Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I presume we'll see the 2 doctors who found the dog up the Wicklow mountains fined. They were well outside their 5kms and are easily identifiable. Or the Clonee rioters, they'll all get fixed penalties in the door?? Or would that be bad PR?? But Betty and Maureen going for a sea swim is an easy target. Policing by PR in Ireland now.

the twitter account of one of the people that had been walking the dog had Dublin at their location :pac: . but there is a bit of the cute stories good, ordinary plebs not causing anyone problems are scum of the earth that ought to be publicly flogged

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They took swimmers off a beach? Because they were outside of their 5k? Or just because it was deemed as some kind of non-essential or frivolous exercise?

The maddening thing about the heavy handed approach to outdoor activities is I could find this totally believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I'm in a volunteers group that used to meet outdoors but we have stopped since level 5 restrictions state "No organised outdoor gatherings should take place.". Is that the case? The guards had a organised outdoor gatherings so I'm genuinely confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I presume we'll see the 2 doctors who found the dog up the Wicklow mountains fined. They were well outside their 5kms and are easily identifiable.
    From what I read they lived in Aughavannagh so they could have literally walked out of their front door to the top of Lug up the Ow valley, about 6km as the crow files, so hardly "well outside". Anyway where they found the dog seems to have been a good bit before they would have reached the summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I presume we'll see the 2 doctors who found the dog up the Wicklow mountains fined. They were well outside their 5kms and are easily identifiable. Or the Clonee rioters, they'll all get fixed penalties in the door?? Or would that be bad PR?? But Betty and Maureen going for a sea swim is an easy target. Policing by PR in Ireland now.

Well if they are fined, i will pay it for them. Thank god they were on that mountain or the poor dog would have died. Wasn’t easy carrying that big dog down on his back in that weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Animal welfare is a legitimate reason to be outside your 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Discodog wrote: »
    Animal welfare is a legitimate reason to be outside your 5k.

Wow, they were psychic...they knew where to find it and all.

I think they stated that was the purpose of their walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Discodog wrote: »
    I think they stated that was the purpose of their walk.

Wasn't a walk then- it was a search and rescue. Fair play to them I say. It's a sorry state of affairs when as a nation we read a story like this and our first thought is-'fine the bastards, they were more than 5k from their house'.
    What have we become!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Wasn't a walk then- it was a search and rescue. Fair play to them I say. It's a sorry state of affairs when as a nation we read a story like this and our first thought is-'fine the bastards, they were more than 5k from their house'.
    What have we become!

Even worse is how no one found it over two weeks. I would of been out every hour of every day if it had been my dog.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Just get the bus, they don't search them...or get the taxi to drop you off just before the terminals... There's one Gard sat at the area just as you go to scan your boarding pass, just have your essential travel reason ready.

There's 2 checkpoints before the terminals. Gardai at security and at various times, Gardai from the airport station on beat duty inside.

Buses and taxis are stopped, buses are boarded.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ha! Well those complaints have a Snowballs chance in hell of getting any further than the "Archive" folder in GSOC's Mailbox!

As we all know it's one rule for them and another for the rest of us...

To do realise that this is the case for a reason right?

There's a reason Gardai can't all work from home and are exempt from certain laws?

There's a reason why they can travel distances, because they cover large areas on patrol.

Do you want to tackle armed criminals for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

To do realise that this is the case for a reason right? There's a reason Gardai can't all work from home and are exempt from certain laws? There's a reason why they can travel distances, because they cover large areas on patrol.Do you want to tackle armed criminals for some reason?

Me tackling armed criminals has nothing to do with the Gardai performing dances on TicTok whilst on duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Speaking of which anyone know of any checkpoints in and around Lugnaquilla, Glen of Imaal or Glenmalure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Alun wrote: »
    From what I read they lived in Aughavannagh so they could have literally walked out of their front door to the top of Lug up the Ow valley, about 6km as the crow files, so hardly "well outside". Anyway where they found the dog seems to have been a good bit before they would have reached the summit.

“Ms Nolan used her scarf to attach Neesha to Mr Bonnet’s backpack, and they continued their descent, a journey of about 10km, which took four-five hours”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

It's a great excuse all the same.

Garda: Why are you travelling out of Dublin airport today?

Me: I'm looking for my lost dog. I think he swam to Albufeira.

Garda: Carry on.

My poor dog will never be found. :(:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

is_that_so wrote: »
    If you're inclined to allow things to get your back up. It was harmless, brought smiles to many faces and was a good tonic at this point.

You could say this about any group of people meeting up outside for a scheduled event.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

There's 2 checkpoints before the terminals. Gardai at security and at various times, Gardai from the airport station on beat duty inside.

Buses and taxis are stopped, buses are boarded.

****, that's a game changer for me. We're you fined? Or did you have a valid reason for travelling?

fran38 wrote: »
    ****, that's a game changer for me. We're you fined? Or did you have a valid reason for travelling?

My travel is essential. Whats yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

My travel is essential. Whats yours?

My trip isn't classed as esential

• Advertisement

Took Welsh Police to impose a proper fine for pisstaking.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/corkman-fined-travelling-wales-buy-19812956

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Took Welsh Police to impose a proper fine for pisstaking.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/corkman-fined-travelling-wales-buy-19812956

good luck trying to collect the fine :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

Shame that it's impossible to buy a car in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Then don't travel ,it's pretty straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There's always a way round it.

Probable best steering clear then considering the amount of chances of getting pulled up

silverharp wrote: »

Maybe so but it will result in various actions and possible a warrant for him should he intend to return in the future.

All for a car that he could have bought here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So, was out for a walk with a good friend.

He travels to a couple of pharma sites regularly, he was stopped last week. Showed his letter and garda called the number of his manager to check he was an employee, they also asked the what he looked like and what car he drove.

His wifes mother was going to the beacon for a required visit. Gardai called the beacon to check if X was going for an appointment with Dr ABC.

Is this normal? It seems invasive

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It seems to vary a lot and depends where you are. Not experienced that level of scrutiny this time around but there are always some busybodies. Just be polite with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So, was out for a walk with a good friend.

He travels to a couple of pharma sites regularly, he was stopped last week. Showed his letter and garda called the number of his manager to check he was an employee, they also asked the what he looked like and what car he drove.

His wifes mother was going to the beacon for a required visit. Gardai called the beacon to check if X was going for an appointment with Dr ABC.

Is this normal? It seems invasive
    This is what happens when you have people trying their hands with fake letters of exemption.

What else can they do to verify the details are genuine if they have suspicions?

Advertisement