Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/home/616421/over-300-attend-traveller-funeral-as-mourners-break-through-garda-checkpoint.html

Imagine having to deal with this Bull****.

We,'ll never get out of this pandemic if this goes on.

One rule for them and one for us.

The gardai are powerless to deal with this.
    The government are weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/home/616421/over-300-attend-traveller-funeral-as-mourners-break-through-garda-checkpoint.html

The government are weak.

An ignorant people, can't be helped.
    Something, something culture.

How many fixed penalty notices were issued to them.
    None.
    Zero.
    But the rest of us....yeah ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The guards should gone in very heavily in that case. Multiple arrests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

How many fixed penalty notices were issued to them.
    None.
    Zero.
    But the rest of us....yeah ..

How so you know how many FCNs were issued?
    There are not handed on the spot and can be issued at a later date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Killinator wrote: »
    How so you know how many FCNs were issued?
    There are not handed on the spot and can be issued at a later date.

Good luck getting them to pay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Killinator wrote: »
    ANPR would have no use for Covid breach detection so why does it matter if it's used or not.
    You may also be overestimating the availability of ANPR to Gardai units, ANPR is not very common at all, most patrol cars don't have them, hell even a good chunk of traffic cars don't have it fitted.

Why would it be no use? Surely it can tell if somebody is driving around Dublin, and their address is in Cork they can't claim they are going to do their shopping?

I presumed it was available on all cars and I can't believe it isn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

The government are weak.

And they’re getting vaccinated first hahahahahhaha. What a country.

Good luck getting them to pay!
    Well that's the job of the courts to punish non-payment.
    Why would it be no use? Surely it can tell if somebody is driving around Dublin, and their address is in Cork they can't claim they are going to do their shopping?

Because the ANPR throws up a flag if there is an issue when it scans a registration. These flags relate to tax, insurance, nct and warnings placed on the vehicle.
    It doesn't have the facility to pop up the reg owner address as a flag for Covid breach. Even if it did flag a person away from their address the Gardai would still have to ascertain the reason for the persona journey and wether it was essential or within the regulations, so the ANPR would not be saving any time.

I would agree that all Gardai vehicles should be equipped with it but unfortunately the powers that be decided it wasnt worth the financial outlay to fit it to every vehicle and sadly as a result it is the exception in Gardai vehicles as opposed to the rule.
    Thankfully more and more Gardai are being issues mobility devices (phones) which can be used to check vehicle/driver details.

And you assume the registered owner is driving it?
    What if someone is registered to cork, but works in Dublin during the week?
    Or they're a student.
    Or they are entitled under law to be wherever they are?

Also, until such a time that people have to register their car, in person with identification, registered owners are not guaranteed to be the owner of the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

The government are weak.

Today I learned that the Travelling community are getting the vaccine earlier because they are an at risk group. Almost 10% of travellers have now contracted covid.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

They are part of the group

10 aged 18-64 years living working in crowded accommodation where self-isolation and social distancing is difficult to maintain

Which is one group ahead of people that have had to go to work every day and help maintain the essential goods supply chain.

And two groups ahead of teachers who are expected to be unvaccinated while we all pretend that kids don't catch covid as asymptomatic carriers.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Today I learned that the Travelling community are getting the vaccine earlier because they are an at risk group. Almost 10% of travellers have now contracted covid.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

They are part of the group

10 aged 18-64 years living working in crowded accommodation where self-isolation and social distancing is difficult to maintain

Which is one group ahead of people that have had to go to work every day and help maintain the essential goods supply chain.

And two groups ahead of teachers who are expected to be unvaccinated while we all pretend that kids don't catch covid as asymptomatic carriers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/carrick-funeral-investigation-5379002-Mar2021/

Its a bit late now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

As another poster said, ANPR wouldn't work/be a magic solution in covid. In your example, a car registered to an address in Cork, driving around Dublin

Could be a nurse, living and working in Dublin. When she bought the car two years ago, she was a student living at her parents address in Cork. There's no obligation or law that you've to update it.

Also, if you go out and buy a car tomorrow, you can give the seller an address of 123 Main Street, Clare. Then it's sent to Shannon. There's no verification in the process in terms of the owner and address.

The type of people blatantly breaking covid laws, would be the type of people to do this. I bought a used car on done deal, gave my name and address to the seller to fill out and send to Shannon. I could have given any name and address I wanted, if I wanted. Some civil servant in an office hasn't realised this or politicians don't wnat to spend money on verification, I don't know which .

Well most investigations tend to happen after an incident occurs.
    There's no pre-crime division.....yet

They'll probably track down who set up the tent and issue them with a fine for organizing and will have the names of several attendees and fine them too. Not much to be done after that.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Haven't seen them and seem to be unable to get reliable source of information as to what they are doing.
    That doesn't mean that they aren't doing what you say, but they clearly are not visible to the public.

So what if they aren't visible. How does that have any bearing? Because you don't see something, it didn't happen?

There's thousands of people performing tasks every single day that you and I don't see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You have to laugh as RTE with their Truth Matters advertising campaign and they won't even cover this story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The Gards in leitrim stood back and let the procession through. Whether because of fear or not being able to deal with the situation due to bad training I'm not sure.

It is a bit of an embarrassing situation for the force I would have thought but hopefully an isolated incident.

They have launched an " investigation ". Code for hang tight until it blows over

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The Gards in leitrim stood back and let the procession through. Whether because of fear or not being able to deal with the situation due to bad training I'm not sure.

How many Garda do you think Leitrim have?

What do you think the response should have been?

It is a bit of an embarrassing situation for the force I would have thought but hopefully an isolated incident.

They have launched an " investigation ". Code for hang tight until it blows over

Well assuming that "Gards" are Gardai, they would have had no powers to stop them by force

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Graham wrote: »

They knew the funeral was taking place and a large number of people were due to arrive to the area. Could easily have arranged reinforcements from another area for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Imagin having to deal with this Bull****.

The government are weak.[/QUOTE

I seen a clip of about 10 police cars chasing a woman out for a spin around Dublin.

Yet these guys do as they please.
    It looks bad for Law Enforcement.

10 police cars chasing a woman in the m50, in Dublin.
    How many gardai do you think are attached to the Sligo Leitrim division?
    A lot less than you think obviously

bubblypop wrote: »
    10 police cars chasing a woman in the m50, in Dublin.
    How many gardai do you think are attached to the Sligo Leitrim division?
    A lot less tha you think obviously[/QUOTE

So it is perfectly alright for this to happen you seem to think?

The Gardai knew for days this being arranged.

The guys chasing the silly woman should have being sent to Carrick for a day to do abit of real police.work.

These 2 instances must question how they enforce law.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that I think it's ok?
    I think there should be a much bigger presence of gardai in the country but there isnt.

Graham wrote: »

Enforce law equally for all citizens.
    Loads of Gardai in Dublin, Carrick 90 mins from Dublin for me on quiet day.
    Give me one of these fancy Gardai cars i do in about an hour?
    I bet i would see a few Garda on the journey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Met a checkpoint in North kerry this week and had all the family in the car.

Ags:. Where are you coming from.?
    Me: Dublin, heading home now.
    Ags: that's grand, carry on

Also saw one in Bluebell in Dublin that morning but they just waved traffic on. The worst was them narrowing the road to one lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I presumed ANPR could tell where the car was addressed to for insurance purposes. Learn something new every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Like I said in the main thread the Gardai need to employ more travellers, to sort out the anti-social problems, such as the funeral in Leitrim.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Enforce law equally for all citizens.
    Loads of Gardai in Dublin, Carrick 90 mins from Dublin for me on quiet day.
    Give me one of these fancy Gardai cars i do in about an hour?
    I bet i would see a few Garda on the journey...

Are you suggesting that the Gardai in Dublin should drive down to leitrim thus leaving Dublin with **** all Gardai?

Is that seriously your suggestion? All Dublin based Gardai to the funeral in leitrim so they can issue covid tickets and just ignore Dublin for the day? Then possible need to isolate for 2 weeks afterwards into the deal.

Brilliant!

(By the way I think there were too many cars involved in the m50 chase)

• Advertisement

Like I said in the main thread the Gardai need to employ more travellers, to sort out the anti-social problems, such as the funeral in Leitrim.

Aren't they free to apply just like everyone else?

Advertisement