Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

If im stopped by the cops on my way to the airport will i have to prove my travel is essential if the fines are in place?

Has to be an essential journey or work related, given as of Monday, not a single country on tge Green list, I assume travel won't be classified as essential. Fines only being discussed at the moment but if enacted there will be fines for non essential travel and leaving your county for non essential travel etc. With the way numbers are going, no one will be driving soon.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If im stopped by the cops on my way to the airport will i have to prove my travel is essential if the fines are in place?

If you are already in Dublin, no.
    If you are crossing a county boundary, potentially yes.

What I mean is that the current SI only covers crossing county boundaries.
    Nothing about leaving the State.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

if its non essential travel I would think so.

They cannot stop you. Just advise you to reconsider.

They cannot stop you. Just advise you to reconsider.

The op asked if fines were in place

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    The op asked if fines were in place

If they can show their travel is essential, then it’s ok. Otherwise, they have to weigh up the pros and cons. They cannot be stopped. They are travelling at their own risk.

If they can show their travel is essential, then it’s ok. Otherwise, they have to weigh up the pros and cons. They cannot be stopped. They are travelling at their own risk.

O, I agree, it's just uncertain what this fine idea is going to entail, Fine and turn back, if not arrest and seizure of vehicles. They really need to think through this notion very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think people are missing the point. It's very easy to make up an essential journey excuse/lie if you really want to go somewhere intercounty. The Gardaí cant and wont verify your story.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think people are missing the point. It's very easy to make up an essential journey excuse/lie if you really want to go somewhere intercounty. The Gardaí cant and wont verify your story.

Better off to hand those Gards a phone, take them off delaying people and goods from getting to work and their destinations and get them contact tracing instead... Much better use of the massive Garda OT budget...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Better off to hand those Gards a phone, take them off delaying people and goods from getting to work and their destinations and get them contact tracing instead... Much better use of the massive Garda OT budget...

It can't be beyond the realms of possibility for them to have vehicle number recognition software that provides an immediate pop-up of the registered address/county of a vehicle. They can then get their mate further up the road to stop any cars outside their "recorded" county and ask them whether they are travelling on legitimate business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Beasty wrote: »
    It can't be beyond the realms of possibility for them to have vehicle number recognition software that provides an immediate pop-up of the registered address/county of a vehicle. They can then get their mate further up the road to stop any cars outside their "recorded" county and ask them whether they are travelling on legitimate business.

There’s nothing to say that the registered address is your actual place of residence.

Pain in the ass this not leaving county bit. I've just done a 50km round trip to shop, before this, 19km, just on the county border. I wouldn't mind so much the original 20km rule.

Eaomon Ryan won't be pleased :)

Beasty wrote: »

Waste of resources unless FPN's are being issued at the same time...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Waste of resources unless FPN's are being issued at the same time...
    There is no legislation for that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Last Thursday I got caught up in one of these. Took 2 hours and fifteen minutes. Normally takes 45 minutes
    The cops reduced two lanes to one.
    Then just stood there.
    I'm a teacher so I have no choice to but to go to work.
    I live in a different county to the one I teach in
    Is this ****e going on next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The point is to cause delays. Those who are choosing to travel will hopefully not making it less painful for those that must. That's the theory anyways...

I'd say there's a legitimate business opportunity in all this. Selling sleeping bags at the side of the road, or charging to use a portaloo.

I was out and about today, mostly around Dublin/Louth/Meath/Offaly area. Seems they aren't as proactive today (probably costs more to have a Garda on a sunday) but the cones are still hanging about the roads where the big checkpoints took place.

So even though the Gardai are at home having a cup of tea, the cones are still there, to ensure that traffic funnels into less lanes, causing backlogs anyway.

It must be one of the most damaging things to have happened to the Garda public image in a long time. There's nothing about it that assists the people that have to get out of bed to keep the country going, it's just an attack on the plebs having to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It Gardai simply being incompetent and not using brain cells and smiling because of all the overtime they are getting for it

I went from Kildare to Ballymount last week using back roads.

I had to spin to Tipperary today to sort something out on a property, checked aa route planner and choose a route without checkpoints.

all the checkpoints do esp at peak times is cause utter frustration and currently its "where are you going?" answer "work", and away you go.

So costing a fortune in overtime and costly a fortune in delays

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Absolutely meaningless “checkpoints”. I’ll say this though, they appear to be stopping a lot of vans and finding stolen dogs though so it’s not all in vein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The whole point is creating delays to put off casual shoppers, let's go and visit granny types. They do need a commercial traffic lane though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Absolutely meaningless “checkpoints”. I’ll say this though, they appear to be stopping a lot of vans and finding stolen dogs though so it’s not all in vein.

The M4 one near me they're definitely profiling and my god the amount of stolen tools, no insurance etc.. they're finding. Ruining the Christmas for irelands cheekiest group.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The M4 one near me they're definitely profiling and my god the amount of stolen tools, no insurance etc.. they're finding. Ruining the Christmas for irelands cheekiest group.

If it's all a pretense to get ontop of "them" then I'm all for it. Stop every battered hiace in the country thrice daily.

I think ONE van (it was a truck) with dogs was stopped. And it was to do with unlicensed breeding rather than theft.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is no legislation for that yet.

Exactly.... Yet....

Nothing to stop them using ANPR equipped Drones either to issue fines for those who cross county lines...

....if nothing else it would remove the need for the waste of Garda resources you see on all the routes into Dublin etc..

The M4 one near me they're definitely profiling and my god the amount of stolen tools,

That's urban myth - how do they know they are stolen?

Again, nothing showing up to back this urban myth up.

But certainly a some uninsured drivers, but not as many as the tweets would suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

silver2020 wrote: »
    That's urban myth - how do they know they are stolen?

Again, nothing showing up to back this urban myth up.

But certainly a some uninsured drivers, but not as many as the tweets would suggest

well when you see the coned off lane has a transit going on the back of a recovery truck , gardai putting about 4-5 dewalt boxes in the back of a car and 3 people who clearly have never lived above a concrete foundation standing there dealing with other gardai you can put 2 and 2 together.

been through that checkpoint 4 times now and theres always a transit, hiace or similar stopped.

Im aware its not the intended outcome but getting to see that lot have their chops bust by gardai makes it all worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

ED E wrote: »
    The point is to cause delays. Those who are choosing to travel will hopefully not making it less painful for those that must. That's the theory anyways...

People driving at 8am are generally doing so because they must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Acosta wrote: »
    People driving at 8am are generally doing so because they must.

Has anyone been traveling on the N7 from Nass towards Tallaght around the hours of 6pm to 7pm?

Has there been any checkpoints going that direction around those hours? Or are all the checkpoints going out of Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Got stopped this evening at a Garda checkpoint going to a friend’s holiday home across the country for the week. The cancer card was deployed. I don’t do that very often in real life (boards.ie on the other hand... ;)) but as my MIL pointed out, for me this IS an essential journey.

We were waved through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Operation "Wreck the f##kin head off ye"

https://fb.watch/13ROWKku07/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement