappears from school and her world magically transforms.

None of the male characters are really likeable. Almost all are one dimensional, either egotistical arseholes or sensitive, insecure white knights. There seems to be no fathers on the scene who might sit awkwardly in the middle.

I thought the storyline where the mother goes off on her son and loses all respect for him for breaking up with a one night stand was totally OTT and unrealistic, even though the mother would have known Marianne from working at her house. It only seemed to further the totally unique unappreciated and 'amazingness' of Marianne.

I saw a headline praising its handling of consent when in reality it expertly avoids any complexity. She is practically ordering him to get undressed and later have sex with her but he keeps 'double checking'. If the book/TV show really wanted to explore consent it could portray the more likely and thorny scenario where each are unsure of what the other person is really comfortable with and where words, intentions and actions don't match perfectly like they do here. All it really says about consent is that even if she is totally sober and practically demanding to go further, the male should put in place all the obstacles and formalities.

Will see how the story develops but the pacing is so slow and tedious I might not make it!

He didn't break up with a one night stand! Where are you getting that from? He was having a relationship with her but he wanted to keep it secret because he feared ridicule from his peers if they found out. That is why his mother went off on him - for his cowardice and betrayal of his girlfriend.

I agree with you regarding lack of character development for Marianne. Perhaps that is more obvious in the book.

The lad playing Connell is an incredible actor.

Advertisement