Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

why the comments about what he was wearing?, unless they have a pic of him in a t-shirt , boxers and flip flops colour me skeptical

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Allinall wrote: »
    Obviously the Gardai can’t force you to talk.

It won’t stop you getting arrested, though.

The question was: "are you obliged to give the name and address of the person you're travelling to see?"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thats me wrote: »
    But you are not obliged to answer question.
    Why would someone who is behaving lawfully not answer?
    If you don't answer then It would be assumed that you're getting stroppy with the garda and, deservedly, will be dealt with accordingly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

silverharp wrote: »
    why the comments about what he was wearing?, unless they have a pic of him in a t-shirt , boxers and flip flops colour me skeptical
    Because with the current cold weather and more forecasted, he would soon require mountain rescue to save his stupid ass!

• Advertisement

Because with the current cold weather and more forecasted, he would soon require mountain rescue to save his stupid ass!

Im not saying there arent idiots out there but seems convenient that our boi couldnt get anything right.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Why would someone who is behaving lawfully not answer?

Why not, there could be many reasons. Also, if you try to put the phrase "Why would someone who is behaving lawfully not answer gardai question?" into google search you will find some serious reasons.

If you don't answer then It would be assumed that you're getting stroppy with the garda and, deservedly, will be dealt with accordingly.

Assumptions does not work. Garda should have reasonable grounds for suspecting that you committed an offence to have you arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Im not saying there arent idiots out there but seems convenient that our boi couldnt get anything right.

There's something about a dusting of snow in this country that turns grown adults into idiots.
    Arra shur tis only a bit of a hill, my Super Dry jacket and Levi's will be grand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Must some kitty in the bank for all these checkpoints
    Youd wonder how sustainable it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

The question was: "are you obliged to give the name and address of the person you're travelling to see?"

Where was that asked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Allinall wrote: »
    Where was that asked?

I asked it here...
    oneilla wrote: »
    Suppose you're travelling (outside of your own locality) on your way to see someone you're in a support bubble, are you obliged to give the name and address of the person you're travelling to see?

I am aware that you've to give your own details to a Garda. My question is do you have to give details of the person you're on your way to visit?

I'd assume there's common sense if you say you're dropping something off to your parent or grandparent etc, but in a case of someone in a support bubble with a friend/boyfriend/whatever, can they demand the name and address of your bubble?

They can't demand , they may ask who they are, like if I say I'm going to see my mother, for example, they may ask where.
    But they don't demand it, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Maybe they can't demand it, but to rephrase the question, are they asking for the namees and addresses of people one is visiting?

oneilla wrote: »
    Maybe they can't demand it, but to rephrase the question, are they asking for the namees and addresses of people one is visiting?

I haven't been asked, not heard of anyone being asked, but there's nothing to stop them asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gzckrg

Do you know if gardai can stop house parties now? I have very irresponsible neighbors who throw parties every other week. I keep calling gardai. Everytime, gardai arrives, they turn off the music a bit and don't open the door. then gardai leaves. They continue their party...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

gzckrg wrote: »
    Do you know if gardai can stop house parties now? I have very irresponsible neighbors who throw parties every other week. I keep calling gardai. Everytime, gardai arrives, they turn off the music a bit and don't open the door. then gardai leaves. They continue their party...

Just the fact that you actually get the Gards to show up is an achievement... House parties have been going on all over Dublin since this whole cycle of Lockdowns begun, and in many areas in Dublin you can call the Gards as much as you want but the chances of them showing up.... little to no chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But you are not obliged to answer question.

It is against the current, legally binding, temporary measures to leave your place of residence for a non essential reason without a reasonable excuse. If you leave for the purposes of exercise, then you are limited to a 5km radius of your place of residence.

If you do not give a reasonable excuse, then I would imagine that the Guard is likely to form the opinion that you do not have one and can issue you a fine. Which you can appeal later of course or go to court. You can even do a Gemma O'Doherty and claim some UN convention on human rights if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 seaniewicklow

Where do we report companies breaking rules... To the local Garda or to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

some gardai are the worst self righteous cnuts.
    seems to be the younger ones too mid 20s.

I have been told
    "straight home now after your shopping" on my way to supermarket.

friend was told this weekend
    "go home and do what the government has asked"
    despite being on his way home and being about 1km from his house.

then the raided the shebeen out swords way.
    armed response unit . ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Where do we report companies breaking rules... To the local Garda or to who?

Health and safety authority?

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »

I have been told
    "straight home now after your shopping" on my way to supermarket.

friend was told this weekend
    "go home and do what the government has asked"
    despite being on his way home and being about 1km from his house.

then the raided the shebeen out swords way.
    armed response unit . ffs

Im feeling under policed , Id like to see them try that crack with the "straight home" where I am :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can anyone explain the 5km rule.

Is it as the crow flies or 5km of travel by the roads?

I was out for a run yesterday with 5km (4.5 km distance 5.9km road distance) of my house. I was stopped running by a member of An Garda Siochanna. I was asked my address and was told I was too far from home.

I protested and he called over a colleague who said to run on and take this as a warning and stay inside my 5km in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can anyone explain the 5km rule.

Is it as the crow flies or 5km of travel by the roads?

I was out for a run yesterday with 5km (4.5 km distance 5.9km road distance) of my house. I was stopped running by a member of An Garda Siochanna. I was asked my address and was told I was too far from home.

I protested and he called over a colleague who said to run on and take this as a warning and stay inside my 5km in future.
    Some of them are complete sticklers but I've only met one who felt I needed a lecture about my attitude.
    As for your run there is little point arguing or getting annoyed and use this!
    https://2kmfromhome.com/

is_that_so wrote: »
    Some of them are complete sticklers but I've only met one who felt I needed a lecture about my attitude.
    As for your run there is little point arguing or getting annoyed and use this!
    https://2kmfromhome.com/

I was using something like that.

I was told that I was out of my distance because i would need to travel more than 5km on the roads no matter the actual distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah that's BS. Absolutely everyone has been using the site is_that_so recommended, it was even recommended on RTE and not a single official source has come out to say that it's wrong.

Its definitely radius, worst assumption is that they understand rules they are expected to enforce

Its definitely radius, worst assumption is that they understand rules they are expected to enforce

Figured that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have met a good few guards at checkpoints in the last week alone and all have been very pleasant to deal with in fairness.

Kimbot wrote: »
    I have met a good few guards at checkpoints in the last week alone and all have been very pleasant to deal with in fairness.

At the end of the days the guards are people.

Some are idiots and some are grand.

Some are just in bad form because the last person they had to deal with cursed them out and take it out in the next person they see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

paw patrol wrote: »

Let me guess, you're also in your 20's? :D

Any of them I've spoken to have been 100%, smile, "hello, gard, i'm just off to the shops/work/funeral...etc..." have a nice day...

The impression I get is they really don't wanna be standing out in the middle of the road freezing all day, so although I don't agree with the 5k restrictions it's not the ordinary Gard who i'd take it up with...

Advertisement