Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

Some come to the window on the passenger side, are polite and courteous.

Others are rude,arrogant and unprofessional.

Same as all professions I suppose

Edit: in fairness the vast majority are polite and courteous

Correct so it's entirely plausible that one's wearing masks are not approaching.

I will approach at times but then I also wear a clean mask and I am of course polite ☺️

And 2 of them were standing right beside wash other.

What difference does that make? They work together 12 hours a day inside a car and station. Masks in the open aren't doing ****.

Sticking your head in without a mask is a fair grievance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Hilarious this big bonanza of garda activity today we are a laughing stock tax payers being taken for a ride for these over time bills to show some force.

Hilarious this big bonanza of garda activity today we are a laughing stock tax payers being taken for a ride for these over time bills to show some force.

Disagree- it well publicised in advance that there would be a heavy Garda presence- this prevented not just idiots protesting but those who would have dared venture for day trips to local scenic hotspots outside of their 5km limit- there’s no real bad news this evening on riots etc and that’s success in my book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Disagree- it well publicised in advance that there would be a heavy Garda presence- this prevented not just idiots protesting but those who would have dared venture for day trips to local scenic hotspots outside of their 5km limit- there’s no real bad news this evening on riots etc and that’s success in my book

how dare they venture!!!
    the absolute ignorance of them to venture with the threat of that 99.9% survival rate hanging over them
    the courts should take their homes and the pensions let them see out their days on a leper colony

paw patrol wrote: »
    how dare they venture!!!
    the absolute ignorance of them to venture with the threat of that 99.9% survival rate hanging over them
    the courts should take their homes and the pensions let them see out their days on a leper colony

its 98% by Irish numbers.

thats 100 thousand people if we just let rip. If thats your stance, so be it but thats a lot of deaths. The law of the land is still the law of the land, Enacted by the democratically elected government and enforced by the sworn police force. If you want that law revoked, speak to your local TD and vote accordingly

(I once again need to mention that there is no magical 5km limit though. That is only for exercise and absolutely nothing else. You cannot travel any distance for non essential reasons)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

thats 100 thousand people if we just let rip. If thats your stance, so be it but thats a lot of deaths. The law of the land is still the law of the land, Enacted by the democratically elected government and enforced by the sworn police force. If you want that law revoked, speak to your local TD and vote accordingly

(I once again need to mention that there is no magical 5km limit though. That is only for exercise and absolutely nothing else. You cannot travel any distance for non essential reasons)

It's only 98% if we detected every single case.

you are a garda , I accept this.
    But seriously "the law of the land" :rolleyes:

However I wish you backed me up on the other thread , when I made that very point that you need a reason to leave your house and if stopped that reason was validated by the agents of the state. Some nay-sayers didn't believe me

That said we can debate all day (but I'll spare the others)

1. what is a covid death? From covid or with covid
    2. The 2% in Ireland is based on almost 230,000 KNOWN positives- I'd say it ripped already - it's likely to be a factor of that based on other studies.
    3. The nursing home residents (and the obese) are unlikely be to out and about on my venturing. The risk is minimal, more risk to peoples lives me driving down side road to avoid the garda checkpoints.

thanks for your service, I hope you enjoy my taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

The law of the land is still the law of the land

I was only following orders.

• Advertisement

However I wish you backed me up on the other thread , when I made that very point that you need a reason to leave your house and if stopped that reason was validated by the agents of the state. Some nay-sayers didn't believe me

2. The 2% in Ireland is based on almost 230,000 KNOWN positives- I'd say it ripped already - it's likely to be a factor of that based on other studies.
    3. The nursing home residents (and the obese) are unlikely be to out and about on my venturing. The risk is minimal, more risk to peoples lives me driving down side road to avoid the garda checkpoints.

Multiple. Probable 3-4x.

A factor of 230,00 would by definition be less than or equal to 230,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Really?

Multiple. Probable 3-4x.

A factor of 230,00 would by definition be less than or equal to 230,000

but that's not what I meant and you know that.
    But you posted anyway.
    well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

On behalf of the poster you aimed that at, and having heard similar working in retail. It's the cringiest, most irrelevant thing in a debate.

Say that poster earns 1.5 million in their lifetime. 5 million people in the country.

You've contributed about 30cent to that posters entire salary in your entire lifetime.

Hell, let's double it and presume my 1.5 million estimate is way off. 60cent to that posters salary. That they then pay tax on and goes back into govt coffers.

I'll pay your share. Do you want cash or cheque?

And of course, that person pays plenty of tax himself

jhegarty wrote: »
    It's only 98% if we detected every single case.

Wheres the 99.7% number from? Unknown cases? :confused:

Cant have it both ways. we can only work on the numbers we have

I dont back people, I back comments. If I saw your comment and agree with it, I would back it. I probable just didnt see it or agree with it. Dunno

We can only work on the known, I understand your arguement but you cant reply on unknown presumption to reach a percentage of 99.7% and just expect acceptance. Lets just suggest at the moment that the known numbers are 1 in 5. Thats approx 1 million people that have had it. 5000 have died. Thats still not supporting your 99.7% number even with allowing for an extremely generous amount of unknown infections.

Why wouldnt the obese or auto immune be out? why wouldnt the older and more vulnerable be out and about? Please, explain how you reach this conclusion and factor in that you are arguing in favour of reducing restrictions so people will venture out more if you have your way.

Yep, law of the land. Not sure why you are your supporters are against that. Its just a simple fact. Not believe in the democractic system? Think we should be allowed ignore laws we deem wrong? Again, you can let your local TD know and vote accordingly. I shall do likewise with my views.

You are welcome but I have yet to encounter someone who makes that cringeworthy and pointless comment that paid more tax than I do. Generally they also completely fail to realise that we all pay eachother either in tax or by purchasing from their company and so on and so forth. Of course you work in a sector that relies on neither public or private fundingand rake it in, right?

Get Real wrote: »
    On behalf of the poster you aimed that at, and having heard similar working in retail. It's the cringiest, most irrelevant thing in a debate.

Why the fcuk would somebody in a retail setting say similar to staff about taxes? That would be weird as fcuk.

Unless you equating taxes and consensual discretionary spending?
    miles apart , mon ami. Maybe even alternate universes apart.

Get Real wrote: »
    Say that poster earns 1.5 million in their lifetime. 5 million people in the country.

You've contributed about 30cent to that posters entire salary in your entire lifetime.

Hell, let's double it and presume my 1.5 million estimate is way off. 60cent to that posters salary. That they then pay tax on and goes back into govt coffers.

I'll pay your share. Do you want cash or cheque?

If you had my share knocking about spare, fair play you are doing something right.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    And of course, that person pays plenty of tax himself

how'd you know? really?

how'd you know? really?

How do I know he pays taxes? I am aware of what he does for a living!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Why the fcuk would somebody in a retail setting say similar to staff about taxes? That would be weird as fcuk.

Unless you equating taxes and consensual discretionary spending?
    miles apart , mon ami. Maybe even alternate universes apart.

If you had my share knocking about spare, fair play you are doing something right.

how'd you know? really?

Mod:

Threadbanned seeing as you want to continue to troll

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    How do I know he pays taxes? I am aware of what he does for a living!

i thought you meant me. apologies. I was mistaken.

wages that are paid of tax money don't generate tax just that wage is taxed.
    you take 3 euro out of your purse and put 1 back. You haven't added to your total

But I promised the mod i'd be nicer so I'll leave it at that.

you take 3 euro out of your purse and put 1 back. You haven't added to your total

Global economics is a lot more complex than that.

Without public funds there would be nothing to pay you with. (If we are being simplistic)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Your threadban has not been lifted, I merely lifted your forum ban as per our discussion - don't post here again or you will have the forum sanction reapplied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'd like to see more road checkpoints.
    They've disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

They've disappeared.

Go into Dublin and drive around for a few hours. You will see plenty. According to the Waze app there are currently 4 within my 5km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They've disappeared.
    One on Sundrive road yesterday evening, another in Harolds cross this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Buffman

Checkpoint back on the M4 Westbound motorway at Maynooth, traffic already back to Celbridge. They weren't talking to anyone that I could see, just have it blocked to 1 lane. I really feel sorry for anyone facing into that after a days work.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Buffman wrote: »
    Checkpoint back on the M4 Westbound motorway at Maynooth, traffic already back to Celbridge. They weren't talking to anyone that I could see, just have it blocked to 1 lane. I really feel sorry for anyone facing into that after a days work.

Is the pointless exercise ever. I had reason to visit the commercial park beside the Applegreen yesterday at tea time. Heavy traffic coming from the motorway and going right at the roundabout to head for Maynooth. All they've done is make people find alternative routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

They've disappeared.

They're giving out gold stars now to motorists who have everything in check.

• Advertisement

Can you ask a Garda for their details if they are rude to you at a checkpoint?
    Buffman wrote: »

People will go mad if those checkpoints are still there tomorrow morning.

Advertisement