Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

So, one sits in the back and how does he get out of the car in a hurry to deal with something? Think about who normally sits in the back before answering. You are also proposing grounding the entire Garda fleet while they insert screens into cars not designed to have screens placed in them.

I'm not actually against screens by the way but it requires time to resolve that issue and we don't have that at present

Your last point, yes they could walk 2 meters apart but if they just spent the past week in the car together, in the station together and wrestling a spitting criminal into a cell together. You really think that's the deal breaker?

So, one sits in the back and how does he get out of the car in a hurry to deal with something?

Really? This is a real question? By opening the back door and getting out.

A Garda can sit in the back sit with someone who is arrested. Nearly every time I have seen the two Garda in the car, there has only being the two of them, so the option for one to sit in the back is there. Many shops have installed screens already and I expect the Garda could do something in a similar amount of time. Obviously the whole Garda fleet would not need to be grounded to do it. Each car would only need to be off the road for a few hours. I would expect no longer than a day to install the screen.

Social distancing is a deal breaker.

So, one sits in the back and how does he get out of the car in a hurry to deal with something?

Really? This is a real question? By opening the back door and getting out.

Do you think the people that usually sit in the back can just open the door?
    Think about that for a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SketchyPrince

Hi lads, going to preface this by saying I'm not trying to go outside of restrictions and whatnot.

Just wondering what's the story with being turned away at checkpoints nowadays - is there a punishment now (aside from when having a load of people in a car)?

Many thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Hi lads, going to preface this by saying I'm not trying to go outside of restrictions and whatnot.

Just wondering what's the story with being turned away at checkpoints nowadays - is there a punishment now (aside from when having a load of people in a car)?

Many thanks.

Garda: where are you going?
    You : Shopping.

On ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

I recall that there were questions asked about the Garda response to the Debenhams workers' protest in contrast to how the gathering of John Waters and Gemma O'Doherty and their followers at the High Court.

Gardaí may not have foreseen the High Court gathering but, as far as I know, the Debenhams protest involved a small number of people who were distancing from each other.

So why did Gardaí allow the 'Black Lives Matter' protest in Dublin to go ahead but not allow the Debenhams workers to continue their protest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

In a word, optics. Very few police forces outside the US want to be seen baton charging and teargassing protesters. That being said, it's only reinforcing many peoples' opinion that the lockdown is now over and no longer enforceable to any real degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

If the circumstances are inconsistent then the decision will be inconsistent.

Gardai will take a risk assessment before intervening as is their job. If they think that breaking up the demonstration will increase the risk (Covid etc) then they will not intervene. I think it would be best that the benefit of the doubt be given to Gardai that make difficult calls based on the circumstances, rather than blanket application which actually results in disorder increasing risk*

Just to be clear I think the cretins in the Four Courts were more likely to create a riot than the protest against civil rights abuses in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭D3V!L

They wont get involved in anything that remotely is connected to someone of colour unless they are pushed out of fear of them being accused of being racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

micosoft wrote: »

Gardai will take a risk assessment before intervening as is their job. If they think that breaking up the demonstration will increase the risk (Covid etc) then they will not intervene. I think it would be best that the benefit of the doubt be given to Gardai that make difficult calls based on the circumstances, rather than blanket application which actually results in disorder increasing risk*

Just to be clear I think the cretins in the Four Courts were more likely to create a riot than the protest against civil rights abuses in the US.

But why break-up the Debenhams protest?

Edit:

I'm aware that gardaí were informed about the BLM protest beforehand but that there was a greater number of protesters than expected.

According to this article from last April, Debenhams protesters said they had clearance to protest but gardaí on Henry Street at the time disputed that.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/debenhams-workers-protest-outside-irish-stores-gardai-break-dublin-demonstration-1003295

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    They wont get involved in anything that remotely is connected to someone of colour unless they are pushed out of fear of them being accused of being racist.

Absolute rubbish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

bubblypop wrote: »
    If you were going anywhere other then places outlined in legislation, then you were breaking the law.
    Tbf there are always going to be those who think the law doesn't apply to them for some reason. A friend of mine who's a Garda said that by and large public mood has really improved. When he's dealing with everyday stuff almost everyone is very pleasant.

He said it's quite the opposite with the other sections of society. Hence that guy in Mallow that got shot trying to drive into a Garda at the checkpoint the other week. He had drugs in the car and didn't give a sh!t if he hurt or killed anyone.

There's hardly a drug to be had in the country at the moment so that's a bit of a plus for the ordinary people and law enforcement. A LOT of people I knew with bad weekend cocaine addictions have had to go off it... An absolute balls at first but I'd say they're feeling it now in their pockets and overall health. I'm so glad. It's a wretched drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

micosoft wrote: »

Just to be clear, I think the cretins protesting civil rights abuses in the US were more likely to create a danger to public health than the Gemma / John Waters rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fanacht checkpoints back now for Level 3 nationwide

132 arterial route fixed/permanent checkpoints plus mobile checkpoints.

I would assume they will focus on county boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Does anyone know if you speak Irish to them do they have to let you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you speak Irish to them do they have to let you go?

An Maith Slainte ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why is the gov getting gardai for 'not laws'

The Commissioner is warning of inevitable delays on major routes. So thousands of law abiding people are going to be inconvenienced rather than focusing on the house parties etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Our police come under a lot of scrutiny,some justified,much not.
    But i have to say i have been blown away by the efforts of the force since this COVID19 crisis started.

Could this crisis change many peoples view on our police.?

This didn't age well

They've been a fúcking shambles with Covid for months now

Hundreds of people at Oliver Bond flats party, the Gardai station 700 away and they eventually arrive at it 5 hours after it began

It's one of countless examples of their laziness. Just look at the state of O' Connell Street in Dublin ffs

Ireland's HSE and Guard system needs to be broken down and re-built from the ground up in a few years when Covid is a mere memory

Both institutions stink of corruption and cushy jobs from the top down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

All they can do is advise to turn around.

Failure before it even starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

All they can do is advise to turn around.

Failure before it even starts.

True, an awful waste of resources putting them standing around the roads, ok they may pick up a few people with the tax a month out or something hardly crime of the century when there's much worse going on all over the country..

It's not March now, we've all moved on, having Gards standing in the middle of the road telling you "Careful now" when our media Tv internet radio and all the signages absolutely saturates every minute of our lives means the massive Garda wage bill is yet another burden on all the taxpayers of the country with very little in Return for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

More powers to police house parties not in State’s best interest, says Garda chief
    The policing of house parties and large-scale street gatherings had been “difficult” for the Garda during the Covid-19 pandemic, but it was that doubtful giving the force more powers to deal with them would be a good idea for the Republic, Garda Commissioner Drew Harris has said.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/more-powers-to-police-house-parties-not-in-state-s-best-interest-says-garda-chief-1.4368740

Bunch of lazy b@stards

I've zero respect for them anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

ShineOn7 wrote: »

They are beyond useless if they don't have powers to fine and punish scumbags breaking the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are beyond useless if they don't have powers to fine and punish scumbags breaking the rules.

If they had more powers they might have to use them...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

The Gardai are a notional police force at this stage, completely unfit for purpose.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm currently self isolating as I'm due to undergo knee surgery in the morning. Got to get from Wexford to Dublin later today as it's being done at the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry. As I'm isolating I should not be winding the window down to speak to anyone....

I'll put my appointment letter up to the window when stopped and see what reaction that gets

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

miles of traffic jams this morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm currently self isolating as I'm due to undergo knee surgery in the morning. Got to get from Wexford to Dublin later today as it's being done at the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry. As I'm isolating I should not be winding the window down to speak to anyone....

I'll put my appointment letter up to the window when stopped and see what reaction that gets

Just put a notice "Covid positive" on the windscreen.

Advertisement