Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Look at the state of this. Embarrassing.

People on here and Irish Twitter are using the word "embarrassing" with very strange examples for about a year now

What's embarrassing is the amount of scroates we have per capita in this country. Dublin and Limerick in particular

How bad is it in Dublin?

Well just today a video of a Jervis St shop owner taking on a scroate (and I'm delighted to say, knocking him out cold) has made it to the front page of r/PublicFreakOut

2,000 upvotes (like Boards' Thanks system) in 3 hours

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/nt1lr7/asian_store_owners_deal_with_a_disruptive_racist/

Is that the Asian shop by the Jervis Luas?

I think I had the older lad help me find a few items before. He was one of the nicest, most helpful, store workers I've ever had to deal with - literally ran around the store grabbing things I needed for me cause I said I was in a rush.

Sad to see this is the shíte they've to put up with.

Wish.com Connor McGregor goes down

And this one :pac:
    My favorite part is the friend grabbing his dick at the end and nervously adjusting his cock out of confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

elperello wrote: »
    I think you will find that all the authorities you mention and the Government are trying to to keep people safe rather than conspiring to spoil their fun.

The pub and restaurant opening is being phased in correctly and if everyone behaves themselves we can all look forward to better times.

If you read the press releases and advertisements you will see what is really meant by an "outdoor Summer".

It's certainly not going into town and making a nuisance of oneself by willfully misinterpreting the guidelines and rules.

Exactly and this disgraceful behaviour has insured the first week of outdoor dining pretty much ruined, who in their right mind would even consider it after this appalling behaviour.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Well done to he Guards. Scumbags have no place in a city centre in this day and age.

Can we expect to see riot police as a feature in all our cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

An Garda Siochana, is Siochana anything to do with Sekonda the watches, that's what it sounds like when a newsreader says the word

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Can we expect to see riot police as a feature in all our cities?

Unlikely, we have a public order unit, that may however be expanded after this outrage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's not it at all..

...the idea is that NPHET don't want to allow drinking at the bank holiday weekend, they've always held off on lifting of restrictions until after the holiday... Now we have the disaster of Sth. William street where instead of being managed by authorities they're sending in the Gards to baton charge people out of it... total mismanagement of something the council and the Gards knew was happening when the "outdoor Summer" was planned..

The "outdoor summer" was never actually planned which is the biggest problem, it was just a buzzword used by government (Varadkar in particular) to win political favour with no efforts made to facilitate it.

We have a shell of a government who handed over the pandemic response to NPHET and now appearing to be pointing the finger at councils for this.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Unlikely, we have a public order unit, that may however be expanded after this outrage

What outrage? The only outrageous thing is riot police on our streets. Completely over the top reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Sorry but there's no hassle in the city centre this evening, people have moved on when asked. Why come out with riot shields?

There's no need for it

It’s for show, for Tony. Tony humiliated the Gardai last week with his tweet.

Various politicians on the airwaves over the past few days, Blaming government, using the outdoor summer mantra, concerned about youth mental health because of the Pandemic, questioning Garda resources, Blaming local authorities for not having enough F****** toilets and then begrudgingly condemning the actions of a "small" few. Absolute Horse**** from the lot of them and they should be utterly ashamed for not calling this what it is, mindless thuggery. I've even seen on another bizzare Thread, people actually blaming the CMO"s tweet last week, mother of God, I truely dispair.

Various politicians on the airwaves over the past few days, Blaming government, using the outdoor summer mantra, concerned about youth mental health because of the Pandemic, questioning Garda resources, Blaming local authorities for not having enough F****** toilets and then begrudgingly condemning the actions of a "small" few. Absolute Horse**** from the lot of them and they should be utterly ashamed for not calling this what it is, mindless thuggery. I've even seen on another bizzare Thread, people actually blaming the CMO"s tweet last week, mother of God, I truely dispair.

What "mindless thuggery" warrants riot police on the streets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Riot squad in Temple Bar, they have the shields out...
    https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

The conspiracy theorists will love this. What’s next, city is only open during working hours? Totally ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It’s older people who should know better are causing trouble with cops according to my daughter who has just arrived home from there

What outrage? The only outrageous thing is riot police on our streets. Completely over the top reaction.

If you consider Mobs behaving atrociously, Peeing and S****** in door ways, Blocking business already struggling from trading, Hurling bottles at Gardai, Fighting in the streets and in broad daylight and ignoring the rules the majority adhere too not outrageous your clearly not getting the fact this is not normal or acceptable behaviour. The Gardai were given absolutely no choice but to be fully prepared and I congratulate them without question. And before you respond, check my previous posts, I'm no fan of Garda actions during the pandemic, namely absurd checkpoints etc etc

If this needs to be explained to you, I won't even bother trying

Riot squad in Temple Bar, they have the shields out...
    https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=templebar

And two hours ago

hd1yf56mxh371.jpg

Fair play Guards. Do your thing

Now I see the Narrative will be the cheek of the Gardai having Riot Gear on, how dare they frighten little Johnny and his scroat friends, they'll need more therapy and moddy codling from the state after this.

jackboy wrote: »
    It’s for show, for Tony. Tony humiliated the Gardai last week with his tweet.

O FFS!

If this needs to be explained to you, I won't even bother trying

So you have nothing? Fair enough, thanks for being honest.

From the IT yesterday
    Temple Bar Square was particularly busy with hundreds of young revellers drinking cans. Two young men climbed the walls of buildings in the square while onlookers cheered. Glass bottles were hurled at Garda vehicles as they arrived at Temple Bar Square to disperse hundreds of young drinkers.

And Reddit Ireland today
    I was in temple bar today less than an hour ago. It was literally a repeat of yesterday.

Its Mardi gras.

Thousands of people are in the streets drinking and fighting. Mostly down by the Stephen's Green end.

Pictures don't do it justice.

Bottom line is the scroates of this country will use any and every excuse to run amuck in the city centres

See also: the firework launched at a Gardai's head a few months ago under the guise of a "peaceful protest"

This is the same thing all over again, except the guise of this one is "a meaningful Summer"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Now I see the Narrative will be the cheek of the Gardai having Riot Gear on, how dare they frighten little Johnny and his scroat friends, they'll need more therapy and moddy codling from the state after this.

They are doing a good job this weekend. Many will be asking though why it takes special circumstances to get this standard of no nonsense policing in Dublin when it's needed every weekend covid or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's not it at all..

...the idea is that NPHET don't want to allow drinking at the bank holiday weekend, they've always held off on lifting of restrictions until after the holiday... Now we have the disaster of Sth. William street where instead of being managed by authorities they're sending in the Guards to baton charge people out of it... total mismanagement of something the council and the Guards knew was happening when the "outdoor Summer" was planned..

That's not what happened... or at least you are failing to mention that the Guards told the crowds to disperse... they did not... and bottles were thrown at the Guards >>> they were absolutely right to baton charge that mob.
    Well done to the Guards.

Our "Outdoor Summer "This an example of the sick warped thinking that young people seem to think that once you're outside u can do what u want, which seems to be drink in public places (not legal at anytime, Pandemic or not) gather in large crowds, without any social distancing and fight each other like scumbags.

We CANNOT allow the scenes where 60+ young people packed face to face in the bandstand in St Stephens Green. You cant tell me that from a public health point of view that this is anyway acceptable. Its by definition a super spreader event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I'd like to point out there was a thread in r/Ireland the other day with several posters expressing upset at the prospect of life going back to normal and one saying he suffered an anxiety attack seeing someone eating without a mask on so I think I know which end of the spectrum r/ireland lies on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

silverharp wrote: »
    i dont know the order of events but my question would be, were the gardai antagonistic or playing along and having the crack? It wasnt a political protest and it wasnt 2 groups of rival soccer fans.
    If there had been just normal weekend policing where would you ever get 20 odd gardai in the one spot?
    Yeah for sure the guards just decided to come in and crack some skulls for the craic. What planet are you living on?

https://twitter.com/crossytweets/status/1401119685404508163?s=21

ypres5 wrote: »
    I'd like to point out there was a thread in r/Ireland the other day with several posters expressing upset at the prospect of life going back to normal and one saying he suffered an anxiety attack seeing someone eating without a mask on so I think I know which end of the spectrum r/ireland lies on

I saw that only because I was sorting by "New" and it never made it past 10 upvotes if memory serves, so it is very far from the general thinking of r/Ireland

Also, social anxiety will very much be a thing for many in the next 6 months. In Ireland and elsewhere

People on here are struggling too, see here

Social anxiety after a 16 month (and counting) pandemic is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about

So you have nothing? Fair enough, thanks for being honest.

Your welcome, obviously your not appreciating a put down, take some time to look at ample video footage online, might better explain things a little

Er, all mindless thuggery warrants public order police.
    That's fairly obvious

That's not what happened... or at least you are failing to mention that the Guards told the crowds to disperse... they did not... and bottles were thrown at the Guards >>> they were absolutely right to baton charge that mob.
    Well done to the Guards.

Our "Outdoor Summer "This an example of the sick warped thinking that young people seem to think that once you're outside u can do what u want, which seems to be drink in public places (not legal at anytime, Pandemic or not) gather in large crowds, without any social distancing and fight each other like scumbags.

We CANNOT allow the scenes where 60+ young people packed face to face in the bandstand in St Stephens Green. You cant tell me that from a public health point of view that this is anyway acceptable. Its by definition a super spreader event.

"We cannot allow".... Jesus wept. Some amount of pearl clutching in that post.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Er, all mindless thuggery warrants public order police.
    That's fairly obvious

Really? If that's the case why don't we are them out more often? Why didn't they go charging in with batons at the traveller marquee wedding a few weeks back?

• Advertisement

Your welcome, obviously your not appreciating a put down, take some time to look at ample video footage online, might better explain things a little

Still nothing I see. Fairly embarrassing when you can't produce anything other than "do your own research". You sound like a conspiracy theorist. :pac:

Advertisement