Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bubblypop wrote: »
    Doing their bit for what?
    MM said what?

Gardaí patrol the country as part of their job.

Doing their bit to save lives, MM still has us banned from crossing the county border, the only places i've constantly seen checkpoints throughout the pandemic is heading for the coast.
    You'd swear the Germans were invading with the Guards obsession for protecting the beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I have to say I'm in agreement with those posters who are complaining about Gardaí patrolling beauty spots. Areas like those pictured in the tweets above are large, isolated and outdoors. Even if daytrippers were to visit them en masse, the chance of a spike in cases, let alone an instance of solitary transmission, would be very low.

It's needlessly antagonising from An Garda Síochána and betrays an intention to catch people out and issue fines rather than police in the furtherance of the public's wellbeing. It amazes me that the Gardaí have taken such a keen interest in isolated, rural areas, especially considering they've never done so before. Living in such an area myself I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen a garda presence, despite a spate of burglaries and dog-nappings in recent years.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I a nutjob but there have been enough high profile incidents in recent years for people's faith in policing in this country to have been eroded and nonsense like the above causes only further anger and resentment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

silverharp wrote: »

dont criticise or question the garda info account, they dont like it and are fond of the block button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

neris wrote: »
    dont criticise or question the garda info account, they dont like it and are fond of the block button

Have a read of the comments on that tweet, what your saying doesn't really ring true!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluepurple

Killinator wrote: »
    Have a read of the comments on that tweet, what your saying doesn't really ring true!

If they block someone their tweet will still show up. Do you not know how twitter works?

• Advertisement

Doing their bit to save lives, MM still has us banned from crossing the county border, the only places i've constantly seen checkpoints throughout the pandemic is heading for the coast.
    You'd swear the Germans were invading with the Guards obsession for protecting the beaches.

You would swear there was nothing else going on in life with your obsession with the corona virus!
    Gardai doing their job, patrolling the country, is a good thing.

bluepurple wrote: »
    If they block someone their tweet will still show up. Do you not know how twitter works?

I've seen multiples of the same people on the Gardai Traffic account who are constantly complaining about everything the Gardai do, which means they aren't blocked.
    And of course you don't know if the majority of those commented on that tweet have been blocked either.

Im sure they do block the odd abusive one here and there though.

You would swear there was nothing else going on in life with your obsession with the corona virus!
    Gardai doing their job, patrolling the country, is a good thing.

There's an obsession with defending the lunacy of it as well, it's easy see who's not in danger of being decimated not by getting coronavirus but by the states continued reaction to it.

Controlling empty beaches is pointless, don't see how you see it as a good thing.

How is patrolling outdoor beauty spots keeping anyone safe, they're just winding people up with pictures like those. It's illegal for a lot of people to drive to those deserted spots. Farscical to believe that's saving lives, it's not just donegal they've been doing this all along.

How many campers murdered this year in those places?

Job done.

Been no earthquakes or bear attacks either. Outstanding work those men!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Publicity, lots of it.
    To be fair regardless of what political party he supports the Guards involved will want to have their ducks in a row.

Turns out it was one big fat scam and that the man involved had refused to send his children back to their mother in France.

Then people had a cheek of a second arse to say the kids were ‘kidnapped’.

Grifters gonna grift, and the same fools will fall for it.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    Turns out it was one big fat scam and that the man involved had refused to send his children back to their mother in France.

Then people had a cheek of a second arse to say the kids were ‘kidnapped’.

Grifters gonna grift, and the same fools will fall for it.

Well I'm shocked, stunned even that it turned out to be completely different to how it was portrayed initially, I mean who could have guessed that with the kinds of people who were hitching their wagon to it!

There's an obsession with defending the lunacy of it as well, it's easy see who's not in danger of being decimated not by getting coronavirus but by the states continued reaction to it.

Controlling empty beaches is pointless, don't see how you see it as a good thing.

Gardai patrol the country. Everywhere.
    Happened before covid, will happen after covid. Even happens now.
    Forget about covid. They are doing their jobs!

I have to say I'm in agreement with those posters who are complaining about Gardaí patrolling beauty spots. Areas like those pictured in the tweets above are large, isolated and outdoors. Even if daytrippers were to visit them en masse, the chance of a spike in cases, let alone an instance of solitary transmission, would be very low.

It's needlessly antagonising from An Garda Síochána and betrays an intention to catch people out and issue fines rather than police in the furtherance of the public's wellbeing. It amazes me that the Gardaí have taken such a keen interest in isolated, rural areas, especially considering they've never done so before. Living in such an area myself I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen a garda presence, despite a spate of burglaries and dog-nappings in recent years.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor am I a nutjob but there have been enough high profile incidents in recent years for people's faith in policing in this country to have been eroded and nonsense like the above causes only further anger and resentment.

Do you not see how absolutely ridiculous and contrary this comment is?

You are actually, in the same post managing to complain about crime in rural areas AND Gardai patrolling those areas.

Next up: niner leprechaun and bubble pop rolling around in the mud with Anto the junkie who has also **** himself.

Lovely. Sure twitter would love that but I'm unsure at what stage either would get a chance to get their phones out for the picture. Maybe Anto's moth jucinta could take a minute from screams abuse to do so?

Fyi, I have never once sent in a picture of myself working. Does that mean I have never worked?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Well I'm shocked, stunned even that it turned out to be completely different to how it was portrayed initially, I mean who could have guessed that with the kinds of people who were hitching their wagon to it!

https://www.thejournal.ie/court-of-appeal-children-return-france-mother-school-masks-5427900-May2021/

All because one of his children would have to wear a mask.

10k the NP collected on a gofundme apparently. Where’s that money going to go now? I assume they’ll accept responsibility and give it back

My flabber is well gasted

I presume drunkmonkey and the boys will be honest enough to hold their hands up and admit their errors?

Oh and may I just say, father of the year contender right there with this gem:
    While he did not want them to remain in Ireland permanently

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Point is people thought this was concerning enough to post up about the National Police force constantly tweeting pictures of them patrolling in wide open areas with no one around

Will will post about anything and everything. We live in a world of constantly outraged experts.

Perhaps ags should just abandon social media.

My flabber is well gasted

I presume drunkmonkey and the boys will be honest enough to hold their hands up and admit their errors?

Oh and may I just say, father of the year contender right there with this gem:

I'll always hold the hand up, I'd linked it to the incident in the Church based on the little evidence at the start hence my opening question, I was the first to call out it was related to a marriage break up.
    Just for the record i've no involvement with the NP, first time I seem JB on youtube thought it was a comedy sketch.

I'll always hold the hand up, I'd linked it to the incident in the Church based on the little evidence at the start hence my opening question, I was the first to call out it was related to a marriage break up.
    Just for the record i've no involvement with the NP, first time I seem JB on youtube thought it was a comedy sketch.

You were all over ags until it became obvious.

I didn't think you were np

Do you not see how absolutely ridiculous and contrary this comment is?

You are actually, in the same post managing to complain about crime in rural areas AND Gardai patrolling those areas.

Next up: niner leprechaun and bubble pop rolling around in the mud with Anto the junkie who has also **** himself.

Lovely. Sure twitter would love that but I'm unsure at what stage either would get a chance to get their phones out for the picture. Maybe Anto's moth jucinta could take a minute from screams abuse to do so?

Fyi, I have never once sent in a picture of myself working. Does that mean I have never worked?

If you read my post again you'll see I'm complaining about the Gardaí patrolling beauty spots. Such patrolling, in absolutely no way, serves the public health. It is merely designed to catch people out and to allow for the issuance of fines. A lot of people, myself included, find such measures to be in poor taste considering the vast majority of the public have been fully cooperative with the restrictions for over a year now.

Furthermore, my contention was that An Gardaí Síochána are paying undue attention to isolated beauty spots where no real offences are being committed (save summary offences based on warped logic) and yet the same attention is rarely ever lavished on rural areas, even when they are the target of crime. This has been my experience in recent years having been burgled, along with several neighbours and given the aforementioned spate of dog-nappings in my locale.

Finally, I appreciate that you are a garda yourself but likewise I would ask that you acknowledge that the behaviour of An Garda Síochána in recent years has left a lot to be desired and that, when such actions as those mentioned earlier in this thread are viewed within that context, it is easy to see why people have become so frustrated and angry.

They are doing their jobs!

Seems not all are happy about it..

Many rank and file Gardai are deeply upset and frustrated with the role that the Garda organisation has been asked to play during the Coronavirus lockdown, according to three members of the force who spoke with Gript.

https://gript.ie/gardai-say-pandemic-policing-damaging-image-of-force/

• Advertisement

Many rank and file Gardai are deeply upset and frustrated with the role that the Garda organisation has been asked to play during the Coronavirus lockdown, according to three members of the force who spoke with Gript.

You're missing the point.
    It's not about corona virus! Gardai patrol the country ALL THE TIME.

Edit. they were approached 'by a garda sergeant'
    Yep of course they were #rolleyes#

If you read my post again you'll see I'm complaining about the Gardaí patrolling beauty spots. Such patrolling, in absolutely no way, serves the public health. It is merely designed to catch people out and to allow for the issuance of fines. A lot of people, myself included, find such measures to be in poor taste considering the vast majority of the public have been fully cooperative with the restrictions for over a year now.

Furthermore, my contention was that An Gardaí Síochána are paying undue attention to isolated beauty spots where no real offences are being committed (save summary offences based on warped logic) and yet the same attention is rarely ever lavished on rural areas, even when they are the target of crime. This has been my experience in recent years having been burgled, along with several neighbours and given the aforementioned spate of dog-nappings in my locale.

Finally, I appreciate that you are a garda yourself but likewise I would ask that you acknowledge that the behaviour of An Garda Síochána in recent years has left a lot to be desired and that, when such actions as those mentioned earlier in this thread are viewed within that context, it is easy to see why people have become so frustrated and angry.

Every single year when the weather improves, so do visitors to beaches, forests, lakes etc.
    As the visitors to these areas increase, as do garda patrols of those areas.

Jaysis, gardai doing their job and STILL people complain!

You're missing the point.
    It's not about corona virus! Gardai patrol the country ALL THE TIME.

Edit. they were approached 'by a garda sergeant'
    Yep of course they were #rolleyes#

I knew it would be just dismissed as fake news, too predictable at this stage..

I travel a good bit of the country they seems to have an obsession with nice places outdoors, it's noted in the article, I know they patrol you don't need to keep saying it as your completely missing the point, it's about where they are patrolling.

I knew it would be just dismissed as fake news, too predictable at this stage..

I travel a good bit of the country they seems to have an obsession with nice places outdoors, it's noted in the article, I know they patrol you don't need to keep saying it as your completely missing the point, it's about where they are patrolling.

Is there somewhere that gardai should not patrol?

Is there somewhere that gardai should not patrol?

You tell us

“In some parts of the country you have someone who might be a bit of a covid hard liner, and we’re asked to police local beauty spots and intercept people out walking too far from home."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You are being entirely disingenuous here.
    When I said there was likely more to the story what did you say? What was your response?
    "There can't be a lot more to it".

You tell us

“In some parts of the country you have someone who might be a bit of a covid hard liner, and we’re asked to police local beauty spots and intercept people out walking too far from home."

Forget about covid pet.
    Is there somewhere in the country that you think gardai should not patrol?

Every single year when the weather improves, so do visitors to beaches, forests, lakes etc.
    As the visitors to these areas increase, as do garda patrols of those areas.

Jaysis, gardai doing their job and STILL people complain!

That's completely disingenuous. Gardaí have been patrolling these spots to issue fines, not to protect large gatherings from being targeted by criminal elements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gript...lol....I am out

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    You are being entirely disingenuous here.
    When I said there was likely more to the story what did you say? What was your response?
    "There can't be a lot more to it".

I've already said I linked it to the incident in the Church which considering the known circumstances at the time was a reasonable train of thought, we only know now there was a lot more to it, who told you first yesterday there was more to it.

Advertisement