Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Tenzor07 wrote: »
      The whole point is.... while many are salivating at the idea of giving the Gardai more powers to detain people and hand out fines... and others think the Gards are useless... they forget that the Gardai have a wide range of powers to deal with people at these checkpoints and don't need anymore...

But realistically, all of what you have explained will not happen? Certainly not based off my experience. It's similar to advising the country to where a mask. Whilst there is no penalty for not doing so people will simply ignore it.

Take Spain for an example. Masks on 24/7 unless eating or drinking. Police patrolling regular, on the spot fines if not. Was there a couple of months back and did not see one person not wearing a mask. I'm not holding Spain up as a perfect example of dealing with Covid, but as an example that's a no brainer.

These checkpoints are completely pointless whilst things stand. And that isn't me having a pop at the guards, I actually don't even think there is a need for these checkpoints. Not sure how much they are needed when you look at the geographical location of cases over the past 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

John_Rambo wrote: »
      From what I can gather there has been a community policing initiative that's been implemented during this crisis where Gardai will assist the elderly and vulnerable with shopping for food, medicine and fuel for people that don't have the support of family and friends. So I guess that is specified? It tallies with what I've seen in my locality where we have elderly people in a purpose build community with little or no family support.

If there is already a strong community support group as we have here, then the Gardaí are not needed for this good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Deliberately delaying thousands including essential deliveries, emergency service workers, public transport just to "encourage" more people to stay at home is ridiculous.

Surely the Gardai are capable of selecting vehicles to stop without causing jams. Plus anyone who wants to break the guidelines can easily avoid the checkpoints.

Checkpoint in Galway today, holding up the traffic & no where near a County border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

wardides wrote: »
      But realistically, all of what you have explained will not happen? Certainly not based off my experience. It's similar to advising the country to where a mask. Whilst there is no penalty for not doing so people will simply ignore it.
      Take Spain for an example. Masks on 24/7 unless eating or drinking. Police patrolling regular, on the spot fines if not. Was there a couple of months back and did not see one person not wearing a mask. I'm not holding Spain up as a perfect example of dealing with Covid, but as an example that's a no brainer.
      These checkpoints are completely pointless whilst things stand. And that isn't me having a pop at the guards, I actually don't even think there is a need for these checkpoints. Not sure how much they are needed when you look at the geographical location of cases over the past 6 weeks.

In Spain you could be fined for leaving your home unless bringing a Dog for a walk.
      They have the Civil Gard which are more paramilitary in appearance out arresting transgressors.
      They have drones in the air monitoring compliance.
      One of the harshest Lockdowns in Europe apart from Italy maybe.

Despite all this they have the highest case rate of the virus in Europe...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Now you have it! Many people will just stay at home, therefore the argument to give the Gardai more powers including handing out fines isn't required.

the one breaking all those laws is it?

i think most will stay at home regardless

they still need fines for the those who couldn't give a ****

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The N7 is still slow, they've been there since at least 8 this morning. What a waste of everyone's time.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

In Spain you could be fined for leaving your home unless bringing a Dog for a walk.
      They have the Civil Gard which are more paramilitary in appearance out arresting transgressors.

but it was a **** storm before all this

they had little choice really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Are people supposed to just u turn on the motorway?

dmakc wrote: »
      Are people supposed to just u turn on the motorway?

Google maps :)

Google maps :)

And how does a garda ensure this? Wait for a friendly wave coming back the other side?

• Advertisement

Did you miss my point where i said I'm not holding up Spain as a perfect example? More that penalties lead to better compliance.

And how does a garda ensure this? Wait for a friendly wave coming back the other side?

Ya wha?

Did you miss my point where i said I'm not holding up Spain as a perfect example? More that penalties lead to better compliance.

Yes, was just making the point that in the countries like Spain who cracked down very hard on the population back at the start of this are now experiencing the highest levels of cases again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

You sure think very highly of yourself if you think the Gardai/the government are that interested in you that they'd be tracking you in this manner.
      Who decides what the gards are interested in?
      Why are gardai 'interested in' stopping people going about their day? What are your thoughts on it?

Yes, was just making the point that in the countries like Spain who cracked down very hard on the population back at the start of this are now experiencing the highest levels of cases again..

yes when they released the lockdown and started letting foreigners back in

so far the numbers of deaths havent correlated which was the whole point of the lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

He means use Google maps to avoid the checkpoint

Ya wha?

Sorry misunderstood

But that wasn't because of people not wearing masks. There's a huge investigation in Spain at the moment as to why their cases are so high. Much more testing would be the obvious one, but also culture and greater older population etc.

Getting back to the crux of my point, I just don't see anything putting people off travelling other than a bit longer of a journey due to delays at checkpoints. I think it's a massive waste of Gardaí time & resources.

well lets assume they put the checkpoints at points you can be turned off

anyway, the whole 5g conspiracy fall on its head when the police only really care about doing surveillance on the local chipper

so much so that they were caught lying about doing checkpoints for drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

What are those clowns doing stopping people on the motorway on a Wednesday morning? Where do they think people are going?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

What does a checkpoint in a county nowhere near a county border achieve regards Covid? For example here in Wexford I'd be in favour of checkpoints in and around New Ross on the Kilkenny border and Bunclody on the Carlow border and another on M11 near the border with Wicklow, there was a few around Wexford town today by all accounts but what do these achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Oranage2 wrote: »
      Does anyone know if you speak Irish to them do they have to let you go?

If you speak to them in English they have to let you go. They've no power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Glad I don’t have to commute- it’s a pain but a necessary evil I think - it’s the small element of our society who don’t have the discipline to adhere to the guidelines that is making us all suffer

Yeah, all those feckers who head on their holidays at rush hour on a Wednesday morning. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

What does a checkpoint in a county nowhere near a county border achieve regards Covid? For example here in Wexford I'd be in favour of checkpoints in and around New Ross on the Kilkenny border and Bunclody on the Carlow border and another on M11 near the border with Wicklow, there was a few around Wexford town today by all accounts but what do these achieve?

More checkpoints - more overtime payments. More overtime payments - the country will be a bankrupt quicker. When the state is a bankrupt, we can forget about any type of restrictions, lockdowns and other nonsense. Bingo. Bring level 5 as soon as possible!

I think it's a massive waste of Gardaí time & resources.

And money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Listening to drew Harris yesterday, he seemed to be saying, we can’t stop you but the kind of people who will go through the checkpoint will usually have made poor choices elsewhere as could be dealt with using other powers.

Is it just me or is that outrageous? I have no intention of leaving my county but if I did, I would be breaking no law so why would the guards be out to get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Basically nothing. It's purely optics so they can be seen to be doing something - and also getting a bit of handy overtime to boot. As another poster alluded to it's a ****iing Wednesday morning, all they are doing is disrupting law abiding people going to work and other essentials for the most part.

Shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Basically nothing. It's purely optics so they can be seen to be doing something - and also getting a bit of handy overtime to boot. As another poster alluded to it's a ****iing Wednesday morning, all they are doing is disrupting law abiding people going to work and other essentials for the most part.

Shambolic.
      Hard to disagree with that, seems there objective is to be seen doing something even if it achieves little or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Van.Bosch wrote: »
      Listening to drew Harris yesterday, he seemed to be saying, we can’t stop you but the kind of people who will go through the checkpoint will usually have made poor choices elsewhere as could be dealt with using other powers.

Is it just me or is that outrageous? I have no intention of leaving my county but if I did, I would be breaking no law so why would the guards be out to get me?
      ij

Yeah, I heard that, think he was suggesting that anyone who didn’t turn back would find guards giving their car a good inspection looking for the smallest fault.

• Advertisement
    • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
      I'm currently self isolating as I'm due to undergo knee surgery in the morning. Got to get from Wexford to Dublin later today as it's being done at the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry. As I'm isolating I should not be winding the window down to speak to anyone....

I'll put my appointment letter up to the window when stopped and see what reaction that gets

Just drove from South Coast to North County Dublin fearing for all the reported delays - did not encounter any checkpoints (used major roads/motorway all the way). There was one on the N11 SB but nothing at all NB

Advertisement