Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping the economy going in a lockdown

• 01-04-2020 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, how do we keep the economy going during these restrictions? Is that even possible somehow? Quite evidently we can't have all the nice things we used to have, but we surely can think of eays how to bolster it at least to some extent. Otherwise, if we fail to contain this virus and small to medium businesses start going bankrupt en masse, we might have just done more damage than prevented.

I'm no expert on these matters, so the list below is by no means exhaustive.

What we have available at the moment:
    - utilities (electricity, gas, bins, Internet, phones etc.)
    - post and delivery services stil operational
    - office/desk workers still working (from home) in a lot of places
    - some limited manufacturing
    - food services
    - banks and other financial institutions
    - food shops
    - farmacies
    - all primary emergency services
    - healthcare
    - roads and other infrastructure
    - farming
    - logistics providers

Given the above list and the other items I've missed, whay can we make or at least cobble together to try and salvage as much of the economy as we can?
    At the end of the day all those bills we all have will have to be paid somehow. Most importantly, the tax money needs to keep flowing so that we can afford to have a healthcare system battling this virus at the front lines.

Would be great to get some positive ideas and thinking in this thread. This nation has a lot of brilliant people and I'm sure some are here on boards as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

With the restrictions it’s utterly impossible with the exception of online shopping.

Until restrictions are lifted the economy will continue to shrink and the borrowings will rise while more business continue to close for good.

We need ideas to help continue life as it was before while restricting the effects of the virus, in other words lift the restrictions but still minimise the effects of the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 9 XyzLawyer123

Hmmzis wrote: »
    As the title suggests, how do we keep the economy going during these restrictions? Is that even possible somehow? Quite evidently we can't have all the nice things we used to have, but we surely can think of eays how to bolster it at least to some extent. Otherwise, if we fail to contain this virus and small to medium businesses start going bankrupt en masse, we might have just done more damage than prevented.

I'm no expert on these matters, so the list below is by no means exhaustive.

What we have available at the moment:
    - utilities (electricity, gas, bins, Internet, phones etc.)
    - post and delivery services stil operational
    - office/desk workers still working (from home) in a lot of places
    - some limited manufacturing
    - food services
    - banks and other financial institutions
    - food shops
    - farmacies
    - all primary emergency services
    - healthcare
    - roads and other infrastructure
    - farming
    - logistics providers

Given the above list and the other items I've missed, whay can we make or at least cobble together to try and salvage as much of the economy as we can?
    At the end of the day all those bills we all have will have to be paid somehow. Most importantly, the tax money needs to keep flowing so that we can afford to have a healthcare system battling this virus at the front lines.

Would be great to get some positive ideas and thinking in this thread. This nation has a lot of brilliant people and I'm sure some are here on boards as well.

The problem is that for a lot of desk workers, although technically working from home, the volume of work and the likelihood of being paid diminishes all the time. This is true of any supplier of services (lawyers, accountants, architects, estate agents and so on) so we will be expecting massive long term redundancies. This then of course has a knock on to many of the other sectors you mention above as less cash in the economy. The V shape recover seems unlikely to happen to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,599 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Some people are buying vouchers for their favourite places so they have some cash flow during this period.

I know of one place that is offering to double the value of the voucher when they reopen. So buy a €30 voucher and get €60 worth of goods.

Advertisement