Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

They're trying to turn everyone against everyone, the pro Government ball lickers working from home against the rest of us who are severely inconvenienced by travel restrictions, Government scum should be removed.

Unlike the USA we have no right to bear arms as a constitutional right and you know what ? damn shame because the Government can walk all over us.

There's a lot more People on the N7 than there are Guards, the Guards are in a dangerous position the more they push People sitting in this traffic, they don't stand a chance against thousands of angry drivers.

I think they've been doing a fantastic job, I can guarantee within a week that these traffic jams will be lessened and those who have a genuine need to travel will be seamlessly through the checkpoint.

There's still a large amount of people taking the absolute piss and they know this. It simply won't be worth people's while shortly enough.

A priority lane for large hauliers is a fantastic idea and will hopefully lessen the burden on these people being caught up in the checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

During the lockdown I could go through up to 10 checkpoints a day while out working and every garda I met was sound. Today I've gone through 2 checkpoints, the first the Garda stood in front of the van and had a read of a sticker on the bumper, the second the Garda checked the discs and walked around the van pulling at straps. Not a word out of either one, they seem to have a bit of an attitude today, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think they've been doing a fantastic job, I can guarantee within a week that these traffic jams will be lessened and those who have a genuine need to travel will be seamlessly through the checkpoint.

There's still a large amount of people taking the absolute piss and they know this. It simply won't be worth people's while shortly enough.

A priority lane for large hauliers is a fantastic idea and will hopefully lessen the burden on these people being caught up in the checkpoints.

Yeah of course you think they're doing a great job sitting at home on your laptop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,739 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yeah of course you think they're doing a great job sitting at home on your laptop!!!

I assume you are not posting from your mobile while driving. That might cost you a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

jay48 wrote: »
    During the lockdown I could go through up to 10 checkpoints a day while out working and every garda I met was sound. Today I've gone through 2 checkpoints, the first the Garda stood in front of the van and had a read of a sticker on the bumper, the second the Garda checked the discs and walked around the van pulling at straps. Not a word out of either one, they seem to have a bit of an attitude today, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

they should not be stopping commercial vehicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

thelad95 wrote: »

I can guarantee you are wrong. Dublin is the main hub of the country for employment. Where do you think the majority of the people stuck for an hour on the M7, M4 or M11 are going between 4pm and 6?

I'll give you a clue....they're not out for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

jay48 wrote: »

I was travelling,(legitimately), on the M1 from Dublin to Drogheda around lunchtime today. I came across signs after the Balbriggan South exit which said ‘Roadworks Ahead single lane traffic’.
    The traffic was funnelled by cones into one lane and slowed to a stop-start traffic jam for a couple of miles. When I eventually reached the ‘roadworks’ there were none, just a Garda checkpoint at the Julianstown exit.
    I don’t mind that the Gardai are setting up checkpoints but I really don’t see the need for this kind of deception. I assume the reason for the false information was to dissuade anyone from ‘escaping’ at the Balbriggan North exit.
    The Gardai need the cooperation of the public. This kind of stunt doesn’t help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

They're trying to turn everyone against everyone, the pro Government ball lickers working from home against the rest of us who are severely inconvenienced by travel restrictions, Government scum should be removed.

Unlike the USA we have no right to bear arms as a constitutional right and you know what ? damn shame because the Government can walk all over us.

There's a lot more People on the N7 than there are Guards, the Guards are in a dangerous position the more they push People sitting in this traffic, they don't stand a chance against thousands of angry drivers.

The height of irony that you called someone else's post a load of bollocks a few posts earlier and then come out with this horse sh1t.

Start your revolution there, let us know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭pah

Hi there, I work for Waterford Whispers News and we want to get in touch with YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I think these checkpoints adding to the drudgery of getting to and from work will just make people p:ssed off and less cooperative with restrictions.
    Idiots where they have their unenforceable checkpoints. I think it’s more about revenue for tax and insurance than covid

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mad_Lad - do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

screamer wrote: »
    I think these checkpoints adding to the drudgery of getting to and from work will just make people p:ssed off and less cooperative with restrictions.
    Idiots where they have their unenforceable checkpoints. I think it’s more about revenue for tax and insurance than covid

Let’s hope so. The more PR damage done to this pointless and futile rubbish- the better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

are they going to give them more powers or can they still just advise people to turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I have just spent an additional hour getting home this evening because of a pointless checkpoint (where they were checking no-one) on the N11. They just closed a lane to create a traffic jam and stood looking at us as the traffic crawled along bumper to bumper for miles.
    This is just bullying - a form of aggressive coercion which will be utterly counterproductive.
    When are we ever going to grow up in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Got this on what's app about sums up the planning on checkpoints.. Some waste of a speed van..??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

afro man wrote: »
    Got this on what's app about sums up the planning on checkpoints.. Some waste of a speed van..??

Or great positioning of the checkpoint so that Joe public doesn't get screwed both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

keano25 wrote: »
    Or great positioning of the checkpoint so that Joe public doesn't get screwed both ways

Never thought of that fair play to garda

blanch152 wrote: »
    I assume you are not posting from your mobile while driving. That might cost you a bit.

Well Obviously I was "in work"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Well Obviously I was "in work"

Banned for ignoring threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

How is the traffic out there this morning. Looks green on Google maps around N7/N4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Guards decided to put a checkpoint on that well know major cross country route...... the road through Barna :mad:

Stopping every car & making people late for work & school.

What the hell has this got to do with stopping people travelling to different counties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Came across a couple today one between Mountmellick and portlaoise and then coming out of killkenny not to mention long tail back naas road south .Garda was taking details of one driver so checking tax etc as well I suppose .No big surprise if some sort of fines introduced Drew Harris seems keen on these measures .Bank Holiday week will be full on with checkpoints.

Discodog wrote: »
    The Guards decided to put a checkpoint on that well know major cross country route...... the road through Barna :mad:

Stopping every car & making people late for work & school.

What the hell has this got to do with stopping people travelling to different counties ?

Checkpoints did exist before covid

Checkpoints did exist before covid

Yes but not purely for the purpose of asking you where you are going.

"Normal" checkpoints stop selected cars not every car. You don't get really long queues from the usual checkpoints.

And the aim should be to discourage people from travelling outside of their county.

Yes but not purely for the purpose of asking you where you are going.

"Normal" checkpoints stop selected cars not every car. You don't get really long queues from the usual checkpoints.

And the aim should be to discourage people from travelling outside of their county.

No, plenty of checkpoints stop everyone. Its completely at the discretion of those doing it and in the case of MIT checkpoints, its all cars and thats that

No, plenty of checkpoints stop everyone. Its completely at the discretion of those doing it and in the case of MIT checkpoints, its all cars and thats that

Are checkpoints normally set up to discourage people from using their cars by deliberately causing long delays?

I have never heard of "normal" checkpoints causing long delays.

I have never heard of "normal" checkpoints causing long delays.

I have so I guess neither statement proves anything other than personal experience.

Go through a large mit checkpoint on the m1 or Dublin city centre on a Friday evening sometime.

Or a covid checkpoint last May pretty much anywhere in Dublin at 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

afro man wrote: »

Too Funny, Hilarious , I doubt the speed van will catch too many at that location albeit I am sure the Gardai will share their Portable Loo :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

241 new cases in Dublin alone, over a 1000 in total, kinda says it all really with these pointless checkpoints over the past week and more to the point, how long has Dublin been at level 3???

These county by county restrictions simply not working. I suspect the Taoiseach & Leo, sharing some humble pie this evening. Absolute mess, perhaps they might actually start listening to the experts now.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭larchielads

If im stopped by the cops on my way to the airport will i have to prove my travel is essential if the fines are in place?

Advertisement