Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

eleventh wrote: »
    It's not the same at all.

Parties don't have to be loud. You could have a group of say 4 or 5 people where there's no music or noise. That will happen once, some neighbour reports there's people in the house. After that, the definition keeps narrowing. If household visits banned completely, powers will be there to knock and search any house.

Domestic violence doesn't have to be loud either.

You made an insane comment and used very faulty logic to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sparky_marcus

What are peoples views on likelihood of getting from Dublin city center to Avoca without being fined?

What are peoples views on likelihood of getting from Dublin city center to Avoca without being fined?

Depends when you're going.
    Legislation for fines hasn't come in yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Really, including growing cannibis or dealing cocaine?
    They are health issues too.

An infectious disease is a totally different scenario e.g. to healthy eating which impacts only that person.
    It is more akin to drink driving where person's behaviour can impact innocent bystanders.

And not just when it comes to what happens in homes, where were the Guards in Cavan on county final day?

If Guards turning a blind eye to underage drinking in pubs, drinking after hours yes it would be reasonable to say that they are culpable.

So you believe if you are driving home from work, the Gardai should be able to stop you and give you a fixed penalty notice for drink driving, no test, nothing. There’s your fine and how to pay it?

If not, your analogy is nonsense. The Gardai can no more tell if you’ve Covid without a test than they can tell if you’ve had 2/3 pints without a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So you believe if you are driving home from work, the Gardai should be able to stop you and give you a fixed penalty notice for drink driving, no test, nothing. There’s your fine and how to pay it?
    If not, your analogy is nonsense. The Gardai can no more tell if you’ve Covid without a test than they can tell if you’ve had 2/3 pints without a test.

You don't need to be covid positive at the time, just engaging in behaviour deemed likely to contract \ spread it.

Anymore than a breathalyser can tell you that you'll crash your car because you are a bit over the limit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

You don't need to be covid positive at the time, just engaging in risky behaviour likely to contract \ spread it.

Anymore than a breathalyser can tell you that you'll crash your car because you are a bit over the limit.

What is the risk of catching/spreading a disease by sitting in your car alone? :rolleyes:

What is the risk of catching/spreading a disease by sitting in your car alone? :rolleyes:

Most car journeys don't involve the person staying inside the car alone all the time though, they are usually going somewhere or coming from somewhere. The 'somewhere' is what it's up to AGS to establish if it's a valid reason.

Most car journeys don't involve the person staying inside the car alone all the time though, they are usually going somewhere or coming from somewhere. The 'somewhere' is what it's up to AGS to establish if it's a valid reason.

Just out for a spin Garda, was getting cabin fever stuck at home.

Just out for a spin Garda, was getting cabin fever stuck at home.

after 3 months thats understandable, not after 3 days

after 3 months thats understandable, not after 3 days

Ah grand, who put you in charge??

• Advertisement

Ah grand, who put you in charge??

When its my checkpoint? I did

Ah, your one of them.

Ah, your one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Breezin

You're the best little Garda in Ireland, so you are! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

So is a trip to a Click and Collect store (Smyth's) that's is outside your 5km zone permitted?

If youre only in your car and have the item given to you are essentially in contact with no one but yourself.

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    So is a trip to a Click and Collect store (Smyth's) that's is outside your 5km zone permitted?

If youre only in your car and have the item given to you are essentially in contact with no one but yourself.

According to the Independent, no.

Q: Can I order goods from shops deemed ‘non-essential’ and collect them? Can I go further than 5km to do this?
    A: That depends on what you are collecting. It is permissible to collect medicines and other health products outside the 5km limit and food.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/your-level-5-questions-answered-can-my-kids-play-outside-with-friends-is-church-essential-and-can-i-travel-more-than-5km-to-collect-something-39653005.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

According to the Independent, no.

Q: Can I order goods from shops deemed ‘non-essential’ and collect them? Can I go further than 5km to do this?
    A: That depends on what you are collecting. It is permissible to collect medicines and other health products outside the 5km limit and food.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/your-level-5-questions-answered-can-my-kids-play-outside-with-friends-is-church-essential-and-can-i-travel-more-than-5km-to-collect-something-39653005.html

That's a load of bollix. Never mind Smiths but a lot of small businesses will be doing a click and collect. If guards are preventing people picking items up as its outside 5km it could be the differance between a business staying afloat or not. (Obvs driving Donegal to Waterford would be taken the biscuit)

That's a load of bollix. Never mind Smiths but a lot of small businesses will be doing a click and collect. If guards are preventing people picking items up as its outside 5km it could be the differance between a business staying afloat or not. (Obvs driving Donegal to Waterford would be taken the biscuit)

I agree re: it could be the difference between a business staying afloat or not.
    But I'm just pointing out at present it doesn't appear to be a valid reason for travelling further than 5km for getting through a checkpoint.

you see wat you did there? You made a personal decision on what you consider acceptable and what you do not. Just as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

scamalert wrote: »
    what abuse shop at your local rip off centra or have a choice to drive 10-15km to decent store, no way it will be enforced maybe few examples but eventually will become wavepoints as it was during first lockdown.

Not sure if you live rural but perhaps you don't understand the actual cost of shopping local, very admirable concept but the reality far from practical lwt alone financially viable for most. I've a gala store attached to post office and the prices charged and even just for the basics are 3 times that of what you pay in Lidl, Aldi or Dunnes. I get local shops have to turn a profit but I'm sorry to say, there's a profit and there's absolute daylight robbery.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

That's a load of bollix. Never mind Smiths but a lot of small businesses will be doing a click and collect. If guards are preventing people picking items up as its outside 5km it could be the a differance between a business staying afloat or not. (Obvs driving Donegal to Waterford would be taken the biscuit)

It is a load of B@€€ox but medicines and Food are the only items listed, what is bizzare, is the fact click and collect stores can remain open for collection etc, DIY stores open but yet no one can go beyond 5km, I was wondering how a garda would react if I drive 19km to my nearest woodies to collect a tin of paint?

Also, the contradictions get worse, mobile phone shops are clearly only allowed to offer an emergency services and yet, carphone warehouse & 3 happily opened fully, its a joke, certain retail being very unfairly penalised and others taking the total piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

https://twitter.com/sylsmyth/status/1319295634097106948?s=21

Protests blocking Dublin port traffic.

Why are the guards not doing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

What exactly do you think they should be doing? Breaking out the battons and water cannons?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Frankie19

To be fair Dempo 1 I think the mobile stores should be open. They provide broadband and sim cards e.t.c also if I broke my phone today I would need to replace it ASAP for work.

Have heard JD sports are open as they sell PPE....now thats taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Frankie19 wrote: »
    To be fair Dempo 1 I think the mobile stores should be open. They provide broadband and sim cards e.t.c also if I broke my phone today I would need to replace it ASAP for work.

No its not. If that's what it takes to save their business from going under, then so be it. Fair play to them for thinking of it. Taking the piss is shutting them down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

SIM cards and broadband can be ordered online, the sim cards posted. Same with phones, repairs can be collect and return or ordered online.

Also, JD Sports aren't open and don't sell PPE..

Fair points I guess, my main point was why the caveat "emergency services only, and yet there fully open" just the wording entirely silly

People allowed protect, Gardai not beating the ****e out of them....Its a police state

User complains that Gardai arent beating the ****e out of em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

People allowed protect, Gardai not beating the ****e out of them....Its a police state

User complains that Gardai arent beating the ****e out of em

Are those the only two choices ? How about moving them out of the way & arresting them if necessary, without violence.

Advertisement