Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Let them have their protest, that's my plan. What's your plan beat the public into submission.
    The Government are on a sinking ship and the guards should have more sense than be on the bottom deck with the buckets trying to bail them out.

The guards should call for an end to the 5km and country restrictions. It's doing them no good in the public eye.

Did you just make this up or basing it on facts.
    The latest poll shows 41% say the restrictions in place are correct and the rest are pretty evenly split on more/less restrictions.

Edit: it's actually 43% not 41%

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-strong-support-for-reopening-society-as-soon-as-possible-1.4495298

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

titan18 wrote: »
    And then you think of the Blanchardstown incident and people trying to storm the station and a local Spar and nothing, and those were situations as hostile as today. There is a clear inconsistency in how people are policed.

Sadly the Media would have torn the gardai to shreds in blanch if they responded appropriately, their saving grace is most people do not agree with this populist conspiracy nonsense so the gardai are free to use reasonable force to deal with the scrotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Let them have their protest, that's my plan. What's your plan beat the public into submission.
    The Government are on a sinking ship and the guards should have more sense than be on the bottom deck with the buckets trying to bail them out.

The guards should call for an end to the 5km and country restrictions. It's doing them no good in the public eye.

So essentially let them run riot...... beautiful, how could that go wrong.

The Gardai attempt to enforce the laws made by the Government, they can't just decide to not be on the side of law and order.

It's doing them no good in YOUR eyes. Don't pretend you speak for the nation, nor do the relatively few who showed up today...although you yourself weren't bothered enough to be out protesting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Lets be honest this was a violent protest organised by far right fascists.

Any proof to back up your claim that it was organised by far right fascists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The Guards have no place in setting policy. What sort of naive sh1t are you talking? And dangerous naive sh1t at that? The Gardaí do as they are instructed or they would be dissolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,434 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1361997977989054464?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1361997977989054464%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D116348666

Imagine the fun they could have had today if they had one to use like the PSNI have

margoprintJPG.jpg

You'd love to watch greasy anto and jacinta blasted down the road and get a good wash for once

You wont get any proof, just some tenuous links to things and the poster labelling everyone right of centre as fascists.

I dont know how advocating against lockdowns in itself could be fascist. I dont agree with the protestors but that doesnt make them fascists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Those protestors in Dublin today do not represent "the public"
    They represent a tiny minority who think violence will enable them to impose their will on the country. They're mindless thugs pure and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I’d say it’s unlikely the organisers or this protest know their right from their left tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

While I don't agree with this movement in any shape or form, do you consider preventing the right to peaceful protest is an acceptable direction for the country to go in?

Today wasnt in any way peaceful. Protesters went armed with missiles and fireworks. We can now start to see the violent intent of the far right in this country.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So on the one hand you are criticising Garda heavy handedness and on the other you want them to come out and call for a change in Govt policy? Bizarre, where do you think actions lie that lead to??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Killinator wrote: »
    So essentially let them run riot...... beautiful, how could that go wrong.

The Gardai attempt to enforce the laws made by the Government, they can't just decide to not be on the side of law and order.

It's doing them no good in YOUR eyes. Don't pretend you speak for the nation, nor do the relatively few who showed up today...although you yourself weren't bothered enough to be out protesting either.

If they run riot, they can shut it down.

Doing so preemptively is inviting chaos. What did they think was going to happen by shutting down the park, the huge crowd was just going to say "ok sorry guard" and go home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

There was a big crowd there today from the photos I seen so I doubt it was just the far right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Witcher wrote: »
    Let them do as they like so, sound.

The lunatics to run the asylum.

No that's not what I said, and if you had read my previous posts should have been able to deduce my position.
    Trouble makers should be stopped but the rest should be allowed on their lawful way.

You do know the WHO thinks we should not be restricting healthy people, Mike Ryan said it again a few days ago.
    Keep obeying these politician and their stupid unfounded in any science rules if it suits. I won't be agreeing with all of them any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They were I was watching from a different angle, batons were out before the fireworks at the crowd to the right.

Regardless, they made a mess of it. Tensions were high from the start, the fireworks brought things to a head rapidly and a lot or people scarpered.

You idiot, clutching at your pearls to try justify stupidity.

SPDUB wrote: »
    I see RTE are ignoring the protest by running it as the first item on 6.1 :rolleyes:

Their was me thinking that they’d sold there souls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,434 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Doing so preemptively is inviting chaos. What did they think was going to happen by shutting down the park, the huge crowd was just going to say "ok sorry guard" and go home?

Yeah it's probably too much to ask that scum do what's asked of them peacefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Today wasnt in any way peaceful. Protesters went armed with missiles and fireworks. We can now start to see the violent intent of the far right in this country.

By your logic all the BLM protests last year in the states were in no way peaceful and it was the result of the violent intent of the far left.

Most people are not violent extremists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

So you want them to react after they go mad. Ever hear the phrase 'prevention is better than the cure'.

Why bother shutting it down after it starts, sure let them run riot till they get tired!

Christ, it's lucky some of the posters here aren't in charge of policing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

There was a big crowd there today from the photos I seen so I doubt it was just the far right

Of course it wasn’t. It was every type of idiot. It’s sort of like Brexit. People have single issues and they aren’t all compatible. So you’ll have people that reject science, logic, lockdowns alone, Gemma-types, the works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So on the one hand you are criticising Garda heavy handedness and on the other you want them to come out and call for a change in Govt policy? Bizarre, where do you think actions lie that lead to??

I said there was a better way to handle it, that's not an unreasonable position to take.

The reason I'd like the guards to come out is as we've seen today ordinary people are not allowed. This is not any way normal behavior by a government pandemic or no pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

IngazZagni wrote: »
    The Guards made an absolute balls of this. Terrible decision making lead to a complete breakdown in crowd control.

Niall Boylan predicted this before it happened on twitter after the Gardai announced the closure of St Stephens Green which basically crammed the protesters/rioters down narrow streets as well as creating targets. Sometimes the best policing policy is to do nothing but observe from a distance and keep them in an open area. Instead lots of innocent bystanders got caught up in the chaos on narrow streets.
    Niall is a trustworthy source alright....

So you want them to react after they go mad. Ever hear the phrase 'prevention is better than the cure'.

Why bother shutting it down after it starts, sure let them run riot till they get tired!

Yea shutting the park worked out just fine didn't it.

Sure why not just lock everyone up now, the whole country? Who knows what people will do in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What's your definition of running riot? Does a protestor shooting a firework into Garda fall into that definition at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

The majority of the protest was peaceful to say otherwise is just delusional.

There were a few scummers with fireworks, that doesn't mean the whole protest was violent but you can keep believing that all you want.

There was a small few protesters that were out to cause trouble but the vast majority were peaceful protestors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That would make sense, and it's what they should always do. We've seen them leave others riot til they get tired in the past few months.

Your policy is 100% correct but they need to be consistent on it, otherwise you get sh1t happening when they go light touch on others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cowardly Gardai. But what do you expect from these modern Black and Tans?

Beating up peaceful protestors for the actions of some idiot with a firework.

The protestors were not peaceful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Witcher wrote: »
    Yeah it's probably too much to ask that scum do what's asked of them peacefully.

Like every single day between today and March 2020 you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Niall is a trustworthy source alright....

I think that's fake.

Advertisement