Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Living off savings rather than dole

• 01-04-2020 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭

Basically left my last job early January and have been living off savings due to the fact I'd have gotten nothing for 9 weeks anyways

I'm just wondering if a person lived off their savings for a while even say 6/12 months would that effect a future claim? Cause I see a reason for delayed claim on the form

I am under the 20k saving threshold so could apply but would rather hold out and manage myself if possible as I really can't stomach the thought off being sent to Turas Nua and all these things

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I did a post grad course years ago and when I finished I got a part time job in a bar while figuring out what to do next. I lived on basically €90 a week and didn't claim job seekers. I look back on it now and think what an idiotic thing it was to do. Don't know why I didn't just claim job seekers for the days I didn't work. Apply for job seekers, you are entitled to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Basically left my last job early January and have been living off savings due to the fact I'd have gotten nothing for 9 weeks anyways

I'm just wondering if a person lived off their savings for a while even say 6/12 months would that effect a future claim? Cause I see a reason for delayed claim on the form

I am under the 20k saving threshold so could apply but would rather hold out and manage myself if possible as I really can't stomach the thought off being sent to Turas Nua and all these things

Keep your savings and claim after the 9 weeks.

I got the dole for about a year on my stamps after I was laid off a few years back. When they ran out I was called into Turas Nua or Intreo or whatever they were called. I applied to do an online IT course that lasted for a few months and kept them off my back. Now I was genuinely interested in doing that course but my point is if you can find something you're interested in online great or even something you're not especially interested in they'll leave you alone.

They're not interested in you. They're interested in ticking boxes and keeping you off the umemployment register so their numbers look good.

Good luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

I did a post grad course years ago and when I finished I got a part time job in a bar while figuring out what to do next. I lived on basically €90 a week and didn't claim job seekers. I look back on it now and think what an idiotic thing it was to do. Don't know why I didn't just claim job seekers for the days I didn't work. Apply for job seekers, you are entitled to it.

Thanks.

My main reason is tho is I and my 60 year old mam both have bad asthma and most likely I'd be expected to take a shop job etc which I was actually hoping for but with the covid 19 I'm so afraid of getting it and giving it to my mam that I'd rather tighten my belt and live off my savings until hopefully it's looking a bit safer out there

I'm just worried if say I apply in 6 months and say I've been living off my savings since then it might actually look worse I don't know maybe I'm overthinking

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭robinbird

Claim now. It will look worst if you don't.
    Force yourself out of your comfort zone and as another poster said even if they make you take a course which is unlikely it might not be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Thanks.

My main reason is tho is I and my 60 year old mam both have bad asthma and most likely I'd be expected to take a shop job etc which I was actually hoping for but with the covid 19 I'm so afraid of getting it and giving it to my mam that I'd rather tighten my belt and live off my savings until hopefully it's looking a bit safer out there

I'm just worried if say I apply in 6 months and say I've been living off my savings since then it might actually look worse I don't know maybe I'm overthinking
    You are overthinking, if you are entitled to job seekers, then claim it, this might be the best time to do it given the number of unemployed, I don't think there are many shop positions or courses there at present.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

I understand your concern. I'm voluntarily off work this week but have to go back next monday. I live with my 87 year old mother and am quite concerned about getting infected there and bringing it home.

Anyone could pick the name of a company closed due to the virus and send off for the covid payment. There is no way in hell they are checking all the applications they are getting although any abuse will likely catch up with them down the line. I think its ripe for abuse so fair play to you for being willing to spend your hard earned savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭jrmb

Keep your savings for real emergencies. Social welfare is designed for situations like yours.

I lived on basically €90 a week and didn't claim job seekers. I look back on it now and think what an idiotic thing it was to do.
    At the moment, a full-time supermarket worker's net income could be lower than the pandemic payment. Enjoy it while you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

jrmb wrote: »
    Keep your savings for real emergencies. Social welfare is designed for situations like yours.

Remember your claim is backdated to the day that you applied. If you're worried about going out and about then apply for JSB, then take your time getting the forms organised.

When things have calmed down then hand in the last forms and your first payment is backdated to your application date.

At least it was when I applied years ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Heckler wrote: »
    I understand your concern. I'm voluntarily off work this week but have to go back next monday. I live with my 87 year old mother and am quite concerned about getting infected there and bringing it home.

Anyone could pick the name of a company closed due to the virus and send off for the covid payment. There is no way in hell they are checking all the applications they are getting although any abuse will likely catch up with them down the line. I think its ripe for abuse so fair play to you for being willing to spend your hard earned savings.

Worst advice ever

Checking against the PAYE register is the first automated check they will do

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Worst advice ever

Checking against the PAYE register is the first automated check they will do

Where in my post did you get the idea I was posting advice exactly ? I clearly said it was abuse and would catch up with anyone who did it. And appreciated the OP spending his savings and not going that route when its money that could be going to people really in need.

Nobody will thank you for spending your savings and not availing of what is there to help you through. Especially in these very uncertain times, hold on tight to your savings. You don't say why you left your job, and you certainly don't need to state it, but given that you mention that you're uncomfortable at the prospect of having to engage with Turas Nua, then my advice would be to put your claim in, realize that with the massive unemployment caused by Covid-19 and the affects of social distancing, you are extremely unlikely to have to engage with Turas Nua etc., in the forseeable future. Get the claim in asap. You will not receive payment for the first three days after you claim. Take care of yourself.

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Nobody will thank you for spending your savings and not availing of what is there to help you through. Especially in these very uncertain times, hold on tight to your savings. You don't say why you left your job, and you certainly don't need to state it, but given that you mention that you're uncomfortable at the prospect of having to engage with Turas Nua, then my advice would be to put your claim in, realize that with the massive unemployment caused by Covid-19 and the affects of social distancing, you are extremely unlikely to have to engage with Turas Nua etc., in the forseeable future. Get the claim in asap. You will not receive payment for the first three days after you claim. Take care of yourself.

Basically I was working as a carer. However working with vulrenable people especially those with conditions such as dementia who can often get very aggressive and lash out on a daily basis completely destroyed my mental health to the point I got severe depression and I was regulary considering doing something stupid rather than having to carry on in the role

I can never go back to that job I could cry at the thought of it if I'm honest. I'll do or try any other job just can't go back to it

Should I put that on the form when it asked why I left my previous job and be honest

I even had a interview, medical and reference check passed a few weeks ago for a factory but now they are holding on new intake for the moment. The recruiter said I'd be the first in the list to contact when they contact her and I might just need to redo the medical depending on the time lapsed but who knows what will happen now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Heckler wrote: »
    Where in my post did you get the idea I was posting advice exactly ? I clearly said it was abuse and would catch up with anyone who did it. And appreciated the OP spending his savings and not going that route when its money that could be going to people really in need.

You told the OP that they arent checking the applications. It may not be explicit advice but as close to implicit advice as is possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP did you see your GP at the time or since about your mental health? It sounds like you should have applied for illness benefit when you left your job. I'm not sure of the requirements/ if you can apply for it now but I would definitely make an appointment to see your own Dr. and have a chat about your mental health and getting the illness benefit form filled in and sent off. These forms come from the GPs and they have a section that needs to be filled in by the doctor.

OP did you see your GP at the time or since about your mental health? It sounds like you should have applied for illness benefit when you left your job. I'm not sure of the requirements/ if you can apply for it now but I would definitely make an appointment to see your own Dr. and have a chat about your mental health and getting the illness benefit form filled in and sent off. These forms come from the GPs and they have a section that needs to be filled in by the doctor.

No I didn't. I was just in bed for weeks afterwards and didn't even think about doctors etc I just wanted out and spent weeks just curled up in a ball crying and that. He has been treating me for depression and anxiety for about years tho. Then when I started to feel better I got a friend to put me in for the factory job but then all this happened

I have been thinking tho. If I have bad asthma and am considered to be in the at risk group how does that comply with jobseekers seeing as I need to be fit and available for work I'm a bit confused

I have been thinking tho. If I have bad asthma and am considered to be in the at risk group how does that comply with jobseekers seeing as I need to be fit and available for work I'm a bit confused
    The "stay at home" order overrides the responsibility to look for work.

The "stay at home" order overrides the responsibility to look for work.

Is that just for the current 2 weeks or does it apply to the previous round of restrictions too? Thanks for all the help so far I honestly appreciate you all taking time to help

Is that just for the current 2 weeks or does it apply to the previous round of restrictions too? Thanks for all the help so far I honestly appreciate you all taking time to help
    It's harder to determine because you weren't employed, but on 13 March Intreo gave me a form and asked me to return it by freepost instead of going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

People with underlying conditions such as asthma are told to self isolate due to the high risk. You will be in that category until this blows over so will not have to go on courses or similar, AFAIK. So apply for what you are entitled to without worry.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

If I were you I would go to MyWelfare.ie right now and fill out the form for the Covid-19 payment. They'll ask whether you're currently receiving any benefits, and you can say no. Then they'll ask whether you have (or will have) any other claims in progress. Say yes.

When the claim is filed, apply separately for an out-of-work payment. There'll be an opportunity to give a written explanation of your circumstances. Mention everything.

You have nothing to lose, and it could make things much easier for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If I were you I would go to MyWelfare.ie right now and fill out the form for the Covid-19 payment. They'll ask whether you're currently receiving any benefits, and you can say no. Then they'll ask whether you have (or will have) any other claims in progress. Say yes.

When the claim is filed, apply separately for an out-of-work payment. There'll be an opportunity to give a written explanation of your circumstances. Mention everything.

You have nothing to lose, and it could make things much easier for you.
    He wont get the COVID payment as they’ll see he wasn’t
    ‘economically active’ on March 6th

Apply for jobseekers. There’ll be no activation for a long while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

You should have claimed after you left your job, you would only have been getting what you're entitled to anyway (stamps).

You're not always disqualified for leaving a job.

I left my job and got approved for my jobseekers benefit within two days.

Depends on the circumstances.. Don't always think you're doing the government a favor by not claiming what you're entitled to.

Jobseekers benefit is essentially your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks.

My main reason is tho is I and my 60 year old mam both have bad asthma and most likely I'd be expected to take a shop job etc which I was actually hoping for but with the covid 19 I'm so afraid of getting it and giving it to my mam

Worst case they send you to an interview, and you say the above to the interviewer, so the interviewer decides not to hire you. Your benefit eligibility is unaffected.

Seriously - many people (including me) pay taxes precisely so that people like you have a safety net when you need it. Please use it. We get really annoyed paying for people who take the p*xx. It's good to know that there are some genuine cases we're paying for.

Advertisement