Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,434 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The majority of the protest was peaceful to say otherwise is just delusional.

There were a few scummers with fireworks, that doesn't mean the whole protest was violent but you can keep believing that all you want.

There was a small few protesters that were out to cause trouble but the vast majority were peaceful protestors.

The many videos circulating suggest otherwise and regardless these 'peaceful' elements didn't do much to stop the violent elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Hurrache wrote: »
    I think that's fake.
    he has deleted it sense but it's not fake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I said there was a better way to handle it, that's not an unreasonable position to take.

The reason I'd like the guards to come out is as we've seen today ordinary people are not allowed. This is not any way normal behavior by a government pandemic or no pandemic.

Given you know so much about this protest, can you tell me who the organizers where? from looking online, i can see whoever organised it, put together fake posters pretending to be from people before profit. Strange that a "ordinary people" who make up fake posters if they had nothing to hide.

Like every single day between today and March 2020 you mean?

It's not the first time these degenerates have caused trouble over the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,696 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hopefully a few of them have sore heads after baton slaps.

A lot of cowards in that crowd. Fireworks ffs. Probably think they are being militant.

Incredibly amateur stuff.

Complete failure of a protest. They have no support bar some Facebook gullibles.

• Advertisement

Guards (and the courts) are generally too easy on scumbags in this country. Good to see a bit of force being used, Landsdowne road style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Witcher wrote: »
    The many videos circulating suggest otherwise and regardless these 'peaceful' elements didn't do much to stop the violent elements.

I watched the facebook livestream of the protest and I saw no violence or violent incidents when they marched to the GPO.

There were violent scumbags at the protest but like I've already said the vast majority were peaceful.

What would you expect the peaceful protestors to do, start fighting the protestors with the fireworks?

They couldn't really have done anything to stop them because that small group of protestors were clearly out to cause trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What's your definition of running riot? Does a protestor shooting a firework into Garda fall into that definition at all?

Running riot was the other posters term not mine.

Anyway i'd expect someone shooting a firework at a garda to be restrained and arrested, which is what happened.

What do you reckon would have happened if the guards didn't close and blockade the park btw?

Damage to grass? Injured tree?

Like I said originally, chaos was invited to the surrounding streets when the park was shut down by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MacoSW

It was quite interesting in the video seeing how a thin tall guy dressed in white shot fireworks and this incredibly out of shape officer goes and beats up some random guy in black. You can't make these things up.

Riodej1578 wrote: »
    Does that app work reasonably well?

It's reliant on user updates but in my experience it's pretty accurate.
    Complete nonsense on your part. Cop on to yourself.

And yet the very next post;
    Your completely missing why the guards should have only been there as observers. It takes two to tango.

What happens next Saturday as there's one planned again. Let them bang their pots and pans, jump in if they start trouble but not until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

some lads truly do struggle with figuring out meaningful hobbies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Of course it wasn’t. It was every type of idiot. It’s sort of like Brexit. People have single issues and they aren’t all compatible. So you’ll have people that reject science, logic, lockdowns alone, Gemma-types, the works.

All of them thick fks for gathering in crowds during a pandemic. Hopefully a few of them die choking after catching it today.

Should have been sprayed with fluorescent spray and they be refused medical care if they need it.

MacoSW wrote: »
    It was quite interesting in the video seeing how a thin tall guy dressed in white shot fireworks and this incredibly out of shape officer goes and beats up some random guy in black. You can't make these things up.

Out of shape? He's wearing multiple tops and body armor with work boots and a formal hat. Hardly sprinting attire

Proper order. A few found out the hard way that they are tougher behind a keyboard than on the streets :)

They should have been at home today like 99% of the population trying to stop this thing.

I watched the facebook livestream of the protest and I saw no violence or violent incidents when they marched to the GPO.

There were violent scumbags at the protest but like I've already said the vast majority were peaceful.

What would expect the peaceful protestors to do, start fighting the protestors with the fireworks?

They couldn't really have done anything to stop them because that small group of protestors were clearly out to cause trouble

A guy walked through the crowd with a rocket with a stake on it the length of a sweeping brush and not one of these 'peaceful' protestors made any attempt to stop him.

Yes, I would expect them to make an attempt to stop it by force if necessary. If they're as committed to peaceful protest as you suggest then they would do that. Furthermore, if the desire for peaceful protest was as pervasive in the crowd as we are lead to believe they would have easily out numbered the trouble makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

A guy walked through the crowd with a rocket with a stake on it the length of a sweeping brush and not one of these 'peaceful' protestors made any attempt to stop him.

Yes, I would expect them to make an attempt to stop it by force if necessary. If they're as committed to peaceful protest as you suggest then they would do that. Furthermore, if the desire for peaceful protest was as pervasive in the crowd as we are lead to believe they would have easily out numbered the trouble makers.

Great so your expectations are completely unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Given you know so much about this protest, can you tell me who the organizers where? from looking online, i can see whoever organised it, put together fake posters pretending to be from people before profit. Strange that a "ordinary people" who make up fake posters if they had nothing to hide.

No idea i've no skin in the game here, I was going to ask earlier how did they organize as it doesn't seem to be through Facebook as those posters got very few likes or comments.

I'm thinking there was a political element to it, I'd expect BB to be behind a lot of the usual Dublin protests but he's in the Zero Covid camp. Suspect there's some SF and National Party involvement but I'm only guessing. (I want Leo back and MM out just for the record).

They're genuine hard done by people who go to these, let's not forget we're not all in this together.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have little doubt some attending today's demonstration had no intention of it becoming violent. However once it turned that way, and in particular the firework incident, they should have left. If they stayed they were condoning thug rule.

What would you expect the peaceful protestors to do, start fighting the protestors with the fireworks?

Gathering while there is a highly transmissible deadly virus is an unpeaceful act. Fk them.

• Advertisement

Great so your expectations are completely unrealistic.

Grand, so it's unrealistic to expect 'peaceful' protestors to keep the peace amongst their own side. Grand, they're not very committed so. Tourists out for a walk moreso than protestors.

They can't even stand together and control their own protest but we're to believe they have answers for the country. Fcuk me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mimon wrote: »
    Gathering while there is a highly transmissible deadly virus is an unpeaceful act. Fk them.

...and more importantly, fcuking dumb!

There was a flash that could have been another firework. The Gardai could probably see better from their position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭tjhook

The Gardai/politicians have made it clear up to now that they don't prevent public protest. They've allowed multiple protests to proceed so I'm ok with an "anti-restrictions" protest. Only a tinpot dictator would ban protests on the basis that "I disagree with their cause".

But once violence starts, it ceases to be a peaceful protest. At that point a sensible protestor should recognise the evolving situation, and leave.

I hope no genuine peaceful protestors have been injured in the response to the violence, but if they have been I'd be slow to blame the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Exactly, I'm sure all of them there would have no problem catching and kicking the sh!te out of the lad if it was one of their family members he was shooting the firework at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"Many Fine People" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Grand, so it's unrealistic to expect 'peaceful' protestors to keep the peace amongst their own side. Grand, they're not very committed so. Tourists out for a walk moreso than protestors.

Yes, it’s unrealistic to expect peaceful protestors to engage in violence.

But more to the point, it happened very quickly and didn’t look like people would have had time to process what was happening and react to it.

Exactly, I'm sure all of them there would have no problem catching and kicking the sh!te out of the lad if it was one of their family members he was shooting the firework at.

+1

When you realise the oul flutes going on 'I'd do this and I'd do that' but really do nothing are windbags you've achieved true wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Can we protest the virus away? I wasn't aware of that.

• Advertisement

Things like this may make the Gardai less naïve. They should have had spotters in an elevated situation to see something like this. Instead they were gathered in a group having a talk and never saw the attack happening.

Advertisement