Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

"The Government’s persistent misrepresentation of citizens’ legal obligations offends the rule of law and corrodes public trust."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/covid-rules-and-the-rule-of-law-1.4532291

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭AUDI20

I wonder how many of these fines will be collected, at present I think I read that only about 30% have been paid. looks like the Courts will be busy for quite a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

0lddog wrote: »
    "The Government’s persistent misrepresentation of citizens’ legal obligations offends the rule of law and corrodes public trust."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/covid-rules-and-the-rule-of-law-1.4532291

He's right. Shoe shops were told they could open to appointments from last week for kids shoes but the regulations weren't changed and any shoe shop opening for appointments is breaking the health regulations and is open to prosecution. Even the 5km limit has been extended to the 5th of May even though it's supposedly gone from Monday. An utter shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭AUDI20

namloc1980 wrote: »
    He's right. Shoe shops were told they could open to appointments from last week for kids shoes but the regulations weren't changed and any shoe shop opening for appointments is breaking the health regulations and is open to prosecution. Even the 5km limit has been extended to the 5th of May even though it's supposedly gone from Monday. An utter shambles.

Can't see any notice of this on Gov.ie
    This is the notice from 12th April Travel= You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home if crossing county boundaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

AUDI20 wrote: »
    This is the notice from 12th April Travel= You can travel within your county or within 20km of your home if crossing county boundaries

The statutory instrument for the 5km limit (amongst other restrictions) was extended to the 5th of May.

S.I. No. 157 of 2021 Health Act 1947 (Section 31A - Temporary Restrictions) (COVID-19) (No. 10) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2021

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/1f150-view-statutory-instruments-related-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/

The notice on the website is not law. It's just a notice, it has no legal standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

AUDI20 wrote: »

Lol!

What a perfect illustration of the point of the letter in The Irish Times.

See AUDI20, the legal position is as namloc1980 posted.

You have been suckered into exactly what is described at

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/l...-law-1.4532291

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

Hard to know what to make of those numbers. There are roughly four times as many fines given for attending a party versus organizing a party.

Are they Gardai going around breaking up parties with an average of five people at them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Those five were the five who couldn't run very fast ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

... If it was County restrictions it would be easy, but where are they planning to put the checkpoints with this County and 20km hybrid approach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

gzoladz wrote: »
    ... If it was County restrictions it would be easy, but where are they planning to put the checkpoints with this County and 20km hybrid approach?

Checkpoints are done... From Monday travel is a free for all IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

gzoladz wrote: »

I was wondering about this one... maybe on the main roads as you leave one county for the next - N3, N7, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

mloc123 wrote: »
    Checkpoints are done...

Only if it's raining out! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They will target reg plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Only in Ireland eh? :D

It’s nonsense that we’ve had these silly travel restrictions for 7 months now when no other country deems them necessary.

Let’s hope we don’t have to deal with this silly inconvenience anymore.

I’m fooked so, I have a 211D and the car has never been in, within 75 miles of, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The Gardaí are absolutely sick of checkpoints, they mostly just sit in their cars now.

They are also absolutely sick of running around dealing with complaints from miserable, nosey curtain twitchers who are reporting tradespeople for working.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

Drive in and around Dublin for a living and haven't seen a checkpoint in a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

When do we think the county restrictions will end, do we think countrywide travel will be allowed on next easement in mid May?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Drive in and around Dublin for a living and haven't seen a checkpoint in a month.

Do you drive up the quays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is always a checkpoint in and around O'Connell Bridge, one on Amiens Street and on Malahide Road near the Artane roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think if your tax and insurance disc are in order they seem to wave you on handy enough have seen the checkpoints in the same places since this lockdown started unlike the previous one .

I drive from Tipp to Dublin a couple of times a week, and rarely see a checkpoint.

Back in January I had to do 2 trips from South Tipp to North of Belfast, 700KM journey and not one Guard/PSNI in sight.

I bet if I wanted to go for a stroll on the beach, I would meet one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

I’m fooked so, I have a 211D and the car has never been in, within 75 miles of, Dublin.

They can check where the car is registered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

NoDrama wrote: »
    I drive from Tipp to Dublin a couple of times a week, and rarely see a checkpoint.

Back in January I had to do 2 trips from South Tipp to North of Belfast, 700KM journey and not one Guard/PSNI in sight.

I bet if I wanted to go for a stroll on the beach, I would meet one.

Absolutely - AND you would get a ticket on your car for some sin when you got back from your walk - I’ve seen 100+ tickets lashed out onto windscreens in an hour by ) garda - mostly fixed penalty notices for parking in grass verges, some no tax etc.. You couldn’t make it up.

I’d say the hills of Wicklow will be a hotspot for e500 fineos - and Wexford for the holiday homes - all roads in and out!

Like the parks and beaches during the first lockdown - total targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It’s nonsense that we’ve had these silly travel restrictions for 7 months now when no other country deems them necessary.

Let’s hope we don’t have to deal with this silly inconvenience anymore.

Other countries had nightly curfews

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Absolutely - AND you would get a ticket on your car for some sin when you got back from your walk - I’ve seen 100+ tickets lashed out onto windscreens in an hour by ) garda - mostly fixed penalty notices for parking in grass verges, some no tax etc.. You couldn’t make it up.

I’d say the hills of Wicklow will be a hotspot for e500 fineos - and Wexford for the holiday homes - all roads in and out!

Like the parks and beaches during the first lockdown - total targets.

Gardai don't leave tickets on windscreens so that's a lie

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

GazzaL wrote: »
    The Gardaí are absolutely sick of checkpoints, they mostly just sit in their cars now.

They are also absolutely sick of running around dealing with complaints from miserable, nosey curtain twitchers who are reporting tradespeople for working.

I would probably have given you a threaban for your curtain twitchers comment, but as you are already banned from the AGS thread (having posted in the thread I merged into this) please be aware that threadban remains in place

Advertisement