Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 factor authentication

Options
  • 01-04-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any insight.

I forgot my password for the PlayStation network so I reset it. It asked my for 2FA but I never received the code. Resending doesn’t work.

I contacted Sony. They had a look and said it’s being sent and received. The phone number is correct.

They suggested to restart the phone. Try the sim in a different phone. Or contact my provider.

I’m with tesco mobile on an iPhone.

Contacted Tesco but gave up after 45 on hold.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

mad muffin wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering if anyone has any insight.

I forgot my password for the PlayStation network so I reset it. It asked my for 2FA but I never received the code. Resending doesn’t work.

I contacted Sony. They had a look and said it’s being sent and received. The phone number is correct.

They suggested to restart the phone. Try the sim in a different phone. Or contact my provider.

I’m with tesco mobile on an iPhone.

Contacted Tesco but gave up after 45 on hold.

Any ideas?

Can you try late tonight when mobile traffic will be low? Telecoms traffic is at all time high at the moment so it could be a case of just it's getting caught in the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

RedXIV wrote: »
    Can you try late tonight when mobile traffic will be low? Telecoms traffic is at all time high at the moment so it could be a case of just it's getting caught in the traffic.

Thanks. I’ve been trying at various time over the past week.

It comes from a +44 number, are you able to receive texts from UK numbers?

I think so. How would I find out? I’ve looked through my messages and I had received a code from them before but that was 2 years ago.

Okay. I got a friend in the UK to text me and I received the text.

• Advertisement

The fact they can say it's been "received" is kinda mental. I wonder what vision they have of that? do they mean it's now out on the network?

Not quite sure what else to offer you here buddy, Can you add another method of validation like email?

The fact they can say it's been "received" is kinda mental. I wonder what vision they have of that? do they mean it's now out on the network?

Not quite sure what else to offer you here buddy, Can you add another method of validation like email?

This is what they sent me.

Thanks for contacting PlayStation Support and for your patience whilst we looked into your query for you.

The recent checks performed shows that the verification messages requested have been sent correctly and they appear as delivered to you.

Ill try tesco again tomorrow. And then back to Sony if tesco can’t help I guess. I stupidly never wrote down the back up codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Might you have accidentally blocked the number they are sending from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It comes from a few different ones.

I get it from a 083 number and I'm Three, but I've also got it from a US number.

The 083 number also what I get blizzard codes from.

drake70 wrote: »
    Might you have accidentally blocked the number they are sending from?

Just checked. Not blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

mad muffin wrote: »
    Just checked. Not blocked.

I have similar problem, I changed password, now they are looking for code that was sent to my phone.
    The code never came, Irequested resend numerous times over the last week or so.
    I did receive a code at Christmas, so they have the correct number.

I can't find an email address or telephone number to contact Sony. Can anybody post contact details please?

As I can't log on anymore I can't turn off 2sv.
    Ta

patspost wrote: »
    I have similar problem, I changed password, now they are looking for code that was sent to my phone.
    The code never came, Irequested resend numerous times over the last week or so.
    I did receive a code at Christmas, so they have the correct number.

I can't find an email address or telephone number to contact Sony. Can anybody post contact details please?

As I can't log on anymore I can't turn off 2sv.
    Ta

Here’s the number. 01 691 7379

I tried again today. After a couple of time I code a code and then when I tried it it just kind of thought about it then went back to login. When I tried the code again it said it was invalid. Then after trying again for a few times it kept saying I tried too many time’s and to try again later. Just what I need at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not got lock out of PlayStation but locked out of Twitter now. I've tried to move as many of the 2FA to apps so as not to rely on email/text, Sony one of the few who don't give that option and Twitter while they do occasionally still ask want to text. While I'd rather have a second party backupable app do it, the MS and Steam ones allow me to just hit approve and it works.

If you can get it make sure to take down the back up codes they give you, these code always work but only once each.

Advertisement