Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

trixi001 wrote: »
    Its standard practice to list an occupation - however in this case its very relevant, consider one of the jobs

Plumber - out of work due to covid..he may be self employed and over the last year has despaired that the business he has worked hard to buildup has been forced to close up..

Without knowing the specific situation, plumbing services and repairs are deemed essential with the lvl 5 lockdown. I understand it could be tied to another service or company that isn't allowed to stay open. But there's surely a better use of his time and skills than protesting and getting arrested. Other professions have been hit much harder..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

I'd assume the overlap between the BLM protestors and the lockdown protestors is quite big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

kazamo wrote: »
    Pity the protest didn’t take place at Dublin Airport.

Then the protesters who want an end to lockdown can meet the returning Irish holidaymakers who don’t believe the lockdown is for them anyway.
    It could be called a meeting of idiots

Anto and Britany needed that week in the sun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Most of the under 25 demographic are against covid restrictions. Especially males. Most young lads I speak to and words covid come up I immediately hear scam and hoax

GT89 wrote: »
    Why does it list their jobs as if that's really relevant.

Because they never mention their job when it's a Garda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Most of the under 25 demographic are against covid restrictions. Especially males. Most young lads I speak to and words covid come up I immediately hear scam and hoax

Stop talking to thick young lads.

Witcher wrote: »
    Stop talking to thick young lads.

Questioning the narrative is not thick in fact quite the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If what you are immediately hearing back is "scam" and "hoax".

Then the young lads you are talking to are clearly idiots.

Boggles wrote: »
    If what you are immediately hearing back is "scam" and "hoax".

Then the young lads you are talking to are clearly idiots.

Since when did discussion about covid become an IQ test?

Most people only go along with the restrictions because they dont question the narrative. That is a fact people are very anti restrictions or people who are very pro restrictions are in the minority.

• Advertisement

Most people only go along with the restrictions because they dont question the narrative. That is a fact people are very anti restrictions or people who are very pro restrictions are in the minority.

I talk to lots of under 25 demographic in my job. Yes some don't like it because they can't go on beer but in majority they are supportive of the reason why restrictions are in place. This is the same across all age groups so trying to say under 25 are different to everyone else is not true.

Plus plenty of people have questioned, what they don't do is join a group of scumbags to have a fight with the Gardai.

sebdavis wrote: »
    I talk to lots of under 25 demographic in my job. Yes some don't like it because they can't go on beer but in majority they are supportive of the reason why restrictions are in place. This is the same across all age groups so trying to say under 25 are different to everyone else is not true.

Plus plenty of people have questioned, what they don't do is join a group of scumbags to have a fight with the Gardai.

Is it possible that many of these under 25s you speak wouldn't say how they really feel to your face. They just nod along and agree but when speaking with their own age they say how they really feel.

Since when did discussion about covid become an IQ test?

You will find the people joining the likes of Gemma etc ain't the brightest stars in the sky to put it kindly. Just look at the followers who have difficulty spelling tricolour and couldn't even hum the national anthem, yet will call themselves "nationlist" and everyone else as "sheep".

Is it possible that many of these under 25s you speak wouldn't say how they really feel to your face. They just nod along and agree but when speaking with their own age they say how they really feel.

But they are in 100% agreement with you? could I not ask the exact same accusation to you?
    Who said I wasn't under 25?

You will find the people joining the likes of Gemma etc ain't the brightest stars in the sky to put it kindly. Just look at the followers who have difficulty spelling tricolour and couldn't even hum the national anthem, yet will call themselves "nationlist" and everyone else as "sheep".

Who said everyone who is against covid restrictions supports Gemma O'Doherty? I am against restrictions and I think she's a bit of an attention seeking nutjob myself.

But they are in 100% agreement with you? could I not ask the exact same accusation to you?
    Who said I wasn't under 25?

No not 100%. But many think lockdowns are disproportionate and they say things like covid only kills elderly people why should my life be severely disrupted.

Who said everyone who is against covid restrictions supports Gemma O'Doherty?

I didn't, who said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

papu wrote: »
    Without knowing the specific situation, plumbing services and repairs are deemed essential with the lvl 5 lockdown. I understand it could be tied to another service or company that isn't allowed to stay open. But there's surely a better use of his time and skills than protesting and getting arrested. Other professions have been hit much harder..

Wrong - only plumbing services on a emergency call out basis are deemed essential, so if you get a leak or your heating or shower breaks, the plumber can come to you - but how much of a plumbers business do you think this actually makes up?

No installing new bathrooms or kitchens, no new house builds.

For the normal self employed tradesman - emergency work makes up a very small proportion of the work, and it may not even be worth staying "operating" as if a self employed makes more than €960 over 8 weeks, there entitlement to PUP stops, yet they still have to pay the fixed costs of the business - insurance, van repayments, rgii fees, achi fees etc.

A close family member of mine is self employed as a tradesman, and its difficult at the minute, there is no end in sight still to get back to work properly.
    Whenever things were open he never turned down a single job worked practically every day, was afraid to take a day off, as he knew another lockdown was coming and wanted to make some money while he was allowed, all to the detriment of his own mental health and his family life suffered.
    Its not just the legalities affecting the domestic tradesmen, its also the fear factor the media are portraying, as people are afraid to have a tradesman in the house, even though they work safely, and in a separate room from the resident.

It doesn't matter if other occupations are hit harder, the point is what do you do if you can't earn a living? Ireland is the only country in Europe that has closed Construction for months on end.

Protesting may seem like the only option open left - sign all the online petitions, answer opinion polls, post on here or social media, but no-one in a position of authority takes any notice.

While protesting and getting arrested may not be the best use of his time - if someone is at the end of their tether, they will do anything.

Its easy for people sitting at home on full pay or happy on PUP with secure jobs to go back to to say that protesting is wrong, but when you are down 6 months income and the bills and debts are mounting up - I understand why people feel the need to protest.

I also understand that a lot of people at the protests were probably just scumbags looking an excuse to protest and completely disagree with the violence at it.

There seems to be a refusal to see the harm lockdown is doing, and to understand that people really are at the end of their tether with lockdown and the restictions.

On the plus side the sun is out today, spring is here and things are looking up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pretty dumb group of people you seem to circulate in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yes it is.

If they're calling it a scam or a hoax they're a fcuking idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Anyone know if they arrested the man with the firework?

Not yet. No surprise they did not lift him before getting all the CCTV. They won't want him getting off on a false arrest or technicality.

The armed support unit knocked on his door early this morning in South Co. Dublin (area in media reports over weekend) with the big red key but he was not home....and may not be for quite a while.

30yrs old, known to Garda. Not that they need any help to ID him, but the kid that lit the fuse recorded calling him by his first name to tell him it was a 8 shot rocket. That clip then uploaded to Social Media by someone behind them. As they say, it did not happen if its not recorded and uploaded to social media for likes, bragging rights... And hard evidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,058 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

The organisers should be the ones taken down--permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Garda have called to be bumped up the vaccine order and I agree fully.
    They have to deal with a lot of idiots who actively would harm them if they could, and now they can - by simply breathing on a Garda.

biko wrote: »
    Garda have called to be bumped up the vaccine order and I agree fully.
    They have to deal with a lot of idiots who actively would harm them if they could, and now they can - by simply breathing on a Garda.

Key workers. Due the jab in April or may I believe. Not much further up to be got really. Old and at risk through health and medical staff is all that's ahead of em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Aren't they already in group 10, that's above teachers, any guards who are high risk would already qualify under either group 4 or 7 i'd assume. It's important we get those initial groups vaccinated asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I believe that the head of the sergeants union or something was whinging about it on the radio yesterday.

Must have worked. Gards moved up.

I believe that the head of the sergeants union or something was whinging about it on the radio yesterday.

Fair play to them if they were

• Advertisement

Exmachina is unhappy, what a shocker

Advertisement