Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

I passed two checkpoints today. I did a quick return trip to Cavan from Ardee, via Navan. One was a lone Garda with a jeep on the N3 on the way to Navan from Cavan. The other was just outside Navan Fire Station.

Whatever about the chap on the N3 (didn't see him stopping anyone), the one outside the fire station in Navan had three Garda vehicles (a Kona, an i40 and a Transit), with about 7-8 Gardai. Nobody being stopped. But even if they did stop you, it's in the middle of Navan town, nowhere near a county border. I can guarantee if I call the Gardai later on for scumbags acting the bollocks in my estate, they won't be seen for hours (if at all) and they've three vehicles and 8 Gardai standing on the side of the road scratching their holes.

Such a load of sh/te.

I can't see this lasting at all. Maybe they might chance it again tomorrow, but I'm doubtful. Such a crap approach to dealing with the public - yet all the morons that want to have house parties and congregate get the 'ah sure what can be done' treatment. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Can they put those 132 checkpoints on the border?

Lockdown makes zero ****ing sense when 1/5th of the country is following different guidelines and policies and when riddled with Covid up there

Border closed when?

The human one is endemic though- might as ask the tide not to come as try stop it especially at this stage. We’re eventually heading towards a Swedish model, whether people like that or not it’s entirely a matter for themselves. They’ll have a large degree of choice in what they feel comfortable doing or not

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corminators

Looking at various maps now. Seems the Garda checkpoint at Bray has traffic backed up to Sandyford.

How is this acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Looking at various maps now. Seems the Garda checkpoint at Bray has traffic backed up to Sandyford.

How is this acceptable?

It's not and I noted reporting on the news, Portyloo"s being delivered to the checkpointS on M4 AND N7

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Shower of tramps holding up the whole country.
    Are those ****w1ts still on the N7 this evening? I have to head home.

Whatever your issues are with the checkpoints, do not throw such comments about when these guys are just doing the job they are required to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's not and I noted reporting on the news, Portyloo"s being delivered to the checkpointS on M4 AND N7

Somebody's making good twine out of that. Some waste of taxpayer money this shambles is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Somebody's making good twine out of that. Some waste of taxpayer money this shambles is.

Yes, one guess who Actavo(SiteServ) I would bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

remember we are paying the overtime for this utterly pointless farce.

There’s lot of people making plenty out of this and using the opportunity to max influence and connections- especially the medical, media and political classes. Make no mistake about it.
    Think one of the other threads had an article about how much billionaires from the likes of Amazon and med companies have vastly increased their wealth

froog wrote: »
    remember we are paying the overtime for this utterly pointless farce.

They’re already smashing up the piggy bank to pay for it
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/5992267/government-rainy-day-fund-covid-19-budget-2021/amp/

• Advertisement

Are people asking the gardai what exactly the want, stopping people clearly on their way home from work?

They have no powers to enforce anything so it's NONE of their business where people are going or what they are doing.

Are people asking the gardai what exactly the want, stopping people clearly on their way home from work?

They have no powers to enforce anything

No they ask you- i was stopped today and it was very scripted line about what "was the purpose of my journey?" In fairness the Garda was very polite, I don't blame them, this nonsense is being foisted upon them from above. It's all sad reflection of where Irish society is at and it's probably going to take severe economic realities to correct things

They have no powers to enforce anything so it's NONE of their business where people are going or what they are doing.

It's a fair point but that's not how it works. What I find odd is why checkpoints at times people clearly going to and coming home from work, it's just moronic but I think quite deliberate in the sense, the Gardai themselves rubbing it in as a hint to gov to calm down. I've no objection to checkpoints as such but at appropriate times during the day and evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

I was getting away from all this crap in my van on the Burren the last few days.

No coverage on anything.

Came back down to lahinch last night, heard about this **** show,and drove Clare to Waterford today.

I hit about 8 'checkpoints' ,waved through every single one. Half of these 'checkpoints' consisted of two gGarda sat in car with blues flashing. That's it.

Pathetic waste of time.

Turning the population on our keystone idiots.

I got the vibe they did not want to dare hassle anyone.

Well done lads, good days overtime for you.

The lads on the ground, you have my sympathies.

The rest of the Garada can f u c k right off.

These idiots will have to deal with a lot of us next year if they keep playing stupid games with us.

What do you win if you play stupid games?

Not against enforcement, but it actually has to be reasoned and logical.

This is just cash for the lads to keep the cops quite, at our expense, financially and emotionally.

Any Garda reading this? You are loosing the people ,once and for all.

Also,f u c k anti maskers and rat lickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This is just cash for the lads to keep the cops quite, at our expense, financially and emotionally.
    Any Garda reading this? You are loosing the people ,once and for all.
    Also,f u c k anti maskers and rat lickers.

Out for a spin earlier, saw two Gards jump out of the car and pin down some scally in shorts, it appeared that he'd just tried to rob a car at the filling station opposite, they stuck on the spit hood and handcuffed him... this is the sorta thing we want to see from our Police...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

From what I see all they are doing is closing down lanes on major routes so creating major tailbacks to discourage anyone else driving for the rest of the week even though they have no choice if they need to work and get paid?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Out for a spin earlier, saw two Gards jump out of the car and pin down some scally in shorts, it appeared that he'd just tried to rob a car at the filling station opposite, they stuck on the spit hood and handcuffed him... this is the sorta thing we want to see from our Police...

That's actual policing as opposed to political posturing.

I think those running official Ireland are utterly out of sync with the day to day pain of life in this country.

When this is done, we need serious and real reform of this Republic and it's political class, or else it's blood.

I can't believe I'm typing this and standing over it, but here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Yes we need Gardai not Cardai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭bmc58

Proper policing that. Delaying people going to work at for up to an hour and a half at 7am in the morning just to please Micheal and Leo is not.

These are PSNI bully tactics learned directly from pushing around Catholic people up North.

Think about that for a second.

I have and a little silly to be honest, I'm no fan of Drew Harris but really??

• Advertisement

To be honest, what will things be like next week or next year regarding policing? We must support sensible policing and oppose authoritarianism , things are fluid, we must be on our guard.

Is it really appropriate down here?? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

I'm still baffled as to what the objective of this operation is, these people are completely detached from reality if they think this is going to achieve anything, which is probably why they didn't go into specifics as to what they were hoping to achieve in the first place. Meanwhile areas like Darndale, Finglas, Blanch, Corduff and the inner city slide further into chaos, I know these areas have always been ****holes but now it's verging on post-apocalyptic.

I'm still baffled as to what the objective of this operation is, these people are completely detached from reality if they think this is going to achieve anything, which is probably why they didn't go into specifics as to what they were hoping to achieve in the first place. Meanwhile areas like Darndale, Finglas, Blanch, Corduff and the inner city slide further into chaos, I know these areas have always been ****holes but now it's verging on post-apocalyptic.

in what way have they gotten worse in the past 7 months? If anything they are quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The checkpoints on the N7 this morning really annoyed me. A 30 minute journey became an hour and 40m journey, 30 mins late for work for no apparent reason. When I got to the actual checkpoint the Garda who was meant to be checking cars was literally facing the opposite direction of the cars waving drivers through.

What is the logic behind it? Who do they think they are catching at 7.30am. It was presumably 99% people going to work or school etc. Then they didn't even bother checking the cars when they went through! Jesus I felt tempted to roll down my window and shout abuse at the Garda.

Does anyone know if it is expected to be there often or again tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well they were a bit longer than 45 minute delays but at least its being raised on day 1.

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1313908756288339969?s=19

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1313911943418257408?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

in what way have they gotten worse in the past 7 months? If anything they are quieter

It's anarchy in most estates, non stop parties because the pubs are closed, feral kids out pretty much 24/7, the usual stuff but on steroids for most places.

the Garda who was meant to be checking cars was literally facing the opposite direction of the cars waving drivers through.
    Wasnt that facilitating you instead of delaying you even longer though? How long would it have been had they actually stopped every single car?
    I felt tempted to roll down my window and shout abuse at the Garda.
    Why? you think that Garda on his own decided to setup a massive checkpoint and then not stop the cars?

If anything he was trying his best to lesson the impact by not stopping everyone

It's anarchy in most estates

Its not though, what exactly are you refering to in this anarchy?

Stolen cars are down. Shootings are down. Scramblers are down. The rest is as is, no change. At least not on paper or from my time in the ones O am in. Admittedly I have no reason to be in Blanch or Finglas generally speaking

• Advertisement

Is it really appropriate down here?? No.

My own opinion is I understand the need for checkpoints and general enforcement but I've said quite clearly the approach this morning is a farce, targeting people clearly going to work is absurd, indeed I saw a garda tweet asking commercial vehicles to go to certain lanes, essentially to be waved through.

What I can only surmise for today's debacle is its a subtle message from garda HQ to government to cop on (excuse the pun), cause as much chaos to get a public reaction so Gardai mght be able to go back and do real policing.

Apart from the fact no enforcement powers available, I doubt rank and file Gardai want to be standing on main roads in gale force winds and driving rain, I also doubt they want to be using potable loo's on the side of a road. Just sillyness the entire approach. Checkpoints if necessary need to be properly targeted and at appropriate times, indeed I also saw on the news a checkpoint right outside a nation school. There's enough parental anxiety as it is.

Advertisement