Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Its not though, what exactly are you refering to in this anarchy?

Stolen cars are down. Shootings are down. Scramblers are down. The rest is as is, no change. At least not on paper or from my time in the ones O am in. Admittedly I have no reason to be in Blanch or Finglas generally speaking

You don't live in these areas, or know people from these areas, then why are you saying things are quieter, because there number of news articles are down? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corminators

People are still sitting in standstill traffic right now on the m11/m50 southbound due to the Garda checkpoint outside Bray.
    Look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Wasnt that facilitating you instead of delaying you even longer though? How long would it have been had they actually stopped every single car?

Why? you think that Garda on his own decided to setup a massive checkpoint and then not stop the cars?

If anything he was trying his best to lesson the impact by not stopping everyone

But what is the point in having a checkpoint if nothing is being checked? It felt like all of that time sitting in the car for nothing.

Your second point is true and why I obviously decided not to. But im guessing I'm not the only one who felt that frustration and I don't think it is doing anyone any good getting the average joe extremely browned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

People are still sitting in standstill traffic right now on the m11/m50 southbound due to the Garda checkpoint outside Bray.
    Look here.

Ridiculous set up, as if people aren't stressed and anxious enough about everything going on. There's no need for those checkpoints midweek during normal school/working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Look here.

They've been gone about 4 hours now, all the cones left out so the traffic is still being filtered but there's no Gardai there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Look here.

F u c k i n g disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

They've been gone about 4 hours now, all the cones left out so the traffic is still being filtered but there's no Gardai there

Ah stop, seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Its not though, what exactly are you refering to in this anarchy?

Stolen cars are down. Shootings are down. Scramblers are down. The rest is as is, no change. At least not on paper or from my time in the ones O am in. Admittedly I have no reason to be in Blanch or Finglas generally speaking

The little scrotes that the Gardai don't want to deal with. Much easier to try and intimidate people at checkpoints.

Most people should tell the Gardai where to go. I was stuck for an hour on the n7 this morning only for some gombeen Garda asking me why I couldn't do my job from home.

As usual Gardai are only interested in annoying the ordinary worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...while coming off at Wyatville and going right the way through the center of Bray is much, much quicker.

Its ludicrous that the guards are there, but even more ludicrous that people don't look at Google Traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ah stop, seriously?

Yup, long gone.

Bray area has been mental all day. Taking an hour to get through the town this afternoon

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    My own opinion is I understand the need for checkpoints and general enforcement but I've said quite clearly the approach this morning is a farce, targeting people clearly going to work is absurd, indeed I saw a garda tweet asking commercial vehicles to go to certain lanes, essentially to be waved through.

What I can only surmise for today's debacle is its a subtle message from garda HQ to government to cop on (excuse the pun), cause as much chaos to get a public reaction so Gardai mght be able to go back and do real policing.

Apart from the fact no enforcement powers available, I doubt rank and file Gardai want to be standing on main roads in gale force winds and driving rain, I also doubt they want to be using potable loo's on the side of a road. Just sillyness the entire approach. Checkpoints if necessary need to be properly targeted and at appropriate times, indeed I also saw on the news a checkpoint right outside a nation school. There's enough parental anxiety as it is.

If this was a stratagem from the big brains in GHQ, well they f u c k e d it.

You may have sent a message to your paymasters, but I think most of the country despise you now after your carry on today.

Good luck with your consensus policing going forward, because I consider the Garda as an organisation unfit for purpose and a threat to the republic. You are the enemy now, along with the rest of the scumbags in Irish life who we all know but can't say. Two cheeks ,same arse. Idiot gombeens all.

****ing stratagem,l old, I bet none of the garda management has played a total war game or hearts of iron.

We are being led by gombeens fools, as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If this was a stratagem from the big brains in GHQ, well they f u c k e d it.

You may have sent a message to your paymasters, but I think most of the country despise you now after your carry on today.

Good luck with your consensus policing going forward, because I consider the Garda as an organisation unfit for purpose and a threat to the republic. You are the enemy now, along with the rest of the scumbags in Irish life who we all know but can't say. Two cheeks ,same arse. Idiot gombeens all.

****ing stratagem,l old, I bet none of the garda management has played a total war game or hearts of iron.

We are being led by gombeens fools, as ever.

Not at all sure what your point is

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

At midnight last night the Minister uttered the magic word. *Overtime* and Gardai emerged from *No resources* like headline chickens to frustrate the taxpayer. New Commissioner is a disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Get Real wrote: »
    Seriously. You don't think politicians are in garda management's ears to cover their own arses if Level 3 goes t*ts up because they chose to go against NPHET?

"handy" as you say, overtime. Being forced to cancel annual leave, or arrange a baby sitter, or be called into work on your wife's birthday. To stand like a lollipop and get grief off people, while you have a tonne of paperwork and red tape that you can't get done on your work days, never mind your day off. 15 hour shifts?
    That's not handy. It's no choice. Imagine at the drop of a hat, you were rang at 10pm on a Friday evening, to come in for 6am on Saturday and tough if you've plans.

The guards themselves also commute to work don't forget, and also get caught in these ridiculous jams. They probably agree with you.

Just pawns taking the flak, many layers below the legal aid train, bureaucracy, politics and bomb passing.

I've never seen anyone have a pop at nurses when they can't get a bed in hospital. They blame the minister. Same should happen here. Overtime is a symptom of putting a plaster over a resource wound in the first place. What human wouldn't want there workload eased a bit by extra staff?

People should put in freedom of information to the minister and demand answers. Not moan at the lads on the ground.

How are ya Gard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I agree with all the posters claiming this is absolutely bonkers. As always in Paddyland, the ordinary law abiding citizen is screwed over.

Not at all sure what your point is

Neither am I, I'm angry, frustrated and drunk, ****ing pissed off with covid, but very worried about the sate of our state.

Idon't want to live in a police state basically. All for hard enforcement, just lay the facts on the table first, we are all grown ups, but if you want to beat me, tell me what I done first.

***Edit, just read previous post and you might get it....***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

I appreciate the efforts of the Gardai. Imagine having to deal with some of the grey tracksuit scumbag brigade and then see a judge take pity on them only to have them back out again terrorizing neighborhoods and laughing in their faces. How we still have any Gardai left in this country is beyond me. Our legal system is shambolic, completely and utterly shambolic and that’s the real issue.

Greatest pile of nonsense this morning, traffic jams was all that was achieved and few if anyone, including myself were even questioned, the cynic in me thinks GARDA HQ decided, cause as much inconvenience as possible, upset the general public and just maybe they might be allowed to go back to constructive police work. Just a farce with Zero enforcement allowed or even attempted, all show, no action basically.

You’ll have a lot more worries in a few weeks time such as 1300 cases per day in a months time if this doesn’t solve it - so really I couldn’t care less about your inconvenience - I’ve experienced lockdown when most of the rest of the country didn’t give a sh1t and were out having golfing parties- so suck it up buttercup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The checkpoints on the N7 this morning really annoyed me. A 30 minute journey became an hour and 40m journey, 30 mins late for work for no apparent reason. When I got to the actual checkpoint the Garda who was meant to be checking cars was literally facing the opposite direction of the cars waving drivers through.

Drove into Dublin tonight for work and it was chaos in the opposite side of the road. Checkpoint at the blackchurch with traffic all the way back to citywest. One guard was dealing with the traffic whilst up to a dozen others were huddled together hiding from the rain in the blackchurch car park. I'm in full support for extra measures to fight covid but that sort of attitude will soon turn people against them. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Yet again the government are showing what an absolute shambles they are.

Whoever thought putting checkpoints out on a Wednesday to deter people from leaving the County should take a long hard look at themselves.

• Advertisement

You’ll have a lot more worries in a few weeks time such as 1300 cases per day in a months time if this doesn’t solve it - so really I couldn’t care less about your inconvenience - I’ve experienced lockdown when most of the rest of the country didn’t give a sh1t and were out having golfing parties- so suck it up buttercup

How was the overtime today Garda? Bit wet I guess, but easy money.

How was the overtime today Garda? Bit wet I guess, but easy money.

What did you do today ?

Valresnick wrote: »
    What did you do today ?

What do I do today?

Drove from Lahinch to Waterford through 8 'checkpoints', waved through all.

Who are you anyway ask me? What is your point?

fawlty682 wrote: »
    . New Commissioner is a disappointment.

Agreed

What do I do today?

Drove from Lahinch to Waterford through 8 'checkpoints', waved through all.

Who are you anyway ask me? What is your point?

I’m a guard..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Do we know for sure if these 'checkpoints' will be in operation tomorrow morning as well???

Just trying to figure out if I need to leave an hour earlier than normal for my 25 min commute
    Cazale wrote: »
    Drove into Dublin tonight for work and it was chaos in the opposite side of the road. Checkpoint at the blackchurch with traffic all the way back to citywest. One guard was dealing with the traffic whilst up to a dozen others were huddled together hiding from the rain in the blackchurch car park. I'm in full support for extra measures to fight covid but that sort of attitude will soon turn people against them. Shocking stuff.

I’m a guard..

So ' I'm a Guard' is supposed to end this conversation? That's it?

You are the problem, so get your sneaky squad on my IP address I'm obviously a seditionist.

Are you really a Garda? Very hard to believe, my left bollock is a Garda as well.

To be honest though, not surprising if you are. I expect nothing less than blind obedience from the corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭bmc58

The checkpoints on the N7 this morning really annoyed me. A 30 minute journey became an hour and 40m journey, 30 mins late for work for no apparent reason. When I got to the actual checkpoint the Garda who was meant to be checking cars was literally facing the opposite direction of the cars waving drivers through.

What is the logic behind it? Who do they think they are catching at 7.30am. It was presumably 99% people going to work or school etc. Then they didn't even bother checking the cars when they went through! Jesus I felt tempted to roll down my window and shout abuse at the Garda.

Does anyone know if it is expected to be there often or again tomorrow?

Logic? Scare the sh*t out of ordinary law abiding Irish people.N Ireland policing is drifting south.

So ' I'm a Guard' is supposed to end this conversation? That's it?

You are the problem, so get your sneaky squad on my IP address I'm obviously a seditionist.

Are you really a Garda? Very hard to believe, my left bollock is a Garda as well.

To be honest though, not surprising if you are. I expect nothing less than blind obedience from the corrupt.

I’m not a guard but I had you going. Stop giving them such a hard time.

• Advertisement

I’m not a guard but I had you going. Stop giving them such a hard time.

That post is the weakest thing I have encountered this year. Don't be telling anyone else want to do.

Hay, maybe join the cops, you sound like the perfect fit tbh

Advertisement