Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Comments

An Garda Síochána are in serious, serious danger of "losing the dressing room" for an entire generation of people.

They should reflect very carefully in the very near future on whether they serve the people of Ireland, or the Government. They do not have to look too far (indeed, they can ask their Commissioner, sworn for life to serve Queen and Crown, but bizarrely chosen to run our police and intelligence service) what happens when large parts of the population see the police as something that's done to them, rather than something done for them.

The backlash to their behaviour during the last year is likely to have significant implications on their ability to police the country going forward.

Supreme Court judges, TDs and taoisigh get a free pass to do as they like, while citizens are attacked with coshes and dogs for daring to venture onto their own streets. This cannot hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Tough job for the Guards.

On the one hand you'd hope they would manage to defuse things so they wouldn't lead to needing public order units.

On the other hand we know there a lot of young thugs in the city who are effectively allowed run amok. They will take advantage of any opportunity.

Maybe we need to look at more controlled outdoor activities? E.g. seal off somewhere big like Dame Street, and run it like a massive concert with entry and exit being controlled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No surprise we have sections of people and people in positions of responsibility not backing the gardai here. They are part of the scum/thug element that is pervasive in Irish society..

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Really? If that's the case why don't we are them out more often? Why didn't they go charging in with batons at the traveller marquee wedding a few weeks back?

Well, firstly the public order unit are out, every weekend in Dublin. You probably don't hear about it because in general the public are well behaved.
    I don't know what Garda units were involved in the traveller wedding, but why would you consider a group of hundred or so people, in a marquee, in a field comparable to thousands of people inside in the small areas of the city centre, running amok and causing damage to properties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Supreme Court judges, TDs and taoisigh get a free pass to do as they like, while citizens are attacked with coshes and dogs for daring to venture onto their own streets. This cannot hold.

Coshes and dogs? Really?

• Advertisement

What "mindless thuggery" warrants riot police on the streets?

Bizarrest post I’ve seen on boards, and I’ve seen a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Friend of mine was hit on the leg by a bottle of beer thrown by a teenager this evening. He was lucky he wasn’t seriously hurt. I was out in town yesterday. Fantastic relaxed mood earlier in the day. People enjoying pints responsibly. Then the scumbags arrived with their cans, balloon gas things and the mood quickly turned sour. Left at that stage.

The Guards are dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t when it comes with dealing with these scrotes.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Various politicians on the airwaves over the past few days, Blaming government, using the outdoor summer mantra, concerned about youth mental health because of the Pandemic, questioning Garda resources, Blaming local authorities for not having enough F****** toilets and then begrudgingly condemning the actions of a "small" few. Absolute Horse**** from the lot of them and they should be utterly ashamed for not calling this what it is, mindless thuggery. I've even seen on another bizzare Thread, people actually blaming the CMO"s tweet last week, mother of God, I truely dispair.

Sickening shower of weasels..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Much more chill down in Cork.

walshb wrote: »
    Bizarres post I’ve seen on boards, and I’ve seen a lot.

Bizarres? What does that mean? Just looking for details of the mindless thuggery that was happening tonight that warranted riot police on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Valhallapt wrote: »
    What has this country become

It’s become a place where selfish little scrotes want to break the law, put the health and wellbeing of countless people including Gardai in jeopardy because they don’t want to pull their weight and muck in with everyone. Unsat, they can face the consequences, I hope with plenty of force to deter them next week.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Coshes and dogs? Really?

I'm genuinely unsure what your objection is to this description of long truncheons and canines.

I suspect you're one of the sorts who's currently waiting on the photograph of Drew Harris, Member of the Order of the British Empire, to finish printing so you can throw it up on the shrine next to your Tony Holohan photo, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wherever you sit on the issues, someone explain why they needed to do this ?

https://twitter.com/Darmolloy_/status/1401298201328640001?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Yes, I’d await the Garda side here before slating them!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Do you think gardai are bin men as well, is it?

They are busy dealing with scrotes drinking on the street.

Not complicated.

Not complicated.

Well you've completely missed the point, no surprise there though.

People not hassling anyone as mentioned, cleaning up after themselves they don't exactly look like scrotes either, I'd say a good chance they were moving on when asked. Your allowed to carry alcohol in a sealed container, that's not a crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Not complicated.

Are they legally allowed to take your unopened cans out of your bag, open them and pour the contents on the ground?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Are they legally allowed to take your unopened cans out of your bag, open them and pour the contents on the ground?

No and that's the point, only when a certain set of circumstances are met.

They can take the open ones as much as they want if your drinking them in DCC for example where the byelaw prohibits public drinking, not the closed ones unless your behaving in a way that endangers public safety.

( c ) the relevant person is acting in that place, or the relevant person and some or all of the accompanying persons are acting in that place, in a manner that —

(i) gives rise to a reasonable apprehension for the safety of persons or the safety of property or for the maintenance of the public peace, or

(ii) is causing, or gives rise to a reasonable apprehension is likely to cause, annoyance and nuisance to another person or persons or interference with that other person ’ s or persons ’ peaceful possession and enjoyment by that other person or persons of his or her, or their, as the case may be, property.

You've to be causing a public nuisance basically and be a threat to public safety.

I dont see much danger to public safety in that video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

No and that's the point.

They can take the open ones as much as they want, not the closed ones

Yes they can.

Section 8A (2)(b)(i) Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994

request the relevant person to immediately give the bottle or container to the member (or to another member of the Garda S í och á na accompanying the member) and at the same time as the request is made give to the relevant person a warning in ordinary language that a failure or refusal to comply with the request may lead to the seizure of the bottle or container or to his or her arrest or to both (or words to the like effect);

(ii) if the relevant person fails or refuses to comply with the request, seize, detain and remove, without warrant, the bottle or container with the use, if necessary, of such force as is reasonable in the circumstances;

Section 8A (9)(b)
    bottle or container ’ means a bottle or container irrespective of whether —

( a ) the bottle or container is opened or unopened

• Advertisement

An Garda Síochána are in serious, serious danger of "losing the dressing room" for an entire generation of people.

They should reflect very carefully in the very near future on whether they serve the people of Ireland, or the Government. They do not have to look too far (indeed, they can ask their Commissioner, sworn for life to serve Queen and Crown, but bizarrely chosen to run our police and intelligence service) what happens when large parts of the population see the police as something that's done to them, rather than something done for them.

The backlash to their behaviour during the last year is likely to have significant implications on their ability to police the country going forward.

Oh no they are going to lose the dressing room used by the scrotes

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I'm a very law-abiding person and they 'lost' me years ago. I've never encountered one who I didn't think was either really thick or really unpleasant. They probably need to be paid more so that the job becomes more attractive to a better class of person. Zero respect for them, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

"Your honour, young Michael has come from a troubled family and now sees the error of his ways"

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1401300520510369794

https://twitter.com/eoghanymurphy/status/1401298433244381189

Witcher wrote: »
    Yes they can.

Section 8A (2)(b)(i) Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994

Section 8A (9)(b)

You missed this part for some reason. I wonder why?:

Where a member of the Garda Síochána suspects, with reasonable cause, that an offence under this section or under section 5 or 6 is being committed, the member concerned may seize, obtain or remove, without warrant, any bottle or container, together with its contents,

The relevant sections are disorderly conduct or threatening and abusive behavior in a public place. They cannot just confiscate sealed containers of alcohol on a whim. Now maybe the lady in question was being abusive or disorderly? Didn't seem like she was

Well you've completely missed the point, no surprise there though.

People not hassling anyone as mentioned, cleaning up after themselves they don't exactly look like scrotes either, I'd say a good chance they were moving on when asked. Your allowed to carry alcohol in a sealed container, that's not a crime.

How do you know they were cleaning up after themselves? How do know they were not drinking on the street? How do you know they weren't scrotes or known to the Gardai?

You weren't privy to the encounter i'd say.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    "Your honour, young Michael has come from a troubled family and now sees the error of his ways"

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1401300520510369794

https://twitter.com/eoghanymurphy/status/1401298433244381189

Worst night of violence in 20 years... worse than May Day ? Worse than Love Ulster ?? Nah I don't think so.

Give me strength

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

You are watching too much UK soccer to be coming out with such silly phraseology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You missed this part for some reason. I wonder why?:

Where a member of the Garda Síochána suspects, with reasonable cause, that an offence under this section or under section 5 or 6 is being committed, the member concerned may seize, obtain or remove, without warrant, any bottle or container, together with its contents,

The relevant sections are disorderly conduct or threatening and abusive behavior in a public place. They cannot just confiscate sealed containers of alcohol on a whim. Now maybe the lady in question was being abusive or disorderly? Didn't seem like she was

You've just quoted a completely different section of the act...

You've quoted Section 4...a totally different section to the one I quoted

Worst night of violence in 20 years... worse than May Day ? Worse than Love Ulster ?? Nah I don't think so.

Give me strength

Whether it was worse or not why are you anti law and order?, criticising the gardai who were trying to bring safety and peace to the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Advertisement