Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ij

Yeah, I heard that, think he was suggesting that anyone who didn’t turn back would find guards giving their car a good inspection looking for the smallest fault.

Nuts isn’t it? It’s like saying, we don’t do our job most of the time but if you insist on doing something legal, we will do our job fully and check your light bulbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Shower of tramps holding up the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The obvious conclusion is that, if the Gardai have the resources for three weeks of this, then either they are ignoring crime or are overstaffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

More checkpoints - more overtime payments. More overtime payments - the country will be a bankrupt quicker. When the state is a bankrupt, we can forget about any type of restrictions, lockdowns and other nonsense. Bingo. Bring level 5 as soon as possible!

Yes very much a case of let’s milk this while we can.
    Anyone who thinks these checkpoints will make a blind bit of difference to coronavirus need their heads examined quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Beasty wrote: »
    Just drove from South Coast to North County Dublin fearing for all the reported delays - did not encounter any checkpoints (used major roads/motorway all the way). There was one on the N11 SB but nothing at all NB

They're more located on routes outside the city. Large checkpoint at Bray SB and on arterial routes outside the M50.

Absolutely massive talebacks still. Plenty of videos on social media.

Your drive back if coming past Bray won't be as pleasant. Very very long delays all through this morning and afternoon. What is normally a 10 min journey taking over an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Basically nothing. It's purely optics so they can be seen to be doing something - and also getting a bit of handy overtime to boot. As another poster alluded to it's a ****iing Wednesday morning, all they are doing is disrupting law abiding people going to work and other essentials for the most part.

Shambolic.

Seriously. You don't think politicians are in garda management's ears to cover their own arses if Level 3 goes t*ts up because they chose to go against NPHET?

"handy" as you say, overtime. Being forced to cancel annual leave, or arrange a baby sitter, or be called into work on your wife's birthday. To stand like a lollipop and get grief off people, while you have a tonne of paperwork and red tape that you can't get done on your work days, never mind your day off. 15 hour shifts?
    That's not handy. It's no choice. Imagine at the drop of a hat, you were rang at 10pm on a Friday evening, to come in for 6am on Saturday and tough if you've plans.

The guards themselves also commute to work don't forget, and also get caught in these ridiculous jams. They probably agree with you.

Just pawns taking the flak, many layers below the legal aid train, bureaucracy, politics and bomb passing.

I've never seen anyone have a pop at nurses when they can't get a bed in hospital. They blame the minister. Same should happen here. Overtime is a symptom of putting a plaster over a resource wound in the first place. What human wouldn't want there workload eased a bit by extra staff?

People should put in freedom of information to the minister and demand answers. Not moan at the lads on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Graces7 wrote: »
    If there is already a strong community support group as we have here, then the Gardaí are not needed for this good service.

That's great for you, but not everyone has that sort of community support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

so much so that they were caught lying about doing checkpoints for drink driving
    The guards will be tracked as well. The system will do the policing. Guards will step in as dictated by the system (enter homes/premises, search/verify who's there, etc).

I have no choice but to drive to work from Carlow now I'm face with the inconvenience of having to travel south on the N7 today because the 3 lane road is completely blocked at Black Church and the tail backs this morning were back to newlands cross!!!

I have to go to work to ensure those working from home can continue to work from home because the company provides critical services and yet I am being penalised for not having the privilege of working from home ? this is a disgrace to treat People like this.

Great opportunity to make income from out of tax, no NCT and no insurance........

We need to rise up against this, we really need to wake up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I have no choice but to drive to work from Carlow now I'm face with the inconvenience of having to travel south on the N7 today because the 3 lane road is completely blocked at Black Church and the tail backs this morning were back to newlands cross!!!

I have to go to work to ensure those working from home can continue to work from home because the company provides critical services and yet I am being penalised for not having the privilege of working from home ? this is a disgrace to treat People like this.

Great opportunity to make income from out of tax, no NCT and no insurance........

We need to rise up against this, we really need to wake up!!!

While I sympathise with your predicament, this wouldn't be happening if people copped the fcuk on and engaged in social distancing, masks etc.

This is the price to be paid for dumb fcuks not behaving themselves a month or two ago.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    While I sympathise with your predicament, this wouldn't be happening if people copped the fcuk on and engaged in social distancing, masks etc.

This is the price to be paid for dumb fcuks not behaving themselves a month or two ago.

You can sympathise when you have to go through one of these road blocks! I'll have to do this daily now or try to take more dangerous backroads but still taking me longer to get home.

Doing what they're doing does nothing to prevent virus spread because it just hugely inconveniences those of us who have no choice but to travel.

Where were the Guards when students were having parties ? etc etc.

This is a slippery slope, if we allow the Government away with this what next ?

A good time for criminals to wreak havoc.

It's not penalising us essential workers they should be doing it's praising us for the work we do to keep the economy ticking over and for ensuring essential services stay running, if something happens the services in my company then many thousands of workers or hundreds of thousands might not get their next pay for weeks, think about that, this is why we are required to be here doing continuous upgrades and maintenance, and that's just one of many services we provide.

This doesn't include if someone gets called out in the middle of the night all to endure these road blocks ?

Disgraceful!!!!

The people are gone at this stage. Most doing their own risk assessments based on the disease and statistics and simply aren’t frightened of it. You can rant and rave 24/7 about it and try frighten them like rte do but ultimately you won’t get into their heads, not now. It worked in March when people were genuinely scared. That time has passed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Enforce the laws we have, go after career criminals, thugs attacking people trying to enjoy life etc etc.....

A camera can do the job these supposed 1000s of officers are doing right now.....

Enforce the laws we have, go after career criminals, thugs attacking people trying to enjoy life etc etc.....

A camera can do the job these supposed 1000s of officers are doing right now.....

It's all about the Government telling you and I, the taxpayer, those that pay their wages that "they" are the ones in charge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Greatest pile of nonsense this morning, traffic jams was all that was achieved and few if anyone, including myself were even questioned, the cynic in me thinks GARDA HQ decided, cause as much inconvenience as possible, upset the general public and just maybe they might be allowed to go back to constructive police work. Just a farce with Zero enforcement allowed or even attempted, all show, no action basically.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I would hope that anyone with any ounce of compassion for us essential workers would speak up against this shocking display of Government abuse, we haven't the luxury of working from home and get absolutely nothing in the form of tax relief on fuel / electric that the rest of the People working from home don't have to pay for.......

And this is not going to stop those people!
    Waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Where are people going between 7-10 in the mornings?.They cant be going to pubs,or sports events as none are on. House parties are hardly on at that time either so surely 99.9% of people are on the road for work so what is the point in stopping them to ask them when they cannot even turn you around anyways:confused:
    Setting the checkpoints for between 9pm - 6am at least might make some sense and catch a few up to all types of no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Get Real wrote: »
    Seriously. You don't think politicians are in garda management's ears to cover their own arses if Level 3 goes t*ts up? You honestly think guards care?

"handy" overtime. Being forced to cancel annual leave, or arrange a baby sitter, or be called into work on your wife's birthday. To stand like a lollipop and get grief off people, while you have a tonne of paperwork and red tape that should be getting done. 15 hour shifts? That's not handy. It's no choice. Imagine at the drop of a hat, you were rang at 10pm on a Friday evening, to come in for 6am on Saturday and tough if you've plans.

The guards themselves also commute to work don't forget, and also get caught in these ridiculous jams. They probably agree with you. Just pawns taking the flak.

I've never seen anyone have a pop at nurses when they can't get a bed in hospital. They blame the minister. Same should happen here. People should put in freedom of information to the minister and demand answers. Not moan at the lads on the ground.

'Covering their own asses' is exactly what politicans and management do. It's a necessity in pretty much any position and quite naive to think otherwise.

In regards to the overtime. Extremely generous overtime rates is one of the perks of being a guard. They are extremely well incentivised for their extra hours, and the majority of guards are very grateful for any extra overtime they can get.

It's also part and parcel of what the signed up to - it is not a normal job. They exist to protect the public and uphold the law. It's reasonable that they will be held to account differently - just like nurses and doctors are in hospitals.

My issue isnt so much with the guards on the ground as such anyway -who I would like to think on the most part are well intentioned -. Its the gardai siochana as an entity that needs a complete change in leadership and mindset.

Pointless checkpoints like today are indicative of an out of touch police service and are just a big waste of everybody's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Disgraceful waste of resources with these checkpoints holding up people going about their work .Huge tailback on major roads for nothing to help in the covid battle .Handy enough overtime all the same for the police can take a break from the usual tasks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Treppen

It's obvious Gardaí don't want to do it.

They're told by the higher ups and politicians to stop cars even though people can legally tell em to feic off.

Gardaí don't want to be in that position so they're going overboard doing the dog so:

1. Back down
    And/Or
    2. Legal powers to produce the cuffs

They did the same trick before with another mad idea from the politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well that's it, we have learnt that Democracy is elastic and the Constitution is pliable and can be changed by state as needed.
    It can be changed in a time of War, an extreme circumstance...

It seems however that for a lot less some people want to roll back on the liberty that many generations before us fought hard for in Wars and Rebellions... And those liberties won't just return that easily and can be escalated even further....

Seriously man,give it a rest.

Disgraceful waste of resources with these checkpoints holding up people going about their work .Huge tailback on major roads for nothing to help in the covid battle .Handy enough overtime all the same for the police can take a break from the usual tasks .

At a time when they’ve had to start raiding the rainy day fund. I’m genuinely worried about the economy now. Before I had hoped we could muddle through bit it’s becoming apparent the cost is going to bury us soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Are those ****w1ts still on the N7 this evening? I have to head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

The guards could seriously do with getting their own stations covid compliant, never mind checkpoints where they have no actual power to stop people going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

taking one hour from Clondalkin to Naas

24x7 I believe until the end of the Month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Can they put those 132 checkpoints on the border?

Lockdown makes zero ****ing sense when 1/5th of the country is following different guidelines and policies and when riddled with Covid up there

Border closed when?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm currently self isolating as I'm due to undergo knee surgery in the morning. Got to get from Wexford to Dublin later today as it's being done at the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry. As I'm isolating I should not be winding the window down to speak to anyone....
    I'll put my appointment letter up to the window when stopped and see what reaction that gets

Best of Luck with All

• Advertisement

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Can they put those 132 checkpoints on the border?

Lockdown makes zero ****ing sense when 1/5th of the country is following different guidelines and policies and when riddled with Covid up there

Border closed when?

Within 24 hours of an animal disease hitting the country, that border was totally manned by gardai & army.
    Why the difference when it's a human disease?

Advertisement