Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Witcher wrote: »
    Not having your licence on you will not result in your car being seized.

If they can see that you have a licence you'll be given 10 days to produce it at a station.

So, what happens if say you have a ligitimate European license, they can't access that info? I understood if you didn't have license on you, penalty points automatic and possible car being impounded?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dempo1 wrote: »
    So, what happens if say you have a ligitimate European license, they can't access that info? I understood if you didn't have license on you, penalty points automatic and possible car being impounded?

Foreign licences are a different kettle of fish

In the case of Irish licences nobody will be getting a car seized for not having it on them, whether or not the person has licence can be checked in 10 seconds at the roadside and they'll be given 10 days to produce it if the Garda really wants to have it proven.

Witcher wrote: »
    Foreign licences are a different kettle of fish

In the case of Irish licences nobody will be getting a car seized for not having it on them, whether or not the person has licence can be checked in 10 seconds at the roadside and they'll be given 10 days to produce it if the Garda really wants to have it proven.

I agree re Irish licensing but I have a European license (member state), I've duel citizenship and it occurred to me if I forgot my licence, Gardai have absolutely no way to verify if I had a license, I guess the same applies to UK license, I know that's a brexit issue at the moment. I guess my question is, what then? Just produce it within 10 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

that said no licence on you result in car being taken.

I don't think that's the case that your car can be taken. 41 RTA

If there was a question that you might not be who you say you are you could be arrested. The way around that is to have ID on you or better again your foreign licence.

Nexytus wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case that your car can be taken. 41 RTA

If there was a question that you might not be who you say you are you could be arrested. The way around that is to have ID on you or better again your foreign licence.

Interesting, was just curious, I do carry my (EUROPEAN) license at all times, but in essence based on the act, its very, very ambiguous. My initial curiosity was the amount of Learner Driviers being caught and the possible use of ANPR, which does not pick up learner or novive permit information, so basically there's alot more than Covid-19 checks going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Interesting, was just curious, I do carry my (EUROPEAN) license at all times, but in essence based on the act, its very, very ambiguous. My initial curiosity was the amount of Learner Driviers being caught and the possible use of ANPR, which does not pick up learner or novive permit information, so basically there's alot more than Covid-19 checks going on.

The danger is more in you being taken. Not that your car will be taken.

However you will only be taken if there is a question about your identity. But if your car is registered in your name and address and if you have some other ID on you then that will avoid that. And the simplest thing of all is carry your licence in your wallet or glove compartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

I need to drive from Dublin to Greenogue Business Park in Rathcoole this evening, arriving there around 7pm. I gather that there is a checkpoint on the N7 near there, as part of Operation Fanacht.

Does anyone know where exactly that checkpoint is, relative to the Rathcoole exit? If it's past the exit, is the tailback likely to reach back beyond the exit on a Friday evening?

Wondering if I should travel over the backroads to avoid the delay.

(My trip is essential, I'm not worried about being turned back; only about being delayed.)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I need to drive from Dublin to Greenogue Business Park in Rathcoole this evening, arriving there around 7pm. I gather that there is a checkpoint on the N7 near there, as part of Operation Fanacht.

Does anyone know where exactly that checkpoint is, relative to the Rathcoole exit? If it's past the exit, is the tailback likely to reach back beyond the exit on a Friday evening?

Wondering if I should travel over the backroads to avoid the delay.

(My trip is essential, I'm not worried about being turned back; only about being delayed.)

Download Waze and map the route.

It will show the guards on your route if a user has logged it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Can we get these ridiculous and time wasting checkpoints off the road. The check point on the N7 is the biggest load of boll*x ever.
    Creating unnecessary tail backs for nothing.

Wasting genuine people’s time as the head home from work.

It’s a sham.

• Advertisement

Can we get these ridiculous and time wasting checkpoints off the road. The check point on the N7 is the biggest load of boll*x ever.
    Creating unnecessary tail backs for nothing.

Wasting genuine people’s time as the head home from work.

It’s a sham.

I'd thought they had reduced the amount of checkpoints but clearly not the high profile N7 one which only seems to serve as a PR exercise. That said and according to the bizzare Garda Traffic Twitter account, they are having a ball seizing cars, I guess it goes someway towards paying the growing OT bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'd thought they had reduced the amount of checkpoints but clearly not the high profile N7 one which only seems to serve as a PR exercise. That said and according to the bizzare Garda Traffic Twitter account, they are having a ball seizing cars, I guess it goes someway towards paying the growing OT bill.

Permanent one on the N3 aswell.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

yes, dose, travelled that road recently - checkpoint with cops waving people on, over and over.
    What a waste of MY money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

Yeah i'll take the European model of having police who work their way up the career ladder over the sheriff model in the US where its a public popularity vote every few years.
    He has to pander to the idiots to make sure he still has a job in 2 years time

Unfortunately no. Not real police.
    Just a guy voted into position by local people. Who then employs his friends & family as policemen.
    I would prefer an actual properly trained police force!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oglaigh84 wrote: »
    Yeah i'll take the European model of having police who work their way up the career ladder over the sheriff model in the US where its a public popularity vote every few years.
    He has to pander to the idiots to make sure he still has a job in 2 years time

The States haven't really moved on from the Old West way of doing things.

The States haven't really moved on from the Old West way of doing things.

To be fair, the Sheriffs office model is certainly backwards but it's worth poin out metropolitan, City and State police forces don't operate on a wink and nod basis, Commissioners and Chief police officers appointed by Boards and or City Mayor's and Generally those appointees have either risen through the ranks or have led forces elsewhere. Rank and file appointments similar to tge European model.

Sheriff departments generally deal with court services, prisons, court services and manage rural locations and small towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Dempo1 wrote:

Apart for work or food shopping I've abided by the 5km limit. With a young baby and the missus home alone with her it hasn't been easy but it needs to be done. I'm in full support of all the measures needed. The checkpoint on the N7 though is just ridiculous. It almost seems malicious at this stage. I drive it most days and get delayed most days. I used to stop at it but i just stick to the outside lane now so they can't pull me in. A waste of everybodys time and it's slowly eroding my goodwill towards the guards.

Cazale wrote: »
    Apart for work or food shopping I've abided by the 5km limit. With a young baby and the missus home alone with her it hasn't been easy but it needs to be done. I'm in full support of all the measures needed. The checkpoint on the N7 though is just ridiculous. It almost seems malicious at this stage. I drive it most days and get delayed most days. I used to stop at it but i just stick to the outside lane now so they can't pull me in. A waste of everybodys time and it's slowly eroding my goodwill towards the guards.

I've certainly noticed a drop if not ending of checkpoints around rural towns. I live in the Midlands and during the last major lockdown and indeed the absurd Midlands one (I say absurd only because despite media hype, it never actually happened in any meaningful way) , there was full time checkpoints on the outskirts of towns. I've not seen a single one in weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

In the South, there is a significant increase of traffic on the roads. The towns and cities are awash with people and nobody seems to care about any checkpoints - they will be just waved through. This is a popular train of thought now where nobody cares about a checkpoint as they will just say anything they want to a Guard and they will get through, if they get stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

cadaliac wrote: »
    In the South, there is a significant increase of traffic on the roads. The towns and cities are awash with people and nobody seems to care about any checkpoints - they will be just waved through. This is a popular train of thought now where nobody cares about a checkpoint as they will just say anything they want to a Guard and they will get through, if they get stopped.

There's so many reasons and excuses valid to be let through it's hardly worth stopping people at all. I go through at least 2 every day and at this stage over 50% of the time they're either sitting the the squad car(always if its raining) or just waving people through.
    Irish solution to an Irish problem. Announce the highest level of restrictions but leave half the country open and expect the Guards to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

Road travel is way down on the list of causes of the spread of the virus. So long as other measures are in place, there is no reason to prioritise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Why the hell is the checkpoint back on the Naas road.

Complete chaos this evening and two weeks before Christmas traffic is much heavier.

This sh1te achieves absolutely nothing only holding up and frustrating genuine working people trying to get home from work.

This crap needs to be stopped immediately.

Complete chaos this evening and two weeks before Christmas traffic is much heavier.

This sh1te achieves absolutely nothing only holding up and frustrating genuine working people trying to get home from work.

I'd thought it had gone all quite here :) no doubt it's part of the Christmas Road safety campaign, one massive checkpoint gives lots of PR, this will really encourage Christmas shopping.

I was stuck in it. When I got to the actual checkpoint there were 3 cars pulled in, a load of Gardai and most of them having a chat in the rain. All that traffic and delay and for what?

There was one around Stephens Green during the day when we were at Level 5. Where did they think poeple were going at 3pm in town when shops and restaurants were closed? For a drive around just for the craic?

Same as on the N7 earlier. "I'll head off from Dublin to Cork at 5pm on a wet Wednesday evening just for a spin". Bonkers.

I don't blame the Guards though. They are just men and women doing what they are told to do.

I was stuck in it. When I got to the actual checkpoint there were 3 cars pulled in, a load of Gardai and most of them having a chat in the rain. All that traffic and delay and for what?

There was one around Stephens Green during the day when we were at Level 5. Where did they think poeple were going at 3pm in town when shops and restaurants were closed? For a drive around just for the craic?

Same as on the N7 earlier. "I'll head off from Dublin to Cork at 5pm on a wet Wednesday evening just for a spin". Bonkers.

I don't blame the Guards though. They are just men and women doing what they are told to do.

I'd agree generally but on the final point, Gardai were not directed to have a checkpoint on tbe N7 today as part of any Covid-19 activities, some genius in HQ thought, hey, there'll be loads out shopping (supporting the economy), lots too at, going too or coming from work (It's an economic thing), let's cause a little havoc as part of our Christmas Roads policing stint.

I'd agree generally but on the final point, Gardai were not directed to have a checkpoint on tbe N7 today as part of any Covid-19 activities, some genius in HQ thought, hey, there'll be loads out shopping (supporting the economy), lots too at, going too or coming from work (It's an economic thing), let's cause a little havoc as part of our Christmas Roads policing stint.

Ah, thanks commissioner!

bubblypop wrote: »
    Ah, thanks commissioner!

Assistant ( Drew Harris"s buddy from the PSNI)

• Advertisement

But the guards manning the checkpoint probably have no choice but to be there. I can't imagine its much craic for them standing around.
    What I'm annoyed with is the system, the SYSTEM MANNN!!!!!!!

*shakes fist*

:p

Advertisement