Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Graham wrote: »
    Looking at thanks in the Garda Dance Video thread, i don't think its the Garda that have misjudged the mood of the nation. ;)

The thread where you aren't allowed to bring up the Gardai breaking restrictions?? Of course it's full of happy clappers, all dissent is banned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The thread where you aren't allowed to bring up the Gardai breaking restrictions?? Of course it's full of happy clappers, all dissent is banned.

Oddly enough, the support for the video was evident in the first 4 posts well before the mod warning and the perpetual whiners decided they speak for the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Do the laws not apply to AGS?

Can me and my colleagues go on a jolly after work? We're in the same office all day. Would AGS take that as an excuse if the six of us went for a walk on the beach after work?? They'd no issue fining people for walking alone on the beach.
    You had no problem going for jollies with "the lads" in the pub and private houses in December in flagrant contravention of the restrictions at the time, and boasting about it ad nauseum on various threads.

The sheer, glorious hypocrisy of it!!

Why would the rules not apply to you, but you're obsessing over this?

Like I said yesterday, that's a mighty high horse you're up on. Hope the view is good.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You had no problem going for jollies with "the lads" in the pub and private houses in December in flagrant contravention of the restrictions at the time, and boasting about it ad nauseum on various threads.

Why would the rules not apply to you, but you're obsessing over this?

Like I said yesterday, that's a mighty high horse you're up on. Hope the view is good.

If i'm caught breaching regulations i'll be fined by the very same organisation that have no issue releasing videos of themselves breaching the exact same regulations.

I'm sure if the Gardai were caught drug dealing you'd be on here giving out to anyone who'd ever had a toke of a joint who thought that was unacceptable.

One rule for the Gardai, one rule for everyone else.

If i'm caught breaching regulations i'll be fined by the very same organisation that have no issue releasing videos of themselves breaching the exact same regulations.

I'm sure if the Gardai were caught drug dealing you'd be on here giving out to anyone who'd ever had a toke of a joint who thought that was unacceptable.

What are you waffling on about drugs for.

I say well done to the Garda, brought a smile to thousands of people. Reflects well on the force and the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Moan moan moan. If anyone asked you to walk away from a PC and do a dance you would moan about that.

Some people really need to get a life and quit complaining about everyone else. Sick of listening to a group of old whinge bags

What are you waffling on about drugs for.

I say well done to the Garda, brought a smile to thousands of people. Reflects well on the force and the country.

Ah sure we all know Covid doesn't affect Gardai. Even though hundreds are out on sick leave :rolleyes:

Ah sure we all know Covid doesn't affect Gardai. Even though hundreds are out on sick leave :rolleyes:

I'll take things that nobody said for 500 please Alex.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just saw a video of gardai arresting some youngfella for swimming in the sea... And then I think back to that absolutely disgraceful video yesterday of gards clearly breaking "the guidelines" for a fücking viral video.

It's beyond vile. How anyone can sit back and applaud it baffles me.

I very much doubt anyone was arrested for swimming in the sea.

What was the real story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Just saw a video of gardai arresting some youngfella for swimming in the sea... And then I think back to that absolutely disgraceful video yesterday of gards clearly breaking "the guidelines" for a fücking viral video.

It's beyond vile. How anyone can sit back and applaud it baffles me.

Rubbish. Swimming in the sea isn't an offence so he wasn't arrested for that. He clearly breached some other law or would not have been arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

So there we have it. The rules do not apply to the Gardai. Why not just state that first instead of claiming they were working/it was not filmed while they were working??

Rules are for the plebs, the Gardai can do whatever they want. No wonder no one respects them anymore. Most are glorified traffic wardens.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Except of course when they do something that suits you, like shooting immigrants.
    You're transparent

Mod

Both of you quit it at each other please.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

stoneill wrote: »
    What exactly is your issue with this?
    They were too close?
    It was taxpayers money?
    They are outside?

They were socially distanced.
    It was done when shift had finished.
    It was voluntary.
    It was done with colleagues who they spend most of their day with anyway.

I have a problem with it, and that's if any other organisation made such a video they would be ridiculed for breaking covid legislation.

If it was done off duty, it has to be a breach of legislation - as social gatherings are not allowed.

Would the guards accept it as a reasonable excuse that i was going to meet up with my workmates for a PR stunt? Is it not meant to be essential work only...

PS - I disagree with lots of the rules anyway, but i am not the one charged with enforcing them, the guards are...they are the ones stopping people travelling unless they have a reasonable excuse, they are stopping people being allowed to see their work colleagues/friends for a short chat outdoors if its over 5km away, they are stopping people from even going to work unless its essential, and yet they can do this with their work colleagues..

People are being stopped by the guards when trying to make money to put food on the table and told their work isn't essential, don't know whats more essential than being able to work and make money to pay for the essentials (not everyone is entitled to PUP etc) how is this video essential?

It doesn't matter if its covid safe or not, (that doesn't matter whenever "normal" people are going about their business) what matters is that it is definitely not in the spirit of the same lockdown the guards are enforcing..

The next time i get stopped, might just say i'm going to make a dance video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

How.? How did it cost time or money? Do you, genuinely believe that this was done on duty and using the Garda budget?

Care to buy a bridge, barely used?

Yes I genuinely believe it was done on duty. The fact they were all on duty means it had to come out of Garda budget. There is a cost to every personnel hour. There is a cost to every km driven by a police car. There is a cost to every step taken by a police horse. All these add up.

I'm not outraged by it. I just think it was excessive and unnecessary. I wouldn't like to see anything similar repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

does anyone know if I can travel to pick up a rescue dog ? Friend needs rid of his mutt as he is moving to a house that doesnt allow it. I agreed to adopt the little fella. Put it off for Jan but the moving date now looms and restriction remains in place.

thanks

KaneToad wrote: »
    Yes I genuinely believe it was done on duty. The fact they were all on duty means it had to come out of Garda budget. There is a cost to every personnel hour. There is a cost to every km driven by a police car. There is a cost to every step taken by a police horse. All these add up.

I'm not outraged by it. I just think it was excessive and unnecessary. I wouldn't like to see anything similar repeated.

If it was done on duty it still wouldn't have cost anywhere close to the expenses submitted by TD's. Even during the middle of pandemic, people unable to travel a Dublin TD swore that he required full expenses.

Don't see pages and pages of a thread about that?

What are we complaining about next? the nurses doing a little dance with patients because it cost a few quid of tax? yet we bury billions into a hole that is called the "Christmas Bonus" for social welfare?

Bit of perspective here.

You know it is bad when Gemma O'Doherty is in agreement with those complaining about this video. Seeming the video promotes satanic rituals.
    kind of puts it in perspective. For all the moans, Gemma agrees with you!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

The more they dance the more there is a chance of soil movement which may disturb the remains of our missing women which heightens the chances that the crimes surrounding their disappearances may finally be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

You know it is bad when Gemma O'Doherty is in agreement with those complaining about this video. Seeming the video promotes satanic rituals.
    kind of puts it in perspective. For all the moans, Gemma agrees with you!!!!

aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnd???? surely people can disagree about something without someone ploughing in with the you are a wink wink bad person if you disagree with me "argument"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

RobAMerc wrote: »
    does anyone know if I can travel to pick up a rescue dog ? Friend needs rid of his mutt as he is moving to a house that doesnt allow it. I agreed to adopt the little fella. Put it off for Jan but the moving date now looms and restriction remains in place.

thanks

It could be classed as an essential journey under the spirit of the guidelines at least- a dog who otherwise would be sent to a dog pound- how far are you travelling ? Maybe get the paperwork in order first- ask your friend to contact their local dog centre- there might be a way for them to transport the dog closer to you if you’re like 100s of KMs away - or they might be able to organize some sort of letter of transport- it would be a very tough luck to be fined for that journey and certainly appealable but best to try official channels first to save yourself some hastle - best of luck and fair play to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 bluescat

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Our police come under a lot of scrutiny,some justified,much not.
    But i have to say i have been blown away by the efforts of the force since this COVID19 crisis started.

In every community throughout the country they have been looking after our elderly and vulnerable.
    Dropping off supplies of food and medications, checking in to make sure people are being looked after and all the while dealing with everyday policing.

Could this crisis change many peoples view on our police.?

Really? I'm extremely "vulnerable, no one has checked on me, but being prevented from seeing psychologist, who i need to see due to torture as a child. But maybe you need to be an old child torturer to be able to be "looked after". Victims can go and die...as long as they do it quietly.
    Let's see if THIS post ALSO gets deleted...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bluescat wrote:
    Really? I'm extremely "vulnerable, no one has checked on me, but being prevented from seeing psychologist, who i need to see due to torture as a child. But maybe you need to be an old child torturer to be able to be "looked after". Victims can go and die...as long as they do it quietly. Let's see if THIS post ALSO gets deleted...

Our mental health services are a disgrace, continually forgotten about and chronically underfunded, staff from my own services are dropping like flies, completely overwhelmed, deeply underfunded, and I can't ever see it changing. Multiples of billions are required immediately, but that's not gonna happen, so..... the gardai are not to blame, they've effectively become an extension of the health service, picking up some of the slack, it's disturbing really. I wish you well

bluescat wrote: »
    Really? I'm extremely "vulnerable, no one has checked on me, but being prevented from seeing psychologist, who i need to see due to torture as a child. But maybe you need to be an old child torturer to be able to be "looked after". Victims can go and die...as long as they do it quietly.
    Let's see if THIS post ALSO gets deleted...

I'm not sure who is preventing you from seeing a psychologist?
    If you feel you are vulnerable and need assistance, you can ring your local station and they will give you the help you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

thanks

Don't know if you have done it yet but it does sound like you are doing a good thing. Even ring the local station and explain the situation. Remember most Guards are normal decent people (despite what some whingers think) and will help you out.

thanks

The roadside Gardai couldn't give a sh/te where you're going. So long as you're not deliberately difficult or confrontational with them, you'll be grand.

I've been through loads of checkpoints. I'm stopped at about 30% of them I'd say, and even then I barely have a word out of my mouth before they're telling me to go on ahead.

Once you start rambling about a rescue dog they'll have lost interest and be wanting rid of you.

"What's the purpose of your journey?"
    "Ah just off to murder my ex with a large knife i have in the boot"
    "Grand so, take it handy".

(sacarsm, just incase it's not obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

thanks

Animal welfare is an essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wouldn't be so sure about all these "ah you'll be grand" posts. The Gardai have mentioned "travelling to pick up a dog" a couple of times in their "name, shame and fine" tweets on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Stark wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about all these "ah you'll be grand" posts. The Gardai have mentioned "travelling to pick up a dog" a couple of times in their "name, shame and fine" tweets on Twitter.

It's not for the Gardai to judge what constitutes animal welfare. Genuinely travelling to collect a dog is a welfare issue. Some Gardai have no understanding of animal welfare. I would take my chance in Court if necessary.

Stark wrote: »

The only one I can remember is some fella travelling from the North down to Cork (or around there) to buy a puppy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The only one I can remember is some fella travelling from the North down to Cork (or around there) to buy a puppy.

is that the one who got stopped and turned around then got stopped a second time? This was at the start in a very strict lockdown . There have been others OK since then

Maybe ask on the Pets and Pet care forum?

Advertisement