Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

kippy wrote: »
    If a Garda asks me to leave an area, I am leaving that area.
    I don't see why you wouldn't....it won't end well....nor should it.

When I was 17,
    A guarda stopped me when I just coming outside the other end of a field,
    He asked me where I lived, I told him and then he told me to leave the area and if he catchs me here again he will find a reason to arrest me.

Funny thing is, I think he was a guarda that was newly assigned to the district because the area he told me to leave was the area I lived in :pac:

On that note if a guard tells me to leave an area, I would generally comply with it unless I have a good reason to be hanging around in said area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Killinator wrote: »
    So the Garda in question has perfectly sound justification in this matter whether you like the reasoning or not, even if the reasoning you are coming up with is completely manufactured in your own head

I've no issue with the reasoning. It's that it is clearly.not generally applied and not the reason the Garda wanted this man to leave the area.

Again. If Gardai policy is not to prosecute people unless they are outside the 5k limit then an individual Garda should not use the legislation against someone because they can't find another reason to move them on.

I'm curious. Let's say there was no pandemic and you are standing on a street waiting for a friend and a Garda tells you to move on. Do you think that is good policing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

LLMMLL wrote: »

I'm curious. Let's say there was no pandemic and you are standing on a street waiting for a friend and a Garda tells you to move on. Do you think that is good policing?

That actually happened me one night as i waited for a taxi home in town alone a long time ago, Garda told me to move on for no apparent reason even when i asked why...

Ended up in the cell till 5am. Adult caution the next day with the super.

When i explained what happened lets just say we both just agreed what went on towards me was wrong, shouldn't of happened and leave it at that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

If they're doing nothing wrong then no it isn't good policing but I don't see what it has to do with this completely different scenario.

If they're doing nothing wrong then no it isn't good policing but I don't see what it has to do with this completely different scenario.

Because a law isn't about right or wrong. Enforcement can be seen as part of the law.

For example, though we had blasphemy legislation it was not enforced. Was someone who blasphemed "doing something wrong"?

If the gardai do not enforce this law in general (and by that I mean every time they have a reasonable chance to do so) then you have to question at least two things. Was the person prosecuted doing anything wrong? What was the actual motivation for attempting to have the person move on?

To bring it back to my previous post. Say during covid times the same situation arises. You are waiting for a friend on a street. One of the streets residents phones the police and ask them to move you on. Do you think it's good policing for the Garda who was called to use covid legislation to achieve this goal given that in non-covod times he would have no grounds to ask you to leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Because a law isn't about right or wrong. Enforcement can be seen as part of the law.

For example, though we had blasphemy legislation it was not enforced. Was someone who blasphemed "doing something wrong"?

If the gardai do not enforce this law in general (and by that I mean every time they have a reasonable chance to do so) then you have to question at least two things. Was the person prosecuted doing anything wrong? What was the actual motivation for attempting to have the person move on?

Until you have evidence of otherwise the person is being prosecuted for a breach of Covid regulations having refused to comply when given an opportunity like his pal. The motivation for moving him on likewise unless you can prove otherwise is again because he was breaching regulations.
    Had he moved on as demanded under the regulations he wouldn't be in court but he decided to be johnny big boll**ks instead and landed himself in it.

Until you have evidence of otherwise the person is being prosecuted for a breach of Covid regulations having refused to comply when given an opportunity like his pal. The motivation for moving him on likewise unless you can prove otherwise is again because he was breaching regulations.
    Had he moved on as demanded under the regulations he wouldn't be in court but he decided to be johnny big boll**ks instead and landed himself in it.

Whether he's landed himself in it remains to be seen. The judge asking was he outside 5k seems indicitave to me that the judge is surprised to see someone brought in front of him under this legislation when within 5km. Will be very interesting to see if it actually results in a conviction. I hope not.

Again. If Gardai policy is not to prosecute people unless they are outside the 5k limit

That is not garda policy. Enforcement is a last resort, but there is enforcement.
    For all laws.

Whether he's landed himself in it remains to be seen. The judge asking was he outside 5k seems indicitave to me that the judge is surprised to see someone brought in front of him under this legislation when within 5km. Will be very interesting to see if it actually results in a conviction. I hope not.

It doesn't matter if the judge is surprised.
    Also, from reading the link it appeared to me that the judge wasn't overly familiar with the legislation, because he didn't seem to understand the 5 km limit. That won't be the case the next day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A handful of checkpoints, almost always going to or from work. Same predictable spots as well.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    That is not garda policy. Enforcement is a last resort, but there is enforcement.
    For all laws.

If all laws are enforced when was blasphemy last enforced?

If all laws are enforced when was blasphemy last enforced?

Just because a law is very rarely enforced does not mean it is never enforced.
    Blasphemy is one of many laws that may not have been enforced for sometime.

Just because a law is very rarely enforced does not mean it is never enforced.
    Blasphemy is one of many laws that may not have been enforced for sometime.

Lets say it's 2017 so the blasphemy law still existed. It hasn't been enforced since the 1800s. A prosecution is brought in 2017.

Would you think "well blasphemy is illegal so nothing to see here" or would you think "um this hasn't been enforced in over a century. Something's up here".

Lets say it's 2017 so the blasphemy law still existed. It hasn't been enforced since the 1800s. A prosecution is brought in 2017.

Would you think "well blasphemy is illegal so nothing to see here" or would you think "um this hasn't been enforced in over a century. Something's up here".

This really has nothing to do with brand new covid legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Suppose you're travelling (outside of your own locality) on your way to see someone you're in a support bubble, are you obliged to give the name and address of the person you're travelling to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Has anyone else observed more stringent checkpoints today?

My route back from the supermarket takes me on a road that leads onto the motorway. Today there was a checkpoint there - which wasn't unusual. However traffic was very slow approaching it - which was unusual.

When I eventually got up to it, I was able to drive through along with a few cars in front of me. This was because the guard had taken a car aside into a lane, and it seemed like they were investigating the car.

It makes sense to be a bit more stringent now with the numbers as high as they are - and where I am is particularly bad. It also makes sense to be a bit more stringent on a road toward a motorway on a Friday afternoon.

It's possible they were pulled for something unrelated - though I went through the same checkpoint on the way out and the guard just asked me where I was from. Also my advance toward the checkpoint was incremental - so they were taking more time with everyone they stopped -it wasn't just one person that caused the delay.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threadbanned

An admin bans himself ?? :eek: :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    Threadbanned
    Apologies - threadbans on the brain - meant to say Threads merged!:o

Could happen to a Bishop :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Or a Beast

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Beasty wrote: »
    Apologies - threadbans on the brain - meant to say Threads merged!:o

Violating threadbans. Will have to report this post

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Probably mentioned here 100 times but near me there are huge gatherings of youths hanging around the shops causing havoc, between none of them wearing masks shoplifting (Security guard told me) and littering the place nothing gets done.

Last night they tied a load of string around the posts in a carpark near me and I had to get out of my car to tare it down as none of the cars could get out they just looked at me doing it and laughed - I rang the Guards and they said there's nothing they can do and they advised me they had no cars to send up anyway!!

Surely they can disperse these gangs of youths with current laws ? I would not say anything to these youths as I would be afraid they would look for my car parked outside my house and smash it up.

No money in going after the main violators - young or old... Same as it ever was, regardless of the validity, or unfairness of any laws....

Reckon that Black guy that got caught on camera hurling projectiles at the Gardaí Transit van didn't get his collar felt neither.. Soft targets is the order I reckon, but that's just me.. Keep that coin coming in, and the Law abiding citizenry in fear of their Constitutional right to leave their house..

But let the ferals run amok - it's sickening :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

oneilla wrote: »
    Suppose you're travelling (outside of your own locality) on your way to see someone you're in a support bubble, are you obliged to give the name and address of the person you're travelling to see?

Until Gardai are investigating a criminal offence, you can refuse answering any questions: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/arrests/questioning_and_surveillance.html

Thats me wrote: »
    Until Gardai are investigating a criminal offence, you can refuse answering any questions: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/arrests/questioning_and_surveillance.html

Gardai are given powers to ask your name and address under current covid restrictions. If they believe you are committing an offence under current restrictions, they can direct you to comply.
    If you don't do either of the above you can be arrested.
    If advise you read up the legislation and not just citizens advise

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Gardai are given powers to ask your name and address under current covid restrictions. If they believe you are committing an offence under current restrictions, they can direct you to comply.
    If you don't do either of the above you can be arrested.
    If advise you read up the legislation and not just citizens advise

But you are not obliged to answer question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Obviously the Gardai can’t force you to talk.

It won’t stop you getting arrested, though.

Does it really matter though what the Law says... Chances are; rightly or wrongly you're getting arrested for some made up spurious reason, and if you don't want a conviction, or a €250 or so fine, just pay a barrister that much, or more.

Gotta keep that gravy train rolling :rolleyes: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Does it really matter though what the Law says... Chances are; rightly or wrongly you're getting arrested for some made up spurious reason, and if you don't want a conviction, or a €250 or so fine, just pay a barrister that much, or more.

Gotta keep that gravy train rolling :rolleyes: :mad:

If you are stupid enough or "ballsy" anough not to act on the direction of the Garda - you are gonna get very littly sympathy from the general populace.

Advertisement