Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Fair play to them if they were

Yes its fantastic news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Exmachina is unhappy, what a shocker

Makes no odds to me. The gards are essential to the functioning of the country. Makes sense to have them vaccinated. Especially when we see people spitting at them at the protest on the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

GT89 wrote: »
    Since when did discussion about covid become an IQ test?
    Going straight to “scam” or “hoax” is not “questioning”, nor is it “discussion”. You don’t get any substantive discussion in a Facebook “echo chamber” set up by narcissists.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Must have worked. Gards moved up.

I haven't seen that published, from 10th to 9th?

Key workers. Due the jab in April or may I believe. Not much further up to be got really. Old and at risk through health and medical staff is all that's ahead of em.

CE Scheme participants assigned to closed care centres, barely worked a week in the last year, yet THEY are being vaccinated! Beggars belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

2 thoughts on the example of the plumber above:
    1. There is scarcely a plumber not working at the moment - they are all doing "Emergency works" and anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded. Unless he's a complete layabout and is happy with the PUP payment....
    2. If they really want the restrictions to end, showing up at an event with 500 other bell ends is probably more likely to aid the spread, not dampen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

2 thoughts on the example of the plumber above:
    1. There is scarcely a plumber not working at the moment - they are all doing "Emergency works" and anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded. Unless he's a complete layabout and is happy with the PUP payment....
    2. If they really want the restrictions to end, showing up at an event with 500 other bell ends is probably more likely to aid the spread, not dampen it.

1 - depends entirely on where they live - where i am you have to go through a checkpoint every time you leave the house nearly...plently of plumbers, sparks, builders, painters etc not working around here.

Yes, many plumbers are working - but with housing estates and big sites being closed (except to social housing), there is also plenty of plumbers not working

2 - Restrictions aren't going to end anytime soon anyway - a crowd outside is unlikely to cause a massive increase in cases anyway. Not everyone protesting is a bell end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Makes no odds to me. The gards are essential to the functioning of the country. Makes sense to have them vaccinated. Especially when we see people spitting at them at the protest on the weekend

I agree - now we must also ensure that the Army, or more over the "Irish" Army, are put to the back of the queue. They are very obviously non-essential and very much in hiding.

I am personally happy that the Guards are getting vaccinated first. They have been performing the Army duties for 12 months at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

cadaliac wrote: »
    I agree - now we must also ensure that the Army, or more over the "Irish" Army, are put to the back of the queue. They are very obviously non-essential and very much in hiding.

I am personally happy that the Guards are getting vaccinated first. They have been performing the Army duties for 12 months at this stage.

Explain please? :confused:

I'd call it discreet. You could find them anywhere from a nursing home to a testing center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭KaneToad

biko wrote: »
    Garda have called to be bumped up the vaccine order and I agree fully.
    They have to deal with a lot of idiots who actively would harm them if they could, and now they can - by simply breathing on a Garda.

Not all of them. There is a sizeable number of them who will never encounter a member of the public in the course of their job...e.g. a quick Google tells me

"There are approximately 3,020 full-time Garda staff undertaking administrative and technical duties within An Garda Síochána. "

I'd rather see the most vulnerable get the vaccines first. This includes the guards who have to deal directly with these protesting idiots.

I see several guarda union/representative heads calling for the vaccine priority. Would they be availing of the early vaccine themselves, despite them not working in a public facing role?

KaneToad wrote: »

I'd rather see the most vulnerable get the vaccines first. This includes the guards who have to deal directly with these protesting idiots.

I don't think they'd class themselves as the most vulnerable, workers in a lot of people facing jobs are dealing with idiots every day, there's a girl over in the work and jobs thread wondering how to stop some of the no fixed abode coughing on her.
    I had one chap completely freak out, spat all over the perspex and started kicking the counter, I was going to drop the cctv down to the guards but decided they'd better things to be doing than dealing with that ape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Not all of them. There is a sizeable number of them who will never encounter a member of the public in the course of their job...e.g. a quick Google tells me

"There are approximately 3,020 full-time Garda staff undertaking administrative and technical duties within An Garda Síochána. "

I see several guarda union/representative heads calling for the vaccine priority. Would they be availing of the early vaccine themselves, despite them not working in a public facing role?

'Garda staff' are civilians not Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Witcher wrote: »
    'Garda staff' are civilians not Gardai.

Non civilians in Ireland are members of the army. Everyone in the guards is a civilian.

But that has no bearing on my point. There are three thousand odd garda staff in admin/technical posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I mean teachers should obviously be bumped ahead of gardai, no?

I mean teachers should obviously be bumped ahead of gardai, no?

Well not necessarily. I don't know where anyone is on the list exactly, but are teachers due to get it soon? I don't believe so, my sister in law is a teacher and she has no idea when she will get it.
    Of course, teachers have 3 months of summer when they can get it, front line gardai will be dealing with the public everyday.
    Hopefully they will speed up with the vaccinations so shouldn't be much difference

Silly comment. Very silly.

The military have, despite is not being their actual purpose, been out there assisting in multiple areas for the duration of this event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭pah

Non civilians in Ireland are members of the army. Everyone in the guards is a civilian.

But that has no bearing on my point. There are three thousand odd garda staff in admin/technical posts.

Garda Staff are not sworn members of An Garda Síochána and are not represented by the GRA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How would the scumbags who attended that fireworks protest in the city centre a few weeks ago actually travel into it or get home from it.

If there was a Garda checkpoint near their own home; how could they get these checkpoints while they are outside of their properties. I would be giving the assumption here that a lot of questions will be asked by the Gardai to these individuals on a frequent basis to ask them why they are out of their home during their day to day business especially if they attending an anti lockdown protest in Dublin or in any other city within the country.

You would also have to ask if these individuals would be required to be seen talking to Gardai while they are wearing the face coverings at these checkpoints. If they were not wearing one & were caught spitting towards the Gardai; then the individuals who had their plans of going to these anti-lockdown protests would look pretty stupid in the eyes of the public if they were going out of their homes to cause that level of trouble.

I feel that no excuses should be given to these scumbags if they try & lie about their movements to the Gardai.

It feels that the behaviours of these so-called protestors who were arrested in Cork during the weekend are taking their level of ignorance to a whole new level while the lockdowns are still with us. If they know & understand about the punishments being handed out to them while they are out of their homes. Will they still continuously try to ignore them while they go outside & publicly give their grief to the members of the Gardai & to other members of the public?

If a firework was being targeted at another member of the Gardai at another lockdown protest during a weekend in another city outside of Dublin; well then the level of punishments being handed out to these scumbags should be seen as being more strict towards wider society. It would send a very clear message that the state is required to hand out a much more heavier impact with how they treat these incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I notice a bit of ramping up with checkpoints over the past few days, at applegreen gormanston, between the 2 applegreens, never saw one there before but has been there for past 3 days.
    Probably getting ready for mothers day, paddys day and easter.
    Also heard they are ramping up again in swords.

• Advertisement

I question what exactly is the goal of the checkpoints. I see one near me, and it has been on the same road, for the last month, every day. If I was outside my 5km, I would just avoid that road.
    And, literally the next street over, there's about 3 houses with 10-15 construction vans sitting outside them with teams working away on them, in-out all day, no masks, no social distancing.
    Also, if the Gardai aren't using the ANPR system as an aid to their checkpoints, they are an even bigger waste of time.

I question what exactly is the goal of the checkpoints. I see one near me, and it has been on the same road, for the last month, every day. If I was outside my 5km, I would just avoid that road.
    And, literally the next street over, there's about 3 houses with 10-15 construction vans sitting outside them with teams working away on them, in-out all day, no masks, no social distancing.
    Also, if the Gardai aren't using the ANPR system as an aid to their checkpoints, they are an even bigger waste of time.

Presumably you have reported these flagrant breaches of Covid regulations to the relevant authorities?

Presumably you have reported these flagrant breaches of Covid regulations to the relevant authorities?

Which authority would this be and would they care? If I thought there was any point, I would.

Which authority would this be and would they care? If I thought there was any point, I would.

So you didn't bother your arse doing anything, just came on here for a moan. Grand

So you didn't bother your arse doing anything, just came on here for a moan. Grand

Well why don't you answer my question then? Which authority should I report these to that will care?

Silly comment. Very silly.

The military have, despite is not being their actual purpose, been out there assisting in multiple areas for the duration of this event.

Haven't seen them and seem to be unable to get reliable source of information as to what they are doing.
    That doesn't mean that they aren't doing what you say, but they clearly are not visible to the public.

I

Who told you this? Genuine question.

Who told you this? Genuine question.

I don't believe they are anyway. I've walked past the same one every day twice and see no evidence of them using it.

If they are, and are using it for this purpose, I will gladly be corrected.

I don't believe they are anyway. I've walked past the same one every day twice and see no evidence of them using it.

What difference does it make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

ANPR would have no use for Covid breach detection so why does it matter if it's used or not.
    You may also be overestimating the availability of ANPR to Gardai units, ANPR is not very common at all, most patrol cars don't have them, hell even a good chunk of traffic cars don't have it fitted.

Advertisement