Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

When do we think the county restrictions will end, do we think countrywide travel will be allowed on next easement in mid May?

Rumours were originally July but now sometime in June due to vaccination program ramping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

My personal experiences of encountering the Gardai on the road is 99% positive and professional. I abhor that we are in a situation that we are asked where we are going by law enforcement in a supposedly free Western democracy, but the Gardai have been ordered to carry out this duty, so that's what they have to do. The last time I was stopped, I told them that I was going to a hardware shop, and he said "grand". I was not going to lie and say that I was going to a grave or food shopping irrespective of the fear mindset that the government wants to instill in all of us.

But it is a sad situation in the manner that the Government tries to restrict our movements, which is why we should restrict their powers in the future to carry out such invasive prohibitions. Since they got away with it during Covid, who knows when they will try to do it again for whatever reason that they deem necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Stark wrote: »
    Rumours were originally July but now sometime in June due to vaccination program ramping up.

The objective is to allow people take a staycation, so any decision made for the last few weeks and until late June will be geared towards not having restrictions during the school break season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

They can check where the car is registered

That doesn’t tell them where you’re living

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Let not say things like that just yet, especially with AZ in the mix. Less likely to be disappointed if you stick with originals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aokay

Not sure where to ask this and sorry if not allowed but are the fixed penalty notices for breaking covid 19 travel restrictions issued in person or by mail. Got pulled by guard earlier and wasn't sure if he let me off as he didn't give me anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Aokay wrote: »
    Not sure where to ask this and sorry if not allowed but are the fixed penalty notices for breaking covid 19 travel restrictions issued in person or by mail. Got pulled by guard earlier and wasn't sure if he let me off as he didn't give me anything.

On the spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

On the spot

You are not physically given a fine on the spot. A Gardai can decide to fine you on the spot and inform you of same but you will receive the fine itself via the post.
    Gardai don't hand out physical fines on the spot

Anybody come across checkpoints so far today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Waze app suggest they're in the usual spots. Going for a cycle later this morning so will probably see the ones on the quays if they're there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Waze app suggest they're in the usual spots. Going for a cycle later this morning so will probably see the ones on the quays if they're there.

Why are they still doing checkpoints? Saw the usual one here being set up again this morning. Couldn't believe they are still harassing people going about their business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why are they still doing checkpoints? Saw the usual one here being set up again this morning. Couldn't believe they are still harassing people going about their business.

The easy money they are extracting from doing some over time and the substantial sick pay they are taking due to a drop of rain falling on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Drumcondra Road, Malahide Road and Quays were showing on Waze earlier. What's the point ?

Anyone here used the Graveyard reason only to be challenged by a Guard ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Not letting up on checkpoints down my neck of the woods.

Got stopped at 3 of them in my own county today asked where I was going where I was coming from and the reason for my travel at all 3.

Politely told them I was going "For a drive", would have loved to tell them to mind their own business.

One of them got smart with me and said that "going for a drive" wasn't deemed essential however he let me on my way.

My Reg is that of my county and quite frankly I am freely allowed move within my county now so it really isn't any of their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Not letting up on checkpoints down my neck of the woods.

Got stopped at 3 of them in my own county today asked where I was going where I was coming from and the reason for my travel at all 3.

Politely told them I was going "For a drive", would have loved to tell them to mind their own business.

One of them got smart with me and said that "going for a drive" wasn't deemed essential however he let me on my way.

My Reg is that of my county and quite frankly I am freely allowed move within my county now so it really isn't any of their business.

"Essential" is no longer a requirement...now we can move freely within our County and up to 20km from our residence.

I took today off just to go to places (parks, woods, etc) beyond 5k that I missed, and I did not see a signle checkpoint, but I do not know if there were there before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Boys must have no clue what to do with themselves today.

Parachutes wrote: »
    Boys must have no clue what to do with themselves today.

The usual checkpoint was set up near me this morning and gone by midday. No idea why they are still doing such checkpoints if we're supposedly free to travel within our county. They even had a couple of posts on the Garda twitter account earlier talking about checkpoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

gzoladz wrote: »
    "Essential" is no longer a requirement...now we can move freely within our County and up to 20km from our residence.

I took today off just to go to places (parks, woods, etc) beyond 5k that I missed, and I did not see a signle checkpoint, but I do not know if there were there before.
    I don't think the law has actually been updated yet, maybe they're technically right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Probably about time NAAS Roads policing unit set up their own Twitter feed, seems like not a day goes by when they've seized a few cars, the car pound in NAAS must be enormous and the recovery company making an absolute killing

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Drumcondra Road, Malahide Road and Quays were showing on Waze earlier. What's the point ?

Anyone here used the Graveyard reason only to be challenged by a Guard ?

Not sure if I was challeneged. I can say she was not overjoyed with me using it as the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

TheChizler wrote: »
    I don't think the law has actually been updated yet, maybe they're technically right!

Correct and Right !

Imagine fallout if some youg buck out of Templemore handed out a fine in the present circs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Not sure if I was challeneged. I can say she was not overjoyed with me using it as the reason.

What can they say though ? "No your lying, go home"

Never understood why people going to Lanzarote made up dental appointments- it’s very clear that grave visiting is allowed and there’s no pre-conditions to be met as far as I saw - so why not go abroad to “visit a grave” :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

So this is great, my daughter is back in school since yesterday and now I have a checkpoint to go through twice while dropping her off and twice on the way home.

They're even having a sneaky check of tax and insurance disks.

I'm getting really sick of this.

Still checkpoints going on. Farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Still checkpoints going on. Farcical.

I don't get it at all. Loads in Dublin still - while you have lots more people moving with Schools reopen etc. It is an actual attempt to annoy people?

batman_oh wrote: »
    I don't get it at all. Loads in Dublin still - while you have lots more people moving with Schools reopen etc. It is an actual attempt to annoy people?

The usual one near me is up and running as normal this week as if nothing has changed. Still asking people where they are going even though you don't need any reason to travel now within your county. Perhaps it is to purposely piss people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WhatNext?

So there's still lots of checkpoints about the place. Let's say you were travelling within your county to a park for recreation or exercise, and come across a checkpoint. Are you likely to get grief from the Garda? I would assume no, but then again why are they still asking the purpose of your journey at checkpoints?

They've been cracking down on beauty spots and popular areas where people have been congregating. But surely if you're within your county, now that the restrictions have been eased, they can't give you any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Travelled a good section of cork today, no checkpoints at all. Sure what harm? Just say you're going for exercise in the county. Can't stop you.

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Travelled a good section of cork today, no checkpoints at all. Sure what harm? Just say you're going for exercise in the county. Can't stop you.

Why do you have to say anything? Not sure where you went today but the usual checkpoints were out in force today in east Cork.

Advertisement