Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You get burnt by your comrades. Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Tonight in this thread sort of reinstated my faith in Boards

Lately it has been over run with blatant trolls and/or fans of G*mma, Walters and Gilroy who have signed up to do nothing but brigade posts and cause hassle on here

I can spot them a mile off

But tonight on this thread the vast majority of us were - rightly - aghast at today's events

The scumbags won't win

Scumbags will never win, the issue with their behaviour is though the rest of us will potentially suffer for longer, and potential worse still a Garda or an innocent person could lose their life if things turned ugly in any future protest. If a lad is stupid enough to bring a firework to a protest, who knows what they could bring next time - imagine if one turned up with a gun. :eek:

And then you would see the some posters on here saying that Garda should have clamped down and saved lives etc.

Crazy thing is that the Dublin riots of 2006 - happened pretty much exactly 15 years ago - wonder how many of the lads at those riots were in town at this protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

And remember, before you go asleep ....

fqgvowf2k3k61.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Our best and brightest on display :rolleyes:

545214.png

I see a lot of neat, fresh haircuts even though barbers are closed.....
    Also Foot Locker must be making a killing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Versus

ScreenS3.jpg

from 6.50 on in the vid he warns the Guard "tell your wife you love her"

As in "you're dead"

If I can do this with YouTube clips then the Guards with access to street CCTV definitely have the scumbag

And, as per some reports, they have

I bet the ****er still gets a suspended sentence, knowing the courts.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I bet the ****er still gets a suspended sentence, knowing the courts.

Looks like it was someone younger (see update here), so we'll see Dude

I'm really hoping attempted GBH on a Guard and the fact an emergency court sitting was organized earlier counts for something though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

GT89 wrote: »
    Whilst the person who fired the firework committed a criminal act and behaved like a thug and I will condemn that individual. The Garda response can only be described as utterly atrocious. Closing St.Stephens Green defied any reasonable logic.

This meant the crowd was being crammed into a much smaller space on Grafton Street which could only be seen as a provocation meaning far worse consequences if there was to be any any trouble at the protest which did happen.

If the protest had have been allowed to take place in Stephen's Green as originally intended the chances of trouble would have been reduced as 1. Stephen Green is larger open space meaning the chances of a crush were far lower and any individuals seeking to cause trouble could have easily been identified, removed and arrested. 2. Closing Stephen's Green was a provocation which only sought to anger protestors further thus increasing the possibility of trouble.

Conclusion whoever made the decision to move to close Stephen's Green today should resign from their position in AGS. This decision risked the safety of members of AGS, the protestors and members of the general public who may have gotten caught up in today's events. Quite frankly it was lucky no one was killed today and that is no exaggeration and most of the blame has to be put down to the incompetence of AGS.

ehh, what part of the lockdown do you not understand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Lately it has been over run with blatant trolls and/or fans of G*mma, Walters and Gilroy who have signed up to do nothing but brigade posts and cause hassle on here

But tonight on this thread the vast majority of us were - rightly - aghast at today's events

The scumbags won't win

Joined in April making 2,300 posts in this forum and a handful elsewhere. "I can spot them a mile off" too...

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

sabat wrote: »
    Joined in April making 2,300 posts in this forum and a handful elsewhere. "I can spot them a mile off" too...

Everyone can see it

Well done for trying to get some praise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

dotsman wrote: »
    ehh, what part of the lockdown do you not understand?

Did the Gardai really expect that by closing Stephen's Green that the anti lockdown crowd would call off the protest. No it was obvious that the protest was going to take place no matter what action the Gardai tried to take to prevent it from going ahead.

That is a real bury your head in the sand argument. Basically what your saying is "the protest shouldn't have happened thereafore an effective policing plan should not have been put in place to manage it". It is sort of like like "drugs shouldn't be sold thereafore we shouldn't police drugs".

The Gardai should have accepted the protest was going to happen and put in place a strategy to try and prevent trouble from occurring. If SSG which is a much larger open space the risk of contagion would have been lower as it would have been easier to practice some sort of social distancing if we use your argument.

On the protest itself the Gardaimshould been better able to identify the individual who fired the firework pulled him out and arrested him not baton charged the crowd this caused unnecessary risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The scumbags won't win
    these idiots are just the loudest voices same on Twitter even though it looks like they're the majority there not any right minded person wouldn't fall for their pathetic agenda, if 1 good thing came from today is the likes of Niall Boylan, Ewan McKenna have been exposed for the nonsense they've endorsed on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭jams100

Did the Gardai really expect that by closing Stephen's Green that the anti lockdown crowd would call off the protest. No it was obvious that the protest was going to take place no matter what action the Gardai tried to take to prevent it from going ahead.

That is a real bury your head in the sand argument. Basically what your saying is "the protest shouldn't have happened thereafore an effective policing plan should not have been put in place to manage it". It is sort of like like "drugs shouldn't be sold thereafore we shouldn't police drugs".

The Gardai should have accepted the protest was going to happen and put in place a strategy to try and prevent trouble from occurring. If SSG which is a much larger open space the risk of contagion would have been lower as it would have been easier to practice some sort of social distancing if we use your argument.

On the protest itself the Gardaimshould been better able to identify the individual who fired the firework pulled him out and arrested him not baton charged the crowd this caused unnecessary risk.

In fairness, if the gardai knew that it was just the one firework they would've stood off BUT, it wasnt just the one firework there were multiple of them, surely you don't expect the gardai to just stand there whilst fireworks are going off in their faces?

Presumably they had to charge the crowd to get him cause he was in the middle. I don't blame the gardai for anything during covid tbh, they are just doing their jobs. Most of them didn't sign up for all this covid sh**e.

I'm pointing the finger firmly at the government. And I'm not one of those people who blame the government for everything. (I know alot of governments are struggling but ours have been particularly bad).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That maniac with the firework could easily have seriously injured some of the protesters, never mind the Gardai. He walked through a packed crowd with a rocket that had already been lit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The only strategy the gardai should have employed is to start arresting people as soon as they arrived and started congregating. Anyone attempting to resist arrest should have been beaten into submission. The people of Ireland are sick to death (literally!) of these scum.

If this carry-on continues, we should be setting up temp prisons and locking these people up by the hundred. Keep them in pens until the pandemic is over.

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

Did they all just get a fine in court tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭jams100

dotsman wrote: »
    The only strategy the gardai should have employed is to start arresting people as soon as they arrived and started congregating. Anyone attempting to resist arrest should have been beaten into submission. The people of Ireland are sick to death (literally!) of these scum.

If this carry-on continues, we should be setting up temp prisons and locking these people up by the hundred. Keep them in pens until the pandemic is over.

Whilst I don't really agree with the protest itself, I think we need to thread a fine line here.

The right to protest is a fundamental part of any democracy, who are you or anyone else to say what should/shouldn't be a valid reason to protest?

Look, education is the key, alot of the people at that were probably their for what they felt/feel are the right reasons, and some of them have a point (Eg construction open is every country in Europe but not here).

Anyway, my point is not the restrictions per se, its that, if you tell people you cannot protest, your probably just adding fuel to the fire and more people will ultimately protest. At least that's what's likely to happen in a democracy, if you want ireland to become like China then that's another story altogether

Did the Gardai really expect that by closing Stephen's Green that the anti lockdown crowd would call off the protest.

I've no operational experience of policing, but even I still know that having an unconfirmed number of people protesting against you, in a wide open space where you can do little to create a tactical advantage, is a fcuking stupid idea.

:rolleyes:

They put them in the street so they could control them properly.

There does seem to be a strange silence around it. Presumably the usual wrist slaps, so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jams100 wrote: »
    Is it just for another couple of months though? (Genuine question). We still don't have a plan as to when we are going to open up...there's already talk about the need for restrictions next winter.
    There's a lot of people, like myself, who didn't go to the protest but are disillusioned with the direction we have taken. (5k, golf/tennis still being closed etc.).

So, when the over 70s and medically vulnerable are vaccinated why then are our leaders still seeing the need for many restrictions? What is the target here? To have zero infections, zero deaths or zero hospitalizations?

There's already good evidence on the vaccine front in nursing homes, why aren't nursing homes allowed one visitor per resident right now with masks?

I do feel that some people have become physiologically damaged by these lockdowns that they feel safe in a never ending lockdown.

On the issue of the firework, that person is an absolute s***bag.

I hope TDs see the bigger picture here that people are absolutely fed up at this stage and that activities that are relatively safe like golf and tennis where there is a maximum of 2 per group should be opened up straight away. Sure even with construction basically open cases have been dropping so that obviously seems safe enough

Your question. The Government have given the beginning of April when it is forecast that the current restrictions will be fully reviewed

All things going well with vaccinations and new case numbers decreasing then yes the plan is we will see restrictions start being rolled back.

Some are already in train - such as schools reopening.

Will all restrictions be thrown out the window? No. Because we will still be vaccinating old and vulnerable with second shots at that time. Visiting people who elderly in nusing homes is prohibited for the same reason.

Not all construction is restricted btw and again it looks like that will be change in the next couple of months

Do we have exact dates for restrictions being rolled back,? No because its nigh on impossible to align vaccination deadlines with knowing case numbers etc. That said I don't believe anyone wants a 'never ending lockdown' tbf.

Our current restrictions are little different to the UK. The lifting of their restrictions over the summer are also subject to infections rates being down and vaccination programmes running to schedule with lots of restrictions not being planned to be rolled back to muchnlater in the summer.

In the UK - they may not have a 5km rule for exercise however people are asked not to leave their homes unless absolutely necessary. That is still in place there as follows:
    You may exercise on your own, with one other person, or with your household or support bubble. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area. You cannot meet other people you do not live with, or have not formed a support bubble with, unless for a permitted reason.

There is no golf there and likely won't be until the end of March.

And remember they are much further ahead with their vaccination programme than the rest of Europe.

And that's where we're at atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

There does seem to be a strange silence around it. Presumably the usual wrist slaps, so.

oh ffs :rolleyes: i presume they would just be charged tonight, we do have rule of law here you know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

yabadabado wrote: »
    In every community in the country?
    I haven't seen a garda in weeks around my area and they definitely haven't called to any of the elderly or vulnerable in our community.
    I can answer that.To be honest,people wont want to hear this,but if ur from a poor area,the guards ignore ur calls unless its a major crime.
    I have lived on both side of the tracks in limerick.
    Petty crime in one area,is a major crime in another.

Whilst the person who fired the firework committed a criminal act and behaved like a thug and I will condemn that individual. The Garda response can only be described as utterly atrocious. Closing St.Stephens Green defied any reasonable logic.

This meant the crowd was being crammed into a much smaller space on Grafton Street which could only be seen as a provocation meaning far worse consequences if there was to be any any trouble at the protest which did happen.

If the protest had have been allowed to take place in Stephen's Green as originally intended the chances of trouble would have been reduced as 1. Stephen Green is larger open space meaning the chances of a crush were far lower and any individuals seeking to cause trouble could have easily been identified, removed and arrested. 2. Closing Stephen's Green was a provocation which only sought to anger protestors further thus increasing the possibility of trouble.

Conclusion whoever made the decision to move to close Stephen's Green today should resign from their position in AGS. This decision risked the safety of members of AGS, the protestors and members of the general public who may have gotten caught up in today's events. Quite frankly it was lucky no one was killed today and that is no exaggeration and most of the blame has to be put down to the incompetence of AGS.

Perhaps the member who made that decision had more information than you about the upcoming protest?
    There are protests everyday in town, in usual times, how many do you see public order, horses and dogs at?
    This was never going to be a peace protest and the gardai knew that.

On the protest itself the Gardaimshould been better able to identify the individual who fired the firework pulled him out and arrested him

Why are you presuming this didn't happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,060 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The scumbags won't win

I'd say a few of the sane people duped into attending had an epiphany when they saw a firework launched at Gardai and the QAnon slogans on display.
    YCyrEbA.gif?noredirect

Some of those previously vocal have been incredibly quiet since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nope.

Thirteen people remanded after special court sitting to deal with anti-lockdown protest arrests https://jrnl.ie/5367934

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I wonder did they go in the front door and run out the back door ? Probably a big conspiracy OMG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Absolute toerag behaviour yesterday, and it’s time ALL our TDs strongly condemn this, and our courts deal with this seriously, to send a message that mob violence cannot be tolerated in a civilised society..

Not expecting some theses anti society TDs to be at all supportive of AGS..

PBP and the likes? Anything from that shower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

walshb wrote: »
    Absolute toerag behaviour yesterday, and it’s time ALL our TDs strongly condemn this, and our courts deal with this seriously, to send a message that mob violence cannot be tolerated in a civilised society..

Not expecting some theses anti society TDs to be at all supportive of AGS..

PBP and the likes? Anything from that shower?
    PBP have strongly condemned it.

Statement on facebook
    fb://photo/3742619712496195?set=a.586962328061965

Statement on twitter
    https://twitter.com/pb4p/status/1365704274999672836?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Brendog wrote: »
    I see a lot of neat, fresh haircuts even though barbers are closed.....
    Also Foot Locker must be making a killing....

What a bunch of scumbags. Offer zero to society. If I was leader for the day. I'd have a ferry ready, herd them all on it and drop them to one of the uninhabited islands off the west coast with a bag of rice, a few tents and fishing rods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I watched the facebook livestream of the protest and I saw no violence or violent incidents when they marched to the GPO.

There were violent scumbags at the protest but like I've already said the vast majority were peaceful.

What would you expect the peaceful protestors to do, start fighting the protestors with the fireworks?

They couldn't really have done anything to stop them because that small group of protestors were clearly out to cause trouble

Lol. The protest yesterday was not peaceful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement