Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power washer, moss?

Options
  • 01-04-2020 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi probably a stupid question but here goes I have moss on my 2 story house.
    Could I suck from a barrel with moss killer and spray on the hose or would the moss killer damage the power washer when it goes through it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved from Galway

I think it should be totally fine but maybe someone here in Gardening knows better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Depends on your washer obviously but I wouldn't imagine that it would do any damage.
    A lot of washers, like Karcher, have a detergent hose that for instance you pop into your 5 litre container of car shampoo. You remove the top half of the lance and spray as normal but it comes out at a much slower rate, pretty much the same as a standard hose. It draws the detergent up as it sprays. Put back on the lance and it stops drawing.
    I've used that for both Carwash and for spreading and diluting Chloras with no detrimental effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Depends on your washer obviously but I wouldn't imagine that it would do any damage.
    A lot of washers, like Karcher, have a detergent hose that for instance you pop into your 5 litre container of car shampoo. You remove the top half of the lance and spray as normal but it comes out at a much slower rate, pretty much the same as a standard hose. It draws the detergent up as it sprays. Put back on the lance and it stops drawing.
    I've used that for both Carwash and for spreading and diluting Chloras with no detrimental effects.
    What your describing there is a Venturi system and the soap doesn’t go thought the actual washer pump.

Chemicals are hard on the ceramic rings. If you insist on doing this make sure to flush with plenty of water afterwards.

We had a washer and lads did this and left the chemical lying in it and it was an expensive repair. I’ve banned all chemicals being added to water now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn’t imagine running it through a pressure washer and blasting it at the wall would do much good at killing the moss?

I assume you need to kill the moss as well as remove it (which the pressure washer could probably do with just water?) does it not need to soak in or something? Maybe a knapsack sprayer or something then use water to wash off?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you have a picture of the area?
    moss scrapes off hard surfaces pretty easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Blues14

It needs to soak in because it’s a 2 story it’s very high so I thought if I use a power washer it wud get most of the house.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    I wouldn’t imagine running it through a pressure washer and blasting it at the wall would do much good at killing the moss?

I assume you need to kill the moss as well as remove it (which the pressure washer could probably do with just water?) does it not need to soak in or something? Maybe a knapsack sprayer or something then use water to wash off?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Remove the moss with the power washer [then pick it up from all over the garden :( ]. After the wall has dried, spray with Patio Magic, or similar product containing Benzalkonium. You would be better off buying or borrowing a garden pressure sprayer to apply this in an economical way. They come in various sizes from 5 litres up to fairly big backpack types. If you have other uses for it, like spraying weedkiller, it would be a worthwhile purchase. You will need to apply the Patio Magic once or twice per year.

Advertisement