Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One thing that does annoy me is the Gardai typically do not wear masks. They must be speaking to thousands of drivers a day and it just needs one of those drivers to be positive and a Gard could turn into a superspreader. It's basic common sense that they should all be wearing masks at checkpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

"Is there anything to be said for more checkpoints?"

This father ted stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yabadabado wrote: »
    In every community in the country?
    I haven't seen a garda in weeks around my area and they definitely haven't called to any of the elderly or vulnerable in our community.

Nor here as we have an excellent Community Support team who do all that and do it well. Deeply grateful for them. So the Gardaí can focus on their real work

Sorry; did not realise it is an old thread but it stands good all the same. Support continues.

miles of traffic jams this morning

Glad I don’t have to commute- it’s a pain but a necessary evil I think - it’s the small element of our society who don’t have the discipline to adhere to the guidelines that is making us all suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Glad I don’t have to commute- it’s a pain but a necessary evil I think - it’s the small element of our society who don’t have the discipline to adhere to the guidelines that is making us all suffer

Oh yeah because not like people have to go to work or school during rush hour. This isn't necessary first thing in the morning. A sure way to p1ss people off.

Plenty of commercial vehicles there

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1313768609697665025?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Oh yeah because not like people have to go to work or school during rush hour. This isn't necessary first thing in the morning. A sure way to p1ss people off.
    Plenty of commercial vehicles there

The people who are sat at home still being paid don't give a flying fork about these checkpoints, "I'm alright Jack"....

Meanwhile commercial truck drivers, workmen, nurses, doctors, people with other appointments all delayed over this pointless exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Beasty wrote: »
    One thing that does annoy me is the Gardai typically do not wear masks. They must be speaking to thousands of drivers a day and it just needs one of those drivers to be positive and a Gard could turn into a superspreader. It's basic common sense that they should all be wearing masks at checkpoints

you would assume they are social distancing though and it is outdoors, so easy to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

A sure way to p1ss people off.
    All part of the plan.
    Push people to a point where they'll be crying out for the alternative - mass use of surveillance apps and digital tracking (instead of physical gardai stopping people).

Every person will be reduced to a status: positive, negative, dangerous(untested or test/vaccine expired). Everyone's location will be tracked so if they're travelling outside their county/area & deemed 'unsafe' by tracking app, garda/enforcement receives alert.

This is where we're heading and it seems to be what many want. It's probably worth pausing to think a bit as to whether that's the kind of society you want. Once there is broad acceptance of such things (or the "whatever" attitude that leads to the same outcome), it will be too late to turn back.

eleventh wrote: »
    All part of the plan.
    Push people to a point where they'll be crying out for the alternative - mass use of surveillance apps and digital tracking (instead of physical gardai stopping people).

Every person will be reduced to a status: positive, negative, dangerous(untested or test/vaccine expired). Everyone's location will be tracked so if they're travelling outside their county/area & deemed 'unsafe' by tracking app, garda/enforcement receives alert.

This is where we're heading and it seems to be what many want. It's probably worth pausing to think a bit as to whether that's the kind of society you want. Once there is broad acceptance of such things (or the "whatever" attitude that leads to the same outcome), it will be too late to turn back.

just turn off your phone

i mean if they had a really nefarious motive they can already track your movements the data is there

i mean they really just wish this problem would go away, rather than yes this is a great way to turn the public into slave robots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

miles of traffic jams this morning

Was absolutely stupid. Major motorways blocked up. People delayed to work.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

All part of the plan.

Well that's it, we have learnt that Democracy is elastic and the Constitution is pliable and can be changed by state as needed.
    It can be changed in a time of War, an extreme circumstance...

It seems however that for a lot less some people want to roll back on the liberty that many generations before us fought hard for in Wars and Rebellions... And those liberties won't just return that easily and can be escalated even further....

just turn off your phone
    i mean if they had a really nefarious motive they can already track your movements the data is there
    i mean they really just wish this problem would go away, rather than yes this is a great way to turn the public into slave robots

Smartphones can't be "turned off"...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Smartphones can't be "turned off"...

i just turned my smart phone off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Need to remove the battery to be sure......

Some you can't....

The traffic is shocking with these checkpoints....
    Pretty pointless to be honest, where you going.... Wherever...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

The Guards should be deployed into certain housing estates to tackle the gangs of youths hanging around street corners and intimidating people

I rang the Guards last night and told them there was a gang of about 30 youths hanging around drinking and setting off fire works and asked if they would send a car around they said they had no cars available and once they are not causing major trouble they cant disperse them and there is nothing they can do..

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

The people who are sat at home still being paid don't give a flying fork about these checkpoints, "I'm alright Jack"....

Meanwhile commercial truck drivers, workmen, nurses, doctors, people with other appointments all delayed over this pointless exercise!

What in the name of god do people at home have to do with these checkpoints? Gov has done a hell of a job at turning people against eachother to cover their own shortfalls, incredible.

Anyway, what exactly happens then? You rock up to a checkpoint. Guard decides your journey, isn't essential. Advises you to turn around. You say no thanks and just drive through? Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

All part of the plan.

You sure think very highly of yourself if you think the Gardai/the government are that interested in you that they'd be tracking you in this manner.

which phones can't you turn off?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Just thinking I have not heard anymore adverts #we are all in it together

wardides wrote: »
    What in the name of god do people at home have to do with these checkpoints? Gov has done a hell of a job at turning people against eachother to cover their own shortfalls, incredible.
    Anyway, what exactly happens then? You rock up to a checkpoint. Guard decides your journey, isn't essential. Advises you to turn around. You say no thanks and just drive through? Madness.

They will check your Tax, insurance, NCT, license.. Seat belts.... if all checks out may even go for your tyre thread depth...breathalyze you...license plate font... loads of things..

• Advertisement

They will check your Tax, insurance, NCT, license.. Seat belts.... if all checks out may even go for your tyre thread depth...breathalyze you...license plate font... loads of things..

will they check the oil for me as well?

Perfect, and all is in order, have a nice day?

will they check the oil for me as well?

I'm sure they will, just stand over there and assume the position...

Perfect, and all is in order, have a nice day?

After the full search of you and your car for drugs also yes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

What the hell are the guards playing at?

When questioned on their inaction to stopping people breaking the rules - they cited they had no powers and could not do anything. Then they were asked if they need more powers by government last week and they answered no!

Do they just not WANT to police!?

Now these ridiculous checkpoints. It seems to be their answer for everything. For years the only time you ever see a guard is a checkpoints try to catch people going 5 k over the limit and get money out of them.

If they are not going to actually police they should be disbanded and rebuilt similar to RUC and PSNI.

And again, no drugs on me or car. No guns. Brilliant sir thanks, have a good day?

In the real world though, what do you think is happening at these checkpoints?

going to be some tail back from that

so you have drink taken, have no tax insurance or drivers license, your oil is low, you have agri diesel in the tank and some droogs in the back seat

perhaps you should stay at home

If they are not going to actually police they should be disbanded and rebuilt similar to RUC and PSNI.

It is an ex ruc/psni officer who came out on the news & said Gardai don't need anymore powers. So maybe not the correct course of action!

And again, no drugs on me or car. No guns. Brilliant sir thanks, have a good day?
    In the real world though, what do you think is happening at these checkpoints?

The whole point is.... while many are salivating at the idea of giving the Gardai more powers to detain people and hand out fines... and others think the Gards are useless... they forget that the Gardai have a wide range of powers to deal with people at these checkpoints and don't need anymore...

• Advertisement

going to be some tail back from that
    so you have drink taken, have no tax insurance or drivers license, your oil is low, you have agri diesel in the tank and some droogs in the back seat
    perhaps you should stay at home

Now you have it! Many people will just stay at home, therefore the argument to give the Gardai more powers including handing out fines isn't required.

Advertisement