Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

I notice at checkpoints the guards are using their app which must display the registered address of the car along with tax insurance etc details - was travelling in my county today - they quickly waved me on but they were taking directions from a colleague in a nice warm car who had pointed his phone in my direction as I approached

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Breezin

I'm going to ask a stupid question. How do you show the checkpoints in Waze. I've just installed it. Thanks

Not stupid at all. It's not very intuitive... I find I have to fumble with it a bit each time I look for them. It seems checkpoints only show once you have put in your journey.

As has been said, only checkpoints that have been input by users will show.

Did you get their badge numbers?

No such thing

bubblypop wrote: »
    No such thing

I think it's fairly obvious what was meant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Out on my own exercising at night within 3km of my house even, no one around, Gardaí pull up to me in a van and tell me I need to go home, because they didn't consider what I was doing "essential".

Never mind that I wasn't actually breaking any laws or guidelines whatsoever and avoiding crowded times, apparently we're under curfew if they decide :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to put on like I'm oppressed or something, just pointing out some nonsense.

That’s unbelievable, where they stopping all the virtual Dublin marathon lads out over weekend Doing their 26.2 miles ? What an arsehole

That’s a call for Joe Duffy !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I think it's fairly obvious what was meant. :rolleyes:

As you can tell I don't encounter them a lot.. :o

Shoulder number would be the correct term?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Buffman

There's currently an 11km tailback on the M4 from the Garda checkpoint at Maynooth back to Lucan. No HGV lane so all trucks and buses caught up in the mess.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Buffman wrote: »
    There's currently an 11km tailback on the M4 from the Garda checkpoint at Maynooth back to Lucan. No HGV lane so all trucks and buses caught up in the mess.

Where is the logic in this nonsense ?
    Rush hour for the working commuters. This sort of stuff beggars belief.
    Yes, I am looking at you Drew.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

cadaliac wrote: »
    Where is the logic in this nonsense ?
    Rush hour for the working commuters. This sort of stuff beggars belief.
    Yes, I am looking at you Drew.

He has said that it is designed to inconvenience people. So much for policing by consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭SC024

These covid checkpoints on the motorways M1/4/N7 etc are these not a colossal waste of resources? like seriously they're stopping the odd car / van whilst the buses are let on through? where they are set up its not like they can turn traffic back. All they are doing is making anyone that is left working, making there lives more miserable than they already are.. What numpty came up with the idea of putting checkpoints on motorways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Covid subforum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

SC024 wrote: »
    These covid checkpoints on the motorways M1/4/N7 etc are these not a colossal waste of resources? like seriously they're stopping the odd car / van whilst the buses are let on through? where they are set up its not like they can turn traffic back. All they are doing is making anyone that is left working, making there lives more miserable than they already are.. What numpty came up with the idea of putting checkpoints on motorways?

Well they are not stopping the odd car on the N7, I drive through it regularly and they stop huge amounts of cars.
    However I am seeing nothing to suggest anyone is being fined

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

jrosen wrote: »
    Well they are not stopping the odd car on the N7, I drive through it regularly and they stop huge amounts of cars.

The N7 one in particular is just plain bizzare, there's a sign up telling HGVs and buses to stick to the RH lane - of which is separated from the other lane with cones.

I've seen countless, and I mean countless amounts of cars, jeeps, motorbikes, campers, vans and a myriad of other vehicles that aren't HGVs or Buses go into the right lane, and once they're in that lane the guards have no way of actually stopping them, or getting them back into the other lane, or a lay by etc further down the road.

Surely there's a better procedure than that?

McMurphy wrote: »
    The N7 one in particular is just plain bizzare, there's a sign up telling HGVs and buses to stick to the RH lane - of which is separated from the other lane with cones.

I've seen countless, and I mean countless amounts of cars, jeeps, motorbikes, campers, vans and a myriad of other vehicles that aren't HGVs or Buses go into the right lane, and once they're in that lane the guards have no way of actually stopping them, or getting them back into the other lane, or a lay by etc further down the road.

Surely there's a better procedure than that?

It goes to single lane, well anytime I’ve driven though it. The guard tells you to go on ahead or pull into the left lane where there are 3 other guards there and they ask. In my experience they seem to allow the KE registered cars to continue. Once passed the lanes open up.

It goes to single lane, well anytime I’ve driven though it. The guard tells you to go on ahead or pull into the left lane where there are 3 other guards there and they ask. In my experience they seem to allow the KE registered cars to continue. Once passed the lanes open up.

They have two lanes split from each other with cones, and another third one on the extreme left where they direct certain vehicles to pull in to be questioned etc.

My point is, that once a vehicle keeps right (the extreme right,) the guards have no way of them stopping a vehicyin that lane due to it being separated by the cones, and it then just merges with the other lanes post checkpoint.

If you're doing something you shouldn't be, and stick to the right lane, the chances of being apprehended and stopped are practically nill from what I can see.

They have two lanes split from each other with cones, and another third one on the extreme left where they direct certain vehicles to pull in to be questioned etc.

My point is, that once a vehicle keeps right (the extreme right,) the guards have no way of them stopping a vehicyin that lane due to it being separated by the cones, and it then just merges with the other lanes post checkpoint.

If you're doing something you shouldn't be, and stick to the right lane, the chances of being apprehended and stopped are practically nill from what I can see.

Yes your right, I was visualizing it incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Was a death trap in the rain this morning on the N7.

Trucks braking swerving at the last minute.

Cars realising last minute there is cones and the lane closes off.

Lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Yeah it’s definitely two lanes. I have to admit I always stay in the right lane. Maybe I’m taking the piss a bit but there is nothing that says cars can’t drive in that lane, just that Buses etc should. The way I see it is the vast vast majority of people are coming home from work (as am I). They have had enough of their time wasted by a pointless checkpoint so I continue to stay right and am yet to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

Perhaps they are using ANPR and stop cars without tax, insurance, NCT or some other dodgy cars. Or they are simply there to discourage people from travelling outside the county but what they have not realised is that half of Dublin lives outside the county.

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s definitely two lanes. I have to admit I always stay in the right lane. Maybe I’m taking the piss a bit but there is nothing that says cars can’t drive in that lane, just that Buses etc should. The way I see it is the vast vast majority of people are coming home from work (as am I). They have had enough of their time wasted by a pointless checkpoint so I continue to stay right and am yet to be stopped.

I have no issues with checkpoints that serve some kind of purpose, but that one in particular is absolutely and completely pointless.

Apart from the fact the N7 has two alternative roads that run parallel to it on that particular section that anyone wanting to avoid the checkpoint can use (be it whether they're at something they shouldn't be, or just because it's actually quicker in peak times) as already mentioned, once you're in the right hand lane you're basically beyond the reach of the gards at the checkpoint anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Yeah completely agree. I’d be ok with them being there on a Saturday or during the day but where do they think people are going at 7.30 in the morning or 5 in the evening. And then as you say people can turn off at the exit before it and come back on after the checkpoint if they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

They had a lad pulled in at the Rathcoole checkpoint around 8pm tonight, he was driving a very distinguishable small truck, he was either drunk, off his head, or both. They also had a Garda Hilux parked a few miles south of the checkpoint, probably to stop any runners.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭SC024

in the big scheme of things they are only stopping a fraction. low single digit percentages I would imagine most times i drive either the m4 or 7 there's between 4 - 7 gaurds standing having a chat whilst 1 or 2 questions people through the window depending on how many cars are pulled in whilst there's 1 gaurd waving the "wand" for want of a better word. colossal waste of resources whilst we're borrowing 20 - 23 billion euros this year alot of which can't be helped but surely this wild goose chase can be. surely there must be something more productive to use all these gaurds for? contact tracing perhaps?

SC024 wrote: »
    surely there must be something more productive to use all these gaurds for? contact tracing perhaps?

Contract tracing?
    How about they just get left to do some actual police work?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Contract tracing?
    How about they just get left to do some actual police work?

been a long time since that was allowed

As you can tell I don't encounter them a lot.. :o

Shoulder number would be the correct term?

Shoulder number or epaulette number. Everyone will know what's meant by badge number, though, as it's a fairly universally used term.

This is my experience too but they were letting non KE Reg cars through also - only stopping a few and that was at a time of light traffic -I do pity the regular commuters on the motorways - it’s not like Dublin is open for business or anything so very few people would travel in or out unless they had to - it’s all optics and it’s creating a lot of resentment- more local checkpoints, randomised would support Level 5 a lot more than this nonsense- I think we need to be more critical of how the Gardai are doing their job in this instance regardless of how professional they can be in other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    Perhaps they are using ANPR and stop cars without tax, insurance, NCT or some other dodgy cars. Or they are simply there to discourage people from travelling outside the county but what they have not realised is that half of Dublin lives outside the county.

Not sure if it's ANPR, their twitter feed full of learner drivers being caught and cars impounded, I don't think ANPR picks up licensing issues and their Mobility app can't check license type, only disqualification which seems extraordinary, that said no licence on you result in car being taken.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,804 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's ANPR, their twitter feed full of learner drivers being caught and cars impounded, I don't think ANPR picks up licensing issues and their Mobility app can't check license type, only disqualification which seems extraordinary, that said no licence on you result in car being taken.

Not having your licence on you will not result in your car being seized.

If they can see that you have a licence you'll be given 10 days to produce it at a station.

Advertisement