Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

papu wrote: »
    That's a welcome change in my eyes. Some folk have no cop on when it comes to house parties and noise.
    I agree, but gardai have never cared about noise, why would they now.
    The article states "house parties" --that's just a way to sell it -people automatically think noise/booze/drugs, good they're cracking down on that .
    What if you're going to have a cup of tea with a friend or two - could be considered 'going to a house party' if wrong place, wrong time.

Quote from the article:
    "Gardaí will also have the power to issue fines to those suspected of seeking to attend a house party."
    That's just insane...

Depending on the situation, Gardai can kick your door in without either a warrant or your permission. Then leave through the hole where your door was.
    The public should be armed for their own protection. This is the future Ireland is going into - gardai break-ins to homes to 'prevent spread' or whatever the 'situation' demands. (We are all criminals now if we don't fall in line with this nonsense).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Some hyperbole in here. The Guards won't be kicking down doors to break up your afternoon cup of tea with Mary down the road FFS.
    It's clearly aimed at the utter pisstakers who have **** loads of people around having a massive party (like the infamous ones on college road area in Cork). Even at that they will only knock,won't enter, ask people to break up the party and only after some knob tells the guard no will they look to fine the occupier (but still won't be able to enter the house!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Gardai must be immune to Covid.

Daily I'm seeing my ltiple guards in groups in Garda cars and never wearing masks.

I'm baffled

Thats like them being able to use mobiles while driving as they are unlike the rest of us and won't cause accidents

Thats like them being able to use mobiles while driving as they are unlike the rest of us and won't cause accidents

If you understood anything about the law you would understand that gardai are exempt from certain road traffic offences for very good reason.

Gardai use radios and official mobile phones as part of their duty, now how would you suggest them doing so if it was against the law?
    There are plenty of things that you could find fault with, exemptions to road traffic is not one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Well I guess I must be immune also. Three in my household and we don't wear masks at home. It's bizarre Ted.

Different scenario in a closed environment work place with work colleagues that you may or may not know vs family members think about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Gardai must be immune to Covid.

Daily I'm seeing my ltiple guards in groups in Garda cars and never wearing masks.

I'm baffled

If you walk past Tara Street fire station, you'll see all the fire lads sitting in there without masks.

Fact is, I've no issue with it. They've masks on when dealing with the public. But the guards, and fire lads spend more hours in work than at home. Basically the people they're with are family.

Both are dealing with blood, junkies, vomit, saliva, touching people, being up close and personal with people. I don't think wearing a mask in a Garda car or fire brigade office is where they're going to bring it home.

Could wear a mask all day, for weeks, and have one junkie you get it off.

Also, put in a request to your local TD on how many Gardaí or fire brigade personnel have covid as a proportion of total staff. They're two places it hasn't spread like wildfire.

Not that they shouldn't wear masks when dealing with the public or entering buildings (they do) but by your logic, you wear a mask at home 24/7 or when in your car with your family members. At all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been covered already.

Is there any truth to the suggestions that the recent legislation passed to allow the guards enforce fines/prison time to those hosting house party's is basically useless if they can't get the homeowner to open his or her front door, as they've no authority to force entry to the property, and basically the owner can ignore them?

Please tell me it ain't so.

McMurphy wrote: »

Is there any truth to the suggestions that the recent legislation passed to allow the guards enforce fines/prison time to those hosting house party's is basically useless if they can't get the homeowner to open his or her front door, as they've no authority to force entry to the property, and basically the owner can ignore them?

They don’t need gain access to find out who either owns or rents a property.

They don’t need gain access to find out who either owns or rents a property.

You might need it to prove the person was in the house at the time, was conscious/aware of the party going on I would expect though.

You might need it to prove the person was in the house at the time, was conscious/aware of the party going on I would expect though.

The owner or tenant doesn’t need be at the party. They are responsible.

• Advertisement

The owner or tenant doesn’t need be at the party. They are responsible.

Lol, source?

Am I responsible for a crash on the M50 involving my car that some scrote robbed?

Also exempt as they use their phones for work purposes and aren't allowed install handsfree into state cars

Lol, source?

Am I responsible for a crash on the M50 involving my car that some scrote robbed?

Had someone stolen your house?

At the moment it looks like that's the way it will be. Another half assed measure that the people expected to enforce, can't.

What else is new in this whole debacle? Penal offences that carry zero penalties or enforcement ffs!

eleventh wrote: »
    The public should be armed for their own protection. This is the future Ireland is going into - gardai break-ins to homes to 'prevent spread' or whatever the 'situation' demands. (We are all criminals now if we don't fall in line with this nonsense).

You have said this before I think.

Armed to protect against unarmed Gardai lawfully entering your property. Another absolute zinger.

Sure why not take even the handcuffs off the police? Make it even more one sided.

"Well judge, there I was minding my own business battering the wife and kids when the Gardai come through the door without even a warrant! So I took out the uzi and shot the ****ers dead"

Yep, seems reasonable to me.

At the moment it looks like that's the way it will be. Another half assed measure that the people expected to enforce, can't.

What else is new in this whole debacle? Penal offences that carry zero penalties or enforcement ffs!

Thanks, and for clarity I'm not having a go at the gards nor legislatiors - but it seems that particular legislation is deeply flawed, I'd be fully behind more powers to deal with house party's etc as it happens, there's no doubt at all hosting a feckin house party in the midst of a pandemic isn't exactly the smartest thing to be doing.

But granting the gards permission to forcibly enter a person's home might be a step too far and so the whole argument goes full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Justice Minister said on Newstalk that the Gardai could wait outside & issue fines to people as they leave.

Discodog wrote: »
    The Justice Minister said on Newstalk that the Gardai could wait outside & issue fines to people as they leave.

Great use of police time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Most houses fortunately have back doors. :pac: Hop the neighbours fence and skedaddle. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Most houses fortunately have back doors. :pac: Hop the neighbours fence and skedaddle. Be grand.

The people inside only need to wait until the shift change and leave when the guards leave

It's not like it'll turn into another Waco siege

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

She must live in a dream world!

You have said this before I think.
    I have never said that before. And this is the problem. Someone making on-the-spot decisions regarding fines, break-ins etc in a time of crisis where they'll probably be working overtime under stressful conditions where memory mightn't be the best.
    If covid gets bad enough, there will be pressure on guards to up the campaign. (People tend to assume that now is as bad as it will get).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nonsense or otherwise (it isn’t btw) it’s the law.

If I think that beating up my girlfriend is ok, I’m heard by my neighbor, the screaming, crying, throwing, punching etc... I’m reported, I don’t answer the door to the Gardai, I’ve broken the law, there is danger to the health and wellbeing of my girlfriend.. are they going to stand there, finger on the bell, or will they kick the door down ? Same with covid tossers. Door gets smashed.

If they receive a report of a party, approximately xx people at 51 hilltop crescent, ovens, cork... they obviously can see and verify there is an illegal act in progress, why not kick the door in, enter the premises and stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Strumms wrote: »
    If I think that beating up my girlfriend is ok, I’m heard by my neighbor, the screaming, crying, throwing, punching etc... I’m reported, I don’t answer the door to the Gardai, I’ve broken the law, there is danger to the health and wellbeing of my girlfriend.. are they going to stand there, finger on the bell, or will they kick the door down ? Same with covid tossers. Door gets smashed.

If they receive a report of a party, approximately xx people at 51 hilltop crescent, ovens, cork... they obviously can see and verify there is an illegal act in progress, why not kick the door in, enter the premises and stop it.
    It's not the same at all.

Parties don't have to be loud. You could have a group of say 4 or 5 people where there's no music or noise. That will happen once, some neighbour reports there's people in the house. After that, the definition keeps narrowing. If household visits banned completely, powers will be there to knock and search any house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It's not the same at all.
    Parties don't have to be loud. You could have a group of say 4 or 5 people where there's no music or noise. That will happen once, some neighbour reports there's people in the house. After that, the definition keeps narrowing. If household visits banned completely, powers will be there to knock and search any house.

Truth, if it’s only a gathering, like six lads drinking beers and playing PS4 there is fûck all can be done I’d imagine...but if the Gardai received the report, can verify that there are people having a big party, two bedroom house, loud music, about 8-10 people.... fûck them, door goes in, evidence restrictions are being broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Get Real wrote: »
    If you walk past Tara Street fire station, you'll see all the fire lads sitting in there without masks.

Fact is, I've no issue with it. They've masks on when dealing with the public. But the guards, and fire lads spend more hours in work than at home. Basically the people they're with are family.

Both are dealing with blood, junkies, vomit, saliva, touching people, being up close and personal with people. I don't think wearing a mask in a Garda car or fire brigade office is where they're going to bring it home.

Could wear a mask all day, for weeks, and have one junkie you get it off.

Also, put in a request to your local TD on how many Gardaí or fire brigade personnel have covid as a proportion of total staff. They're two places it hasn't spread like wildfire.

Not that they shouldn't wear masks when dealing with the public or entering buildings (they do) but by your logic, you wear a mask at home 24/7 or when in your car with your family members. At all times.

I actually work in law enforcement but not with guards and in my section we are not allowed travel in multiples on one in each delegated vehicle.

Well that's me convinced.

Where do we pull these extra 5 or 6 thousand Gardai from and who is paying the overtime?

I actually work in law enforcement but not with guards and in my section we are not allowed travel in multiples on one in each delegated vehicle.

That's nice. Not how the Gardai operate though

• Advertisement

I have never said that before. And this is the problem. Someone making on-the-spot decisions regarding fines, break-ins etc in a time of crisis where they'll probably be working overtime under stressful conditions where memory mightn't be the best.
    If covid gets bad enough, there will be pressure on guards to up the campaign. (People tend to assume that now is as bad as it will get).

What? So your answer is to arm people and shoot them?

Bleeding hell your away with the fairies

Advertisement