Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Síochána - COVID19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, I’d await the Garda side here before slating them!

Exactly.

In context I live in the city centre, they have cleared streets three or four times, I'd imagine it's not the first time they've come across the same group. Town is mad, I've lived here for over a decade and I've never been afraid like I've been in the last few weeks. I wouldnt go out after dark. The gangs of teenagers roaming are looking for trouble. It's a few dozen people destroying it for everyone else.

If you don't go home after the guards have cleared you then it's perfectly acceptable to pour drinks out to encourage you to go home. The laws of the state and the DCC are different, the public drinking laws are there but rarely enforced as its not needed.......until things get out of hand

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    "Your honour, young Michael has come from a troubled family and now sees the error of his ways"

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1401300520510369794

This has been a growing problem in Dublin for years. Some people have been raising it and urging action on anti social behaviour and the lack of gardai in the city center. It has nothing to with Covid at all. That's just an excuse for them.

Scrotes have the run of the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Theses fooking weasel politicians (not all them) and that are the real problem...

Instead of all standing together ever for peace and safety for our people, they’re more concerned in points scoring and deflection and blaming.Horrible dangerous attitudes..and so devious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Witcher wrote: »
    You've just quoted a completely different section of the act...

You've quoted Section 4...a totally different section to the one I quoted

In that case you forgot to quote this part of that section.

the relevant person is acting in that place, or the relevant person and some or all of the accompanying persons are acting in that place, in a manner that

(i) gives rise to a reasonable apprehension for the safety of persons or the safety of property or for the maintenance of the public peace, or

(ii) is causing, or gives rise to a reasonable apprehension is likely to cause, annoyance and nuisance to another person or persons or interference with that other person ’ s or persons ’ peaceful possession and enjoyment by that other person or persons of his or her, or their, as the case may be, property.

Again can't take anything a whim. Over the top policing it seems like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You missed this part for some reason. I wonder why?:

Where a member of the Garda Síochána suspects, with reasonable cause, that an offence under this section or under section 5 or 6 is being committed, the member concerned may seize, obtain or remove, without warrant, any bottle or container, together with its contents,

The relevant sections are disorderly conduct or threatening and abusive behavior in a public place. They cannot just confiscate sealed containers of alcohol on a whim. Now maybe the lady in question was being abusive or disorderly? Didn't seem like she was

On the other hand according to Dublin City Council Intoxicating Liquor Bye Laws

8(b) Where a member of the Garda Siochana is of the opinion with reasonable
    cause that a person or persons is/are committing or has committed an offence
    under these bye-laws, that member may confiscate all intoxicating liquor in
    their possession.

https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/32178/1/Intox%20Bye-Laws%202008.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Onion Bahji

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Why are the Gardai “dispersing” anyone? Why don’t they p*ss off and do their actual job. They really are an embarrassment.

Anti law and order, give me a break, it's called being pragmatic.

An fyi I'm currently in the process of joining the force by the way. But yeah I'm so anti law and order....

I don’t believe you...

And if true, then I despair...

Posting Twitter rants to criticise the very organisation you say you’re joining..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

walshb wrote: »
    I don’t believe you...

And if true, then I despair...

Posting Twitter rants to criticise the very organisation you say you’re joining..

To be perfectly honest it doesn't really bother me what you believe or not.

Perfectly entitled to call out something if I think it's over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Scrotes have the run of the city center.

When did Irish people start using that word? Or is it just a Boards thing, like "woke"? I haven't heard it since I last watched The Bill (an '80s/'90s fictional drama series about the filth, innit).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Wherever you sit on the issues, someone explain why they needed to do this ?

https://twitter.com/Darmolloy_/status/1401298201328640001?s=19

You've no idea if that video is the whole situation or if something happened beforehand tbf. For all we know, they could have been doing something to justify this.

• Advertisement

When did Irish people start using that word? Or is it just a Boards thing, like "woke"? I haven't heard it since I last watched The Bill (an '80s/'90s fictional drama series about the filth, innit).

I prefer the term 'feral' meself but 'scrotes' seems to be the in word for scumbags at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

b0nk1e wrote: »
    An Garda Síochána are in serious, serious danger of "losing the dressing room" for an entire generation of people.

On the contrary i would suggest the vast majority of people will applaud their actions these past couple of nights, especially all those young people whose nights out have been ruined by a few dozen scumbags
    Supreme Court judges, TDs and taoisigh get a free pass to do as they like, while citizens are attacked with coshes and dogs for daring to venture onto their own streets. This cannot hold.

So why are people allowed out drinking on the streets for hours on end until the scumbgs turn up and ruin it for everyone? And dogs? really?

Why are the Gardai “dispersing” anyone? Why don’t they p*ss off and do their actual job. They really are an embarrassment.

People live in the city. They need to be able to go buy milk and get the paper or visit the doctor. Town is mental, it's impossible to get anywhere without having to walk through insanity. People get sick of opening their doors to people urinating on them or vomiting. I've no issue with the bars etc when they are open, they are generally reasonably well run and keep things under control. The city centre currently is completely out of control. The guards are not turning up randomly, they are being called by citizens who are being abused and terrorised in their own homes, I've called them myself.

It's a minority giving the rest a bad name but how on earth do you distinguish in a crowd like that, once the bars are open it'll become easier to delineate but the guards are doing their job, protecting the law abiding citizens trying to live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

lol reg hollis , tony stamp. great show it was until about 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

This Tweet pretty much nails it

There's some genuinely lovely people in Dublin city centre who just fancied a Summer evening drink over the past two days

Then of course the country's scumbag feral youths had to show up en mass and fcuk things up

And no doubt some of these scrotes are organizing themselves via WhatsApp groups

https://twitter.com/TimmyHammersley/status/1401289524492316679

People live in the city. They need to be able to go buy milk and get the paper or visit the doctor. Town is mental, it's impossible to get anywhere without having to walk through insanity. People get sick of opening their doors to people urinating on them or vomiting. I've no issue with the bars etc when they are open, they are generally reasonably well run and keep things under control. The city centre currently is completely out of control. The guards are not turning up randomly, they are being called by citizens who are being abused and terrorised in their own homes, I've called them myself.

It's a minority giving the rest a bad name but how on earth do you distinguish in a crowd like that, once the bars are open it'll become easier to delineate but the guards are doing their job, protecting the law abiding citizens trying to live and let live.

This behaviour has been going on in the city center and getting worse for years but mostly on the northside, nothing done.

Finally now it's happening to businesses/residents on the southside we might actually see something done.

I'm not making light of it btw, it's a bad experience for anyone having to endure it but it is an issue that has not been taken seriously in the city center.

Best post I have read that explains what, unfortunately, society has become!!!

Well done..............

Irony alert, btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Very civilised of you to introduce a little sub topic about etymology into a rather fraught discussion about trouble on the streets :)

As it happens you are correct, that particular word is more commonly used in the UK and has gained some traction here lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Onion Bahji

Another one that’s taken off is “gougers”. These people are sheep. They hear something on the radio and start repeating it mindlessly.

Easy to forget that boards is not representative of the country. It’s full of a middle-aged, very sheltered, right-leaning sort that love to see a few skulls getting slapped with police truncheons even in normal times.

This behaviour has been going on in the city center and getting worse for years but mostly on the northside, nothing done.

Finally now it's happening to businesses/residents on the southside we might actually see something done.

I'm not making light of it btw, it's a bad experience for anyone having to endure it but it is an issue that has not been taken seriously in the city center.

I agree it's always been there at a low level but the last 18 months have intensified the randomness of the events. I'd have wandered happily around the city at any hour a couple of years ago, I've been living in the city so long I'd have known half the lads hanging around town. It hasn't ever been taken seriously but this situation was always coming, the writing was on the wall the last 12 months and the level of mental illness amoung addicts and drinks in town, along with the roving teenage gangs makes it a very intimidating place.

I'm moving, I'll be sad to leave behind the city centre I knew but this version I'll be glad to see in my rear view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I can't comment for the rest of the country but "scroate" has been an expression to describe Dublin scumbags for at least 15 years now

Maybe even 20

It's a perfect word for them tbh. It even phonetically sounds like exactly what they are

Scroates

I was on south Anne st and I seen no bottle being thrown. It was horrendously packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

elperello wrote: »
    On the other hand according to Dublin City Council Intoxicating Liquor Bye Laws

8(b) Where a member of the Garda Siochana is of the opinion with reasonable
    cause that a person or persons is/are committing or has committed an offence
    under these bye-laws, that member may confiscate all intoxicating liquor in
    their possession.

https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/32178/1/Intox%20Bye-Laws%202008.pdf

Poor namloc trying to be smart and getting his ass handed to him :D

I agree it's always been there at a low level but the last 18 months have intensified the randomness of the events. I'd have wandered happily around the city at any hour a couoem of years ago, I've been living in the city so long I'd have known half the lad hanging around town. It hasn't ever been taken seriously but this situation was always coming, the writing was on the wall the last 12 months and the level of mental illness amoung addicts and drinks in town, along with the roving teenage gangs makes it a very intimidating place.

I'm moving, I'll be sad to leave behind the city centre I knew but this version I'll be glad to see in my rear view.

Sad to see people leaving the city center but I'm not surprised.

Effectively people are being forced out due to a peculiar tolerance of scumbag behaviour, no gardai and judges operating revolving door court rooms.

The consequences of that is the trouble we see now.

I don't believe it's going back to being 'safe' like it was before the pandemic not without radical reform of policing in the city.

People just won't go in there now because the perception, right or wrong, is that it is not safe.

I pity any tourists visiting as well.

Like you say it's been coming. Blue in the face saying it over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Exactly.

In context I live in the city centre, they have cleared streets three or four times, I'd imagine it's not the first time they've come across the same group. Town is mad, I've lived here for over a decade and I've never been afraid like I've been in the last few weeks. I wouldnt go out after dark. The gangs of teenagers roaming are looking for trouble. It's a few dozen people destroying it for everyone else.

If you don't go home after the guards have cleared you then it's perfectly acceptable to pour drinks out to encourage you to go home. The laws of the state and the DCC are different, the public drinking laws are there but rarely enforced as its not needed.......until things get out of hand

Ah sur don't be a spoilsport - according to some its just de young wans out enjoying themselves and de nasty gardai denying the kiddies hospitality or whatever: :rolleyes:

Another one that’s taken off is “gougers”. These people are sheep. They hear something on the radio and start repeating it mindlessly.

Easy to forget that boards is not representative of the country. It’s full of a middle-aged, very sheltered, right-leaning sort that love to see a few skulls getting slapped with police truncheons even in normal times.

Well we didnt see any of that last night, more's the pity

Effectively people are being forced out due to a peculiar tolerance of scumbag behaviour, no gardai and judges operating revolving door court rooms.

I don't believe it's going back to being safe like it was not without radical reform of policing in the city.

The move from heroin to uppers etc had a bad effect on the general mood. Strung out addicts are far more dangerous but the roving gangs of teenagers are progressively getting worse. There is an air of menace about them and the nature of the drug industry at the moment has encouraged more of them into it and they feel untouchable. Coke and a feeling of invincibility are a bad mix in a young person from a background lacking stability. We are also reaping the rewards of cutting social services in the recession.

I do hope it changes. It's terrible to see young people with such a casual approach to violence, it says something fundamental about our society we should all question but the guards absolutely have to act against these gangs in the short term.

Community guard programs being decimated in the recession also meant the only time most kids in some areas saw guards was in raids or the ERU with CAB. They have no relationship outside of this. That's not helping the situation but again that's a long term aim.

fullstop wrote: »
    Poor namloc trying to be smart and getting his ass handed to him :D

He was what? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I don't believe it's going back to being 'safe' like it was before the pandemic not without radical reform of policing in the city.

People just won't go in there now because the perception, right or wrong, is that it is not safe.

Exactly. You only need to look at what’s happening in Malahide and Howth at the weekend to see where this is heading without intervention. These scrotes (great word :) ) understand nothing less than a clatter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I suspect you're one of the sorts who's currently waiting on the photograph of Drew Harris, Member of the Order of the British Empire, to finish printing so you can throw it up on the shrine next to your Tony Holohan photo, though.

Do not post in this thread again

Advertisement