Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

But the guards manning the checkpoint probably have no choice but to be there. I can't imagine its much craic for them standing around.
    What I'm annoyed with is the system, the SYSTEM MANNN!!!!!!!

*shakes fist*

:p

:)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Are the Gardai actually doing any alcohol or drug testing ATM

I thought that was gone brcause of covid

Henryq. wrote: »
    Are the Gardai actually doing any alcohol or drug testing ATM

I thought that was gone brcause of covid

They absolutely will be and with Gusto

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/press-releases/2020/december/an-garda-sochna-and-rsa-launch-christmas-and-new-year-road-safety-appeal-2020.html

Why the hell is the checkpoint back on the Naas road.

Complete chaos this evening and two weeks before Christmas traffic is much heavier.

This sh1te achieves absolutely nothing only holding up and frustrating genuine working people trying to get home from work.

This crap needs to be stopped immediately.

Waste of time where there are set up. They cant turn anyone around. Only there to annoy people with traffic delays. Better off out catching real criminals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Not sure where to ask this but , if I was to jump on a bus from cork to mayo would I be stopped ? I've finished work and going home for Christmas .

Not sure where to ask this but , if I was to jump on a bus from cork to mayo would I be stopped ? I've finished work and going home for Christmas .

It's a question alot of people will be asking before the 18th December. Essentially no one is advised to travel outside their current county until the 18th December, whilst I can't advise you what to do, it's your personal decision but technically your not supposed to travel. Will you be stopped? Highly unlikely but God forbid there's a Covid-19 episode, you'll be required to explain your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

But the guards manning the checkpoint probably have no choice but to be there. I can't imagine its much craic for them standing around.
    What I'm annoyed with is the system, the SYSTEM MANNN!!!!!!!

*shakes fist*

:p

a servile attitude.
    but shure money!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's a question alot of people will be asking before the 18th December. Essentially no one is advised to travel outside their current county until the 18th December, whilst I can't advise you what to do, it's your personal decision but technically your not supposed to travel. Will you be stopped? Highly unlikely but God forbid there's a Covid-19 episode, you'll be required to explain your journey.

Required by who, no one can demand a reason from you

Required by who, no one can demand a reason from you

Silly comment, I'm just pointing out (correctly) that if there was a covid incident, track and trace will be obligated to investigate, journey, close contacts etc, whether the OP obliges is entirely a matter for them. I've absolutely no opinion on the rights or wrongs of public health guidelines, just answering a ligitimate question by the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No you won't be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does anyone know if the 5km limit currently applies to exercising?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Does anyone know if the 5km limit currently applies to exercising?

There is no 5km limit at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Most Gardai haven’t a clue tbh

I went out to a pub over Xmas and the table beside us was full of Gardai. No social distancing, no wearing of masks and getting thick when asked to leave as their time limit had passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The guards have been very disappointing throughout pandemic. From their failure early on to don masks when appropriate to their refusal to enforce the law on pubs repeatedly breaking restrictions. They could have done alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Discodog wrote: »

Seems Vadimas is quite the expert on traffic legislation but based on the one sided argument printed in the article, I suspect the Gardai had ample justification to sieze the car. The 4 month extension on NCT is not black and white and at the very least the letter of deferral should be in the car. The insurance tall tail is a nonsense, Vadimas seems to have admitted at the end of the article that he decided to check with the insurance company and they just decided to transfer insurance, absolute nonsense. No mention of whether the wife insured at all.

I personally detest cars being siezed from learner drivers but have no time for this nonsense. I suspect we'll hear no more about it but Vadimas's wife will certainly be hearing more about it, namely a trip to her local district court.

The essential worker crocodile tears is just vomit enducing, frankly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Seems Vadimas is quite the expert on traffic legislation but based on the one sided argument printed in the article, I suspect the Gardai had ample justification to sieze the car. The 4 month extension on NCT is not black and white and at the very least the letter of deferral should be in the car. The insurance tall tail is a nonsense, Vadimas seems to have admitted at the end of the article that he decided to check with the insurance company and they just decided to transfer insurance, absolute nonsense. No mention of whether the wife insured at all.

I personally detest cars being siezed from learner drivers but have no time for this nonsense. I suspect we'll hear no more about it but Vadimas's wife will certainly be hearing more about it, namely a trip to her local district court.

The essential worker crocodile tears is just vomit enducing, frankly

The argument is always one sided - the Gardai don't comment. The driver proved that they were insured & it appears the Guard accepted this. Surely, if the NCT situation is not black & white, a Guard should use their discretion & allow the driver to prove the situation when then produce their details within 10 days.

Your inconsistency is remarkable. You agree with seizing a car when there is doubt regarding documentation but "detest" unqualified drivers being taken off the road.

Discodog wrote: »
    The argument is always one sided - the Gardai don't comment. The driver proved that they were insured & it appears the Guard accepted this. Surely, if the NCT situation is not black & white, a Guard should use their discretion & allow the driver to prove the situation when then produce their details within 10 days.

Your inconsistency is remarkable. You agree with seizing a car when there is doubt regarding documentation but "detest" unqualified drivers being taken off the road.

Your clearly missing the point and the article. The Gardai did comment, statement issued promptly and pretty much confirmed the justifiable reasons for seizure. The driver proved nothing, I know of no insurance company that operates in the way being suggested and indeed not a mention if the wife (Driver) , who was driving was either insured or covered.

The NCT argument a complete nonsense from start to finish. Notwithstanding delays (I was deffered, got a letter and one phone call, I had a test within a week), the car wasn't even owned by the driver, it was borrowed, I'm also curious to know how they actually got the car back from pound as only the owner along with valid documents are required to get a release form from Gardai.

Most offensive was the essential worker nonsense, does the lady bring her daughter to work? and she admitted to taking a "short spin" then claimed a long walk home? God bless her.

To the point that probably agitates you most, I do have an unpopular opinion on seizing cars from learners. I live very rural and see first hand the affects it's having which includes loss of jobs. I've absolutely no issue with the law in principle but poorly thought out. Like it or not, learners continue to get and pay for insurance, pay car tax and NCT fee's and yet stopped from using vehicles because of the outrageous stste of our testing systems. Simple solution would have been to allow learners travel at defined times, namely working hours etc, also only permit learners with proven lessons taken, time on the road etc, might seem mad but unless the RSA get a grip, the situation will never be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Garda may aswell not exist, they are absolutely useless and bring little or no value to any situation in Ireland (never mind a pandemic.)

They need to stick to speed guns and penalty points.

Bums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

theballz wrote: »
    Garda may aswell not exist, they are absolutely useless and bring little or no value to any situation in Ireland (never mind a pandemic.)

Bums.

I've found them quite pleasant to deal with anytime I've encountered them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

To the point that probably agitates you most, I do have an unpopular opinion on seizing cars from learners. I live very rural and see first hand the affects it's having which includes loss of jobs. I've absolutely no issue with the law in principle but poorly thought out. Like it or not, learners continue to get and pay for insurance, pay car tax and NCT fee's and yet stopped from using vehicles because of the outrageous stste of our testing systems. Simple solution would have been to allow learners travel at defined times, namely working hours etc, also only permit learners with proven lessons taken, time on the road etc, might seem mad but unless the RSA get a grip, the situation will never be resolved.

Better simple solutions would involved;

- Not allowing planning permission to build mini-mansions up every bohreen so that we end up with car-bound society where no-one can do anything without driving a car

- People passing their test before committing to work that requires them to drive

- Getting an eBike, which can do decent distances

Unsupervised learners should NOT be on the road.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

AndrewJRenko and others, can we please stay on the topic of COVID-19 within this forum, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,804 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

theballz wrote: »

Bums.

The entire prison population would obviously agree with you 😝😝

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Are the pointless checkpoints we are paying them overtime for back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

froog wrote: »
    Are the pointless checkpoints we are paying them overtime for back?

Nothing showing on waze this morning. So doesn't look like they are back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

jhegarty wrote: »
    Nothing showing on waze this morning. So doesn't look like they are back yet.

Sure all they're going to get is car after car telling them they're going home after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Aurelian

Tork wrote: »
    Sure all they're going to get is car after car telling them they're going home after Christmas.

I wonder if they will hold off on checkpoints until after the 31st?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Since early march I have met guards in different parts of the country and found them pleasant to deal with. I only had one poor encounter (if I'd call it that). I was transporting live stock and there was 3 jeeps and trailers loaded in convoy heading for our destination. I was stopped at the far side of Youghal. I was in the first jeep and she asked me where I was going, where I came from and was it essential. Answered the questions, she looked at the windscreen and everything was good. She then started lecturing me about travelling and COVID and how she could seize the jeep ( I don't know how). After 5 minutes and a que of traffic a higher ranking guard came over and told us to go on our way and from looking in the mirror she must have got an ear full from her superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Has anyone seen a checkpoint on the borders at all??

Advertisement