Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

scwazrh wrote: »
    Over the last week we’ve heard of over 150 travellers at a funeral in Birr , 25 caravans arriving from the UK and setting up site in the Curragh and a full plane load of highly skilled workers arriving in to pick fruit for us.The Garda have done nothing about any of this yet are stopping law abiding people and asking them where they are going .
    How can anyone honestly feel that the Garda are enforcing restrictions fairly during this ?

Its their culture Boss. We cant have the police enforcing the law against these ethnics.
    Look at the whinging from the Irish Council for Civil Liberties etc because the Government brought in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Zapy

I was driving to my elderly mothers house this afternoon to deliver shopping. I saw a police car in the distance on a back road near the airport and assumed I was about to be stopped for questioning. But as I came closer I saw an officer standing behind the car with a speed gun!

Have to say I was very disappointed...I thought that enforcing the restrictions was their first priority. Yet here they were passing up on that opportunity and instead focusing on making a few extra Euros instead. With most of the takings possibly coming from frontline and healthcare workers.

I thought it was morally indefensible given the sacrifices that are being made by the citizens of this country. Now is not the time to be making a quick buck. It's disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Zapy wrote: »
    I was driving to my elderly mothers house this afternoon to deliver shopping. I saw a police car in the distance on a back road near the airport and assumed I was about to be stopped for questioning. But as I came closer I saw an officer standing behind the car with a speed gun!

Have to say I was very disappointed...I thought that enforcing the restrictions was their first priority. Yet here they were passing up on that opportunity and instead focusing on making a few extra Euros instead. With most of the takings possibly coming from frontline and healthcare workers.

I thought it was morally indefensible given the sacrifices that are being made by the citizens of this country. Now is not the time to be making a quick buck. It's disgraceful.

You think people should be allowed to drive as fast as they like because there’s a pandemic?Why?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

scwazrh wrote: »
    Over the last week we’ve heard of over 150 travellers at a funeral in Birr , 25 caravans arriving from the UK and setting up site in the Curragh and a full plane load of highly skilled workers arriving in to pick fruit for us.The Garda have done nothing about any of this yet are stopping law abiding people and asking them where they are going .
    How can anyone honestly feel that the Garda are enforcing restrictions fairly during this ?
    If anyone was in any doubt over the amateur hour mishandling of this crisis by our authorities those stories confirm it. Still no border checks, still no quarantine, still no proper contact tracing, testing is variable depending on the week and that craziness above on top.

Whatever about the existing travellers in the country, indeed forget who they are for a moment. Think on this folks; twenty caravans can come into a country under "lockdown", go in convoy from Dublin port, or wherever, make their way for what 50 kms down main roads and be free to set up an illegal encampment on government land without hindrance. It beggars fucking belief. :mad: It is beyond pathetic and shambolic. I don't wonder that people seeing this ridiculous situation and being stopped going to bloody tesco might think sod this restrictions bollocks.

Oh and I don't blame the rank and file Gardai either. I blame successive governments, I blame a large chunk of the judiciary, I blame the top ranking avoid all responsibility civil servants and I blame outlets like RTE who don't ask tough questions because they have the poorbox out again looking for the rest of us to prop up their creaking not fit for purpose edifice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You on a wind up here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There's an easy way to hold on to your money, don't speed.

splinter65 wrote: »
    You think people should be allowed to drive as fast as they like because there’s a pandemic?Why?

No, not at all. But the guards have limited resources and manually enforcing the restrictions is a huge factor in getting us through this in the shortest time possible.

Would I rather see a dozen speeding tickets issued or a dozen motorists making unnecessary journeys being told to go home and possibly reducing the spread of the virus?
    Which option do you think will help improve the countries situation?

I dont think its in anyones benefit to move the focus to issuing speeding tickets at this moment in time. They can ramp that up come Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No, not at all. But the guards have limited resources and manually enforcing the restrictions is a huge factor in getting us through this in the shortest time possible.

Would I rather see a dozen speeding tickets issued or a dozen motorists making unnecessary journeys being told to go home and possibly reducing the spread of the virus?
    Which option do you think will help improve the countries situation?

I dont think its in anyones benefit to move the focus to issuing speeding tickets at this moment in time. They can ramp that up come Xmas.

I have absolutely no idea why you think that it’s ok for AGS to allow some laws to be broken while insisting that other laws are upheld. That’s ludicrous.
    You’re not making any sense.
    How about people just obey all the laws.
    What your saying is that people can’t be expected to follow ALL the laws of the land at the same time.
    What is it, too complicated for folk or something?
    This law about speeding is to save lives, this law about staying 2km from home is to save lives, but you’re saying one has to be sacrificed to enforce the other. What???
    Why do you think it would come down to a choice?
    What other “choices” will the Gardai make?
    Will they overlook domestic abuse too in favour of patrolling the streets enforcing the 2km rule? I mean, wouldn’t you prefer that that guy gets away with beating up his girlfriend for the next couple of months rather then allow Karen to speed walk into the next village?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There are using the checkpoints as an opportunity to check windscreens as well.

Discodog wrote: »

That would be because it's the law to hold tax, insurance & nct & also to display valid discs for same on the windscreen.
    But you know that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rmgblue

If I willingly got into my car knowing that I'd meet several checkpoints on the road you can be guaranteed I'd have my windscreen in order. I'm happy for them to check that like me, people have paid their tax and insurance. Some people just make it too easy for the guards and its never their fault the got caught, always the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

It would be ridiculous, if they didn't.

The Commissioner has spoken:

"We can't keep going at this operational tempo, which began around the 16th of March, indefinitely, or indeed, for very much longer," he said.

No they're not. I've been through about 8-9 checkpoints and not once have they checked anything on the car. 'Where are you headed' and away off with me. Always keep their distance.

Haven't even glanced in the general direction of my windscreen.

The Commissioner has spoken:

"We can't keep going at this operational tempo, which began around the 16th of March, indefinitely, or indeed, for very much longer," he said.

Wonder what that means?

My area has more than it's fair share of anti social behaviour. Gardai are generally useless in terms of dealing with it and ringing them is often pointless.

However, over the past fortnight, they've really ramped up their efforts. I get the impression that they've a fair few more Gardai hanging around, and a bit less general crime to be dealing with, so they can actually respond properly to things like this.

Over the last fortnight it's like a completely different police force altogether. Two cars arriving at the same time, 4 and 5 Garda dealing with the issues, a proper presence in place. Showing strength in numbers and the scumbags are constantly running from them.

Whereas a month ago you'd have been lucky to get a single Garda car to drive by the area at all, now they're getting out of the cars and being proactive. Response times are now about 10-15 minutes VS the usual hour or two we'd wait before (if they showed up at all).

This is how the Gardai should be policing. If they revert straight back to the 'policing from a distance' then it'll be very frustrating. We desperately need more Gardai on the streets across the country, and I'd have no issue paying a little more tax to get it. We'll be getting slapped with taxes after this anyway, so to throw some extra funding at the Gardai would be a good idea.

Can only imagine how much better the Gardai would be in my area if they focused only on policing and weren't a Meals on Wheels substitute aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

He means holiday leave is cancelled, extended overtime issues, normal paperwork delayed, restricted work due to virus issues, garda going off sick, maternity leave due, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

Economic-Impact-3.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

splinter65 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea why you think that it’s ok for AGS to allow some laws to be broken while insisting that other laws are upheld. That’s ludicrous.
    You’re not making any sense.
    How about people just obey all the laws.
    What your saying is that people can’t be expected to follow ALL the laws of the land at the same time.
    What is it, too complicated for folk or something?
    This law about speeding is to save lives, this law about staying 2km from home is to save lives, but you’re saying one has to be sacrificed to enforce the other. What???
    Why do you think it would come down to a choice?
    What other “choices” will the Gardai make?
    Will they overlook domestic abuse too in favour of patrolling the streets enforcing the 2km rule? I mean, wouldn’t you prefer that that guy gets away with beating up his girlfriend for the next couple of months rather then allow Karen to speed walk into the next village?

To be fair, it's a strange decision to be out with speed guns when

A) they are struggling with the "operational tempo' as per commissioner
    B) speed Vans can do same job with no garda resource

padser wrote: »
    To be fair, it's a strange decision to be out with soews guns when

A) they are struggling with the "operational tempo' as per commissioner
    B) speed Vans can do same job with no garda resource

The way I see it, a guard placed on a road has 2 choices.
    Set up a checkpoint and enforce restrictions which should reduce the spread of the virus. Checkpoints also have a number of other advantages - they could be used to keep an eye on insurance/tax compliance and their presence will also reduce illegal speeding. So I'm happy to see checkpoints - I think they're good value for my taxes right now.

Or they can hide behind a car with a speeding gun...
    I'm not against speeding fines, but guards being used to man checkpoints are much more advantageous to the country at this point.
    And I agree, having a guard doing the job of a speed van makes no sense.

Guards have limited resources in this country. I hope they're used wisely, would hate to see any organisation making a quick buck from this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Did a guard ride your missus or something? You’ve some serious issue with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

fullstop wrote: »
    True story (all parties are long deceased):

Local chipper owner rings the Superintendent and says "You must arrest the fat policeman - first he eat-a my chips, now he ride-a my wife!".

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Takes a certain mindset to be a Guard.......and it shows...

fullstop wrote: »

I actually don't & I have friends that are Gardai & a couple in senior positions. Some Gardai are just as questioning - but they have to do it discretely.

The good Gardai genuinely want to serve & help the community. They know that the endless stopping & questioning is pointless.

Forcing people to walk on crowded paths when then could be on empty beaches is stupid.

They know that the endless stopping & questioning is pointless.

If they weren't there, I bet you'd be up a mountain or on a beach today, many miles from your home :p

If they weren't there, I bet you'd be up a mountain or on a beach today, many miles from your home :p

I have an empty beach 200m from my home ;)

There is a huge beach at Furbo that could safely accommodate crowds but it's coned off. So people are crowding into smaller areas. One Garda could easily supervise parking so that people socially distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

What i find amusing about some Gardai is if they happen to ask for your licence they are willing to take it off you without them wearing gloves...well that is until you point that out to them and the hand quickly retracts. Their spiel about covid19 is null and void then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have an empty beach 200m from my home ;)

There is a huge beach at Furbo that could safely accommodate crowds but it's coned off. So people are crowding into smaller areas. One Garda could easily supervise parking so that people socially distance.

Why waste a Garda doing that when people should be able to do it themselves.

I live in Dublin City Centre. Go out for a walk everyday since the restrictions. Compared to before the restrictions there is a bigger Garda presence both walking around and in cars. I usually walk for 30 mins and will see a two or three pairs of Garda walking together and two or three patrol cars. Every time I see the Garda walking they are walking shoulder to shoulder, no social distancing. Same with the Garda in patrol cars, two per car (except once I seen just one Garda in a car) sitting next to each other.

So what's going on here? I do my best to adhere to social distancing when I am outside. I assume I am following the guidelines or do I misunderstand something? I notice when the Garda are standing in one place they are most of the time adhering to social distancing (often there are a few standing around by The Spire on O'Connell Street) but they are never doing it whilst walking around or in cars.

I live in Dublin City Centre. Go out for a walk everyday since the restrictions. Compared to before the restrictions there is a bigger Garda presence both walking around and in cars. I usually walk for 30 mins and will see a two or three pairs of Garda walking together and two or three patrol cars. Every time I see the Garda walking they are walking shoulder to shoulder, no social distancing. Same with the Garda in patrol cars, two per car (except once I seen just one Garda in a car) sitting next to each other.

So what's going on here? I do my best to adhere to social distancing when I am outside. I assume I am following the guidelines or do I misunderstand something? I notice when the Garda are standing in one place they are most of the time adhering to social distancing (often there are a few standing around by The Spire on O'Connell Street) but they are never doing it whilst walking around or in cars.

Wouldnt it have been easier to simple ask yourself how the Gardai can socially distance in a car instead of asking us?

Gardai must walk together, they must work together. Its not possible to go solo most of the time. They overlap in the workspace because of the limited space and the work involved.

You can socially distance because its leisure and your alone. The amount of people off work is because social distancing in work is a lot harder. Its very difficult when a junkie is spitting at you and you have to arrest him

• Advertisement

alta stare wrote: »
    What i find amusing about some Gardai is if they happen to ask for your licence they are willing to take it off you without them wearing gloves...well that is until you point that out to them and the hand quickly retracts. Their spiel about covid19 is null and void then.

Gloves arent really needed if you are washing your hands and using sanitiser frequently. Most people wearing gloves seem to completely ignore the most important parts of safety. They rub their faces then touch objects, etc. climb over you in the shop and generally just behave like morons all because 'hey, Im wearing gloves'

Advertisement