Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

paw patrol wrote: »
    some gardai are the worst self righteous cnuts.
    seems to be the younger ones too mid 20s.

You may have unreasonable expectations of policing due to your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I was using something like that.

I was told that I was out of my distance because i would need to travel more than 5km on the roads no matter the actual distance.
    Unless you had to have gone outside the 5km radius to get to the place you were (which is unlikely) they are definitely wrong. The regulation clearly says 5km radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

plodder wrote: »
    Unless you had to have gone outside the 5km radius to get to the place you were (which is unlikely) they are definitely wrong. The regulation clearly says 5km radius.

I would have agreed with you on the 5km radius but can't find it mentioned in the restrictions. what it states is "While Ireland is at Level 5, you should not leave your house, except for exercise within 5 km of your home, unless you have a reasonable excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

AUDI20 wrote: »
    I would have agreed with you on the 5km radius but can't find it mentioned in the restrictions. what it states is "While Ireland is at Level 5, you should not leave your house, except for exercise within 5 km of your home, unless you have a reasonable excuse.

I think this is it from the SI?

(x) exercise -
    (i) alone,
    (ii) with other persons residing in the relevant residence,
    (iii) with persons from one other place of residence, or
    (iv) with persons residing in the relevant household and persons from one other place of residence,
    within a 5 kilometre radius of the person’s place of residence

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/701/made/en/print

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

Thanks Odyssey06 for that. My son lives a 8.5km road distance from me but well within the 5km radius so this statement from the Garda is somewhat confusing.
    [An Garda Síochána
    @GardaTraffiC
    Blanchardstown Gardaí conducted a checkpoint as part of #OperationFanacht at Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park yesterday in support of public health regulations.
    The 5km limit includes distance travelled from your home to a location for exercise.}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

AUDI20 wrote: »
    Thanks Odyssey06 for that. My son lives a 8.5km road distance from me but well within the 5km radius so this statement from the Garda is somewhat confusing.
    [An Garda Síochána
    @GardaTraffiC
    Blanchardstown Gardaí conducted a checkpoint as part of #OperationFanacht at Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park yesterday in support of public health regulations.
    The 5km limit includes distance travelled from your home to a location for exercise.}
    I think what they mean by that, is if you get in your car and drive somewhere to go for a walk, then the drive and the walk must all be within the 5km radius. You can't drive 20km and then go for a 5km walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

plodder wrote: »
    I think what they mean by that, is if you get in your car and drive somewhere to go for a walk, then the drive and the walk must all be within the 5km radius. You can't drive 20km and then go for a 5km walk.

Yes or even more specifically drive 5km then start a 3km walk taking you outside your radius.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://2kmfromhome.com/5km/

This is a useful website to get your 5km radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Does aggregated data mean an overview without giving each individuals data

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Does aggregated data mean an overview without giving each individuals data

yes it does.

from the article:
    The deal between the Department and Three sees the movement data from all handsets on the carrier’s network anonymised and grouped in order to show what proportion of people have been straying more than 10km from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Let me guess, you're also in your 20's? :D

Any of them I've spoken to have been 100%, smile, "hello, gard, i'm just off to the shops/work/funeral...etc..." have a nice day....

sadly my 20s are a mere hazy memory
    i'm 43 , my eldest almost in his 20s.

You may have unreasonable expectations of policing due to your username.

a fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://gript.ie/gardai-we-caught-a-hardened-criminal-walking-on-the-beach/

Why are gardaí not taking as tough a stance towards the George Nkencho protesters as they are towards lone individuals who violate the 5 km rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why are gardaí not taking as tough a stance towards the George Nkencho protesters as they are towards lone individuals who violate the 5 km rule?

They use their discretion, and make the best use of resources.

How many gardai would it have taken to break up the protesters?
    There would very likely have been riots, with injuries to both protesters and gardai. This would have involved tying up ambulances, and possibly armed garda units and hospital resources.

By publicising the guy ( who wasn't a hardened criminal) on the beach, they get the message across to a vast proportion of the population that there will be consequences for breaking restrictions, at a very cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No consistency at all.

Gardai stop more or less all cars travelling outside 5km, they don't stop any buses whatsoever, so you can pretty much go where you like if you're on a bus too.. have been on a bus to the airport 4 times and not once did a Guard stop the bus. You couldn't make this stuff up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Allinall wrote: »

There would very likely have been riots, with injuries to both protesters and gardai. This would have involved tying up ambulances, and possibly armed garda units and hospital resources.

By publicising the guy ( who wasn't a hardened criminal) on the beach, they get the message across to a vast proportion of the population that there will be consequences for breaking restrictions, at a very cheap price.

they also are demonstrating they play favorites in applying the law.
    harassing a lone citizen in minor rule breaking is just picking hanging fruit instead of hard graft.
    people were being assaulted and shops/people in shops were threatened on top of the blatant covid rule breaking in blanch.
    Taking action on the less serious one and not the other is not a good look for the police .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Gardaí seem to be letting most people away with breaking the rules. Checkpoints with Garda just sitting in the car is common place.
    Other checkpoints asking purpose of the journey, 'work' seems to get you a free pass. No asking what kind of work, or where you live.
    Building site being developed across the road from me has workers travelling down from Monaghan to work there all the time. Gardaí says it's not up to them to enforce shutting them down.

Effects wrote: »
    Gardaí seem to be letting most people away with breaking the rules. Checkpoints with Garda just sitting in the car is common place.
    Other checkpoints asking purpose of the journey, 'work' seems to get you a free pass. No asking what kind of work, or where you live.
    Building site being developed across the road from me has workers travelling down from Monaghan to work there all the time. Gardaí says it's not up to them to enforce shutting them down.

Some construction work is exempt from the lockdown, e.g. social housing.

Allinall wrote: »

Why didn't gardaí prevent protesters from gathering outside Blanchardstown station in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

No consistency at all.

Gardai stop more or less all cars travelling outside 5km, they don't stop any buses whatsoever, so you can pretty much go where you like if you're on a bus too.. have been on a bus to the airport 4 times and not once did a Guard stop the bus. You couldn't make this stuff up!

You've been allowed to go to the airport regardless of the 5km (might have changed in the last week)

I don't know how the George Nkencho protesters get away with it though. The looney toons will soon be in to give an explanation though.

• Advertisement

Why didn't gardaí prevent protesters from gathering outside Blanchardstown station in the first place?

do you have some proof that the people outside the station were more than 5km from their homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are people giving out that the the guy on the beach was given a warning and told to go home , or that he was fined when he was found at the second beach ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Because that would be racist. You racist.

This is the infuriating thing for people throughout this whole ordeal. The selective enforcement. We were in still in lockdown last year when BLM were able to hold protests in Dublin and other parts of the Country. Meanwhile the "Stay at Home or You'll kill Grandma." talking heads in the Media and Govt were cheering them on.

Then ofcourse there's Golfgate, RTE retirement party and other acts of the people telling us to stay home not practicing what they preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I would say that lad on the beach was done not for breaching Covid rules but for ignoring the chance he was given in the first place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are people giving out that the the guy on the beach was given a warning and told to go home , or that he was fined when he was found at the second beach ?

If anything this story shows that the Guards are trying to be reasonable and you have to be an asshole to actually get fined

bubblypop wrote: »
    do you have some proof that the people outside the station were more than 5km from their homes?

They may not have been - but they were in breach of social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Some construction work is exempt from the lockdown, e.g. social housing.

Yeah, it's not social housing.

They may not have been - but they were in breach of social distancing.

social distancing is not a law, neither is there anything a guard can do about it, other than advise you about social distancing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Because that would be racist. You racist.

This is the infuriating thing for people throughout this whole ordeal. The selective enforcement. We were in still in lockdown last year when BLM were able to hold protests in Dublin and other parts of the Country. Meanwhile the "Stay at Home or You'll kill Grandma." talking heads in the Media and Govt were cheering them on.

Then ofcourse there's Golfgate, RTE retirement party and other acts of the people telling us to stay home not practicing what they preach.
    It's nothing to do with racism, the right wing crowd have been protesting on the streets since the first lockdown began last year without being challenged. There's been funerals all over the country breaking the rules.

As said above it's the guards using their discretion to avoid these things escalating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

It's nothing to do with racism, the right wing crowd have been protesting on the streets since the first lockdown began last year without being challenged. There's been funerals all over the country breaking the rules.

As said above it's the guards using their discretion to avoid these things escalating

I was being sarcastic with that part. I do appreciate that the Gardai aren't going gung-ho enforcing these things.

Advertisement